Pawhuska, OK
The Lodge - Moccasin Creek Share
Uploaded By: Heathen Hole #15 (Taken 9/2010)
Hole #15 Tee: 483'

Just another day in Paradise

1    6/9/2014   8/9/2014
Review By: Dan Ensor
Pros: -I played alone, and had never seen the course before. I never got lost, and never felt the need to walk the holes before playing. There were only 2 throws I would change playing again. It's very easy to navigate. The signs are accurate (other than one pin that had been moved recently) and very helpful.
-There seem to be chairs at every pin! Not benches. Chairs. That you might sit and bs with your friends at for a while, because this place is so beautiful!
-It's private property.
-The "fun factor" was exceptional for me. Lots of hole variety, etc. It punishes errant throws. I was very pleased playing placement golf and scoring just a few over par (I'm 910 rated).
-Peaceful and secluded. Other than the first and last holes, and a couple of holes playing along the highway, I could have forgotten other people existed for the day.
-Well maintained. The rough was rough, but the fairways were prisine.
Cons: The "cons" are barely cons.
-I wish there was a course map available (as I said, though, I had no issues with navigation)
-If you go off the fairway, it can get a little rough. There are some brush piles, etc.
-No other golfers. Seriously ... WTF Oklahomans? Get out and play some good golf! I very much expected to be able to join a group and have a guide, even without making plans with anyone. The more I played, the more I was shocked that wasn't the case.
Other Thoughts: I don't particularly enjoy reviewing courses, but I'm so happy that private courses like these, with wonderful people, wonderful golf, and wonderful scenery, are available, I must say something publicly. I doubt my review is helpful to someone preparing a bag for the course, but hopefully you can see what an amazing time I had here, and what a wonderful place this is even without a golf course.

While trying to find this course, I found two dissenting locations. So I called Jim to ask for directions (after I had missed a few turns). Who ended up being one of the nicest, most helpful people I've ever spoken to. The course is easy to find with proper directions.
I had heard there might be snakes about, so I was very cautious. It certainly looks like a great place for snakes to chill. I never saw a snake, though. I did see several newts/salamanders, turtles, hawks, and my first wild lizard! That alone made the trip a pleasure :) I would make a $5 donation to go on a nature walk here.

Rugged: Loved It

1    10/19/2012   12/13/2012
Review By: rd.bittle
Pros: Great baskets
Good concrete tee pads
Great mix of shots. Required every shot in my bag.
Mix of holes. Wooded. Heavily wooded. Water. Open.
Great access trails to get around on
Good workout
Not crowded
Some short some long holes
We had a blast.
Very challenging

Favorite Hole(s): #4, #5, #7, #12, #13
Loved all of them. No repeats. No bad holes.
Cons: Only one tee for each hole
Almost no signs when we played (not a big deal since we had a guide)
Rough walking (no big deal for me but can be a con for some)
Needsa directionals
No restrooms (NBD)
Bring your own water
Other Thoughts: Loved this course.
Recommend you bring a RTV or ATV of some kind. Camp on site.
Call ahead and stay a while.
This is a must play if you happen to be within 3-4hours of here.
Wonderful property with two topnotch courses
You won't regret the trip it takes to get here.

Both of these courses have a huge FUN FACTOR. Would be rated a 5 on fun alone, but, the very few cons keep it from being "perfect."

Will be back.
You will be too.

Moccasin Creek

1    9/1/2012   9/1/2012
Review By: BigGAC1
Pros: Excellent design providing a challenging course that will require you to throw just about every shot in your bag. Very creative use of elevation - a rarity in Oklahoma. Water comes in to play on a number of holes, and is utilized well. Bridges allow easy access to pins on nearly every hole that water is guarding the pin. Very well maintained course. Natural hazards are well used. Also I really liked the suspended pin - a creative idea that I hadn't seen before.
Cons: Signage could have been better. It seemed like all holes had signs at one point or another but many of them are missing now. Also a few of the really long open holes pretty much just seemed like they were there only to give you access to the rest of the interesting holes - although they are needed if you are going to start and end at the house.
Other Thoughts: If you go in the summer or at least before it cools off significantly make sure you BRING WATER! This course is can be HOT. Jim the owner is a really nice guy - he allowed us to take a break in his house, fill up our water bottles and enjoy the AC while we rested between courses. Also they had just posted new signage directing between holes, which was super helpful because it would have been confusing without it. All around a great course - if you're in northern OK you should definitely check this course (and its sister course) out.

Awesome

1    4/15/2012   7/11/2012
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays on a secluded private property, much of this course feels very far away from civilization. There are lots of minor to moderate elevation changes, adding some challenge and variety throughout the course. The creek comes into play on several holes, offering some tricky drives and a few risky greens.

The beginning and end of the course play in the field, with some smaller ponds in play and some longer distance holes. The middle of the course has some great wooded shots, with tight tunnels and a great balance of left and right turning holes. You'll need a full set of line shaping skills to be successful.

The concrete tees are in good shape, and have plenty of room. The signage is adequate to follow the course, with no major navigation hiccups. The signs on this course have hole layout, making it easier to figure out where to throw.
Cons: The open holes at the end feel a bit like filler to get back from the cool terrain back by the creek, but I understand the need to start and end by the clubhouse. A few spots have some long prairie grass, I'm not a big fan of that as a disc golf obstacle.
Other Thoughts: This is a great disc golf destination with two fantastic courses. Beginners are going to find this course pretty tough, there aren't any short tees and there is plenty of length and water. More experienced players will definitely be challenged, with a great variety of shots required to do well here. I would definitely recommend a stop if you're anywhere near here, and make sure to donate to the course fund to thank the owners for opening up this great pair of courses to the public.

Best Course in OK

5+    12/28/2011   12/30/2011
Review By: Chuckms
Pros: Great all around course with tons of challenges...technical shots, long bombs, wind holes, elevation, Moccasin will test you and you will most likely lose. But you'll have the best time doing it. Being a private makes for relaxing golf, nothing to worry about. Baskets are in good condition overall, tee's are excellent (don't know why someone said they need concrete, every tee is concrete). Plus having another difficult yet fun sister course on the same property makes this a must-visit for locals and travelers alike.
Cons: Really the only con in my opinion is the distance from a major city. It takes 45' to get here from Tulsa, so accessibility is difficult, though can be a positive as you rarely run into anyone out here besides tournament days. Also, tee signs are present but many have fallen off (laminated signs) and are weighted down by nearby rocks. Not the worst thing but a little annoying.
Other Thoughts: If you have the time to get there, you must play Moccasin and the Island courses. If you have time for one and you're a decent player, play this one. I've never heard anyone say one negative thing about the lodge concerning the makeup of the courses, rather they sing their praises. Also, make sure to stop by and thank (donate even) the Taylors who keep these courses up...it doesn't come free and they're very welcoming to anyone who wants to play.

Bring Extra Discs.

1    6/7/2011   6/17/2011
Review By: utahjap
Pros: Provides a wide variety of challenges, including some very long throws, tight throws and some combining the two. Also had some unique obstacles and a hanging basket!
Cons: Keep your eyes on your disc. While it was well maintained there were plenty of places that could swallow your disc.

HELL YA!!!!

1    10/3/2009   10/5/2009
Review By: Roc1Time
Pros: One of my favorite courses have EVER played if not my favorite. There is every single shot that you can think of on this course. There are wide open holes that allow you to air it out, or because it is so manicured, you can throw your rollers. Then you go to the short holes where you get to try your midranges out. The elevation is phenomenal!! There is elevation almost everywhere are some of the greens are the coolest I have ever seen. Some memorable holes are 6, which is a downhill tunnel shot about 350, then island sits on a little penisula that has a creek that runs all the way around it. Hole 9 is another downhill tunnel shot that allows an accurate shot to be an ace run and a beauty at that. There is a hanging basket on hole 12 which is very interesting. Hole 13 is a monster inverted L shot. You have to throw a perfect 350 foot shot to line yourself up for the downhill tunnel that is another 300 or so. Watch out for the creek that runs behind the hole about 50 feet that you cant see till its too late. Hole 15 has some gas pumps that split the fairway which is something I have never seen before. There are many more but I dont want to ruin the surprise for you when you get there. Trust me, it will be like Christmas morning when you see these holes! The concrete teepads are very nice and are just long enough for the run ups. The discatchers are great and look brand new. The navigation is easier here then the other course making it very easy to follow. The tee signs are super nice. Everything is so clean and mowed, branches are manicured and everything. There is some serious time taken by the landowners at this place.There is a clubhouse being built at the entrance with a grill and bathroom already operational. It appears that they will have a place to hang out and buy discs in the future. I cant say enough how fun this course is even though it will kick your butt. This is a champion level course and not for the faint at heart. But if you can take it you will thank yourself for putting up with it and you will beg for more, its that good!
Cons: Cant think of many except for there a just a couple of blinds holes that need to be scouted first time out, but your good after one round. Hole 5 was kind of weak because there wasn't really a shot, it was just more luck then anything. That is really it besides it being far away from everything, but well worth it.
Other Thoughts: Mix both of these courses together and it is GREAT. Together on both of them there are 4 different layouts. The only reason it didnt get a 5 is because of those little nitpick things. I have never given anything a 5 bt this is the first one I have actually thought about it! The place is free even though it is private course. Donations are accepted and 5 or 10 bucks is worth every cent when you see how well this place is taken care of and knowing that Jim takes care of everything himself, so hook him up with a thanks!