Newbury, OH
Friends of Punderson DGC Share
Uploaded By: Brall Hole #6 (Taken 9/2012)

Awesome cousre

1    4/16/2013   4/18/2013
Review By: BrianM
Pros: -Big championship style course
-Scorecards provided
-Great hole designs
- Awesome elevation changes hole to hole
-Very large tee pads
-Pars and distances stamped into the tee pads
-A few holes with alternate pins
-Very accurate tee signs
-OB's are clearly defines
-plays pretty well during wet conditions
-Benches and trash cans all over the course
-Very scenic along the lake

Cons: - Some white tee pads were still being worked on but still playable
-Parking lot is kind of small but didn't have any issues
-A few bugs but thats nature

5+    10/28/2012   10/28/2012
Review By: chainwrecker
Pros: -fun and challenging course
-beautiful scenery
-multiple tees/pins
Cons: -better restroom facilities
-more benches
-more trash recepticles
Other Thoughts: Taking into account that this course is a work-in-progress, would like to see some secondary lanes widened and cleared and some greens cut back.
When this course has all its amenities such as restrooms, benches and trash cans in place, and the fairways and white tees are complete, it will be a great disc golfing experience.

An Addicting Challenge!

5+    10/19/2012   10/19/2012
Review By: Menacewarf
This review was updated on 10/21/2012
Pros: This course is a wooded technical romp through beautiful state park grounds complete with mature hardwoods, a pond, multiple tee-pads for each hole, and tournament ready play.

The Reds are themselves rather technical and challenging. With only a sprinkling of gimmie-ish birdies (4,10,11,13,17), the course is primarily made up of great number of tough but fair par 3's which make for solid, feel good, deuces. The layout flows nicely from hole to hole. Three difficult par 4's add some variety.

The Blue layout is par 69 and a fun, fair test for any ambitious golfer. By far the defining type of hole for this layout is a par 4 from 450-600 feet (1,2,3,5,6,10,16). These par 4's twist and wind all different directions and require a good variety of shots off the tee. Many of the holes offer you a chance to match or advance the position you would start at from the Red's (with an extra stroke added to par of course). There is a fair degree of risk reward as many birdies require two great shots, while on the other hand one can assure a par or at worst a bogie by playing more conservatively. This layout also offers some very demanding par 3's and three very legitimate par 5's. The Blue pads here at Punderson are a wicked, yet sweet test of disc golf and makes me glad to visit the area.

Both layouts highlight land which is highly accommodating for disc golf, both in terms of variety and interest, as well as accessibility.
Cons: The Red layout has some virtually un-twoable mini par 4's (but labeled as threes: (7,14,15 short, 18). Also I would say that as the Red layout stands now it is more challenging than a traditional Red layout. The SSE estimate for this layout on this site (46?) does this layout no justice as I would estimate the SSA to be closer to 52 (par 57). I do see this likely softening some over time though so it is not a huge knock for me.

There is still a lot of Poison Ivy on the final four hole loop which to me is the biggest con of the course.
Other Thoughts: As of this review the front (Red), and back (Blue) pads have been poured (no middle pads). Earlier in the summer when playing here only the Red were in so it is great to see some quick progress.

This course has some big walks between holes as well as many long holes depending on the layout you play. Grab a map and watch for the bright green signs so the layout is easy to navigate.

Friends of Punderson

1    10/7/2012   10/10/2012
Review By: Sbartlebaugh
Pros: - Chutes through the trees bending left and right
- not too muddy under wet weather
- multiple tee pads
- can get a variety of lengths with the varied tee pads
- uphill, flat, and downhill holes
- good signs for each hole, distance labeled on tee pad, and signs to next tee, easy to navigate course
- benches every few holes.
Cons: - most holes are tree chutes, could use more variety. (I prefer the tree chutes to short open courses)
Other Thoughts: Course was in good shape even in the rain after a couple of days of rain.

1    7/19/2012   8/8/2012
Review By: trumpetman330
Pros: -Very challenging woods course
-Wide variety of wood landscape
-Hole to Hole navigation was well laid out and easy to follow
Cons: -They're adding 3 new holes as of July 2012 and they were confusing to find the different tee boxes
-Some parts of the woods are too thick; lost a disc in the thicket
-Not very forgiving in some areas with trees and thick, tall grass
-White tees are not paved; Red and Blue are.
-Tripped over many stumps. Need to be trimmed down all the way
Other Thoughts: I was not very fond of this course. Firstly, I would highly not reccomend this course for either a beginner or early intermediate player. The course is primarily if not all woods, and good aim is a must have.
They are attempting to add 3 new holes which is very nice, but as of July 2012 they didn't not have Red, White, and Blue tees on all of the holes.
Also be cautious of the number of stumps that are about 8 inches off the ground; I tripped multiple times.
But overall, if they were to clear out some of the thicket and widen some of the holes, I would go back to play again.

Excellent

5+    6/6/2015   8/2/2012
Review By: Tutkahnkuchacka
This review was updated on 6/19/2015
Pros: -Challenging Course
-Varied shots
-Large Tee Pads
-Free to play
-Pretty clean compared to other local courses
-Large Secluded Course - you don't have to worry about running into picnickers, hikers, or bystanders
Cons: -Needs more parking
-Needs better restroom facility
-Poison Ivy
Other Thoughts: This course is awesome, my favorite.. I'm editing my review because it has been a while, plus I made this account before I was named "Cupcake" and maybe some of you all didn't realize who was writing the review.

I was trying to be honest with the review and need for restrooms and parking and such which we are still waiting on. This is not a boring course.The terrain, trees and water hazards make this course fun to play as well as enjoyable to walk through.

I've seen good/pro players make amazing shots on this course, shots worth remembering.

After playing a lot of local courses this is still my favorite.

Will get 5 Stars once the park puts in some restroom facilities and more parking.

Beautiful but confusing

1    5/20/2012   5/22/2012
Review By: gcoghill
Pros:
beautiful secluded park
friendly locals
some great holes
Cons:
extremely confusing layout
missing tee signs
Other Thoughts: First, what a beautiful park! The course winds near the shores of the lake however there are no water hazard holes. This course seems to be a former 9-holer in the process of being upgraded to 18. There were even guys working on the course while I was playing. Very friendly.

That said, I did find the course to be incredibly confusing at many points. In particular, you run across the tee for 9 on your way to 4; there was also a sign near hole 5 or 6 that talked about some A, B, C hole(s) that I didn't understand. More than a few holes required backtracking to get to the next tee.

A group of other course first-timers expressed the same frustrations and confusion about the layout. Having some tee signs missing only added to the confusion.

Even though the course is in development for the full 18, the layout has been set. Kind of a bummer as there are a lot of really cool holes on this course.

Primarily a wooded/technical course, but not too wooded where you'd be frustrated. I bet the course is especially attractive once the leaves are in bloom.

Being a state park, lots of other amenities in the park including camping, and even a resort. The disc golf course has a porta-potty, but no water.

If you enjoy playing disc golf with nobody else on the course but disc golfers, this dedicated, secluded course is for you.

I'm torn on this review as I really wanted to like the course, but the confusing layout and backtracking on multiple holes had to knock off a disc on the rating. When I did enjoy the course, I really enjoyed it.

True Love of Disc Golf

5+    8/20/2011   10/28/2011
Review By: plattertoss88
This review was updated on 10/30/2011
Pros: Um mm... Beautiful. Loads of pine trees and awesome scenic views of Pine Lake. Course is absolutely stunning form the blue tee's. Reds as well can be a whole lot of fun and quite challenging. Nice and I mean very nice benches and picnic tables through-out whole course. Offers wide variety of holes including elevation and mild water hazards. Very wooded course which can be beneficial in summer because all the shade. Located in very nice state park, very clean course. Fairways are very well kept and just wide enough to be tricky but still fun. Tee boxes are by far my favorite of any course Ive played just freaking huge! Course has a porta-jon in the parking lot. Definitely one of my favorite courses in the area even tho there are only 12 holes.
Cons: Can become pretty muddy after a rain. Mosquitoes can be nasty too. Some tee boxes are tamped gravel instead of concrete. Not the best course for beginner due to the heaviness of the woods, Could still be fun to tag along though and try:) Parking lot isn't to big at all.
Other Thoughts: By far worth checking out at-least once if you love disc golf. They have really put a lot of work into this course and it is truly an amazing one.#1 takes you to a 90 foot wide fairway of grass and bordering pine trees. With a swooping dog-leg right down hill over 460' from the blues. #2 another huge dog-leg right from the blues. In my opinion a true par-4. #3 from blues is one of my favorite. You can take a low ceiling backhand anny. Or go for the more open, pretty, dangerous shot. With the huge hyzer out over the water and pray to make it back through for the easy bird. #4 has two pins. Goes uphill 300 or so for first pin. Then another 160 around some trees guarding a pin on this hillside for second pin. Love this position. Well as you can see course has a lot to offer so I wont go on. I'll just let you go and find out. :)

Punderson State Park

1    9/10/2011   9/14/2011
Review By: rhelt100
Pros: Overall, three things really stuck out for me at this course:

Course Design. This course is really laid out great. I love that there's an isolated practice area and that the course both starts and ends there. The "around the world" bricks at the practice basket were a nice touch as well. The holes themselves are laid out in such a fashion that I had a shot of hitting par on every hole but it took some technical shots to make that happen. Great use of the land throughout the course.

Maintenance. This course obviously has some very dedicated locals that are spending a lot of time making this course great. It is still rough in areas, especially on the new holes, but everyone in my group commented on how well several areas were cleared and the amount of work required to accomplish that.

FUN! This course really was fun to play. To be honest, it kicked my butt though. I shot a 41 for 9 holes, 55 with the three new holes added in. I feel like I'm capable of shooting low 30s but there was such a variety of shots, many of them with little room for error, that I had some tree trouble. Despite this, I really couldn't wait to see what the next hole would look like.
Cons: Under Construction - This course is very much still in the building stage in places. The main course had a few spots that still need some work and the three new holes are quite rough cut. Having said that, I think the rough terrain holes just enhanced the experience for me.

MUD. There was a lot of water present in places. This might not be an issue normally as we did play after an all night rain.
Other Thoughts: What's written above pretty much sums up the course, both pro and con.

The locals are obviously busting their butt to make this course look like it does and they're quite friendly as well. One member of my group lost a disc into the lake on hole #3. We went down to see if we could fish it out and ended up finding four discs before we located his. A few locals showed up while we were attempting to stay dry and retrieve discs and one of them waded right in to save us the trouble. They also walked us to the first of the new holes and explained how to traverse them. They were very helpful and I had to give them some kudos.

I rated this course a 3.0 but I think that once the other nine holes are ready and the course has a few years to beat in, this is going to be one of the best courses in the area. Certainly worth the two hour drive from my house.

Gargantuan, fun word

2-4    8/28/2011   9/1/2011
Review By: Brall
Pros: - Portable bathroom at the parking area year round
- The entrance is marked by a Disc Golf Course sign and there is very nice Kiosk
- The map is high quality and accurate but generally not needed because the paths are so well defined
- Practice basket located by Hole #1
- Three Tees per hole!
- 11 of the Tees are concrete and very large (Gargantuan)! Just fantastic work! All other tees are natural or stone and are kept in good working condition.
- Very nice Tee Signs, one per hole
- There are some signs pointing to the next Tee, but as I said, the paths are so well defined that you really don't need the help.
- The baskets are in great shape and are well labeled
- Even though Hole #1 starts a few hundred feet from the parking area, the entire course flows extremely well and Hole #9 ends at Hole #1.
- You will need a mix of shots to play this course. By the time I had finished I really used every disc in my bag.
- Scenery and Landscape; Gorgeous-Beautiful-Stupendous-Stunning-Amazing. Yeah, all that describes this heavily wooded course. Once inside you feel like you are deep into a Montana wilderness. I spent half my round just looking out into the spectacular forest.
- Upkeep. How do I put this? The upkeep is so good that it literally looks like they sweep the paths! The volunteer work for this course must be off the charts. The paths are marked by sticks and logs to either side and they are well mulched or swept completely clean. All fairways are trimmed and clear.
- The lake not only adds beauty to this course but also adds to the course as a tough obstacle to get around. A great addition and an intelligent use of space.
- You may have very light traffic from some fisherman down along the lake maybe hanging out by Hole #2 but other than that you will only have light traffic from disc golfers
- The overall distance of this course is perfect for rec players and above but I would say that a beginner may be overcome by the technical skills required. There are 3 holes over 400' that are in some tight wooded fairways that twist and turn a bit and that roll up and down steep hills. The elevation is awesome and truly adds to the game play and to my exercise routine. There are some beautiful rolling hills and ravines that you will throw across as well.
- The course is very clean and there are plenty of benches scattered everywhere
Cons: - Long walk from the parking area to reach the practice basket and Hole #1.
- Hole #4 crosses nearly over top of Hole #7's Blue Tee near the picnic table. Be aware of your surroundings when teeing off here.
- Small parking area. I suspect this would be a huge problem for tournaments.
Other Thoughts: - Holy smokes! What a fantastic course and just an honor to be able to get over there and play. Really can't say enough about how much I appreciate all the hard work that went into this course.
- The course is highly challenging. Very long and technical fairways will test you to your max.
- The most challenging hole for me is Hole #1. You have a simple right turn which is also down hill and a little tight, but this hole just tears me up. You do have the option of playing it safe and but the temptation of landing the right turning drive for distance down the hill is simply too tempting (I've not once made the shot correctly).
- My favorite hole is Hole #6. Very beautiful and picturesque. This hole tees off from the blue over small rolling hills on a downward slant over a small ravine 320' to the pin which is somewhat hidden on the left. Hole #3 is my runner-up for my favorite hole. Plays with the lake along the right and heavy woods to the left and a lot of obstacles in between. The safest root just might also be the most dangerous, a high hyzer bomb RHBH out over the water with fingers crossed that you make it back in through the trees to land safely on the fairway. Then you shoot toward a basket that is behind a barrier of trees.
- I do not know much about the rest of the park but it seems monstrous and has cabins to rent, ball golf, playgrounds, pools, skiing trails and beaches. A bit of research and I'm sure you'll find this to be a vacation respite.
- As of 08/28/2011, there was more clearing being done and a sign is up for holes labeled A, B & C. I could see a basket already in place and boards set up to pour another one of those fantastically HUGE concrete Tees.
- There are only 9 holes but it is expanding. Even if it wasn't expanding I would still tell you that this course IS a destination course. You need to get here and see this awesome course winding through this beautiful forest. Make the time, try it out, it's worth the trip.