Oak Harbor, WA
Fort Nugent Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: ninja-don Hole #14 (Taken 6/2011)

1 2 Next >
 FORT NUGENT PARK DGC

5+    8/24/2010   8/30/2010
Review By: S3R14L_K1LL4
Pros: -This is a very well maintained course!!!
-W.I.D.G. has and continues to put alot of heart into the course.
-The recently added juniors tees, are a great addition for the kids!
-Many Changes happening, that are surely to make the course more interesting and safer for other park users.
Cons: **THE FOLLOWING ARE CURRENTLY CHANGING, AND WILL BE COMPLETE BY NOVEMBER IF NOT SOONER**
-Holes 13-18, there is a constant chain link fence running within 10 feet of left side of tees, and 10-20 of Baskets (except 17)
-Hole 10 has a baseball field that's easily landed in and is regularly used by kids for practice...unsafe.
-Hole 18 has a road running parallel with the hole with standard chainlink fence as divider...could use a high fence or change location(DON'T KNOW IF THEY INTEND TO CHANGE THIS ONE)
Other Thoughts: Granted, I've only played courses from Northgate, WA to Bellingham, WA, but this is my favorite place to play....bar none!!! This is my home course, and it's this course that made me the discin addict that I have become!!! Tim and Danni Baugher, with the help of the tag holders of W.I.D.G(whidbeyislanddiscgolf.com), have put a lot of heart in maintaining this course, and making it become the great course that it is. It has a great difficulty. There are great signs showing course and hole layouts, and they are very accurate.The ever changing Island winds, make every round different, nomatter how many rounds you play. Tag holders are regulars and come out daily, always caring a smile and welcoming new comers. There was recently the first real tourney that involved sponsors (INNOVA included) and people from all around! THE RISING ISLAND OPEN was a great experience and I am deffinetly going to participate in DISC ADDICTION 2010 in November (first PRO tourney with other divisions as well!!!) Anyone who appreciates Disc Golf and has the heart that I do for it, should deffinetly checking out this course!!!

Good 'n' challenging

5+    3/14/2010   3/23/2010
Review By: Fish
Pros: Textured concrete tees, easy to read informative signs, practice basket, well kept paths, good variety of holes and different strategies, easy to find the next hole.
Cons: 14, 15, 16th holes are often very muddy and losing discs over the fence to the left has been quite annoying. I love the forest feel of the front 9 holes but the underbrush is just too much, if you stray off the path it can be a challenge to track down your disc.
Other Thoughts: I love playing this course because everytime I go it feels like I'm playing it for the first time. Whidbey Island's weather changes so much from day to day that it creates new challenges all the time. This course has improved my overall playing greatly. If this were an easy course I would get bored.

Was Nice to find

1    8/20/2009   8/20/2009
Review By: Hippy007
Pros: This is a nice park type course. They use all the land around the fields and play though the woods too. It was a nice find when I was out on a family trip to find a course near by to play. It has a great flow to it too.
Cons: The basket are mostly right next to the next tee, some times only 20 feet or so on a few. All of the back 9 pretty much play around the ball fields and all the baskets from 13 on are next to a fence. Some of the lines to the baskets are way to twisty to get disc's through. 13-16 all feel like the same hole, short and up against a fence.
Other Thoughts: This course is a RHFH or LHBH course all the way through. There are not very many holes that are for RHBH throws unless you like a lot on an-hyser and play that way.

I was really glad to find this place while I was up here. I did not think I would get to play while I was on the family vacation but then I found this place. It was not the best I have ever played but it was very nice to find. It is also in very nice shape and I was the only one playing, when I was there.

New Course On Whidby Island!

1    8/15/2009   8/18/2009
Pros: This area finally has a course. So that's my first plus. It's a new (maybe 5 years old park) multi-use park. There's a variety of activities for folks to do there. The course is almost like two courses in one. After # 1, the next 11 holes are mostly tight and play through the woods. The final 6 wrap around the outskirts of soccer fields. The teepads are large with great grip. The baskets are brand new and the tee signs are brightly colored and informative. The flow of the course was good but I must be getting blind because I didn't notice many next tee signs.
Cons: There were many holes with blind baskets. I'm never thrilled with more than 1 or 2 blind baskets on a course. The benches and trash cans will come with time. A very little bit of selective logging could really help a couple of the fairways. I felt that the flightpaths on many of the wooded fairways weren't natural. Discs don't fly right, left and then right again. I think if enough players are playing this course, they will eventually help stomp down and clear out much of the thick underbrush.

Probably my biggest con about the course is # 13 to # 17 are all almost the exact hole only with varying distances. On each you tee off with the fence bordering on your left and just heave your disc to the right and let it hyser back to the basket. I imagine lefties will not love these holes. And when soccer games are in progress, disc players will haveto be careful to keep their drives off the soccer fields.
And # 10 does present a problem when ballplayers are on the field. I just threw a roller. That way I was fairly certain that I wouldn't be hitting any ballplayer on his head.
Other Thoughts: Thanks for all the time and hard work that went into this course. I think you designed a fairly nice course working with the grounds and obstacles that this particular park has.

Fort Nugent DGC

1    6/14/2009   6/15/2009
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 3/18/2011
Pros:
When entering Fort Nugent Park DGC you are overwhelmed with the amount of things to do for the outdoor adventurist. Whether it be basketball, football, baseball, disc golf, or the most amazing playground ever built for kids, there is enough there to make an entire day of it for you and/or the family. Located in the heart of Oak Harbor, this course is about 40-45 minutes from the Mukilteo/Whidbey Island Ferry and is easy to locate. Fort Nugent Park DGC is surrounded by beautiful towering Pines and other native foliage which make it relaxing and a lot of fun to play.

The course layout for the most part was well thought out for being such a new course, and well mixed including several tight wooded holes (#'s 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, and 12) and several open (#'s 1, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18). With the exception of hole two, all give you a chance for birdie once you know the layout well enough and even a few shots at an ace (#'s 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 16). A lot of time I found myself trying to go for the ace and overshooting the basket therefore I had to make some long putts to keep my birdie or par. However, I did like how most of the pins were heavily guarded which made it that more difficult.

The DISCatcher baskets were in excellent condition and were so new that the foam wrapping was still on parts of them which was cool because it felt like I was the only one playing the course. Tee pads were all cement and were plenty long to get a big run-up when needed (necessary for only holes 10 and 18, both par 4's). The signs were top notch as well, showing both distance and pin placement, and were in full color about 4 feet off the ground making the next tee easy to spot. Another thing that made the course easy to navigate was the signs letting players know where the next tee was located (great for first time players).
Cons:
For being brand new I tried to take it easy on the course because I know that in order for things to be perfect it takes time, patience, and a lot of work.

That being said, there was definitely some things that could be improved. As Ninja-Don stated in his thorough review, trash cans and benches are a must, especially on those busy days when there are several people playing the course (although there was little to no trash in view when I played).

Cleaning up the fairways is a must as well. Holes 2-9 had a lot of foliage on both sides of the tight fairways so if your accuracy is off or you get a bad deflection off a tree you will be spending some time searching for your disc. Although I didn't think #'s 3-9 were that bad (as long as you have a spotter) hole two was ridiculous. The fact it was 320 was not the problem but rather that the fairway was 15 feet wide and had unbelievable amounts of bushes on either side. My first two shots were in the bushes and without my wife, I would have never found my disc. My third shot was from about 40 feet out and with a huge anhyzer I pulled off an amazing par shot.

I could also see some issues with hole 10 being that you must throw a huge anhyzer/ sidearm 400+ feet past a ball field so if you don't have distance and/or control, or are a novice/amateur you could find yourself in the middle of some kids playing baseball which would be embarrassing.
Overall, I was very impressed with Fort Nugent Park DGC. It seemed like it was a great little course to learn the basics on. There was plenty of room on the ball fields to practice form and distance on and quality pads/baskets to work on the basic fundamentals of teeing off and putting. The course gave players a chance to experience some of the elements that make disc golf so much fun including water, elevation, wind, woods, and at times distance.

Playing this course once I was able to score 8 under and know if I have a chance to play it again and try to not go for it so often I would be able to go double digits under par. With the course being so new, like a fine wine, it will get better with age.

However, I can't imagine it ever being better then 3 stars due to how short the course is ( 8 holes =/< 200, 4 holes < 300, 4 holes < 400, and 2 holes >400) unless they end up purchasing the land behind the course which would most likely raise my score up to 3.5+ stars.

There is a lot of potential not only for this course but for Whidbey Island as a whole. I would love to see more expansion, adding some courses further south towards the Mukilteo/Whidbey Island Ferry for those who come from the south.

My hats off to all those who helped to get this course in the ground and I wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.

Sherwood Forest

5+    6/6/2009   6/7/2009
Review By: ninja-don
This review was updated on 6/24/2011
Pros: ***[[[UPDATE - 17JUNE2011]]]
Changed my rating from 2.5 to a 4.0, here is why;
I took a year or so off from DG and in that little time this course has changed a lot! And ALL for the better. There is still plenty of good info in the original post, but here is the new stuff:
First holes 1 and 2 are different (for the better). They took out holes 10 and 17 for safety and relocated 10 in the woods, and added a new hole 11. After that tee 11 is the new 12, tee 12 is the new 13, tee 13 is the new 14 and so on through hole 17. All the baskets are numbered correctly though. And hole 18 is normal. (I've read that they are working on new signs.
This course is still very easy to navigate... however the new 10 and 11 are a little hidden and have no sign or concrete tee pads. That being said once you finish hole 9 follow the trail and follow the blue sign tells you to go right (downhill) a little ways down the path you will see a tee pad... just before you get to that there is a dirt tee area on the right which shoots back towards basket #8, this is #10 and it has two pin placements. Hole 11's tee is to the left of basket 10... easy to follow the path. 11's tee is also dirt and shoots back towards the way you came.
Added items... each of the signs have hooks on them for your bags, and I saw at least 5 or 6 trash cans.
This course has tons of work done and plenty of people who keep improving it.
I will upload an edited map with estimated locations of the new holes... but will be GPSing the course soon... I'll upload that course as well too.
Oh yeah they have Jr. tees on some of the holes now and many of the holes have multiple pin placements.

PLAY THIS COURSE... YOU WON"T BE DISAPPOINTED!!!

[[[Old original review]]]
BRAND NEW COURSE!!! That being said let's get to it;
FREE: is always my first PRO. (I love free DG).
The course sign at the beginning is very nice showing the course map (it's the same as in the link on this site).
Practice basket at the beginning.
The baskets are all matching and new. Tee pads are new and level and were dragged prior to drying to give that extra traction.
Tee signs are nice and give a pretty good idea to where the baskets are. They are high enough to see easily which is very helpful to finding the next tee after completing a hole.
There are also blue signs (with white text) that direct you to the proper tees when they are not close to the prior hole, as well as one when you first drive into the park that tells you where the disc course is.
The course is laid out in a very good flow from one hole to the next. First 9 Plus # 11 are very technical. (some might call it a con, but if they weren't this technical, they would be too easy)
The last 7 plus # 10 are pretty easy and in the open, but be careful not to lose you disc over the fence to the left, as it lines the last 7 hole to the left of each basket. This and the slope that most of the baskets are on are the only reason the last holes have any challenge to them.
The one thing that really stuck out in my mind is that when i was finished I felt like I had played two different courses. That is how much of a drastic difference that there is between the front 9 and the back 9 ("TWO 4 ONE").
Baskets (that are visible) are easy to see and should not be confusing at to which basket you are shooting for. Even the blind baskets are obviously the only one you will be shooting at (you normally can not see more than one basket at a time).
Not crowded at all (probably because it is new), but even it was crowded the course should still flow well.
Cons: OK there are many, but most are small details and can be fixed with time and maybe some volunteer help. Since this course is new and is the ONLY one on Whidbey Island there are some little things that may have been over looked and is the only reason I gave this course a 2.5 rating... once some of these small things are taken care of, this course would easily be a 3.5 or 4 in my mind.
No trash cans (easy fix).
No benches (easy fix) and would only need a few every other hole or even every 3rd hole since most holes are close to each other.
The tee sign are good, but don't give a very accurate feeling as to where the basket is when the basket is not in plain view (you can walk a short way and find them, but a little more detail on the sign would help).
The first 9 plus #11 are tunnel (trail) shots. Not much room for error.
A lot of the baskets are in the woods (just off the trail) and are well protected by trees and brush. This makes for a challenging shot(s) but leaves the ground very rough and un-level near the baskets (I feel that as more rounds are played, the foot traffic will solve a great portion of this problem).
I said that the technical part of this course was a PRO, but if you miss the trail and end up in the brush, it will be hard to find you disc and or just get to it. There are sticker bushes, thick brush and trees tress trees on the front portion of this course.
Some (maybe 2 that I remember) of the tee pads have little patched area in them, that at first look worse than they are, but are a little un-leveled (didn't effect my throw).
The majority of the holes are left to right (Anhyzer RHBH) shots which seemed to get old real quick (but was good to make me play shots that I don't normally try).
The back 9 could be crazy if there is any baseball, or soccer games going on, as that may scare the uncontrolled new player like myself.
The only bathroom is in the center of the park (not too close to the disc golf course) but close to #10 basket)
Hole #9 finishes way far away from #1. (I like my courses to allow a quick 9 holes which start and end close to each other) It's a picky con and doesn't really make me dis-like the course, but If you plan to quit early #10's basket is about as close to the parking lot as you will be.
Basket #18 doesn't end very close to #1 either... but considering the park layout and what land they had to work with... it's a good design none the less.
There are no maps or score cards at the beginning... (you can play this course with out it, only a couple places may have you searching, but it should be a quick search.) Print the map off this site before you go. (I will put up a score card soon, when I get one made up)

DON'T LET THESE CONS DETER YOU FROM PLAYING HERE. This course is NEW and is well worth your time.
Other Thoughts: (UPDATED INFO): I met with some the park managers and they are already planning to fix some of my concerns... in particular; Trash cans will soon be added.
Some of the front 9 holes will be cleared for better chance of NOT loosing your disc. This will be in done by volunteers and if you are willing to help please drop me a line and I'll make sure you know when they plan to do so.
Benches were also talked about.
Moving the practice basket to somewhere away from the bushes and houses and out of hole 1's flight path.(Practice basket has been removed, waiting to hear of it's return and placement).
And maybe some bag holders.
They also said that they are trying to buy some property back behind the park, which is where I thought would be the best spot in town for a course... I hope they get get it.

(ORIGINAL REVIEW)
The park is open 5am - 10pm.
There is a practice basket right in front of #1's tee box a little to the left. It is well market "PRACTICE" so you shouldn't confuse it with the #1 basket which is in the trees in plain view.
I would park closer to the entrance to the park away from hole #1 and closer to hole #18 for two reasons, 1> so you have less distance to walk at the end of your round, and 2> so that your car is not in disc range at hole #1.
Bring bug spray, it wasn't too bad but I would have liked to have it.
Long pants are a smart idea if you plan to go into the trees and brush (and I'm sure you will).
Long sleeves and sturdy shoes are a good idea too.
There are houses through the trees on the right of the first 5 or 6 holes so be aware of that before you throw as well.
This is also a very popular walking path and your chances of seeing people and dogs on this path is high. Foot traffic has the right of way as do all other park goers.
Some of the holes are very short but well protected. No ace runs in the trees for sure! ( shot in the trees quite a bit and threw two disc over the fence taking the penalty shots and still shot +3, so the course is forgiving).
You should be able to bring you score down on the last 7 holes. #10 is the only hole that I really think is a true par 4, but I'll take #18 as a par 4 as well due to the length of it. Some of the 3's could be 2's, but that would deter beginners.
Beginners: If you have a little control, and a few shots in your bag... this is not a horrible course, but not the best to start with either. However this course will make you a better and more confident player when you learn here and take you skills to a more open course.
Write your name and number on the bottom of your disc in case you can't find it. Most Disc Golfers will call and return them.
(my son found a blue disc with no name on it. If you can tell me the hole and the disc brand and model) I will gladly return it.

e-mail: ninja-don@hotmail.com

If you have any questions that aren't covered, feel free to e-mail me. I live very close to the course and either know the answer or can find out.

PLAY THIS COURSE!!! IT IS WELL WORTH IT!!!

Oak Harbor disc golf.

1    6/4/2009   6/4/2009
Review By: sillybizz
This review was updated on 6/23/2013
Pros: The baskets, tee pads, and signs are all in brand new condition. The park is well maintained in the open areas. Because of all of the signs and markers the course is very easy to follow and the flow perfectly winds you back to the parking lot, which is about two walmart parking lots combined! The pin placement is clever and makes approach and putt shots more difficult. There is a little creek running through a part of the course that comes in to play on one of the holes. The course switches from a wooded short technical hole to wide open longer holes with some O.B. about half way through. very good usage out of the park for disc golf, good back and forth between hole lengths. I love the warm up basket.
Cons: Well the course is tight in places and follows the foot path which could be a bad thing if people are walking their dogs or taking an afternoon stroll. Also if your disc does not come to rest on the foot path you can almost kiss it goodbye, the bushes are so thick it is almost impossible to find a disc in this stuff. The pin placement is fun but some of the holes are put in the middle of brush piles which add to disc searching. It's a shared park and the open holes throw near a soccer field which could be a problem when busy. Starting at hole thirteen and going to the end of the course the holes become open and boring with many of them being almost the same shot. It would of been nice to have seen some benches at least some where. I was there at seven in the morning and I got eaten alive by mosquitoes, there were a lot of nests, I can't imagine what it's like in the afternoon. Some of the holes are way too short, no matter how technical you make something it's hard not to at least par a hole that's 128 feet, a lot of the time I was throwing my putter for a drive. The open holes are just that, open. Footing is a problem when you are off the foot path, I can see twisting an ankle easily.
Other Thoughts: It is quite beautiful over there even though you can't see anything from the course you could check out the scenic views when you come in across the bridge. I drove from north Everett and it took me an hour, I would rather play Sedro Woolley or Mossy Roc up north for just about the same amount of drive as this but it's a cute little park with a decent amount of variety though there isn't much of a challenge except for two or three holes, there just isn't anything special to drive out of your way for sadly. Hole ten and hole eighteen and par fours which could be changed backed to a par three to make it harder since I got birdie on both of them. I lost a disc on hole number three after searching for what seemed like hours, bring a spotter or a big group when you go, also look out for the neighbors on holes two through four.

1 2 Next >