North Little Rock, AR

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Burns Blue

5+    6/6/2016   6/21/2016
Review By: LL_NiO
Pros: It gets you much better as a player because it has a variety of shots. Has some short technical shots at the beginning, gets a little longer towards the middle, and stays long and technical for most of the remainder after 9. New baskets are definitely a plus as well. The park is typically in pretty good shape and parking is really never a problem. Benches/picnic tables at almost every hole is really nice and the signs at each hole are done pretty well too.
Cons: I've played it enough that it doesn't bother me anymore, but there are a lot of old tee pads lying around (mostly on the first half). It makes learning the course pretty tough because it's already mixed in with Burns Red course and on top of that the old unused tee pads just get confusing. OB is always tough for sure, but going over the fence on hole 5 and 7 can be an absolute nightmare so if you aren't pretty accurate with distance than I'd suggest not throwing your favorite disc on those.
Other Thoughts: Just an overall fun/skillful course and park. One of the great things is that you get Burns Red too so you can easily play two rounds in a day (more if you have the energy). Love this course.

Very, very good.

2-4    6/5/2016   6/7/2016
Review By: Joshwest
Pros: - NEW BASKETS. Brand new Mach X's.

- Decent concrete tee pads, good signage.

- Lot of mixture in hole design. Woods, wide open, open with trees, open with an OB creek, tournament layout had two island holes (#3 and #8). Really high quality layout.

- Even though it goes near the interstate, there are holes cut in the fence at places to allow you to retrieve your disc.

- Beautiful part of the park. Grass was perfectly cut, even though there were people playing around the course, I never saw anyone mistakenly get too close to course.
Cons: - A few of the teeboxes can have mud right off the front of them. Speaking from experience, it's not fun throw a great drive, then bust your butt from slipping on mud.

- Could use a little more signage around #8's basket. #9 is a ways across the road, and #16's tee box is very close to #8's basket and seems like it should be the next hole.

- There several holes that have tee boxes near the previous basket. In the tournament I played in, I noticed a lot of groups get backed up because a group was on the next tee box near the their hole. Also, we had someone walking with us, almost get hit in the head by a disc from the previous hole, sure it was that group's fault for not yelling "four", but it really wasn't a bad shot, and if landing near the next tee box is a good strategy for a hole, that needs to be addressed somehow.

- During the tournament we had flags and string marking OB, but I doubt those a permanent. Would be nice to see small wood posts lining OB, to avoid confusion during casual play.
Other Thoughts: - I haven't made up my mind if I like Red or Blue more. It's clear they are perfect compliments to each other. I'd probably have to flip a coin on which to play if I could only play one, but I would hope I would have the time to play both. I would definitely recommend playing both, but if you have to choose.......good luck.

The Blue Review

2-4    8/15/2015   9/2/2015
Review By: Jparker230814
Pros: Fun course with a mix of wood lines and a few open lines. This is a tight course with easy walking. The baskets are old and to me it makes it more nostalgic. I love the tall pines from 9 to 15. The Blue course is the perfect park course. This is not I highly difficult course but the trees will play a factor.
Cons: The tee pads and holes need to be updated for identification.
Other Thoughts: Update, signs, basket numbers and map.

i just dont know

1    6/5/2014   6/5/2014
Review By: cheese dog
Pros: the challenge. this course will eat you up if you are not precise. front nine side of course makes you shape shots to have a chance for par.
Cons: no signs, no maps, no way to navigate. old baskets
Other Thoughts: if you get a chance to play with someone that knows the course do it. i spent more time looking for correct tee pads and baskets. my review rating is higher than i would give a course without signs but respect for an older course is do.

Old baskets, great layout

5+    10/8/2013   10/9/2013
Review By: euclidbr549
Pros: Wonderful (varying) layout with a mix of tight wooded lines, open shots, short and long shots, and noticeable elevation changes wherever the terrain allows. Challenging OB on some holes, plenty of risk-reward opportunities for birdies.
Cons: Ancient baskets, interstate highway noise. Lack of anything except par-3's.
Other Thoughts: I love this course! If it had brand new baskets and a quiet setting it would be my favorite in the state.

My favorite thing about the course is the variety. Hole 1 is a tight wooded shot with multiple pin positons. Hole 2 is a shorter shot with three lines to the pin. Hole 3 is an approach shot with two lines, but the basket is protected enough to reward accuracy with a birdie and punish bad throws with a not-quite-gimme par save. Hole 4 is an absolute bomb with a creek OB to the right, woods trouble on the left, and some beautiful trees in the fairway making you pick your landing area carefully. Hole 5 has two tee pads. The one up at the top of the hill makes you throw about 400 feet or more to have a look at birdie, with OB on both sides and an OB creek crossing your path around 330' to the front, or you can play it safe, lay it in the middle short and look at a 250' upshot. Hole 6 is a tight uphill shot with mature trees and an OB fence in play. This sort of variety continues throughout the course. Pin placement changes frequently on about a third of the holes to keep things fresh.

A golfer can navigate the entire course without ever needing a shot more exotic than an occasional forehand drive. I am RHBH and I can play the whole course without a single flick, and I have played with RHFH and LHBH players that navigate the entire course without pulling anything out of their bag of tricks. That isn't to say the course isn't challenging, or doesn't provide opportunities for multiple shot types, especially if you stray from the fairway.

nice sister course for the red

1    3/11/2013   4/24/2013
Review By: Memphis Newbie
Pros: nice mix of open and wooded holes

the "open" holes are well designed and still force you to shape your shots

a few grassy greens that were guarded by trees were quite picturesque

good variety in hole lengths

decent tees (some of the wooded holes had the numbers broomed into them before the cement set up. unique and cool)

Cons: all par 3--less interesting

missing, broken, or outdated signs (causes confusion, wasted time and spoils the esthetic of the course)
Other Thoughts: this course is well designed and nice looking. it is flatter, longer and more open than the red course. I really like it when on site courses offer such a great variety.

these would be 4 disc courses for me with some nice looking, updated signage. I know signage doesn't matter when it's your home course, but it makes it hard for road tripping visitors to enjoy a course when they are wandering around confused.

Ended Strong

1    3/13/2013   3/27/2013
Review By: SuperBorg
Pros: A couple of open holes to start and finish, and some fun holes through the trees in the middle. A good use of a small creek running through the final holes.
Cons: A few of the holes were absolutely sandwiched between a fence and the road. These were a bit ridiculous. One of my least favorite holes, perhaps ever, is on this course. Both the tee and the basket were within feet of the fence. While one in our group banked the disc off the fence into the basket, my layup slid 10 feet past the basket, under the fence by 8 feet. I'm having flashbacks as I write this.
Other Thoughts: Not as good as the Red Course, but a pretty good course.

I liked it

1    4/3/2012   4/6/2012
Review By: dlopez916
Pros: It was laid out nice, and it had a good mix of holes. It had multiple pin placements, and everything was setup for a flicker, which I am not. I want to play it when it is setup for a back hander like myself.
Cons: Terrible baskets, lots of trash on course
Other Thoughts: I would definitely play it again!

5+    3/10/2012   3/10/2012
Review By: MattMan
Pros: The front 8 and final 4 were pleasant to play. A few were over 400ft to air out some throws, Well places trees to make some of the lines more technical. The OB creek was also really well utilized on most of the holes.
Cons: 9-14 is pretty boring.
9- Throw straight between trees.
10- Throw hyzer between trees
11-FH hyzer between trees
12-Throw hyzer between trees
13-Throw hyzer between trees
14-FH hyzer between trees.

There all about the same length too. I just want more variation here, make them much longer with nicer lines to follow. There is a lot of potential in this area and it feels like it's been wasted.
I will say these have some challenge though. Even though the drives are pretty identical and easy, the baskets are well guarded by trees and you can easily get a terrible lie and be forced a 3. I don't particularly care for too many holes like that, just because I feel like the luck factor is too high, but I'm not counting off points for that.

The chains are quite old and don't grip the putters too well. This is isn't a HUGE con, but still one. I had a putt go straight through the middle from about 10ft out to lose a bird. Okay, I should have taken into account the poor chains, and I'll put that one on me. But far away when going for long birds or ace runs, unless it's hitting bottom of basket, it's probably going to spit out the disc every time. I'd just like a better chance there.

Last con I have is the teepads. Their good concrete teepads, just too narrow and short. I have long legs, and though fine for a FH my BH run up is longer, and it forces me to go beside the tee. I don't mind running on the dirt, but some of the lines are definitely made for the teepad line and that's unfortunate.
Other Thoughts: Lots of kids running around the area, and cars are a bit distracting at times. I've never played when it super crowded with golfers, but I could see a few bad throws cause people to easily play through one another. I also don't think hardly any of the posted distance at the course are correct, but I think they're more accurate on this website.

2-4    8/13/2011   8/13/2011
Review By: cream
This review was updated on 8/14/2011
Pros: This course is very challenging; mix of open and wooded holes; mix of fade and draw drives; long.
Cons: you can throw your disc over a fence on a few holes; baskets are hard to see sometimes and it's easy to throw at the wrong basket on a couple of holes; hard to navigate.

< Prev 1 2 3 4