Hitchcock, TX
Jack Brooks Park - Cedar Hills Share
Uploaded By: ChrisMacG Hole #3 (Taken 6/2009)

Challenging, but fun.

1    10/18/2014   10/24/2014
Review By: danzoll
Pros: Great variety of shots. Lots of wooded holes, some water hazard, and then it opens up for some long bombs on the end. Concrete pads, great baskets, well marked.
Cons: Mosquitos, bring bug spray. Can't see the basket on many holes. There is some work being done on holes 16 and 17 that make it muddy, but still playable

Mosquitoes, Disc Golf, and Mosquitoes

1    7/13/2013   7/15/2013
Review By: McC.Alexander
This review was updated on 9/3/2013
Pros: +Concrete tee pads
+Full 18 holes very close to another full 18
+Lots of variety in challenges (9 holes in wooded areas and 9 holes in open, hilly areas)
+Course map present at start (and easily found online)
+Easy to spot baskets
+Tee markers with hole number at each tee (but no map)
+Great layout and use of land features
Cons: -Swarms of mosquitoes on holes 1 through 8 and hole 14 [Mosquitoes were very bearable on holes 9 though 13 and 15 through 18]
-One or two "blind" holes from the tee but are easily located with a short walk down the fairway
-No hole maps at the tee signs
Other Thoughts: At first glance you would think my pros easily outweigh my cons but due to the impromptu stop for discing I was not prepared to fight off the mosquitoes, and this really was a detriment to my game. This will be the first review of mine where something not related to the course layout, upkeep, or placement caused me to have poor a experience (although one could say that placement was the root issue here).

I hate to be whining but I played terrible on holes 3 through 8 and hole 14 due to my constant attempt to avoid the mosquitoes. I played fast and threw hap-haphazardly and my scores shows it. On the last 4 holes, which are mainly open long drives and thus have next to no mosquitoes, I hit par, with relative ease. be weary of hole 17, there is a rather hidden and large pond directly in front of the tee. I shot to the right to get over and around the pond.

**BOTTOM LINE: THIS IS A CHALLENGING, WELL LAID OUT COURSE BUT THE MOSQUITOES WILL CARRY YOU AWAY - WEAR PANTS, BUG SPRAY, AND BE PREPARED TO ITCH.**

P.S. I cant imagine the bugs are this bad in the winter months - I went in July, during peak bug season, dont make my mistake and youll have a better experience.

P.P.S. (REVIEW UPDATE) to those who are thumbs downing my review due to my inclusion of the bug infestation, please stop, you know I wrote a helpful review. I wish I had this info prior to my arrival at this course. And I saw 3 groups of discers at this course on the same day I played and not a single one of them finished the course due to the mosquitoes so I know Im not alone with these cons.

1    11/3/2012   11/26/2012
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: -This is the much more difficult course on site and plays half of the holes in the woods and half of the holes in the open, so a very good mixture of shots, perhaps the best mixture of shots in Houston. A few holes you would be foolish to bring out any kind of driver and there are also huge bombs off the tee.
-There are a lot of risk-reward type shots off the drive. Especially #17 where you have to clear a lake and putt for a 2. Or go around the lake and make an easy 3.
-There are hills on a few holes in the woods that makes this course much more unique then what you would find in any typical Houston course.
-I am under the assumption that this course is much less played then Gulf Meadows so you never have to wait to play and the baskets are all in great shape.
-Concrete tees are always great to have especially at a championship caliber course like this one.
-There are a few ace runs (#18) which can add a bit of excitement to a ruthless round.
Cons: -Sadly, this course is not played as much because it is much more difficult and it is very easy to get frustrated at with the huge number of trees in the fairway.
-The water, especially the lake at holes 10-14, is very unforgiving and murky. If a disc goes in, chances are it is gone for good.
-A few of the holes are huge head scratchers in the design aspect. Most notably hole #2 which the hole sits 180 degrees clockwise from the tee. A 3 would be very impressive at a few of these holes.
-It is a little bit of a far drive for most Houston golfers. This could be a pro as well since not as many people will be out here.
Other Thoughts: If you combine this course with Gulf Meadows in one day, that is a great day of golf.
This course is especially great if you are looking for a big challenge. Like they said at the tournament that took place here "You kick the courses butt at Gulf Meadows, but get your butt kicked at Cedar Hills."
This course is definitely worth the drive from town and it is highly recommended for all out of towners.

Bad experience

1    7/20/2012   7/24/2012
Review By: dogbetter
Pros: A variety of shots. Good Discatcher baskets. Needed them to be able to locate with yellow ring.
Cons: Mosquitos, mosquitos, mosquitos. I took two players who had never played before. Not a good experience for the first time. They lost a disc in woods and in pond. Need to clear more of course. Course needs mowed. The recent rains made the mosquitos unbearable. Borrowed friends nature repellant which was like desert to these suckers.
Other Thoughts: Would rate higher if not for mosquitos.

Overrated in my Opinion

1    7/21/2012   7/21/2012
Review By: Jefflogix
This review was updated on 5/9/2013
Pros: Great tee boxes. Challenging holes. Great baskets. Mix of open and wooded holes. Shade on the wooded holes. Course maps from this site were very helpful.
Cons: May not always be the case, but the mosquitoes were unbearable. I used an entire can of OFF and mosquitoes were still swarming around me so badly that I actually couldn't help but breath them in (July). In my opinion, for a recreational-level player, there comes a point where holes are so densely wooded, it becomes a game of luck rather than a game of skill. There were some holes like that on this course. Players with a good precision game will probably enjoy the challenge, but I just got frustrated.

You should print a course map. We did, but even still we had a hard time finding a couple of holes.

I lost a disc in a creek that wasn't visible from the tee box. That was kind of a bummer. I guess I will know for next time, but first round was not pleasant.

Grass was high, not well maintained. Restrooms were sick. Toilets didn't flush.

There were some ill-placed water hazards for beginners and even intermediate players. Really easy to lose a disc.

Holes weren't always well marked. Probably were originally, but paint has faded on some of the markers apparently.
Other Thoughts: Maybe my expectations were too high, but after all the positive reviews, I really expected this course to be better. I assume my frustrations were due to my skill level and the difficulty of the course. But my first time playing this was not a good experience. A lot of this was probably because of the swarms of mosquitoes, so that may be tainting my perception a bit. But if you don't like mosquitoes, you might want to wear a bee-keeper suit :) -- might have just been a bad day for them, but it was horrible. I have heard that they are always bad in the summer and that they are immune to preventive bug spray... great!

Really Tough Course

1    5/20/2012   5/20/2012
Review By: JeremyKShort
Pros: Has very tough holes. They are laid out in a way that you will be challenged no matter what type of throw you have. A lot of challenging through the woods holes, several around a pond, then long ones at the end.
Cons: The course really needs better signage. It's difficult to find the first tee, and there is no signs to tell you which course at the park you are playing. It also lacks signs at each hole showing you where the basket is. 15 - 18 really are difficult to find. Mosquitos can be very bad. The creek on the early holes is very stagnant, if a disc goes in there it's more or less lost.

f'n trees! :-)

1    5/18/2012   5/18/2012
Review By: soonerpa
Pros: Challenging to say the least. The length of the holes in the woods is daunting- have to be "on" in the woods.
Coming out of the woods you are faced with water a challenge(s) immediately. Lost one in the pond today!
Crossing the street its all wide open spaces.
The three different types of challenges really let you attempt to use a variety of shots. Notice for a beginner like me I said "attempt", ha.

Cons: F'n trees! Well thats because I suck. But the woods is the biggest challenge. I wouldnt say a con necessarily just have to really be on in the woods.
Other Thoughts: Loved it. Liked it better than the other side of Jack Brooks. Want to play it again!

2-4    6/22/2011   7/29/2011
Review By: CKR-JK
Pros: Great layout.
Wooded holes provide a nice challengs.
Open holes are huge.
Cons: When it is windy, the open holes can be brutal.
Need a box for score cards.
Other Thoughts: Best course I have played so far in the Houston area.

Ceder Hills

5+    3/25/2011   3/27/2011
Review By: whosnext
Pros: Great mix of woods and open long holes. The first 9 holes are in the heavy woods with a good mix of elevation. The last eight has distance, elevation, water and open for the wind to come into play. The 2011 Texas States championship will be played on this course so they have just finished installing concrete tee pads on every hole. All the holes are well marked. They improved the #5 and #8 holes so now they are fun. This is now the best course in the Houston area. It will challenge you and make you use a wide varity of shots.
Cons: Not a good course to play after the rain. If you are a begginer this course will eat you alive. Mosquitoes are horrible in the summer after a rain come prepared.
Other Thoughts: If you want to play both courses then if you start on Ceder Hills when you finish hole #15 just to the left you will see the #13 teebox for the other course. You can play the meadows end on #12 then play the last three holes which will put you by your car. 36 holes all concrete tee pads. Excellent design very challenging but fair. The best one two punch in Houston. Great job guys appriciate all the hard work.

Great Potential

2-4    10/16/2010   10/16/2010
Review By: oknowwhat
This review was updated on 12/14/2010
Pros: Excellent first 4 holes. Great use of elevation, considering Houston terrain. Holes 1-4 are what I look for in a course. Heavily wooded, challenging, but not impossible. The first half of this course has a trail-like feel as opposed to some courses that just crisscross a field.
Brand new Discatcher baskets on every hole! Water is definitely in play on a few holes.
Cons: There are a couple of holes with way too many trees, particularly #5 and #7. I like the deep woods disc golf experience but this is a little much. The trees, combined with the length of these holes make them not fun.
Other Thoughts: This course is coming along nicely. Every tee box is now marked and the course is fairly navigable. This is now my favorite of the two at Jack Brooks.