Oak Island, NC
Bill Smith Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #8 (Taken 5/2010)
Hole #8A Tee

Pleasant suprise

1    11/15/2011   11/15/2011
Review By: BraveThrower43
This review was updated on 5/26/2012
Pros: Really Clean and well maintained. Signage directing you from hole to hole was pretty good.

Good DGA Baskets.

For such a short course it has some tight difficult holes that will test your short game.

Also I felt like the holes were REALLY tight but based on the shortness they were fair.

Perfect course to take your family to go play at the beach. Short enough that they will have fun and in a really nice park
Cons: Might be too short for some people but I thought that it had it's challenges.

There was only one sign to each hole tees. I missed hole 6's short tee completely until the end of the round.

Other Thoughts: It had natural Pads which could be a con for some however you don't need much of a run up if any for these holes.

I was really surprised by this little course. I went there to start a day trip (Crossed the Ferry went on to Kure and Castle Hayne) and was expecting to just check a crappy course off the list and get a little warm up, but I left feeling great about the course. Is it a destination course like Castle Hayne? No of course not but if you are in the area or passing through it is defiantly worth taking a short time to play and test your short game.

Great for a quick round

2-4    8/13/2011   8/14/2011
Review By: Citadelly
Pros: Great course for a quick round of 9-18

9 total baskets w/ 2 tee box locations (A & B)

All tee boxes had par & distance visible

Well maintained course

*FREE* is always a Pro
Cons: Difficult at times to see the baskets

Recreational full size baskets (permanent)

20-25 minutes to get to this course from Hwy 17
Other Thoughts: I found this course to be very similar to East Bay Park in Georgetown, SC. Perhaps a little more difficult, a little better maintained, but not worth going out of your way to play unless you want to check one of the list.

Quick Play

1    9/4/2010   9/6/2010
Review By: berg3family
Pros: A great quick play course. If you need work on your short game and/or from behind obstacles this is the course for you! It is short and provides many challenges that will help any player improve their short game
Cons: HEAVILY WOODED!!! Tee and not well maintained and is difficult to find the start of the course for visitors. You might want to bring a lot of bug spray for the mosquitoes due to the damp grown through out the course.
Other Thoughts: Despite the few cons the course is fun and give short disc players an advantage to the distant disc player friends! I would definitely recommend the course, but would highly suggest bug spray!

Nature trail Recreational Course

1    5/5/2010   5/6/2010
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 5/11/2010
Pros: This course has recently been overhauled (March 2010 if I'm correct). So it may be different from the last time you played here. I didn't get to it before the change.
-Beautiful course, in very nice, well manicured park.
-Tight Fairways
-Multiple Tee's
-Tee's natural, with wood frame around it
-Good Signage with Yardage (no map, though it's not really needed) as well as signs pointing to the next basket. This made navigation very easy. There was a hand drawn map on the Bulletin board; I uploaded a picture to the links/files tab
-Navigates back to the parking lot
-One pond shot, so consider bringing a floater or a throw away disc. Trees are a factor on this hole, so mind your shot. I ended up fishing my Hydra out.
-Great for beginners, and working on short games.
-All holes require a strategic approach
-Time and effort was put into making this a very attractive course. ...and it shows.
-For being a smaller course, it does offer a challenge.
For what it's worth...
- #6 was my favorite hole.
-This course is located in a rec facility, so there are other sports opportunities here.
-The Nature trail signs gave it a nice touch, and added an extra element.
Cons: -No long drives, I only threw putters and mids.
-Although the wood frames around the teeboxes are a nice touch and make the box look nice. It was a little tight for me, and I found myself tripping over the edge of it.
-First three holes play in and around some very dense trees.
-There is a wall of trees that block the 2nd Basket (see picture)
-As far as 8a goes, I'm not sure if this was a gimmick, but you can't throw straight through. (See Picture) I would recommend playing the B tee.
Other Thoughts: This course is what it is, it's a recreational course. If you are looking for a professional course, go to Castle Hayne. I had a good time playing here, I would have played it again if I had the time. It had a good fun factor,and I enjoy a course through the woods. The people that are behind this course are very passionate about it, they take pride in it and it shows.
This isn't a course to drive out of your way for, but if you are in the area, it's worth checking out. Don't come expecting long drives, just come to play it as a rec course and have fun. You will need to bring your approach game if you play here.