Hitchcock, TX
Jack Brooks Park - Cedar Hills Share
Uploaded By: ChrisMacG Hole #17 (Taken 6/2009)
Hole #17 Tee to Basket

Overrated in my Opinion

1    7/21/2012   7/21/2012
Review By: Jefflogix
This review was updated on 5/9/2013
Pros: Great tee boxes. Challenging holes. Great baskets. Mix of open and wooded holes. Shade on the wooded holes. Course maps from this site were very helpful.
Cons: May not always be the case, but the mosquitoes were unbearable. I used an entire can of OFF and mosquitoes were still swarming around me so badly that I actually couldn't help but breath them in (July). In my opinion, for a recreational-level player, there comes a point where holes are so densely wooded, it becomes a game of luck rather than a game of skill. There were some holes like that on this course. Players with a good precision game will probably enjoy the challenge, but I just got frustrated.

You should print a course map. We did, but even still we had a hard time finding a couple of holes.

I lost a disc in a creek that wasn't visible from the tee box. That was kind of a bummer. I guess I will know for next time, but first round was not pleasant.

Grass was high, not well maintained. Restrooms were sick. Toilets didn't flush.

There were some ill-placed water hazards for beginners and even intermediate players. Really easy to lose a disc.

Holes weren't always well marked. Probably were originally, but paint has faded on some of the markers apparently.
Other Thoughts: Maybe my expectations were too high, but after all the positive reviews, I really expected this course to be better. I assume my frustrations were due to my skill level and the difficulty of the course. But my first time playing this was not a good experience. A lot of this was probably because of the swarms of mosquitoes, so that may be tainting my perception a bit. But if you don't like mosquitoes, you might want to wear a bee-keeper suit :) -- might have just been a bad day for them, but it was horrible. I have heard that they are always bad in the summer and that they are immune to preventive bug spray... great!