Oak Harbor, WA
Fort Nugent Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: ninja-don Hole #18 (Taken 6/2011)
Hole #18 Youth Tee

Fort Nugent DGC

1    7/28/2013   7/29/2013
Review By: eye-ball-sac
Pros: This course is located in a very sports-centered park in Oak Harbor. The park seems very well established and busy with people there for activities besides disc golf. Disc golf is also quite established and seems to be a well-received addition to the park. There are signs around some of the busier parts of the course warning about flying discs which is nice to see. Tee signs are pretty nice. They show a map of the course and the distance of the hole. I will say that sometimes the scale of the map seems hard to follow on some of the very short holes; it's hard to describe. Concrete tee pads are great and all angled in the right direction. Baskets are DISCatchers and seem to be in great condition. The practice basket has a circle of logs around it (although I'm not sure what the circle is for. It's definitely not the 10 meter circle). Most of the holes are short and wooded and are a good introduction to wooded holes. Even though you are playing in pretty thick woods, the fairways are actually pretty wide compared to other wooded courses I've played. Almost all of the wooded holes can be reached with a putter or mid range at the most which is another good intro to wooded courses.
Cons: The flow of the course is weird. There are quite a few holes that make you throw really close to the next tee pad. Some backtracking in places. The course smacks you with ALL of the wooded holes at once and then gives you the open holes. After hole 12 the course gets very boring. It's all just about 300 foot open shots to the basket. I will give them credit for utilizing the hills near the soccer field, but that's still not enough to save this boring trek back to the parking lot. The walk from 17 to 18 is pretty lengthy and it really just seems like they're trying to get you back to where you started. I felt like there was no variety in the holes. It's either a typical wooded turnover shot or a wide open hyzer shot. I just felt like the design wasn't very creative in this course. I felt like they were just trying to shove a course in here, and they did an okay job, but I think it could have been done much better.
Other Thoughts: I was very conflicted with the rating of this course because I really didn't like the design much at all. I felt like they could have made a challenging wooded 9 holes, but instead they shortened all the holes and shoved 18 in. With that being said, all the amenities are what made this course enjoyable. Who doesn't like bright tee signs and excellent baskets? Overall, I really did have fun here and I would definitely make a trip back if I was in the area again.

-------------------------
If you mark this review unhelpful or you find a mistake, please send me a personal message here on DGCR explaining what is wrong with it.

1    11/24/2012   11/24/2012
Review By: Ranger Rick
Pros: Great signage.
Easy navigation.
Front half is mostly wooded which adds to the challenge - I really liked it.
Baskets were all in great shape.
Concrete tee pads
Bag hooks on most signs
Plenty of trash cans
Cons: Back nine runs along a fence on the left, which makes it harder for left hand players.
Other Thoughts: The front half really challenges you to make tight shots, and stay in control at all times. Lose focus and your digging through the underbrush for your disc.
Lots of activity, great to see folks playing!

One of my favorites

5+    9/1/2012   9/11/2012
Review By: medikated
Pros: Good signs, cement tee pads, nice baskets and good practice basket. Not hard to navigate. Good for all skill levels. Nice clean park with other decent ammenities.
Cons: Some holes are so short they seem like nothing more than challenging putts. Last few holes are squeezed in along the property line along soccer fields. Would like to see more trash cans and benches.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoy this cousre.

Even though a good number of holes are less than 200' you still need to be accurate to avoid getting into trouble.

When football practice is going on holes 2 and 6 may have to be skipped.

Also watch out when teeing of on hole 3, there is a blind path leading from the housing area to the park about 10' in front of the pad that people will take, I almost let a drive rip into someones grandpas head.

No really elvation changes but that doesn't bother me since the course has a good number of holes in the woods forcing you really on accuracy.

Finally I've played this course on a regular basis since it's opened, it has come a long way and in a completely postive manner. I can't wait to see how much more this course will improve.