Lebanon, OH
Countryside YMCA Share
Uploaded By: discpimp   (Taken 6/2012)

It's alright

1    5/4/2014   5/4/2014
Review By: remraf
This review was updated on 5/13/2015
Pros: + Quiet! No traffic outside of disc golf, which likely consists of just you and anyone with you.

+ Actually pretty challenging, in my mind. Lots of lines that I just flat don't have, mostly because I can't throw a side arm. And I am not very good, but mustered a 2 over on the 18 - front whites, back blacks. But its a short course, if it were longer I would have come out much worse.
Cons: - Short
- Not a lot of character or anything to make it memorable. I live close, and frequent Turtlecreek, Gulley, Patricia Allyn, and Harmon. This course ranks behind those in my opinion.
- Short, confusing layout. There are posts, but they are about 3 feet tall, and it's literally a post with something like house numbers on them. Next tee posts with an arrow would help. Get a map from the rec desk or download the pic here on dgcoursereview if you go and haven't been before.
- Big disparity in difficulty between white and black tees. Whites = almost bunny. Blacks = &*%$@
- Must be a member to play.
Other Thoughts: It's not bad. But considering you have to park and walk a1/2 mile to the first hole - I'm not exaggerating - and considering that it's not that memorable, I wouldn't recommend you seek it out. If you like disc golf, you'll like it - of course. And it's nice and quiet - almost tranquil if you're flying solo. But there are 4 courses in the area mentioned above that are better and don't require a membership. There are some pretty challenging drives though.

It's fun to stay at the...

1    5/8/2009   5/21/2009
Review By: Andy Hlavac
Pros: This course is set in a pretty park with abundant wildlife. In fact, before the disc course was opened on 5/5/09, I think the land was just a nature preserve where hikers/walkers could enjoy the flora & fauna.

I would rate the challenge level as just a tick more difficult than the previous reviewer described. Granted, the course is easy (I finished at -1 playing everything as par 3), but some of the holes can get a little thorny (literally and figuratively). There are no long holes where you are required to air it out, but technical expertise is necessary to lace your shot through some tight corridors, or around obstacles.

Multiple tee boxes (white stones for beginners, and black stones for more advanced players) make this a good place to introduce a newbie to the game.
Cons: Unfortunately, this is only a 9-hole course which is always a con for me because I want to play all day. Also, there is a superior 9-hole course at the Mason Sports Park which is only 10 minutes away. There seems to be some room to expand to 18...maybe if the YMCA notices happy patrons frequenting the course they will consider this...

As mentioned in the previous review, the stones which mark the tee boxes for each hole are set in the ground, and difficult to find. We navigated by finding the basket, observing which way the number was facing, and walking back from that direction to hunt for the tee. We jammed some tall sticks in the ground so that subsequent players could find the tees, but those are probably long gone. Some of the beginners tees are marked with little neon orange flags in the ground, but even with those, it was hard to find the tees. This problem will probably get worse unless the YMCA regularly mows the course. Otherwise, the stones in the ground will be surrounded by tall grass and nearly impossible to locate.

Other Thoughts: I played the course without a YMCA membership. I even asked a YMCA employee to point me in the direction of the first tee and she obliged without asking for a membership card or fee.

If the Y invests in tee signs to help players navigate this could be a nice "throw in" course for players who are already hitting up the Gulley, Mason Sports Park, or Turtlecreek.

Easy beginner course

1    5/21/2009   5/21/2009
Review By: SigmaChris
Pros: The course is what it is, a short beginner course in Lebanon, OH on the YMCA property. You must be a YMCA member or play with a member...any YMCA membership should give you access to the property. I believe non-members pay $5 to gain access to the YMCA while with members. This gives you access to the whole property.

It was designed for beginners and kids, so keep that in mind. This is not a challenging course so even intermediate players would be better off going to Mason, Turtle Creek, or Gulley Park which are all fine courses within 15 minutes. I gave this a 2.0 rating for two assumptions...this was designed as a beginner course and its nice / reasonable beginner course. The second assumption is the signs will be installed shortly. If signs are not installed I will knock this back to a 1 because finding the tee areas without signs is impossible, more on that in the cons. The course just opened 2 weeks prior to this review so it is reasonable to believe the signs are being produced.

* Moderately wooded and secluded, so at the very least you get a peaceful and scenic walk.

* Free to play for YMCA members

* This is short and flat but that is a positive for teaching kids the game. This is perfect for taking my 4 year old out to for the next 6 years.

*Maps, score cards and loaner discs available at the equipment desk inside the YMCA next to the racquetball courts.

* Brand new baskets, Discatcher I believe...The type with the yellow band around the top.

* Most of the holes make good use of the woods.
Cons: * Short...as mentioned it is what it is a beginner course.

* There are 2 holes (#1 and #9) where a nature trail could come into play and a hiker could get hit...be careful.

*Tough to find the tees without the signs installed yet. The tee pads are grass that are marked by colored rocks (white forward / black back) which are buried flush to the ground. You can't see the rocks unless you are standing right over them. The grass is usually cut to 4" to 6".
Other Thoughts: I live near by so I will update the info as signage is installed. I also plan to meet with the YMCA after playing the course more to see if a third set of tees can be installed to add difficulty to the course.

Watch out for the pine tree on #4 in the middle of the fairway. It is a left to right hole and this pine will suck up the discs and not drop them. The tree is 40' tall and its branches go all the way to the ground. What sucks is the pine's branches are not strong enough to allow climbing and they are dense so it would be tough to get up.

If you are a non member and want to play look me up at the course guide section. I will be happy to play disc golf and then we could even play racquetball.