Oak Island, NC
Bill Smith Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Citadelly Hole #4 (Taken 8/2011)
Hole #4 Directional Sign

Great for a quick round

2-4    8/13/2011   8/14/2011
Review By: Citadelly
Pros: Great course for a quick round of 9-18

9 total baskets w/ 2 tee box locations (A & B)

All tee boxes had par & distance visible

Well maintained course

*FREE* is always a Pro
Cons: Difficult at times to see the baskets

Recreational full size baskets (permanent)

20-25 minutes to get to this course from Hwy 17
Other Thoughts: I found this course to be very similar to East Bay Park in Georgetown, SC. Perhaps a little more difficult, a little better maintained, but not worth going out of your way to play unless you want to check one of the list.

skip it

1    11/12/2010   11/14/2010
Review By: hogleggbob
This review was updated on 7/19/2011
Pros: it has baskets, nice park in the most part
Cons: poor design.... it seems like they just put baskets in the middle of a group of trees with a random tee pad at every hole.
Other Thoughts: if you are in the area of holden beach and you have time to play a course...forget this one and go to castle hayne. waste of time ...only need a putter for most of the holes... get a designer, and cut some trees down to make real fairways..horrible after recieving a private e mail from the guy who rated this course a 4.0... ive decided to updated my review...it still sucks.

Quick Play

1    9/4/2010   9/6/2010
Review By: berg3family
Pros: A great quick play course. If you need work on your short game and/or from behind obstacles this is the course for you! It is short and provides many challenges that will help any player improve their short game
Cons: HEAVILY WOODED!!! Tee and not well maintained and is difficult to find the start of the course for visitors. You might want to bring a lot of bug spray for the mosquitoes due to the damp grown through out the course.
Other Thoughts: Despite the few cons the course is fun and give short disc players an advantage to the distant disc player friends! I would definitely recommend the course, but would highly suggest bug spray!

ehhhh...

1    6/24/2009   8/16/2010
Review By: ENold
Pros: -Demands Accuraucy
-Short and Sweet
-Good variety as far as righty/lefty goes
Cons: -Some holes boast nearly impassable fairways
-Poor tees
-Doesn't demand distance to any extent
Other Thoughts: I came down to NC from Delaware to participate in the Great Eight Ironman in the Raleigh area. Afterwards, I stayed at my friends dads house for a week on Oak Island.
The course was great for just a quick round or two while on vacation but if you don't mind traveling a bit, head up to Castle Hayne in Wilmington. Oh yeah, that pond on seven that apparently has alligators in it, I waded through that thing to get my disc back. One of the grounds-keepers took time out from mowing the grass to watch... but apparently not inform me.

best with what they have

5+    8/11/2010   8/11/2010
Review By: oki40484
This review was updated on 9/9/2010
Pros: being a short,tight course, a course like this requires accuracy over distance. the guys do a good job keeping the place clean and also have plans on removing a few trees in order to help those out whose lack of accuracy was put on display.
bringing younger disc golfers here will help boost their confidece after playing a few rounds, but beware of the local 14 yr olds who won't mind takin your loot on a round or two.
Cons: 9 hole course sitting on roughly 6 acres of land. not alot could be done to make this course better due to lack of land.
no reason to bring drivers, longest hole 261 ft.
think alligator ate my discs on hole 7 a and b, also possible to feed them plastic from 6b.
teeboxes need help.
Other Thoughts: think the putt-putt comparison to ball golf and bill smith park will give you what you think a putt putt course on disc golf would be.
accurate throws opposed to power rips will get you alot further here.
the locals are serious about the growth of disc golf and even if you don't like their course you would love their cause. these guys are going to fight for more disc golf, and i got their back.
really fun course

Power Steering...

1    7/16/2010   7/19/2010
Review By: NCStatePlaya
Pros: Tight may be an understatement...quick round and nicely maintained. The two tee locations offer "18-holes" on a short 9-hole course. First course I can remember playing with the OB clearly marked on every hole. The locals have definitely put time and effort in this course...and it shows.
Cons: Gravel Tees were a bit of a hazard, uneven, muddy, and rutted. The fairways should be renamed halfways...this course was tight...loblolly pines everywhere.
Other Thoughts: Hole 7 is now the water hole...a nicely played drive can set you up for an easily attainable birdie.

I thought Hole 9 was a great hole for birdie as well. An easy drive that fades to the left will leave you sitting pretty for a 2.

We did see a small alligator in the pond, probably 3 feet long or so...we also saw a snapping turtle that looked like it could eat the gator. Playing in flops, I was a little concerned about my toes. :D

1    6/9/2010   6/15/2010
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: This course is beautiful and maintained. I got to see so much in a short time. Not bad for beginers and a Ace Run for seasoned players.
-multiple boxed in gravel tee pads
-easy to navigate
-fairly tight fairways
-nice tee signs
-friendly locals pointed out some amazing nature spots
Cons: I can name some for informational purposes:
-not much variety ( similar lenghts and turns)
-plays near softball field
-can be too tight

There just isn't enough to make this a higher rated course which can happen with a 9-holer.
Other Thoughts: My favorite hole is #8 over the pond which isn't too far but I hit a tree and my disc bounced back into the water. While I'm getting it I notice 3 other discs in the clear water. So I am about to retrieve those discs and my friend says "alligator!" I jump out and notice it's fairly small. I go back in and watch it closely. A park worker comes by while I'm fishing discs out and says "there's alligators in there"
I reply "I'm watching it"
park worker " both of them?"
Out I come. She says that's the little one, the big one stays under most of the time.
She then pointed out an Osprey nest with babies. Really cool.
Anyway check this place out I loved the thrill of it all!

Hey hey hey, OH every day

1    5/17/2010   5/18/2010
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: Nice park, the locals have worked hard on this one. Short, technically wooded holes surrounded by skinny pines. Great signs, easy to navigate, course flows well. Two tee layouts to give you 18 different looks at the holes. Great course to work on OH and finesse flicks. Hard to lose discs here. Really clean and well maintained fairways, pick up your trash people and let's keep it that way.
Cons: Course is not great for hardly anything BH related. Too much early tree danger, just about every hole is about 1-2 chopped down trees away from being tough but fair. About 3-4 holes have discernible fairways, the rest are plinko holes. Tees are framed gravel and gravelly sand, I nearly turned my ankles a few times. Some tees aren't even facing the basket, I think Stevie Wonder put those in.
Other Thoughts: This course is tighter than a Scotsman stretching his paycheck. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it hurts the playability a little bit. If you like a fierce challenge and short holes, this is your pitch-and-putt. Learning to play well here is akin to learning to shoot with crooked sights, if this is your homecourse, you're BH is gonna be anemic when you play most other courses, but your "get out of trouble" game well be rad. I gave it a 3 because the locals are working hard and it has all the flair, just could use a boost in the substance category.

Nature trail Recreational Course

1    5/5/2010   5/6/2010
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 5/11/2010
Pros: This course has recently been overhauled (March 2010 if I'm correct). So it may be different from the last time you played here. I didn't get to it before the change.
-Beautiful course, in very nice, well manicured park.
-Tight Fairways
-Multiple Tee's
-Tee's natural, with wood frame around it
-Good Signage with Yardage (no map, though it's not really needed) as well as signs pointing to the next basket. This made navigation very easy. There was a hand drawn map on the Bulletin board; I uploaded a picture to the links/files tab
-Navigates back to the parking lot
-One pond shot, so consider bringing a floater or a throw away disc. Trees are a factor on this hole, so mind your shot. I ended up fishing my Hydra out.
-Great for beginners, and working on short games.
-All holes require a strategic approach
-Time and effort was put into making this a very attractive course. ...and it shows.
-For being a smaller course, it does offer a challenge.
For what it's worth...
- #6 was my favorite hole.
-This course is located in a rec facility, so there are other sports opportunities here.
-The Nature trail signs gave it a nice touch, and added an extra element.
Cons: -No long drives, I only threw putters and mids.
-Although the wood frames around the teeboxes are a nice touch and make the box look nice. It was a little tight for me, and I found myself tripping over the edge of it.
-First three holes play in and around some very dense trees.
-There is a wall of trees that block the 2nd Basket (see picture)
-As far as 8a goes, I'm not sure if this was a gimmick, but you can't throw straight through. (See Picture) I would recommend playing the B tee.
Other Thoughts: This course is what it is, it's a recreational course. If you are looking for a professional course, go to Castle Hayne. I had a good time playing here, I would have played it again if I had the time. It had a good fun factor,and I enjoy a course through the woods. The people that are behind this course are very passionate about it, they take pride in it and it shows.
This isn't a course to drive out of your way for, but if you are in the area, it's worth checking out. Don't come expecting long drives, just come to play it as a rec course and have fun. You will need to bring your approach game if you play here.

5+    3/27/2010   3/27/2010
Review By: SteveLancaster24
Pros: Great course for short & mid-range game. Will show you really how accurate you are. Kept in awesome shape thanks to the locals that put in their time and effort to keep it that way.
Cons: Not a hole that you can really let loose on and distance drive.