Oak Island, NC
Bill Smith Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #4 (Taken 5/2010)

Mini-Me

2-4    6/7/2012   7/29/2012
Review By: jeditden
This review was updated on 7/12/2013
Pros: -Almost every hole had an alternate tee, which works out great with only 9 holes. This way playing though a second time is different.
-Hole 7 over the lake is fun and scary at the same time. My wife wouldn't even attempt it, haha.
-Very well kept up for such a small course.
Cons: -LOTS of trees. Fairways aren't super defined.
-Lot's of 'skeeters were out while we played. Probably from the lake.
-Signs posted saying the sprinkler/drainage could go on at any time was a bit frightening, but thankfully never happened when we played.
Other Thoughts: A fun small course near the beach that's great for recreational/new players. You could almost play with just a putter here and be content. I wouldn't go out of yuor way to play here, but if you are in the area, go for it. Take the ferry from Southport over to Fort Fisher and hit up Kure Beach as well.

Power Steering...

1    7/16/2010   7/19/2010
Review By: NCStatePlaya
Pros: Tight may be an understatement...quick round and nicely maintained. The two tee locations offer "18-holes" on a short 9-hole course. First course I can remember playing with the OB clearly marked on every hole. The locals have definitely put time and effort in this course...and it shows.
Cons: Gravel Tees were a bit of a hazard, uneven, muddy, and rutted. The fairways should be renamed halfways...this course was tight...loblolly pines everywhere.
Other Thoughts: Hole 7 is now the water hole...a nicely played drive can set you up for an easily attainable birdie.

I thought Hole 9 was a great hole for birdie as well. An easy drive that fades to the left will leave you sitting pretty for a 2.

We did see a small alligator in the pond, probably 3 feet long or so...we also saw a snapping turtle that looked like it could eat the gator. Playing in flops, I was a little concerned about my toes. :D

1    6/9/2010   6/15/2010
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: This course is beautiful and maintained. I got to see so much in a short time. Not bad for beginers and a Ace Run for seasoned players.
-multiple boxed in gravel tee pads
-easy to navigate
-fairly tight fairways
-nice tee signs
-friendly locals pointed out some amazing nature spots
Cons: I can name some for informational purposes:
-not much variety ( similar lenghts and turns)
-plays near softball field
-can be too tight

There just isn't enough to make this a higher rated course which can happen with a 9-holer.
Other Thoughts: My favorite hole is #8 over the pond which isn't too far but I hit a tree and my disc bounced back into the water. While I'm getting it I notice 3 other discs in the clear water. So I am about to retrieve those discs and my friend says "alligator!" I jump out and notice it's fairly small. I go back in and watch it closely. A park worker comes by while I'm fishing discs out and says "there's alligators in there"
I reply "I'm watching it"
park worker " both of them?"
Out I come. She says that's the little one, the big one stays under most of the time.
She then pointed out an Osprey nest with babies. Really cool.
Anyway check this place out I loved the thrill of it all!

Hey hey hey, OH every day

1    5/17/2010   5/18/2010
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: Nice park, the locals have worked hard on this one. Short, technically wooded holes surrounded by skinny pines. Great signs, easy to navigate, course flows well. Two tee layouts to give you 18 different looks at the holes. Great course to work on OH and finesse flicks. Hard to lose discs here. Really clean and well maintained fairways, pick up your trash people and let's keep it that way.
Cons: Course is not great for hardly anything BH related. Too much early tree danger, just about every hole is about 1-2 chopped down trees away from being tough but fair. About 3-4 holes have discernible fairways, the rest are plinko holes. Tees are framed gravel and gravelly sand, I nearly turned my ankles a few times. Some tees aren't even facing the basket, I think Stevie Wonder put those in.
Other Thoughts: This course is tighter than a Scotsman stretching his paycheck. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it hurts the playability a little bit. If you like a fierce challenge and short holes, this is your pitch-and-putt. Learning to play well here is akin to learning to shoot with crooked sights, if this is your homecourse, you're BH is gonna be anemic when you play most other courses, but your "get out of trouble" game well be rad. I gave it a 3 because the locals are working hard and it has all the flair, just could use a boost in the substance category.

5+    3/27/2010   3/27/2010
Review By: SteveLancaster24
Pros: Great course for short & mid-range game. Will show you really how accurate you are. Kept in awesome shape thanks to the locals that put in their time and effort to keep it that way.
Cons: Not a hole that you can really let loose on and distance drive.

Through the woods

1    8/5/2009   8/18/2009
Review By: masonrph2
Pros: Accuracy and the ability to work the disc both ways a must. Tight with some variety. Had the place to ourselves. Hole 8 very interesting-140' carry over water.
Cons: First three holes have some trees that have sprouted since course first layed out. This leads to limited options. Short.
Other Thoughts: A nice change of pace from mountain courses in Asheville. Underbrush kept tidy so there is no problem with poison ivy or lost discs.