Carrboro, NC
Anderson Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: reposado Hole #17 (Taken 11/2013)
Hole #17 Mid-Fairway

Disc Golf Pinball

1    8/12/2013   8/12/2013
Review By: Tenacious EJ
Pros: -Good course to work on your technical game
-Very little traffic
Cons: -Some lanes are hard to see
-Most baskets are impossible to see from the tee
-No opportunities to test your arm
-Little variation
Other Thoughts: Disc Golf Pinball- if you like a challenge, this may be the course for you. When I saw the first hole, I was intrigued, and when I saw the second, even more so. Unfortunately this quickly wore off. Anderson Park is a wooded course, and that's about all. There's no place here to bust out your max distance driver-miss a fairway, and you'll pay dearly. The course is full of very tight windows and narrow fairways that will test even very good players. Unfortunately, it has more than its share of holes where you throw and pray that wherever your disc hits, it will either bounce back into the fairway or not into the brush.

Personally, I'm not a fan of wooded courses like this, but objectively, I still see a number of problems that keeps this course from getting a higher recommendation. First and foremost are holes with no obvious fairway. Hole 7 is an excellent example of this flaw. Holes like this infuriate me, but even worse are holes where there is a clear lane, but they haven't yet designed discs that fly in the manner the fairway suggests. Holes 10 and 15 fall into this category. Problem holes like this make a course seem unfair. And then you have holes like 13, which seem fairly straightforward, if not somewhat difficult, but poor course maintenance ruins the hole.

Another disappointing thing for me was the tee signs. Frankly, I had a hard time believing the distances on the signs were correct, but their real downfall was that the hole number and distance were the only things on the sign. On many holes I had to walk over halfway to the basket before I could make an attempt at throwing a disc because I couldn't see the basket from the tee. As I said, miss the fairway and you pay- the woods around the fairways are dense. After we lost a disc on 14, the solo player behind us started throwing on us because he didn't know we were there. Not having proper signage is a definite problem, then, especially when you consider you can see the basket for hole 11 straight ahead off the 8th tee, and you definitely can't see the basket for 8 from there.

The last thing that brings this course down is the little decisions that just leave you dumbfounded and have you scratching your head. If you didn't know where the tee for 13 was when you left 12, you'd never find it. And the impossible curve of 15 is even more confusing when you realize you are throwing 15 feet to the right of the tee for 16, and that a net has been erected behind 16's tee to keep discs from hitting anyone on that tee. Those two holes are both losers to me. The Astroturf tees seem neat, but I'm told they are terribly slippery when your feet are wet, and I constantly felt like every time I went to throw off of one I was standing on the edge of the tee, where the turf did not feel level.

If this type of course is your thing and you don't mind high scores, spider webs, and mosquitoes, than more power to you.

All in All, I Like It

2-4    4/26/2013   4/28/2013
Review By: BuzzSharpe
Pros: Astroturf covered concrete tee pads may be the coolest I've ever played. A challenging wooded course without being heart breaking. Paths between holes are very evident making navigation relatively easy, especially with the occasional directional sign to the next tee, except between 12 & 13..
Cons: Very tight, with some briars, brambles, underbrush and tree trash, making losing plastic likely, though I refused to give up on my errant shots and did manage to find them all. There does need to be signage directing to 13 from 12.
Other Thoughts: This would be a good satellite course to the planned Springwood Players' Course @ Burlington Springwood Park for the Am Worlds in a few years. A Russell Schwartz course, huh? Bet it all but killed him that he couldn't put a basket in any disc disappearing water.

Decent

2-4    8/7/2009   8/7/2009
Review By: jamsandwich
Pros: Shaded layout, Tight Wooded Shots can be a challenge, not crowded like UNC course. Tiny frogs can be found all over the course during the summer. We saw 50+. Park has tons of other stuff to do and is never very crowded. This course is great if you want to "get away" so to speak
Cons: Most of the holes on this course are tight wooded fairways that curve left, and the repetitive layout of the course kinda makes for a dull round. Lots of places to lose a disc if you aren't careful, and walking around in the rough areas sucks if you arent wearing pants and shoes. tons of loose rocks, spiders, bugs, typical woods creatures, but with a 10 ft wide fairway on almost every hole, you will be encountering them alot.

No tee pads can be a major bummer when you slip on the loose rocks or pine needles on the tee, but there is a prototype "pervious tee pad" on hole one that shows some promise. Some of the holes are right on top of each other, but its ok since its never too crowded.
Other Thoughts: Its nice to have a change of pace, but if i'm looking for something more than UNC, I'll probably just go to cedar hills.

up and coming

2-4    7/14/2009   7/14/2009
Review By: Jomomister
Pros: When I first played this course I thought "Oh, great. Another classic NC course brutally hacked into the woods." But I couldn't complain about the location and there were helpful little signs everywhere to keep you on track.

Since playing some other courses and then this one again, though, my eyes have opened to the promise. It's HARD, is the main thing. I'm not used to such narrow freaking alleys and this course has totally busted my balls and challenged me to alter my game in order to survive. It is time to stop whining and man up.
Cons: This course is brand new and needs a ton of work still. There is a massive amount of debris that makes it a bit hectic when you stray from the fairway. I am averaging one tick per round and it FEELS like I'm going to get snakebit every time I pick up my disc. But I haven't seen one yet. #18 leaves you with a bit of a walk back to your car but whatever.
Other Thoughts: Once this course gets cleaned up, has permanent tees and loses some more trees it will be a really nice little course in the manner of the Cornwallis course or the woods course at Cedar Rock. Except more difficult. I look forward to rising to the challenge.

I also like how the course is so integrated into the existing park. The holes lead you near walking paths, a fishing pond, tennis and volleyball courts, baseball diamonds and a dog park without any "collisions". Pretty clever.