Chamblee, GA
Chamblee Church DGC Share
Uploaded By: billnchristy Hole #8 (Taken 5/2009)
Hole #8 Red Tee

Local Course

5+    6/25/2011   7/4/2011
Review By: CX Novice
Pros: 1. Close to work, easy to navigate to during rush hour (inside the Perimeter).
2. Easy to park, shaded; not too crowded.
3. Simple, intuitive course layout; varied terrain.
4. New tee markers for red & white; new black tee markers coming soon.
5. It's fun; that's most important, right?
Cons: 1. Only 9 holes, but that may change this year.
2. Grass not always mowed.
3. Sometimes crowded on week nights due to its location.
4. Don't play before 1:00pm on Sundays, this is a church.
Other Thoughts: The church staff are very nice and accomodating; they welcome all disc golf players, regardless whether they are congregation members or not.

Good practice course

5+    2/17/2011   2/17/2011
Review By: Hegemony
This review was updated on 4/8/2011
Pros: In town. I can play this course on the way home instead of sitting in traffic. Good for a quick DG fix on a work day.

A mix of open holes and a couple with mild obstacles (5, 6, and 8.) The disc-eating areas near 4, 5, and 6 can be easily avoided by playing conservative and not "going for it" or you can add some risk and challenge yourself.

I've now played this course several times, and it's obvious that the designer intended to offer different types of shots between the two tee areas on most holes.
Cons: Course is probably too simple for advanced players to play for anything more than a casual round.

No trash cans or bathrooms. You're never that far from the parking lot, so there's no reason not to take trash out with you.

Some of the tee markers have washed away due to the storms in early 2011.
Other Thoughts: (April 2011) A couple of church staff members were out talking to players about what they could do to improve the course, short of adding more holes. They were also returning discs that they had retrieved out of the creek. They really seem to care about

30-minute Par Course

1    2/10/2011   2/10/2011
Review By: KrayzeeD
Pros: *Quick course, only 9 holes - it's a great stop if you're still wanting more after playing East Roswell or Wills or something else not too far away.

*Well kept - there is a lot of talk about kudzu - this has been resolved. I saw no kudzu during my entire round. Grass was mowed to perfection.

*For what it is, it's a well thought out course - nothing terribly challenging here, but still fun holes.

*Great course to play two rounds on, even if you're playing it as a follow-up after another course.

*Peaceful and relaxing, despite being on busy road.

*Easy access from I-285 without having to get into too much traffic.

*Church passer-by's were all friendly and smiled and waved despite the fact that I was a stranger playing a game on their property.
Cons: *As other reviewers have said, it lacks amenities, but as they have also said, it's a church and they probably aren't planning on dumping a lot of money into the course.

*This course would be far less fun and more hazardous on days where there is a crowd playing. There are some small sections where holes (pin/tee or tee/pin) merge or come very close together.

*Potential disc loss in water on 4, 5, and 6. I had a bad throw on 6 and almost lost one of my favorite discs - I got lucky and it settled on one of the larger rocks in the water where i could reach it. A few inches further out and it would have been unfindable without wading in shin-deep water and probably fingering through mud.

*If there's car traffic, you will have to be extra cautious on the first 4 holes - amazingly, I was there on a Thursday at 2:00 and was having to wait to take shots for fear of hitting a passing car or at the least scaring the crap out of the driver. I assume they have daycare going on, so consider the hours when you choose to play. Also, your tee shot on 3 is right next to/in a parking lot - be careful if cars are present.

*Like many courses, gets muddy on a few holes after a good rain.

*Innova baskets aren't very good at catching discs - this was the cause of both my bogeys.

*Tee placement seems a bit odd - red seems to be the challenge tee on some holes while white seems to be the challenge tee on others. Also, not sure if I was just not looking hard enough or if some vandalism has occured, but I couldn't find both tee sets on all the holes.

*Watch out for the playgrounds if kids are present.
Other Thoughts: I normally would not rate a course based on one round, but for as small and straight-forward as Chamblee is, I felt it was appropriate. As I said, this is a great course if you are just looking to get some extra holes in after a round somewhere else. I can't see many people making the trip out to play here for their only round of the day - and I would advise against it as well. I wrapped this course up in 30 minutes, and that included a few rethrows experimenting with different discs/flights on a few holes.

I rate the course as 2.5 simply because there's not a whole lot going for it, but really nothing bad about it either.

Ignore the comments about the course being hard to navigate. If you get lost on a course this simple and short, you either are not paying attention or you're incompetent.

The creek that runs through here is beautiful and intimidating. On 4 it's not as much a hazard, slightly more on 5, and can swallow a bad shot on 6 - and super drivers beware on 9.

A final note... seriously people - I know we're disc golfers. I know what we do, what behaviors we have, and what activities we choose to partake in. But this is a church that was nice enough to set up a course and let the public play for free. I picked up two beer cans today off this course and wouldn't be surprised if there were more I didn't see. Be respectful to the property, regardless of their/your religious views. There are no trash cans on the course - so put your crap in your bag/pockets or just don't take it out there at all. And you really shouldn't have beer (or other substances of a questionable nature) here anyway.

Always remember you are a GUEST here and you should act as such.

good for practice

5+    2/2/2011   2/6/2011
Review By: rnance7
Pros: Fun course to let loose on and feel comfortable for beginners or for those just wanting to practice skill shots. Two sets of tee pads so you can turn it into 18 holes.
Cons: holes sometimes not long enough
Other Thoughts: dont worry that its at a church, no one comes out preaching at you! really a nice little course

Light and Fun

1    8/14/2010   8/16/2010
Review By: slengel82
Pros: It's a small 9 hole course that is open, light, and good for some simple practice. A nice beginner friendly course with not too much going on. Short holes and very well maintained. Not too difficult to find your way around.
Cons: It's at a church so I felt bad cursing or doing other irresponsible things. There is some disc eating kudzu that can be difficult. The holes are marked with wood markers and some were missing or in sad shape.
Other Thoughts: We wanted to play 18 so we played red to start and then switched to white. To keep it interesting (and because a group started as we finished the first 9) our #10 hole was the 6th hole white tees. It mixed it up enough for it to be fun. Easy course to break even on pro par which builds confidence. Don't expect many difficult shots, mostly if not entirely open. I will return but it isn't going to replace my home course any time soon. Simple, light, open, fun, and easy.

Fun little course

2-4    11/28/2009   11/29/2009
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
Pros: Decent mix of open shots that play up and down hills with some holes that bend around the edge of the woods. The water hazard (creek) really affects the way you place shots on a couple of holes. The church grounds are well maintained and this is a safe neighborhood. There are two sets of "tee blocks" on each hole: two blocks of wood painted white (long) or red (short) with the hole number. No crowding, even when there were multiple groups playing at the same time.
Cons: This is a private church providing a course to the public for free, so please keep that in mind as I list the "cons" of this course. The amenities are of the bare minimum variety: no signage, benches or trash cans. Without having a map (a good one is available on this website via the Links/Files tab above), the course is almost impossible to navigate. Even with a map, it can be difficult to locate the small tee blocks unless you know where to look. The tee blocks were completely missing from holes 6, 7, 8 and 9 (other than the white ones on #9). There is a lot of interference with other church activities. For example, the baskets on two holes (2 and 8) are placed adjacent to a playground. We had to skip #8 because we were worried about stray discs wandering onto one of the playgrounds.
Other Thoughts: The playground danger and lack of amenities are what resulted in my low rating. That aside, this is actually a fun little course! The church has done a good job of fitting nine holes on their property and maintaining decent separation. Even though none of the holes are especially challenging, they don't seem repetitive or boring. There are a few blind holes that require interesting shots to compensate for the rises and dips in the terrain. This is a great course to take the kids or for beginners to work on their game, as well as for anyone who wants to get in a quick short round.

Open layout, beautiful natural surroundings and interesting holes make for a satisfying DG experience

1    8/20/2009   8/20/2009
Review By: JasonK
This review was updated on 3/1/2010
Pros: Nice open course layout, never crowded, cool natural obstacles and interesting lines. Opportunity to open up and let it rip unlike many of the wooded courses in the area. Well maintained by professional landscapers. Also, its very convenient for most of north Atlanta.
Cons: May be too elementary for advanced players. Nine holes offer limited variety. Lots of kudzu and a flowing creek can lead to lost discs in the out of bounds areas.
Other Thoughts: I love this simple little course. Plenty of opportunities to try out new shots and discs. My friend and I played the course twice for a full 18-hole experience. The open layout of most of the holes was a welcome change for this beginner-intermediate player since so many courses around Atlanta are deeply wooded (E. Roswell, Wills Park and Sequoyah come to mind). Very pretty natural surroundings, quiet on a weekday (although you can hear the local traffic). The holes were interesting to throw with layouts near the creek and the woods which presented some cool challenges and require RHBH and sidearm shots. The wind on the day I played was moderate to strong and was a serious factor which required adjustments that (mostly) resulted in some monster drives. Since the course is on private land it is very well maintained by the church landscapers with manicured lawns and fairways. The rough was just that but even a new player can avoid the creeks and kudzu by throwing conseratively. I found some new aspects to my game playing here and will come back again, hopefully soon. I applaud the Chamblee Church for putting a disc golf course on their very beautiful property. It's a gift to the local DG community. Happy tossing!

Fun Practice Course

1    9/4/2008   7/4/2009
Review By: WAS1
Pros: • The Only course inside of I285
• Quick practice round on a friendly recreational course
Cons:
• Only 9 holes
• Kudzu eating disc
Other Thoughts: This course is excellent for a quick after work practice round. In general it is designed to beginner friendly but hole 5 can be challenging.

Signature hole: 4 along the creek

New Nine Hole Course

2-4    6/4/2009   6/8/2009
Review By: hooboy
Pros: First off, kudos to the church for putting this course in the ground. Good mix of open holes (1-3), and holes with some trees, creeks, and heavy vegetation borders coming into play. Course is not long, but is plenty long for beginners or intermediates going about 250 feet. Holes 1-3 are good for practicing driving if you are not a big bomber, all play around 300 feet. I worked out some driving kinks with multiple drives on these holes. Holes 4, 5, and 9 are pretty cool, all bringing the same creek into play. My buddy had the guts to take it out over the creek left of 4 and turn it back to the hole. Two sets of tees on most holes. Moderate elevation changes. Birdies are not easy unless you have a good arm, but pars are not too difficult. Both times we played we were the only people there (weekday evenings). Close to I-285 makes for a quick 9 or 18 holes. Good place to fling it around for some practice, and/or introduce new players to the sport. .
Cons: Course only has the basics, i.e. 9 baskets, and wooden blocks marking the grass tees. We only saw one set of tees on 4, 8, and 9. No next tee signage, maps, distances, benches, water, or bathrooms. While I would call this course mostly open there is heavy shule and/or creeks in play on all holes except 1 and 3. You can definitely lose discs here with errant throws. I've played twice and hunted for discs both times (all found). Tee blocks tend to hide in the long grass. Long walk to number 8 (we got lost). Take stairs into woods, up hill behind 7 basket, past the boy scout lodge, 8 tee next to red brick building. At least two baskets are right next to children's playgrounds. No one there when we played, but could be dangerous. Course is not long, but was long enough for my group's skill level. Baskets are single chain variety - two of my birdie attempts were spit back out.
Other Thoughts: I give the church an "A for effort" for putting the course in the ground and helping to promote our sport. We "respected the space" when we were there. I paced off the distances on each hole. Some do not agree with the hole information on the main page. I suspect the tee blocks get moved around, and / or vanish over time. Hole 9 literally has a wooden cross as an obstacle off the tee. "Heaven forbid" if you hit it.

This is a fun little course

1    6/7/2009   6/7/2009
Review By: craigd
Pros: This is a pretty fun nine hole course that meanders through the somewhat scenic property of the Chamblee First United Methodist Church. Let me start by saying that I think that it is really cool that a church would be willing to be a part of disc golf. I was surprised that the baskets were in plain view as you pull into the parking lot and not buried somewhere in the back of the property. It was really inviting from the get go and I felt welcomed. Well, on to the review.

This is certainly not the most challenging course in the world but sometimes fun trumps challenge. This course defiantly is no exception. These nine holes boast a mainly open layout with a couple of holes that are wooded or have fairways that require some accuracy to reach the basket. One through three are wide open shots and are good for warming up. A creek runs along the fairway of hole number four and adds a little interest and risk for a change of pace. Five is the most wooded hole and it seemed to be the most challenging in terms of the accuracy needed to avoid the trees. Six's white tee is a dogleg turning slight left with what is the closest thing to a punch out on the course. The red tees will have you throwing what is almost a ninety degree left hand dogleg and is probably the most difficult shot on the course. Seven which is not unlike one, two, and three, is a pretty easy shot. But too much power will send you into some pretty heavy vegetation and you could spend some extra time looking for your disc if you put a little extra on your drive. This is a pretty good risk for this course, relatively speaking. Eight also has a little risk tossed in. While it is short, the playground on the left and thick kudzu on the right will have you aiming carefully. The trees scattered near the basket add to the challenge as well. Nine was my favorite on the course. The red and white tees both gave different looks at the basket and both were equally fun. White throws across a pretty steep kudzu hill and through a couple of small trees. The red is a slight downhill over the outdoor sanctuary.

Two tee pads for each hole are always nice. Based on the land available, it seems the designers tried to place the white and red pads in such a way to make them distinctively different from one another. Being a fairly open course, obviously they could only do so much. But still, you can play both pads and get your full eighteen holes without feeling like you are playing the same nine twice. The course flows pretty well and is pretty easy to follow.

The natural tee pads are clearly marked with timbers painted with their corresponding colors/numbers. The pads, although natural, are in great shape with no ruts, roots, loose gravel, etc to distract you.

The baskets are in great shape and easily spotted out on the course. They are numbered as well.

I am running the risk of over using the phrase but… This is a perfect course to introduce a new player. It is very easy and short, but most of all, it was really fun.
Cons: No signs, benches, trashcans, or other amenities that you like to have on an established course. I didn't try to enter the building but I think it would be best to assume that you can't get in. In other words, go to the bathroom before you get out there to play.

The Innova baskets are in great shape but they are the single chain models. I guess what some may consider the too short/too easy holes can be made more challenging by the potential spit outs by the cheaper baskets.

Although the playgrounds were empty when I played, I don't think baskets should ever be placed near where unsuspecting people, especially children, may gather.

A few holes played near/across roads and that is not ideal. Most likely you won't see many people so it should not come into play. You will also find yourself playing near a parking lot.

I thought the transition between five and six was poorly thought out. The tee pad for six actually backtracks into the fairway of number five, thirty feet or so behind the basket.

You may have to look around on you first trip to find the tee pads. As I mentioned in the "pros" section they are clearly marked but they are on the ground and kind of hard to see from far away. Find number one and then you are good to go for the rest of the round!
Other Thoughts: Wow, how cool is it for a church to install a disc golf course? I have seen a few on this site but this is the first one that I have actually played. I hope some more pop up in the near future. I was also surprised that the church did not promote their faith out on the course in any way whatsoever. I have seen where others have put scriptures on tees signs, etc. I was actually looking forward to seeing how they would evangelize out on the course.

If you are passing through the area stop in and play! If you live in North Atlanta you pass it all the time as you cruise across the top end of I-285. It is only two minutes off the exit. I don't suggest a lengthy drive to play here by any means but if you are in the area stop by for sure. Enjoy!