North Little Rock, AR

My new home course

5+    7/12/2009   7/22/2009
Review By: BigA31640
This review was updated on 7/25/2009
Pros: A great mix of open and wooded shots. A little elevation change. Benches on most holes. Multiple basket positions on most holes. Great use of out of bounds. Locals are generally friendly and easy to approach. Restrooms and water. Bring the wife and kids and they can play at Funland across the street or on the rocket slide. No other park users to get in your way 'cause the course doesn't interfere with any other park users.
Cons: Signage is old and weak. Course can be a little confusing especially when you go from 8 to 9. Baskets are older and some are a little rough.
Other Thoughts: The local Disc Golf scene is just really starting to emerge here. We are doing alot to improve the course. Please be patient. Come out on Sundays at 9am and Fridays at 5pm for doubles and handicap league. There used to be only one course here at the park and now we have 2 right next to each other.

After you play 8 look to your left across the road to the parking lot for the softball fields. You'll see a blue bench that is where the tee pad for is.

Well designed, lots of variety

5+    6/6/2009   6/8/2009
Review By: john501
Pros: Fairly long course, majority of holes are wooded. Water hazards on several holes from which discs can be easily retrieved. Free. Very little interference from pedestrians and others using the park. Multiple pin placements for most holes.
Cons: Can be tough to navigate for people who have not played before.
Other Thoughts: Of the two courses at Burns, this one is my favorite. Lots of chances to go long with your driver. Even the wooded holes offer relatively open fairways. Well maintained by an active and enthusiastic club.

More open than the Red but still pretty wooded

1    4/14/2009   4/14/2009
Review By: NDABRUSH
Pros: Good mix of open and wooded. Good variety of distances. Some of the wooded holes are pretty difficult. There is a creek in play on a few holes, but isn't too deep to get your plastic back. After playing the Red it was a nice change but not too drastic. Well kept. I saw a parks guy there picking up stuff. Between the local group and the parks guys, both of these courses are the most well kept pair that I have played. More than enough benches to rest. Fun course to play. Friendly locals. One guy knew about this site but he didn't ask my screen name so I figured he wasn't a dgcoursereview junkie like me and I assume many others. This site with the reviews and the pictures allows you to know what you are getting yourself into and to pick out the types of courses that you prefer. I really never thought about what courses outside of my area might be like until discovering this website.
Cons: Difficult to navigate in a few places. I was lucky and followed a local. He was extremely friendly and helpful. He was surprised to discover that one of the baskets had been moved about 150-200 ft. I think hole 9.(the first hole after you cross the street for 9-15) not a con just in info. Hole 11 or 12 is a throw and pray shot I hit a tree 3 times on that hole. Need better tee signs Houcks maybe.
Other Thoughts: This in my opinion is a very good course and I would recommend playing both of them if you are in the area or don't mind driving a few hours to play 36 holes at Burns baby Burns.

2-4    8/31/2008   10/2/2008
Review By: bazkitcase5
Pros: Good new concrete tees. This course is challenging, but a lot of fun to play. The variety is really good, with some long open holes, long tight holes, short open holes, and short tight holes. Holes that favor lefties and righties. You will need most every shot in your bag for this course.

There are a couple of bathroom houses on the back half of the course.
Cons: The course does not loop back at the half way point. This course would be difficult for newcomers, but the other course in the park compliments this one well. Only 1 hole was yet to have a concrete tee. It can be difficult to find your way to some holes.
Other Thoughts: The only time I played this course was in a pro championship tournament, so set up was in its most difficult positions (not sure how many different positions there are). It was very obvious to me that the local club had worked very hard in preparation for this big tournament, so the park was in pristine condition. The fairways were clean and a lot of cons I read from the other reviews seemed to be cleared up in my opinion. The park is really easy to get to off the interstate. As a blue level pro player, I enjoyed this course a lot more than the Red course. The balance was better, it was more of a challenge, and the fairways were a lot more fair.