Rohnert Park, CA
Crane Creek Share
Uploaded By: Jaerex09 Hole #18 (Taken 1/2011)

< Prev 1 2 3
Crane Creek

1    7/20/2014   7/21/2014
Review By: Fntsygamr
Pros: - short / manageable basket locations
- wide open, no obstacles
- easy to locate the next tee pad
- practice basket available
Cons: - small parking area, will cost you $7 to park
- grass is tall and dry
- ticks are everywhere
- bad signage; no distinguish what hole you were throwing from or which basket you were throwing to. Had to run to a few baskets to make sure we were throwing at the right one
- bad tee boxes; need updated or repaired
- blind shots, must have spotter to make sure you are not throwing into other park users
- overcrowded (at least when we were there)
- course map seemed outdated
Other Thoughts: A few other things that I could not place in the pro or con boxes. There were several other groups out on the course when we were there. These other players were a bit discurteous of us while we were playing. There were a few groups that insisted on us letting them pass through and even a few groups that skipped holes to go around us. We had a few rogue discs fly into us with a head up or a "fore". There are a few other courses in the area that I would recommend playing before coming back to this one. I was impressed by the Languanitas Brewery, which we went to after our round of play. They have discs there for purchases with their logo.

A good place to get right

5+    1/28/2014   1/28/2014
Review By: Dangerman
Pros: Open fairways, short grass, hard to lose a disc.
Holes 5,6,7 fun and have anhyzer (RHBH) basket placement
Never had a bad time.
Wide skill level of golfers here. (I think that is a good thing) including some SSU golf members.
Most if not all holes parable. (Almost can shoot par on this course, before the summer for sure)!!

Cons: Lacks a little variation. 11-18 don't vary that much in distance or terrain. (If you are locked in, you can throw the same shot and disc over the last several holes.)
Toilet is a covered outhouse.
Lots of walkers (always courteous though) on course.

Other Thoughts: A good place to work on your game. Wide open fairways, straight approaches to baskets. I wish there was a bit more variation with distance. Most seem to be around 280-320ft.
Nice group of golfers play here.
Go to Penngrove (10 min) and get a sausage and beer afterwards to cap off your day.

Good Beginner Course

5+    12/24/2013   12/28/2013
Review By: gusisfishin@gmail.co
Pros: A few holes that are challenging due to trees and hills.
Clean. Well kept.
Holes easy to follow
Cons: Spring, Early Summer TICKS
Spring HIGH GRASS
Wear GATORS in the spring/early summer
Other Thoughts: Great course for us old locals. Visitors seem to like it also. Lots of nice courses in the area that can give you more of a challenge.

Just right for me

1    6/19/2013   6/20/2013
Review By: Ioreks
Pros: Clean park. Easy to follow course. Seemed like the tees were in the "A" position. Great for beginners as an entry level course. Rolling hills were doable for my 74 year old father.
Cons: Parking fee ( but it was free for us with my day's Golden Park Pass). Beware of poison oak.
Other Thoughts: Don't throw pale yellow discs in summer.

Decent course

5+    4/13/2013   5/17/2013
Review By: Tabascos
Pros: Good course for beginners getting into the sport- Wide open on most holes, short and long pin locations with very little obstructions/obstacles.
Cons: Tee pads are crushed stone, instead of concrete, which seem to work okay if they're freshly hard packed, but most of the time they have ruts and are not smooth/flat from frequent use. The course lacks shade structures, trash bins, benches, and trees/obstacles on the course.
Other Thoughts: It's a decent course, but has potential to be a better course. Great to see the improvement efforts by the United Flyers of Sonoma who pour in a lot of time and energy to make the course bettter everyday. Still a long way to go until it's at the caliber of other surrounding courses. Until then, making the drive to other courses is worth it.

Crane Creek Improved!

5+    5/7/2013   5/10/2013
Review By: lanningmorgen
Pros: The local club has been POURING effort into this course. New teepads and pin placements. If you haven't played this course in 2013, you will be surprised with the many improvements and change in difficulty level. No longer is this course a birdie extravaganza. Good players may be happy to get a bogey on a few holes.
Cons: Same, same.
Other Thoughts: Come check out the new changes!

Crane Creek

1    1/26/2013   1/27/2013
Review By: Hazer
Pros: Beautiful area. Almost every hole birdie-able. Many ace runs. Holes 5-7 play through a moderately wooded area with a small creek running through and are the only somewhat technical holes on the course. Good elevation change on a couple holes. A few basic signs remaining at a few holes. Some holes have multiple pin positions. A couple holes over 325'. Hole 15: long hole (500'+) with the basket on the edge of a hill. Restrooms and trash/recycling cans near parking lot. Nice views and scenery throughout the course.
Cons: $7 pay to park. Natural tees with some gravel. Some tees had standing water on them when I played. Almost all holes are wide open shorter holes. Most of the signs are missing. No trash cans or benches on course, except for one bench at hole 16 (best place for it actually, if you're only going to have 1). Most holes play flat despite the terrain. The layout is very weak for the available land. Only 3 or 4 holes require any sort of technical shot. Overall not very challenging. Very sloppy and muddy when I played.
Other Thoughts: This course could be great with a new layout and maybe some added trees or bushes at least. The available land is great terrain for disc golf, but the course layout is sad. When I arrived and looked around I was expecting much more. Holes 5-7 were cool, but even those could have been done much better. The $7 fee to park is a little steep, especially considering that this course is not very good. The rangers come by frequently to check cars. I saw one guy getting a ticket for not paying. Not sure how much; I didn't stick around to ask. Very muddy right now so bring extra towels and maybe even extra socks and a plastic bag to put your shoes in. I will not be back until they change the layout.

Meh...

1    11/22/2012   11/24/2012
Review By: ashmgee
Pros: 18 baskets
Pretty area
Clean course and park.
Some elevation change makes distances tough to gauge.
Would be easy to get a quick round in here if it wasn't busy.
There were a couple of neat holes that provided a challenge.
The hills provided some roll away potential adding challenge.
The course is one of the only in the area.
Cons: Tees were in bad shape.
$7 parking fee seemed a little much.
wide open course offered little in the way of challenge.
Signage in bad shape or completely gone.
Holes are really stacked up on each other in this small park.
Other Thoughts: It is a course, and one of the only courses in the area so that is a bonus. The $7 fee didn't seem to deter anyone from playing and it was busy when we were there. I would play it again, but I would not go out of my way to play this course. It is wide open with very few obstacles and little challenges.

A letdown, but not much around

1    9/10/2012   9/10/2012
Review By: Fighter
Pros: This course has 18 holes in a very scenic area of California. There is little to lose a disc in making it very beginner friendly. Course is relatively well laid out as far as being navigable without use of the few signs that are there. Bathrooms are nice to have as well.
Cons: You have to pay 7 bucks to play this course first and foremost. I love pay courses as it usually will translate to a well manicured course, however this was NOT the case. I'll be least harsh as I can about this. If you've played a few rounds before and can throw over 200ft this course is not worth visiting. I'm sorry, its pathetic. Signs are either damaged or gone. The pads are barely visible as well and are dirt/gravel concoction that lacks any grip. Use of terrain is even lacking for what is there. After hole 3, you should throw off the top of the hill to the left... but it's not that way. Be VERY careful to not bring cellphones or wallets and keys out unsecured as you could lose them in the cracks in the ground.
Other Thoughts: I know I'm coming from Wisconsin courses and FL courses as my background primarily . But I would rate this probably a 2.5-2.75 if it weren't for the insane charge to play. Its just not entertaining enough. Needs a redesign and a few more obstacles to start moving in the right direction.

My Home Course

5+    11/22/2011   11/25/2011
Review By: Anhyzer Bush
Pros: -Great course for beginners to learn on
-Good short game practice for more advanced players
-On every hole with the exception of hole 7, the basket is visible from the teepad (great for beginners but not much challenge for more advanced players)
-Good mix of open field play and some slightly technical tree lined areas for an enjoyable disc golf experience.
-Very easy to navigate and walk the course.
Cons: -Gravel tee pads are ok in the dry months but in winter they tend to puddle up and make throwing long drives a bit more difficult.
-It would be nice if there were some steeper elevation changes downhill for some longer drive opportunities.
-I would like to see at least a few longer holes (some par 5's would be nice, to mix things up)
-Poison oak is an issue on holes 5-9 if your disc goes off course into the trees.
Other Thoughts: I have been playing disc golf for a couple months and I mainly play at Crane Creek since it is so close to where I live. It's a great place to bring family and friends and introduce them to this great game. The only other course I have played is Stafford Lake which is absolutely amazing and much more technical. I know I haven't been playing this game that long but I really can't understand all the negative reviews of this course. Overall Crane Creek is a great place to learn the game and to really brush up on your short game. Set in rolling hills adjacent to vineyards it's a great course to enjoy with minimal hiking for a nice leisurely outing and the views to the west are amazing.

< Prev 1 2 3