Pawhuska, OK
The Lodge - Moccasin Creek Share
Uploaded By: Heathen Hole #7 (Taken 9/2010)
3 / --   3 / --   3 / 390ft.   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole # 7 Approach

Just another day in Paradise

1    6/9/2014   8/9/2014
Review By: Dan Ensor
Pros: -I played alone, and had never seen the course before. I never got lost, and never felt the need to walk the holes before playing. There were only 2 throws I would change playing again. It's very easy to navigate. The signs are accurate (other than one pin that had been moved recently) and very helpful.
-There seem to be chairs at every pin! Not benches. Chairs. That you might sit and bs with your friends at for a while, because this place is so beautiful!
-It's private property.
-The "fun factor" was exceptional for me. Lots of hole variety, etc. It punishes errant throws. I was very pleased playing placement golf and scoring just a few over par (I'm 910 rated).
-Peaceful and secluded. Other than the first and last holes, and a couple of holes playing along the highway, I could have forgotten other people existed for the day.
-Well maintained. The rough was rough, but the fairways were prisine.
Cons: The "cons" are barely cons.
-I wish there was a course map available (as I said, though, I had no issues with navigation)
-If you go off the fairway, it can get a little rough. There are some brush piles, etc.
-No other golfers. Seriously ... WTF Oklahomans? Get out and play some good golf! I very much expected to be able to join a group and have a guide, even without making plans with anyone. The more I played, the more I was shocked that wasn't the case.
Other Thoughts: I don't particularly enjoy reviewing courses, but I'm so happy that private courses like these, with wonderful people, wonderful golf, and wonderful scenery, are available, I must say something publicly. I doubt my review is helpful to someone preparing a bag for the course, but hopefully you can see what an amazing time I had here, and what a wonderful place this is even without a golf course.

While trying to find this course, I found two dissenting locations. So I called Jim to ask for directions (after I had missed a few turns). Who ended up being one of the nicest, most helpful people I've ever spoken to. The course is easy to find with proper directions.
I had heard there might be snakes about, so I was very cautious. It certainly looks like a great place for snakes to chill. I never saw a snake, though. I did see several newts/salamanders, turtles, hawks, and my first wild lizard! That alone made the trip a pleasure :) I would make a $5 donation to go on a nature walk here.

Rugged: Loved It

1    10/19/2012   12/13/2012
Review By: rd.bittle
Pros: Great baskets
Good concrete tee pads
Great mix of shots. Required every shot in my bag.
Mix of holes. Wooded. Heavily wooded. Water. Open.
Great access trails to get around on
Good workout
Not crowded
Some short some long holes
We had a blast.
Very challenging

Favorite Hole(s): #4, #5, #7, #12, #13
Loved all of them. No repeats. No bad holes.
Cons: Only one tee for each hole
Almost no signs when we played (not a big deal since we had a guide)
Rough walking (no big deal for me but can be a con for some)
Needsa directionals
No restrooms (NBD)
Bring your own water
Other Thoughts: Loved this course.
Recommend you bring a RTV or ATV of some kind. Camp on site.
Call ahead and stay a while.
This is a must play if you happen to be within 3-4hours of here.
Wonderful property with two topnotch courses
You won't regret the trip it takes to get here.

Both of these courses have a huge FUN FACTOR. Would be rated a 5 on fun alone, but, the very few cons keep it from being "perfect."

Will be back.
You will be too.

Oh! The Agony!

1    10/19/2012   12/3/2012
Review By: TylerM
Pros: This review is excruciating!
First off, I want to be very clear about how I rate courses. I favor amenities very heavily. This course had 0 amenities. Now for my review:

Wow!! That's what I thought on hole after hole while playing this course. Unbelievable layouts, awesome risk / reward shots, punishing roughs, you name it this course has it. Challenging in the third degree!

Nearly every hole was "epic". My favorites : 4,5,6,7,9,10, and 18. Oh, and most of the others as well! The mixture of left, right, straight, blind, elevation, water, trees, and just plain distance made every hole an adventure. It's been a month and a half since I played and I remember most holes in detail. No boring holes here!

Not crowded. Great baskets. Great concrete pads.

Cons: No amenities. Bathrooms are behind a tree. Bring your own water and snacks.

No signs. Without a guide it would be very hard the first time you played. Lots of blind shots and a little hard to navigate between some holes. This is why I can't give Moccasin Creek a 5.

Rough terrain is not suited for out of shape discers. You'll know you've done something when you're done here.

Other Thoughts: I waited a long time to do this review because I know this is the best course I have ever played. I had fun playing here even though my score was up closer to my IQ than my shoe size. This course is just plain MEAN! It just was not my favorite kind of disc golf. I play to relax and there is none of that here.

I do wish for that reason they would establish some am pads like they did on the Island course. With signs and short tees, this course would be so much better.

Play at the Lodge if you get a chance. This course along with the Island course are the ultimate in Oklahoma disc golf!

Moccasin Creek

1    9/1/2012   9/1/2012
Review By: BigGAC1
Pros: Excellent design providing a challenging course that will require you to throw just about every shot in your bag. Very creative use of elevation - a rarity in Oklahoma. Water comes in to play on a number of holes, and is utilized well. Bridges allow easy access to pins on nearly every hole that water is guarding the pin. Very well maintained course. Natural hazards are well used. Also I really liked the suspended pin - a creative idea that I hadn't seen before.
Cons: Signage could have been better. It seemed like all holes had signs at one point or another but many of them are missing now. Also a few of the really long open holes pretty much just seemed like they were there only to give you access to the rest of the interesting holes - although they are needed if you are going to start and end at the house.
Other Thoughts: If you go in the summer or at least before it cools off significantly make sure you BRING WATER! This course is can be HOT. Jim the owner is a really nice guy - he allowed us to take a break in his house, fill up our water bottles and enjoy the AC while we rested between courses. Also they had just posted new signage directing between holes, which was super helpful because it would have been confusing without it. All around a great course - if you're in northern OK you should definitely check this course (and its sister course) out.

Awesome

1    4/15/2012   7/11/2012
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays on a secluded private property, much of this course feels very far away from civilization. There are lots of minor to moderate elevation changes, adding some challenge and variety throughout the course. The creek comes into play on several holes, offering some tricky drives and a few risky greens.

The beginning and end of the course play in the field, with some smaller ponds in play and some longer distance holes. The middle of the course has some great wooded shots, with tight tunnels and a great balance of left and right turning holes. You'll need a full set of line shaping skills to be successful.

The concrete tees are in good shape, and have plenty of room. The signage is adequate to follow the course, with no major navigation hiccups. The signs on this course have hole layout, making it easier to figure out where to throw.
Cons: The open holes at the end feel a bit like filler to get back from the cool terrain back by the creek, but I understand the need to start and end by the clubhouse. A few spots have some long prairie grass, I'm not a big fan of that as a disc golf obstacle.
Other Thoughts: This is a great disc golf destination with two fantastic courses. Beginners are going to find this course pretty tough, there aren't any short tees and there is plenty of length and water. More experienced players will definitely be challenged, with a great variety of shots required to do well here. I would definitely recommend a stop if you're anywhere near here, and make sure to donate to the course fund to thank the owners for opening up this great pair of courses to the public.

Best Course in OK

5+    12/28/2011   12/30/2011
Review By: Chuckms
Pros: Great all around course with tons of challenges...technical shots, long bombs, wind holes, elevation, Moccasin will test you and you will most likely lose. But you'll have the best time doing it. Being a private makes for relaxing golf, nothing to worry about. Baskets are in good condition overall, tee's are excellent (don't know why someone said they need concrete, every tee is concrete). Plus having another difficult yet fun sister course on the same property makes this a must-visit for locals and travelers alike.
Cons: Really the only con in my opinion is the distance from a major city. It takes 45' to get here from Tulsa, so accessibility is difficult, though can be a positive as you rarely run into anyone out here besides tournament days. Also, tee signs are present but many have fallen off (laminated signs) and are weighted down by nearby rocks. Not the worst thing but a little annoying.
Other Thoughts: If you have the time to get there, you must play Moccasin and the Island courses. If you have time for one and you're a decent player, play this one. I've never heard anyone say one negative thing about the lodge concerning the makeup of the courses, rather they sing their praises. Also, make sure to stop by and thank (donate even) the Taylors who keep these courses up...it doesn't come free and they're very welcoming to anyone who wants to play.

Bombs away

1    9/29/2010   11/29/2011
Review By: mike_james
Pros: Good people, good food, great time. Long bombing holes beautifully layed out through a private ranch. Nice compliment to the island course. easy to navigate. One of the best times I've had playing dg.
Cons: Just the length, I guess, but I enjoy that. Could maybe use concrete tee pads. That's it.
Other Thoughts: Must play. Worth most any drive, and just ask and you can stay the night for free. Check out the dining hall and sign the wall

Pawhuska Proud!

1    1/7/2011   7/21/2011
Pros: 1) Interesting history behind this property and Jim will tell you about it. He played a round with me on this course and he told about hidden treasure in some of the rocky areas on the course . . . robbers who would hold up stagecoaches in this property and go hide in the hills to the west of his land. Its a fun story and it adds to the allure of this course. I want to come back every winter now!

2) Hanging basket is used on this course which is pretty cool . . .but it is about the same height as if it was installed so it would only be more challenging if it was moving or if you let the fact that it isn't fixed to the ground get into your head.

3) Oil well's would normally be an eyesore on a disc golf course but this is Oklahoma and it is part of the history . . . plus they are in the right spot to force you to think about your shot. There also were some massive metal tanks maybe 10-15' tall that definitely can influence your shot.

4) Constant Challenge on this course and you will struggle with 4's, 5's, and 6's from time to time.

5) Awesome variety once again mixing in all the key elements of good disc golf course design.

6) Water is in play on multiple holes which I always appreciate . . . plus you can almost always retrieve your disc . . . except for that one pond shot . . . if you went out to get it you would probably end up stuck out there.

7) Elevation is key to this course and its fun factor . . . it alters some of the throws you need to make and is just nice visually speaking too.

8) Rolling meadows to tight wooded tunnels, to a couple wide open bombers. Just a nice mix of foliage density and also fairway type.

9) Lots of little rock outcroppings all over the place . . . this is visually appealing but it also makes for some interesting basket locations.

10) Nicely mowed fairways for the most part and it seems to be better manicured than the Island course . . . probably because of the accessibility for the equipment.

11) Again bring your A game, all your discs, and all your shot making abilities . . . it is a true test from start to finish and it challenges you in so many ways.

12) Outstanding distance variation again ranging from 240' to 657'.

13) Nice big concrete tees on this entire course again. That must have been a lot of work!

14) Signs are ok . . .Hole #, Distance, Par and a layout. They just aren't permanent yet . . . it is just a printed on a piece of paper then laminated. It does the job but could look better . . .I know $ only goes so far, so I understand.

15)
Cons: 1) Rocky soil in spots can lead to injured ankles if you aren't careful . . . nothing that can be done about this because I am sure the rocks just keep coming to the surface.

2) The course is still a little work in progress and I am sure keeping up with maintenance is tough . . . its a lot of land and it isnt always accessible by trucks and/or equipment.

3) Tough to navigate in a few places . . . more directionals would help in a couple places . . . or more obvious directionals as they may have been hidden in spots.Other Thoughts: I just cannot find much fault with this course . . . it is rough but it is supposed to be that is the natural land. I would say their maintenance would be the toughest thing to handle and I played it in the off season so it wasn't bad at all, but when everything is growing I could only imagine.

4) Not beginner friendly at all compared to the other course which has that short third tee making it easier on beginners.

5) The only thing this lacks is a couple of short easier reachable holes . . . only one hole under 300' on this course. You can still make the challenging but a couple of ducer holes would be a nice added tough to this course.
Other Thoughts: I was so excited to play this course and I was so excited to meet the owner and play a round on the other course with him. He has a long history of the property which makes it all the more fun to play along with him.

I want to give this course a 5 because of just how awesome the disc golf is . . . but I cannot without mention of the maintenance issues on site. They do alot of work it is clear but I can only imagine what it is like when everything is growing. I know the course is a work in progress and if he ever is able to make some money I can imagine the details will be figured out. I dropped him $20 for my wife and I to play and he was thankful, but he also gave me a hat, beer coozy, a disc with his custom stamp on it.

I hope this course can survive and he can make some money on the property because it would be a shame to lose this gem in the middle of Central USA.

I have to mention it because it was just so funny . . . sorry Jim . . .Jim stepped up to the first tee with me into a 45 MPH headwind and his disc must have been a little nose up because it went straight up and actually ended up behind us and further away from the basket . . . I laughed a little but he recovered nicely and showed his game was much better than the first throw . . . in all fairness I don't think he had planned on playing but wanted to take the opportunity to come along with us and give the history. I appreciated it!

Bring Extra Discs.

1    6/7/2011   6/17/2011
Review By: utahjap
Pros: Provides a wide variety of challenges, including some very long throws, tight throws and some combining the two. Also had some unique obstacles and a hanging basket!
Cons: Keep your eyes on your disc. While it was well maintained there were plenty of places that could swallow your disc.

A Dynamic Duo

1    3/4/2010   3/4/2010
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: Well Maintained
Perfect use of available land
Plenty of Variety
Fun, Challenging but not Frustrating
Can be enjoyed by beginners, experts and everyone in between
Lots of natural Obsticles Creeks, Tunnel shots through trees, and elevation changes.
Sister course
Cons: Ran out of time and did not get the chance to play the sister course. But I did get a chance to look at it and it looked like it's close to, or as good as this one.
Other Thoughts: It was cold and rainy when I played but I still had a great time. It begins with a few open field holes. Nothing wrong with them but they are definitely the average part of course. Once you move into the wooded area it really picks up.

The land they used for this course is great for disc golf. Lots of streams and elevation changes. A good mix of hole sizes, throw variety, and difficulties.

If your still in a Disc Golf mood after you play this one then your in luck, it has a sister course located on the same piece of land. If you live anywhere near this course then it's a must. I would even recommend it if you your looking for a road trip