Moncure, NC
Swinging DB's Share
Uploaded By: 360chickenwingroller Hole #5

1    8/18/2014   8/27/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: Very tight fairways are mostly smooth and cleanly cut. There are a few longer holes but a lot of the tees here are quite short. It's quite technical and if you like a lot of potential for hitting trees, this is the place for you. There are a ton of early gaps that need to be hit. For that matter, there are a lot of late gaps and gaps somewhere in between. You need to be aware of several trees as you consider each drive but it's the early trees that typically limit what you can do off the tee. Most holes here are puzzlers as there is a line available that will get you to the basket but rarely an easy one to throw. A ton of variety in the lines required, with straight shots as well as hyzers and all sorts of things that don't have names yet. There is also a decent variety in distance, with holes of up to 400 feet and some for which I was surprised at how close the basket was.
The navigation is pretty smooth and though there are a few tines where finding the basket can be tough, finding the next tee is usually a snap. Orange arrows point the way.
Cons: Very flat. Very flat. Mostly for this reason, there aren't a lot of standout holes here. While solid pretty much all the way through, I don't think there is a specific hole that I will remember.
Homemade baskets. Very creatively designed but they aren't discatchers. Shaky bridge crossings over the stream.
For those that want to throw from the tee uninhibited, there are two things that will stop you. One is the single trees that block off the ability to throw a RHBH hyzer off the tee(for example) unless you shimmy over to the left corner of the box. The second is the tee box is edged by wood, which is more of a hazard than a feature.
Other Thoughts: Overall, a very fun course that is tailor-made for local play (especially those that enjoy the schadenfreude of their friends hitting trees fifteen feet from the tee.) but not one that out-of-towners should beeline for.

Great course

1    6/16/2012   8/10/2012
Review By: Drew.S
This review was updated on 8/12/2012
Pros: Its a great course with lots of room to let your discs fly. It has a wide fairways, and even the wooded holes are easy to navigate.
Cons: The are downed limbs and tree stumps on the course from the creation of the rocknroll highway course, but its not bad.

DB's Keeps Growing

5+    4/3/2011   4/4/2011
Review By: Tater
Pros: as mentioned before, DB's is a very technical and tight little course. The more you play it, the better your short and finesse games will be. Every hole is a challenge, and the swinging baskets are just cool. And the course is up to 20.5 holes now (I say that because there are really 21 holes, but they are working on a new hanging basket for the final hole right now).
Cons: I know I mentioned it in the pro's, but it can be a con as well: it's tight! Every time I go out there, there a couple of holes (different every time) where I end up in the woods, and I fight to save a double bogey (on a 200 foot hole nonetheless). But it forces you to play smart and I think helps out your game overall.

Also, if I hadn't had a guide with me the first couple of times I played, I'm pretty sure I would have gotten lost, but the signage is looking good now.
Other Thoughts: It's a great mixture of throws, and plenty of fun routes to explore. And the water, while very hungry for discs, is not too bad, and even if you do lose a disc, it will more than likely be returned out there (put your name on your discs!). Call Don and get out there and play! I also know that they have done doubles out there on fridays, and are going to start back up soon.

Good Vibes, Tough Fairways

1    5/22/2009   5/23/2009
Review By: BrotherDave
Pros: Home grown so you can drink and smoke to your heart's content. It has 19 holes that virtually force every shot you've got. The fairways are very wooded, tight, and challenging. Generally, the shorter the hole, the tighter the fairway. Holes range from ~170' - 400'+. Excellent variety and signage, many holes are themed, Each basket/tee homemade and unique. Well thought and laid out including most holes had benches and bag hangers. Trees generally consist of skinny pines. Water in play on 3 holes (creek). All baskets suspended except for hole 19. 3-4 holes open with good length.

Cons: Some of the baskets are kind of rickety but they're home made and completely functional. Has the tightest fairways as a whole I've ever seen. Not a con per se, more like an advisory. This course requires top accuracy to score well. Rough is fairly more forgiving than I thought it would be. Moncure is a small town, er place, er speck on the map. Get your meals and cash prior to getting there. Some fairways were smaller than a single wide trailer's hallway.
Other Thoughts: Owner was as cool as a moose, he charges $2-3 for maintenance, I gave him $10 for my buddy and me for saving my keister on the directions, uber helpful. Hole 13 (I think) has a disc eating Cedar tree. A lot of TLC has been put into this course and it showed. Well worth it, especially as it is part of a home grown tour. I don't usually carry cash on me so I had a heck of a time getting some for D.B. Fortunately a Citgo gave some cash back. They charge $100 for a keg of PBR though, c'mon!