Carrboro, NC
Anderson Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: southgrooves Hole #1 (Taken 11/2010)
Hole #1 Approach

1 2 3 Next >
  up and coming

2-4    7/14/2009   7/14/2009
Review By: Jomomister
Pros: When I first played this course I thought "Oh, great. Another classic NC course brutally hacked into the woods." But I couldn't complain about the location and there were helpful little signs everywhere to keep you on track.

Since playing some other courses and then this one again, though, my eyes have opened to the promise. It's HARD, is the main thing. I'm not used to such narrow freaking alleys and this course has totally busted my balls and challenged me to alter my game in order to survive. It is time to stop whining and man up.
Cons: This course is brand new and needs a ton of work still. There is a massive amount of debris that makes it a bit hectic when you stray from the fairway. I am averaging one tick per round and it FEELS like I'm going to get snakebit every time I pick up my disc. But I haven't seen one yet. #18 leaves you with a bit of a walk back to your car but whatever.
Other Thoughts: Once this course gets cleaned up, has permanent tees and loses some more trees it will be a really nice little course in the manner of the Cornwallis course or the woods course at Cedar Rock. Except more difficult. I look forward to rising to the challenge.

I also like how the course is so integrated into the existing park. The holes lead you near walking paths, a fishing pond, tennis and volleyball courts, baseball diamonds and a dog park without any "collisions". Pretty clever.

Slight Reprieve from the Heat

1    6/9/2009   6/9/2009
Review By: tomschillin
Pros: The course is entirely shaded, so when it's 90+ degrees out, like it was today, it's not too terribly unbearable to play a round. (although the humidity will still get you). It's a short course, that looks a little easier than it actually is, every hole is heavily wooded, even #13 which is in an open field! The course starts almost immediately upon entering the park, directly across from the dog park. Park opposite the dog park and hopefully your car will be shaded the whole time you're playing. The park itself is very user friendly, softball fields, dog park, pavilions, fishing pond, restrooms & playground.

As for the course itself, it starts off with a short slight downhill left to right fade with trees lining the right side, easily aceable, end up in the woods and you'll get a 4. This is the case with most of the holes, although the ace runs are not quite obvious, they are there, but you end up in the woods, you're gonna get 4 or more. the first 6 holes are a nice mix of left and right turns that play around the fishing pond and get you over to in between the pond and the softball fields. Hole 7 is the longest on the course (368ft) and has one of the smaller windows to throw through and it plays uphill, so it's probably a little closer to 400, through the woods the whole way. 8 & 9 are nothing to memorable, but #10 was almost stupid it was so tight, it's like throwing down a walking path. #12 was a nice, hard right turn with the basket at the top of the hill 15ft into a field (the first opportunity to not be in the woods). #13 is a fun open field right to left shot over a field of yellow flowers with a 5ft wide window to throw into 200ft away (the window is there, but it literally disappears when you are on the tee pad, you have to walk up 20 ft to see the hole) the basket is 20 ft into the woods. 14-18 are all back in the woods with the basket for 18 being the only time back in a "field" setting, but you're throwing through the woods 200+ ft to get out to the basket.

The signs are simple, but are maybe the most helpful signs I've seen. Every hole has a Tee Sign and at the basket there's a Next Tee sign also. And the underbrush here is very disc friendly, very little ivy/leafy crap for your disc to get tangle in or your legs to pick up poison itchy stuff from, it's mostly pine straw throughout.

The park is very easy to find
Cons: No tee pads/natural tee pads. One pad, I think 10, has a tree within follow through disctance and I smacked my hand on it, probably just user error. There's lots of stump/twigs that trip you up pretty good, including 2 separate hidden barb-wire fences, 1 got me, 1 got my buddy. TICKS. no benches, trash cans, or water fountains that I could find. Lastly, I wish the water would have come in to play. You're around it for the first 4 holes or so, but never once throw over it, probably because it's a "fishing pond" and is used regularly.

My biggest gripe about this place is finishing. When you're done with #18 you can see your car on the other side of the dog park, but you have to walk way around the dog park and a clump of trees to get back to your car.
Other Thoughts: This course is brand spanking new, and I'm sure that in a few months the problems of tee pads and ground clutter tripping me up will probably be gone. Also the addition of benches/trash cans/water will also make this course that much better.

My buddy and I have already talked about making a saturday of Chapel Hill courses and playing this one, Southern Community, then UNC as they are all within 5 minutes of each other. Once the minor flaws are worked out this course will be a 4 for sure.

A fun and scenic challenge

5+    4/6/2011   5/25/2009
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 4/6/2011
Pros: This is an update since I've played it a few times now. The course has really matured in terms of having realistic shaped fairways. It's still well tight on a few holes, but they're doable now. Length is quite good considering the park but it's mostly on the shorter side. (Don't confuse this for a typical park pitch and putt).

If you like short and challenging, good use of park land and elevation, this course delivers. I love the topography in this area and many holes feature it splendidly with nice big rocks jutting here and there out of the soil.

The course is very nicely maintained (lots of underbrush cleared away now, reducing the threat of disc losing greatly) and pretty clean, the caretakers really seem to be doing their thankless jobs. The flow and navigation is a breeze, ample signage, etc.
Cons: Most of the gripes I had about this course (ungodly tight fairways that reward luck over skill) are no more thankfully. The hole variety is still a little lacking, particularly on certain types of holes. For example, there's a bunch of L-shaped holes that bend to the left at an angle that's very daunting for squeezing a standard RHBH hyzer through where a steep FH anhyzer seems to be the best route. Now, I don't mind a challenging, unorthodox line every now and then, but Anderson throws these at you in bunches, a couple coming back to back.

The tees are a little wonky on 16 of the holes, which are wooden frames with cheap putting green material stretched across them. They don't seem like they'll last very long and I remember seeing a tear here and there. The honeycomb tee on #10 and the astroturf tee on #1 are pretty sweet though.

Other Thoughts: Hole 7, 368', gorgeous hole. That hole is the reason I play disc golf. 368' with a creek in the middle means you tee off from high up and finish high up. A good drive on that hole means you don't have to throw or putt from the valley.

I've scaled back my rating a bit after I've played many more courses and gotten better perspective but that doesn't reflect the fact that I think this course is getting better and better. If you combined the best parts of SoCo and Anderson you'd basically have UNC if that tells you anything. It's a challenging but fun little bugger of a course.

Underwhelming Disc Golf Experience

1    5/23/2009   5/25/2009
Review By: The Fleez
This review was updated on 5/30/2009
Pros: DISCatcher baskets, very good use of signs and directions on signs telling you where to head.
Cons: No concrete Tee Boxes, no realistic hole in one opportunities, few birdies. Way too many trees, no ground clearing, lots of stumps and ivy. Tee box placement not well planned on most holes, some have trees impeding back swing. TICKS GALORE!
Other Thoughts: Disappointing Russell Schwartz design. In one years time could be good course with lots of hard work and numerous trees removed on each hole. Unlike the 2nd review of this course, I experienced little to no elevation change, and I did not keep track, but would guess 13/18 holes are dog leg lefts. Also make sure to park immediately when entering the park, the DGC is to the right and has a print out of hole locations.

It is another DGC in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area, but almost not needed. If you want challenging heavily wooded holes, I would suggest traveling 5 minutes down the road to Southern Community Park.

1 2 3 Next >