Chamblee, GA
Chamblee Church DGC Share
Uploaded By: billnchristy Hole #5 (Taken 5/2009)

Quick, Easy, Fun

5+    8/9/2013   8/13/2013
Review By: thewesticle
Pros: - Never very crowded at all. Weeknights have their fair share of folks playing a quick 9 while waiting on traffic to die down, but weekend evenings are wonderfully deserted. It's a good place to come and unload your bag and work on some shots that you're trying get comfortable with.

- The grass is mowed fairly regularly, and the course looks very nice.

- Having your disc returned is much more common here than at some of the other Atlanta courses, (I'm looking at you, Oregon Park), and locals will often leave found discs in the bulletin board case at the first tee.

- While not the longest or most obstacle-strewn course in the area, you will encounter some left-to-right shots, some water, a few elevation changes, and some tricky choices.
Cons: - Dirt teepads that were, until May 2013, unmarked. Also, the teepad color doesn't necessarily correlate with their difficulty. For example, #5 White Tee is the more difficult shot than #5 Red Tee, while #6 Red Tee is more difficult than #6 White. The new yellow posts with the new signs mark the white tees.

- The course is not overly challenging.

- The hill between 7 & 8 can be treacherous in the summer, and makes it very difficult to find discs who've strayed onto it. The Boy Scouts who have their lodge on top of the hill will sometimes bring goats to the park to remove the vegetation, but it has been awhile since the last time this has happened.
Other Thoughts: My first (and only) two aces have been at this course, and it definitely holds a bit of a soft spot in my heart.

nice warm-up course

1    10/22/2011   10/22/2011
Review By: Nathanbr2
Pros: 1) very well maintained fairways
2) not a highly trafficed course
3) very good course for beginners, and a nice warmup for more experienced players
4)Very good use of given land
Cons: 1) VERY hard to find tees...use a map, or find a guide for this course
2) kind of easy for a more experienced player
Other Thoughts: nice clean course. Played this course on the way to east roswell, and was glad to have the warmup.

The creek along holes 4 (clean) and 5 (muddy) are about the only dangers to losing a disc here.

Great practice course

5+    7/28/2013   8/16/2011
Review By: larrod25
This review was updated on 8/13/2013
Pros: Great course for beginners and shorter throwers. More advanced players can get in some good field work and mid-range practice. The course is rarely busy and can be played in about 30 minutes.
Holes 4,5 and 8 are pretty well designed. They require accurate shots and have serious hazards in play.
One of only 2 courses inside I-285, and very convenient to folks on the north side of Atlanta.
Cons: Length, or lack there of. There are only 2 holes playing over 300 ft., and with the exception of the aforementioned 4,5, and 8, are fairly open shots. The rough on hole 6 near the creek will eat your discs, as will the hill between 7 & 8 (definitely in play on 8).
Other Thoughts: This is an updated review of this course, as it has been a couple of years since my original assessment. I played this course last month, and was pleased to find tee signs and tee pad markers for all pin positions. It is now much easier to locate each tee area, though the flow of the course is still a bit strange. Hole #6 from the white tee is still the only 'Hard' hole on the course. At one point there was a plan to add a set of 'Black' tees that would add considerable distance/challenge to the course. Hopefully this will still happen.

If you are traveling to Atlanta and want a challenging course, play Perkerson, Roswell, Alexander, or Oregon Park. For those who live on the north side of town, however, you would be hard pressed to find a better place to practice.

Good practice course

5+    2/17/2011   2/17/2011
Review By: Hegemony
This review was updated on 4/8/2011
Pros: In town. I can play this course on the way home instead of sitting in traffic. Good for a quick DG fix on a work day.

A mix of open holes and a couple with mild obstacles (5, 6, and 8.) The disc-eating areas near 4, 5, and 6 can be easily avoided by playing conservative and not "going for it" or you can add some risk and challenge yourself.

I've now played this course several times, and it's obvious that the designer intended to offer different types of shots between the two tee areas on most holes.
Cons: Course is probably too simple for advanced players to play for anything more than a casual round.

No trash cans or bathrooms. You're never that far from the parking lot, so there's no reason not to take trash out with you.

Some of the tee markers have washed away due to the storms in early 2011.
Other Thoughts: (April 2011) A couple of church staff members were out talking to players about what they could do to improve the course, short of adding more holes. They were also returning discs that they had retrieved out of the creek. They really seem to care about

30-minute Par Course

1    2/10/2011   2/10/2011
Review By: KrayzeeD
Pros: *Quick course, only 9 holes - it's a great stop if you're still wanting more after playing East Roswell or Wills or something else not too far away.

*Well kept - there is a lot of talk about kudzu - this has been resolved. I saw no kudzu during my entire round. Grass was mowed to perfection.

*For what it is, it's a well thought out course - nothing terribly challenging here, but still fun holes.

*Great course to play two rounds on, even if you're playing it as a follow-up after another course.

*Peaceful and relaxing, despite being on busy road.

*Easy access from I-285 without having to get into too much traffic.

*Church passer-by's were all friendly and smiled and waved despite the fact that I was a stranger playing a game on their property.
Cons: *As other reviewers have said, it lacks amenities, but as they have also said, it's a church and they probably aren't planning on dumping a lot of money into the course.

*This course would be far less fun and more hazardous on days where there is a crowd playing. There are some small sections where holes (pin/tee or tee/pin) merge or come very close together.

*Potential disc loss in water on 4, 5, and 6. I had a bad throw on 6 and almost lost one of my favorite discs - I got lucky and it settled on one of the larger rocks in the water where i could reach it. A few inches further out and it would have been unfindable without wading in shin-deep water and probably fingering through mud.

*If there's car traffic, you will have to be extra cautious on the first 4 holes - amazingly, I was there on a Thursday at 2:00 and was having to wait to take shots for fear of hitting a passing car or at the least scaring the crap out of the driver. I assume they have daycare going on, so consider the hours when you choose to play. Also, your tee shot on 3 is right next to/in a parking lot - be careful if cars are present.

*Like many courses, gets muddy on a few holes after a good rain.

*Innova baskets aren't very good at catching discs - this was the cause of both my bogeys.

*Tee placement seems a bit odd - red seems to be the challenge tee on some holes while white seems to be the challenge tee on others. Also, not sure if I was just not looking hard enough or if some vandalism has occured, but I couldn't find both tee sets on all the holes.

*Watch out for the playgrounds if kids are present.
Other Thoughts: I normally would not rate a course based on one round, but for as small and straight-forward as Chamblee is, I felt it was appropriate. As I said, this is a great course if you are just looking to get some extra holes in after a round somewhere else. I can't see many people making the trip out to play here for their only round of the day - and I would advise against it as well. I wrapped this course up in 30 minutes, and that included a few rethrows experimenting with different discs/flights on a few holes.

I rate the course as 2.5 simply because there's not a whole lot going for it, but really nothing bad about it either.

Ignore the comments about the course being hard to navigate. If you get lost on a course this simple and short, you either are not paying attention or you're incompetent.

The creek that runs through here is beautiful and intimidating. On 4 it's not as much a hazard, slightly more on 5, and can swallow a bad shot on 6 - and super drivers beware on 9.

A final note... seriously people - I know we're disc golfers. I know what we do, what behaviors we have, and what activities we choose to partake in. But this is a church that was nice enough to set up a course and let the public play for free. I picked up two beer cans today off this course and wouldn't be surprised if there were more I didn't see. Be respectful to the property, regardless of their/your religious views. There are no trash cans on the course - so put your crap in your bag/pockets or just don't take it out there at all. And you really shouldn't have beer (or other substances of a questionable nature) here anyway.

Always remember you are a GUEST here and you should act as such.

New Nine Hole Course

2-4    6/4/2009   6/8/2009
Review By: hooboy
Pros: First off, kudos to the church for putting this course in the ground. Good mix of open holes (1-3), and holes with some trees, creeks, and heavy vegetation borders coming into play. Course is not long, but is plenty long for beginners or intermediates going about 250 feet. Holes 1-3 are good for practicing driving if you are not a big bomber, all play around 300 feet. I worked out some driving kinks with multiple drives on these holes. Holes 4, 5, and 9 are pretty cool, all bringing the same creek into play. My buddy had the guts to take it out over the creek left of 4 and turn it back to the hole. Two sets of tees on most holes. Moderate elevation changes. Birdies are not easy unless you have a good arm, but pars are not too difficult. Both times we played we were the only people there (weekday evenings). Close to I-285 makes for a quick 9 or 18 holes. Good place to fling it around for some practice, and/or introduce new players to the sport. .
Cons: Course only has the basics, i.e. 9 baskets, and wooden blocks marking the grass tees. We only saw one set of tees on 4, 8, and 9. No next tee signage, maps, distances, benches, water, or bathrooms. While I would call this course mostly open there is heavy shule and/or creeks in play on all holes except 1 and 3. You can definitely lose discs here with errant throws. I've played twice and hunted for discs both times (all found). Tee blocks tend to hide in the long grass. Long walk to number 8 (we got lost). Take stairs into woods, up hill behind 7 basket, past the boy scout lodge, 8 tee next to red brick building. At least two baskets are right next to children's playgrounds. No one there when we played, but could be dangerous. Course is not long, but was long enough for my group's skill level. Baskets are single chain variety - two of my birdie attempts were spit back out.
Other Thoughts: I give the church an "A for effort" for putting the course in the ground and helping to promote our sport. We "respected the space" when we were there. I paced off the distances on each hole. Some do not agree with the hole information on the main page. I suspect the tee blocks get moved around, and / or vanish over time. Hole 9 literally has a wooden cross as an obstacle off the tee. "Heaven forbid" if you hit it.

Pretty nice really

1    5/30/2009   5/30/2009
Review By: billnchristy
Pros: A couple of really cool shots (5 and 9).
Clean facility on church grounds.
It is really cool of the church to build a nice little course like this, when you walk around the grounds you can tell they focus on athletic activities.
Good use of the available terrain.
4-6 run along a very nice creek.
Cons: Natural tee pads but it is not a bad thing, just kind of hard to see until you are close. The course is not heavily played so they are not worn out but could get that way.
Bad, bad, BAD shule on hole 7. I shanked my core and lost it for about 30 minutes and when we got to 9 we went down and helped another guy and his son...I bet there are 30 discs in there.
Only 9 holes!! It really was a fun little course.
From 7 to 8 is kind of hard to find, follow our pictures and you will not get lost.
Other Thoughts: It is really great of the church to set this course up. I hope others get to play it and enjoy it as much as we did. If they wanted to have a fund-raising tournament to get 9 more baskets I would be glad to play it.

This course scored 52 out of 100 with my review system. Its main drawbacks are lack of signage and proper tees.

Its biggest plus is the cleanliness and overall just plain neatness of the course...it is worth going to for 5 and 9!

If you are nearby stop in, maybe supplement 18 at ERP with 9 here.

Nice 9 hole course ITP

5+    5/10/2009   5/28/2009
Review By: darktoaster
Pros: It is great for us ITP people to have somewhere permanent to play.

The course never seems to be that crowded whenever I go.

The two sets of tee markers on each hole also give you the option to play 18 "different" holes even though it is a 9 hole course.

There is a nice creek that comes into play on roughly half of the holes.

The length of the course is relatively short so it will not overwhelm younger/newer players to the game.
Cons: The baskets aren't the best in the world( disc catcher sports) but that is to be expected due to the presumed limited funding of the church.

There is not much in the way of trees on this course so if that is the type of course you enjoy then you should probably look elsewhere.

The back half of the course has tons of kudzu that likes to eat discs during the summer months.

Could use better signage to help people get around the course for the first time.

There are fenced in playgrounds directly next to two of the baskets.

The short length of the course may disappoint those of you that have big arms. I don't think that there are any holes over 350 or so feet, possibly even 325ft.
Other Thoughts: Please remember to be on your best behavior. This course is on church property and they have been nice enough to open it up to the public. Please don't ruin it for others.