Hitchcock, TX
Jack Brooks Park - Cedar Hills Share
Uploaded By: ChrisMacG Hole #17 (Taken 6/2009)

Mosquitoes, Disc Golf, and Mosquitoes

1    7/13/2013   7/15/2013
Review By: McC.Alexander
This review was updated on 9/3/2013
Pros: +Concrete tee pads
+Full 18 holes very close to another full 18
+Lots of variety in challenges (9 holes in wooded areas and 9 holes in open, hilly areas)
+Course map present at start (and easily found online)
+Easy to spot baskets
+Tee markers with hole number at each tee (but no map)
+Great layout and use of land features
Cons: -Swarms of mosquitoes on holes 1 through 8 and hole 14 [Mosquitoes were very bearable on holes 9 though 13 and 15 through 18]
-One or two "blind" holes from the tee but are easily located with a short walk down the fairway
-No hole maps at the tee signs
Other Thoughts: At first glance you would think my pros easily outweigh my cons but due to the impromptu stop for discing I was not prepared to fight off the mosquitoes, and this really was a detriment to my game. This will be the first review of mine where something not related to the course layout, upkeep, or placement caused me to have poor a experience (although one could say that placement was the root issue here).

I hate to be whining but I played terrible on holes 3 through 8 and hole 14 due to my constant attempt to avoid the mosquitoes. I played fast and threw hap-haphazardly and my scores shows it. On the last 4 holes, which are mainly open long drives and thus have next to no mosquitoes, I hit par, with relative ease. be weary of hole 17, there is a rather hidden and large pond directly in front of the tee. I shot to the right to get over and around the pond.

**BOTTOM LINE: THIS IS A CHALLENGING, WELL LAID OUT COURSE BUT THE MOSQUITOES WILL CARRY YOU AWAY - WEAR PANTS, BUG SPRAY, AND BE PREPARED TO ITCH.**

P.S. I cant imagine the bugs are this bad in the winter months - I went in July, during peak bug season, dont make my mistake and youll have a better experience.

P.P.S. (REVIEW UPDATE) to those who are thumbs downing my review due to my inclusion of the bug infestation, please stop, you know I wrote a helpful review. I wish I had this info prior to my arrival at this course. And I saw 3 groups of discers at this course on the same day I played and not a single one of them finished the course due to the mosquitoes so I know Im not alone with these cons.

Really Tough Course

1    5/20/2012   5/20/2012
Review By: JeremyKShort
Pros: Has very tough holes. They are laid out in a way that you will be challenged no matter what type of throw you have. A lot of challenging through the woods holes, several around a pond, then long ones at the end.
Cons: The course really needs better signage. It's difficult to find the first tee, and there is no signs to tell you which course at the park you are playing. It also lacks signs at each hole showing you where the basket is. 15 - 18 really are difficult to find. Mosquitos can be very bad. The creek on the early holes is very stagnant, if a disc goes in there it's more or less lost.

Great Potential

2-4    10/16/2010   10/16/2010
Review By: oknowwhat
This review was updated on 12/14/2010
Pros: Excellent first 4 holes. Great use of elevation, considering Houston terrain. Holes 1-4 are what I look for in a course. Heavily wooded, challenging, but not impossible. The first half of this course has a trail-like feel as opposed to some courses that just crisscross a field.
Brand new Discatcher baskets on every hole! Water is definitely in play on a few holes.
Cons: There are a couple of holes with way too many trees, particularly #5 and #7. I like the deep woods disc golf experience but this is a little much. The trees, combined with the length of these holes make them not fun.
Other Thoughts: This course is coming along nicely. Every tee box is now marked and the course is fairly navigable. This is now my favorite of the two at Jack Brooks.