Weed, NM
Camp of the Tall Pines Share
Uploaded By: kadoguam Hole #17 (Taken 5/2010)
-- / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Solitude

1    1/11/2014   1/17/2014
Review By: Mako8
Pros: This course is set in the beautiful pine forests of southern NM. I did not see anyone else out there; the course was all ours. Great high quality DISCatcher baskets which came in handy on some long holes; the yellow band on top is easy to spot. Great mix of shots and pretty creative and challenging holes. Signage was pretty good when we found the 1st tee box. Rubber tee pads were in pretty good shape, only a couple had erosion problems. Free to play, very fun and challenging.
Cons: This course has too many trees and too long of holes. About 5 holes you can't see the basket and just need to follow the fairway (road) and stay out of the trees. Could use some clearing of trees to keep fun factor up and frustration down. Fairly good use of land, they could have fit twice as many holes in the given area and a few times you are walking downhill to a tee box rather than throwing to a basket near the tee box. With some TLC this course would be in my favorites.
Other Thoughts: It would really help to play this course with someone that has played here before and knows the course. It does get windy here so in the morning is the best time to play. Bring hiking boots and plenty of water. The 18 hole loop isn't broken down into two loops; it is just one big loop. Holes 2,3,4 there is some steep hiking until you make it up on the mesa. Watch out for the pond on #16. My favorite hole was 17; great course and very nice staff. I will play here again. ENJOY!

Awesome course!

2-4    11/10/2012   11/10/2012
Review By: KDFrosty
Pros: -Beautiful scenery away from the hustle of any city.
-Remote enough that we were the only people on the course
-Clean
-The signage is phenomenal. Easily some of the nicest hole info signs I have seen around NM courses. Also signs to the next hole help.
-Easy navigation once you find the first tee.
-Heavily wooded make you rely heavily on accuracy rather than distance. Adds new challenges to your game.
-Elevation changes create some exciting shot opportunities across ravines, etc.
-Course is well maintained.
Camping and cabins on the property.
Cons: -Fairways are tight and make you hit your lines. Not a beginner course at all.
-Some Am tees actually had more difficult lines than the pro tees.
-Marking for locating the first tee could be better.
-Can be windy

A gem in the middle of nowhere

1    8/8/2010   8/9/2010
Review By: eclipsehts
Pros: Rubber Tees, Well Marked, 2 sets of tees on most holes, a lot of elevation change, nice use of terrain
Cons: Alot of "strategically" placed trees
Other Thoughts: This was a beautiful course, be sure you are ready for a hike as the first 4 holes are a climb, a lot of birds (turkeys included), horned frogs and other wildlife made this a unique track to play through, definately worth the time to go out of your way.The only thing that keeps this course from being rated higher is as was mentioned in a previous review...there are many holes where you are simply chucking it into brush and hoping for the best, in particular holes 1, 2, and 14 come to mind.

If you haven't been here you need to try it!

2-4    5/31/2010   6/1/2010
Review By: gschulke
Pros: Beautiful scenery and well marked; Well made "rubber-like" Pro and AM tees; I've played only twice before this course and I was still able to par 5 of 18 holes the last play through; Staff extremely friendly
Cons: Several holes give little option but to go over trees and without my daughter spotting for me I would have spent more hours than I did looking for some of my shots; Not sure if my arm was more sore from throwing discs or from throwing rocks to get my disc out of many trees; Hole 17 is down an extremely steep hill following a power line that was cleared and once it drifts left it can take a long time to find; I definitely recommend a spotter for hole 17.
Other Thoughts: Went to Camp of the Tall Pines to spend Memorial day weekend camping there. Being that it has been more than 5 years since I last played disc golf, I must say I was estatic once I found out they had disc gulf. Took the 3 and 4 year old boys through the course the first two times I played and I must admit the whole family had a great time playing/walking through the course. I'm now planning more camping trips near other courses close to El Paso. I was also told they have tournaments here every September.

Great course, worth the drive

2-4    2/19/2010   2/19/2010
Review By: NWcityguy2
Pros: This course is well marked, very tough and very scenic. The baskets are in good condition as well as the tee pads. This is a wooded course with a few cleared lanes for you to throw through.
Cons: There can be a fine line between throwing through a tight tunnel/window and simply throwing through a thicket of trees and getting lucky. On some holes it feels like the latter. The signs can be a bit miss leading at time about hole placement, causing you to throw to the wrong spot.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course and a breath of fresh air if you are tired of playing in wide open fields of grass. Nobody just "passes through" Weed NM on their way somewhere else so if you want to play this course you are going to have to go out of your way. It is on private property but when I called ahead to see if the course is open to the public they said it was and were very nice and accommodating to me.

This is my "One person ruins it for everyone" speech. Play your loud drunken games on some other course. This is a pristine walk through the woods where I saw deer, turkeys, rabbits, hawks and owls. What I didn't see was beer cans, candy wrappers and ipods hooked to speakers.

Also thumbers and spike hyzers may look tempting, but be warned that those pines trees will snag your disc. I spent 20 minutes throwing rocks up into a tree to get my Buzzz down. In my two times through the course I had to get about 4-5 disc's out of trees. You have been warned :).

If u like the woods

1    9/12/2009   2/6/2010
Review By: redrum23187
Pros: Sweet course very wooded alot of tight shot. course was still fairly new when play so ajustment still being made i belive good directions from hole to hole paths ect. overall i loved it
Cons: to many trees on some hole needs a lil clearing out have no choice but to go over tree
on jst a couple holes but not to bad.
Other Thoughts: looking forward to playing ther again soon!