Newbury, OH
Friends of Punderson DGC Share
Uploaded By: Brall Hole #5 (Taken 9/2012)
3 / 302ft.   3 / 364ft.   4 / 512ft.   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #5 Blue Pad

Beautiful but confusing

1    5/20/2012   5/22/2012
Review By: gcoghill
Pros:
beautiful secluded park
friendly locals
some great holes
Cons:
extremely confusing layout
missing tee signs
Other Thoughts: First, what a beautiful park! The course winds near the shores of the lake however there are no water hazard holes. This course seems to be a former 9-holer in the process of being upgraded to 18. There were even guys working on the course while I was playing. Very friendly.

That said, I did find the course to be incredibly confusing at many points. In particular, you run across the tee for 9 on your way to 4; there was also a sign near hole 5 or 6 that talked about some A, B, C hole(s) that I didn't understand. More than a few holes required backtracking to get to the next tee.

A group of other course first-timers expressed the same frustrations and confusion about the layout. Having some tee signs missing only added to the confusion.

Even though the course is in development for the full 18, the layout has been set. Kind of a bummer as there are a lot of really cool holes on this course.

Primarily a wooded/technical course, but not too wooded where you'd be frustrated. I bet the course is especially attractive once the leaves are in bloom.

Being a state park, lots of other amenities in the park including camping, and even a resort. The disc golf course has a porta-potty, but no water.

If you enjoy playing disc golf with nobody else on the course but disc golfers, this dedicated, secluded course is for you.

I'm torn on this review as I really wanted to like the course, but the confusing layout and backtracking on multiple holes had to knock off a disc on the rating. When I did enjoy the course, I really enjoyed it.

True Love of Disc Golf

5+    8/20/2011   10/28/2011
Review By: plattertoss88
This review was updated on 10/30/2011
Pros: Um mm... Beautiful. Loads of pine trees and awesome scenic views of Pine Lake. Course is absolutely stunning form the blue tee's. Reds as well can be a whole lot of fun and quite challenging. Nice and I mean very nice benches and picnic tables through-out whole course. Offers wide variety of holes including elevation and mild water hazards. Very wooded course which can be beneficial in summer because all the shade. Located in very nice state park, very clean course. Fairways are very well kept and just wide enough to be tricky but still fun. Tee boxes are by far my favorite of any course Ive played just freaking huge! Course has a porta-jon in the parking lot. Definitely one of my favorite courses in the area even tho there are only 12 holes.
Cons: Can become pretty muddy after a rain. Mosquitoes can be nasty too. Some tee boxes are tamped gravel instead of concrete. Not the best course for beginner due to the heaviness of the woods, Could still be fun to tag along though and try:) Parking lot isn't to big at all.
Other Thoughts: By far worth checking out at-least once if you love disc golf. They have really put a lot of work into this course and it is truly an amazing one.#1 takes you to a 90 foot wide fairway of grass and bordering pine trees. With a swooping dog-leg right down hill over 460' from the blues. #2 another huge dog-leg right from the blues. In my opinion a true par-4. #3 from blues is one of my favorite. You can take a low ceiling backhand anny. Or go for the more open, pretty, dangerous shot. With the huge hyzer out over the water and pray to make it back through for the easy bird. #4 has two pins. Goes uphill 300 or so for first pin. Then another 160 around some trees guarding a pin on this hillside for second pin. Love this position. Well as you can see course has a lot to offer so I wont go on. I'll just let you go and find out. :)

Punderson State Park

1    9/10/2011   9/14/2011
Review By: rhelt100
Pros: Overall, three things really stuck out for me at this course:

Course Design. This course is really laid out great. I love that there's an isolated practice area and that the course both starts and ends there. The "around the world" bricks at the practice basket were a nice touch as well. The holes themselves are laid out in such a fashion that I had a shot of hitting par on every hole but it took some technical shots to make that happen. Great use of the land throughout the course.

Maintenance. This course obviously has some very dedicated locals that are spending a lot of time making this course great. It is still rough in areas, especially on the new holes, but everyone in my group commented on how well several areas were cleared and the amount of work required to accomplish that.

FUN! This course really was fun to play. To be honest, it kicked my butt though. I shot a 41 for 9 holes, 55 with the three new holes added in. I feel like I'm capable of shooting low 30s but there was such a variety of shots, many of them with little room for error, that I had some tree trouble. Despite this, I really couldn't wait to see what the next hole would look like.
Cons: Under Construction - This course is very much still in the building stage in places. The main course had a few spots that still need some work and the three new holes are quite rough cut. Having said that, I think the rough terrain holes just enhanced the experience for me.

MUD. There was a lot of water present in places. This might not be an issue normally as we did play after an all night rain.
Other Thoughts: What's written above pretty much sums up the course, both pro and con.

The locals are obviously busting their butt to make this course look like it does and they're quite friendly as well. One member of my group lost a disc into the lake on hole #3. We went down to see if we could fish it out and ended up finding four discs before we located his. A few locals showed up while we were attempting to stay dry and retrieve discs and one of them waded right in to save us the trouble. They also walked us to the first of the new holes and explained how to traverse them. They were very helpful and I had to give them some kudos.

I rated this course a 3.0 but I think that once the other nine holes are ready and the course has a few years to beat in, this is going to be one of the best courses in the area. Certainly worth the two hour drive from my house.

Gargantuan, fun word

2-4    8/28/2011   9/1/2011
Review By: Brall
Pros: - Portable bathroom at the parking area year round
- The entrance is marked by a Disc Golf Course sign and there is very nice Kiosk
- The map is high quality and accurate but generally not needed because the paths are so well defined
- Practice basket located by Hole #1
- Three Tees per hole!
- 11 of the Tees are concrete and very large (Gargantuan)! Just fantastic work! All other tees are natural or stone and are kept in good working condition.
- Very nice Tee Signs, one per hole
- There are some signs pointing to the next Tee, but as I said, the paths are so well defined that you really don't need the help.
- The baskets are in great shape and are well labeled
- Even though Hole #1 starts a few hundred feet from the parking area, the entire course flows extremely well and Hole #9 ends at Hole #1.
- You will need a mix of shots to play this course. By the time I had finished I really used every disc in my bag.
- Scenery and Landscape; Gorgeous-Beautiful-Stupendous-Stunning-Amazing. Yeah, all that describes this heavily wooded course. Once inside you feel like you are deep into a Montana wilderness. I spent half my round just looking out into the spectacular forest.
- Upkeep. How do I put this? The upkeep is so good that it literally looks like they sweep the paths! The volunteer work for this course must be off the charts. The paths are marked by sticks and logs to either side and they are well mulched or swept completely clean. All fairways are trimmed and clear.
- The lake not only adds beauty to this course but also adds to the course as a tough obstacle to get around. A great addition and an intelligent use of space.
- You may have very light traffic from some fisherman down along the lake maybe hanging out by Hole #2 but other than that you will only have light traffic from disc golfers
- The overall distance of this course is perfect for rec players and above but I would say that a beginner may be overcome by the technical skills required. There are 3 holes over 400' that are in some tight wooded fairways that twist and turn a bit and that roll up and down steep hills. The elevation is awesome and truly adds to the game play and to my exercise routine. There are some beautiful rolling hills and ravines that you will throw across as well.
- The course is very clean and there are plenty of benches scattered everywhere
Cons: - Long walk from the parking area to reach the practice basket and Hole #1.
- Hole #4 crosses nearly over top of Hole #7's Blue Tee near the picnic table. Be aware of your surroundings when teeing off here.
- Small parking area. I suspect this would be a huge problem for tournaments.
Other Thoughts: - Holy smokes! What a fantastic course and just an honor to be able to get over there and play. Really can't say enough about how much I appreciate all the hard work that went into this course.
- The course is highly challenging. Very long and technical fairways will test you to your max.
- The most challenging hole for me is Hole #1. You have a simple right turn which is also down hill and a little tight, but this hole just tears me up. You do have the option of playing it safe and but the temptation of landing the right turning drive for distance down the hill is simply too tempting (I've not once made the shot correctly).
- My favorite hole is Hole #6. Very beautiful and picturesque. This hole tees off from the blue over small rolling hills on a downward slant over a small ravine 320' to the pin which is somewhat hidden on the left. Hole #3 is my runner-up for my favorite hole. Plays with the lake along the right and heavy woods to the left and a lot of obstacles in between. The safest root just might also be the most dangerous, a high hyzer bomb RHBH out over the water with fingers crossed that you make it back in through the trees to land safely on the fairway. Then you shoot toward a basket that is behind a barrier of trees.
- I do not know much about the rest of the park but it seems monstrous and has cabins to rent, ball golf, playgrounds, pools, skiing trails and beaches. A bit of research and I'm sure you'll find this to be a vacation respite.
- As of 08/28/2011, there was more clearing being done and a sign is up for holes labeled A, B & C. I could see a basket already in place and boards set up to pour another one of those fantastically HUGE concrete Tees.
- There are only 9 holes but it is expanding. Even if it wasn't expanding I would still tell you that this course IS a destination course. You need to get here and see this awesome course winding through this beautiful forest. Make the time, try it out, it's worth the trip.

Woods, Woods, Woods!

1    8/6/2010   8/20/2010
Review By: JoseCafe704
This review was updated on 9/17/2010
Pros: Three tees at each hole with holes 4 and 6 having two baskets, making it so you can play through 9 twice and not have to play the same baskets on these holes your second time through. I could tell that there are a lot of dedicated people involved with the implementation and maintenance of the course. Hole 1 is extremely fun and almost completely downhill.
Cons: The course being relatively new, the evidence of such was all over. Downed trees with exposed stumps all over fairways, piles of wood from clearing the course stacked near tees and along fairways. I imagine this course will stay pretty muddy in the spring time for years to come. The tees were a bit rudimentary, with short "t-posts" set on either side of the natural tee area with a color spray painted on the top indicating tee. I understand that with three tees at every hole, the time and money needed to establish tee pads could be quite monumental though. There's a lack of variety, with nearly every fairway in tight wooded areas, leaving the player with no real opportunity to have that all out drive from the tee that I think every course should have at least once.
Other Thoughts: I'm sure that there's still a lot of improvements in the future for this course, and I look forward to one day playing Punderson again!

A well designed, growing course

2-4    8/9/2010   8/10/2010
Review By: Conect11
This review was updated on 6/14/2011
Pros: Three tees per hole
Course seems to be expanding, looks like some new holes were installed. (found a hole 12, but no tee, nor 10 or 11)
Professional and easy to read tee signs at each hole
While deep in the woods there was very little underbrush and we never felt like our discs would get lost. (I'm sure it's very possible, especially with the lake right next to hole 2)
Some clever basket placement. Hole 6 plays like hole 17 of Deis Hill Park, but without the huge dropoff if you miss.
A practice basket to warm up, and a basket for a game of Around the World are available.
It's in beautiful Punderson State Park.
Cons: The tees are natural, not concrete. Some are only marked with an iron pike in the ground. If you're not paying attention it's not difficult to miss a tee. given the designer's continued effort with this course, I'm sure that tees are in the near future.
Other Thoughts: It's been a few years since I had been to PSP, and this was my first time playing disc golf here. Because we got to the park around twighlight the course had sort of a surreal "Blair Witch" vibe going on, plus the sky was gloomy. This made the woods somewhat gloomy, and seeing a busted up 1940's era vehicle in the middle of the woods on hole 5 added to the ambiance. (We also saw a herd of cattle about 300 feet from hole 3, apparently still on park property! It was funny, we saw a lone black cow at first, the rest were obscured by a tree. My friend Alex thought it was a bear and nearly took off... priceless!) The course is well thought out, and appears to be evolving as more holes seem to be forthcoming. (we found a hole 12, though the map indicates 9 holes and we didn't find a 10 or 11, may have been us though.) Hole 1 (red) plays off the side of a hill, (I had wondered earlier in the week if there were any sloped tees out there, every one I've thrown off of before had been on flat ground.) Punderson Lake hugs holes 2 & 3, so be careful that you don't lose your disc to it. Hole 3 from red is extremely short, in the range of 175', but the tee is very well placed behind some young trees, making the shot a challenge to figure out. Your best bet here might be a tomahawk / roller. Hole 6 plays through two stately rows of trees, much like hole 17, "King's Row" of Deis Hill Park in Dover, Ohio, but much narrower. I managed to get a Roadrunner through, though that was much more a case of being blessed to have the good shot than any kind of skill on my part. Let's just say that I was thanking God to not hit any trees! Tee 8 was a tad difficult to find, though that might be more our fault as each tee sign has directions to get to the next tee. That said, all of the tees are natural, and are marked usually by a pole sticking out of the ground, or a small brick embedded in the ground. (sometimes both.) If you're not paying attention you might easily miss them. We played all the red (beginner or amateur) tees, and for the first time considered that maybe we should play intermediate. Some of holes did seem a bit close, though maybe that's a good thing. Perhaps the group I play with isn't as green as we used to be? (probably not, but it's a nice thought.)

better then expected

1    5/21/2010   5/21/2010
Review By: TommyGun'n
This review was updated on 5/23/2010
Pros: -great tee signs (see photos)
-3 different tees for each hole
-great shiny new baskets
-good flow, mainly just following a old beat in trail the whole time
-practice basket with interesting putting game involving stone markers
-fairways have no brush on them making it relatively easy to find your disc (unless you throw it in the water on hole 2, RIP Crush)
-lots of shots around and between trees (accuracy is a must)
-benches along the paths
-nice park with natural surroundings
Cons: -only 9 holes
-no open bomb holes
-short tees are very short with little changes in distance
-poison ivy
-gets dark on fairways as most of the course is under heavy canopy
-in the middle of nowhere
-little to no elevation changes
-natural tee pads
-muddyyyy
-no difficult putting situations (all greens are flat and open)
-no bathrooms (maybe an outhouse somewhere)
-no playground or place for the kids/family

Other Thoughts: this is a very tight and technical course, if you don't like short right and left turns then you probably don't want to waste your time with it being only 9 holes.

i couldn't put this as a con because i understand the reasoning behind it, but having two pins on hole 4 is a waste. why not keep the long pin position and use the other basket for another hole on the course? 10 or 11 holes are better than 9! You could play an extra hole from the parking lot to the practice basket. why not make that hole one? this would remove the walk from the parking lot to tee 1 and this hole would have a open feel compared to the rest of the course.

I just want more holes here!

i did enjoy this course and would like to play from the blue and white tees as from the reds i could use my putter a lot of the time.

the discers here have done a great job clearing and stacking wood to outline the fairways.

If this course was 18 holes this would be a course i make it to a lot.

Great course!

5+    4/2/2010   4/17/2010
Review By: Awesomedude
Pros: -- A fun course
-- Difficult, but not impossible
-- Nice view of lake
-- Good tee types
-- Well labeled
-- Great scenery
-- Good for practicing accuracy
-- Warm-up putting area
-- Right at the front of Punderson
Cons: -- Can get a bit muddy when it rains a lot
-- Poison ivy in the rough
-- Some narrow holes
Other Thoughts: We just stumbled on this course, and loved it! It's super fun. I think the guys that created the course have been there each time we've gone. The course has improved considerably since it started. It's now much better labeled, and they're putting in another 9 holes. There's a scrimmage each Saturday at 2p to have fun and help raise money. We've also bought a few discs from them to help out. Accuracy is key for this course. Our favorite hole is #5.

Solid Young Course

5+    12/5/2009   12/5/2009
Review By: trainhawk2468
Pros: Brand New Genuine Mach3 Baskets
Brand New Tee Signs w/full color hole maps
All holes have Red, White and Blue Tees
Fairways have all been cleared
Many holes have their fringe cleared
Awesome scenery overlooking Pine Lake
Interesting elevation changes
Course design very well laid out
Continual course improvements
Adequate nearby parking
Porta-potty located near parking lot
Cons: Presently only 9 holes
Natural Tee pads
Some minor tripping hazzards
Some muddy areas
Other Thoughts: Thanks for the honest reviews. The course continues to develope and get better. At the time of the review from StrikerME02 the course was only 50 DAYS OLD, literally. He was very right about many things. The course layout was very vague and the tee signs were blank while the maps were developed. Many holes were only roughed in with little clearing done. This has all changed. Full color Tee sign maps are now present for all holes. All of the fairways have been cleared and even opened up more since sean-arch's review. Concrete Tee pads are in the works, but this is in leu of funding from sponsorship, of which we are aggressively searching for. The course can get muddy in places, but we are identifying all of these areas needing love and getting them taken care of. Of course winter will slow these efforts so be patient.
Poison Ivy. Yes it is abundant, but we have done our best to eliminate it from all fairways and many fringe areas. It has lived here for a hundred years unchecked, so it won't go away tomorrow. We are dedicated to making the experience here as Poison Ivy free as possible.
The course is fairly technical, meaning you need to consider your risk vs reward with every shot. You need to be on the fairway or the immediate fringe. If not, you will pay the price. This can irritate some, but it is part of becoming a better disc golfer.
We have already had one successful tournament and have our Ice Bowl coming up. We have a weekly beginner friendly event every Saturday at 2pm.
Check our events listings or the website (www.friendsofpunderson.com ) for information. Come have fun with us!!

Waste of Time (This review was from when the course was just starting out)

1    7/21/2009   7/26/2009
Review By: StrikerME02
This review was updated on 5/31/2010
Pros: As far as pros for this course go, there are not many. One thing I did appreciate about this course is since it is brand new so were the baskets. They were nice and shiny silver and caught discs very well. I didn't look to closely, but I am assuming they were some kind of Mach basket. Also this course did have a practice basket in the same great condition as the others if you get bored with the course which I quickly did and wanted to play a putting game. It evens has an idea for a putting game attached to the basket, but it was a pretty basic game. Another nice thing is that this course is right next to a lodge that I stayed at. The lodge is called Punderson Manor and is out in the wilderness right by this course. The course is about 2 miles from the lodge, but very easy to drive or walk to if you are wanting to get in some more cardiovascular excercise. It is only nine holes you have to suffer through.
Cons: In most cases when I come to a course I try to see the positives in everything. I did try to give as many pros as I could think of above, but there just weren't that many. I really dont understand how the only other review on here gave this course a 3 because it NEEDS ALOT OF WORK. Ok here we go.......I have heard this course is relatively new, but it's not that new. What I mean by this is that it has been open for a while, but the park shows no hurry in getting teepads installed. When I played the tees were just marked by stakes sticking in the ground with blank signs by them that I am assuming are waiting and waiting to get hole info on them. Without concrete tees or any kind of tees for that matter it is very easy to slip and does not make for a good time playing. When I played this course it was very muddy. Next, I dont mind tight fairways and in truth I like them sometimes because it makes for a fun challenge, but this course just ruined my round and I didn't have any fun. Not because I played bad or anything, but because the LAYOUT IS HORRIBLE. For example you start at a muddy tee marked by stakes and you can't see the basket or have any idea of where it is because the signs are blank. So what do you do to fin the basket you start walking and you keep walking and walking and walking until you finally find the basket, but you don't think it is the right one because it is so far. It was like this for the very first two holesand the second one had to be at least 700ft with tight fairways , trees in the fairways, and poison ivy all over the place. It is one thing to have some poison ivy here and there most wooded courses do, but this course is home to the most poison ivy I have seen in a long time. My word of advice if you want to play this course is you better hit the fairways or if you go to get your disc your going to be itching big time, so wash yourself as soon asap afterwards. Also on certain holes it was hard to figure out exactly were the tee was because stakes do not stick in the ground for ever. You need to have very good instinct navigating a disc golf course or it will not be fun finding the next hole. When I first heard about this course it was very tough finding it, there were no signs marking out were the course was anywhere and the workers there didn't even no where it was. That really shows that they aren't working hard to put tees or anything in. The only reason I eventually found it was because I hiked into the woods and finally spotted the practice basket. I can tell that when this course was being layed out the area did not seek the help of a local professional because it is just layed out really bad, and I do not think this course will be much fun for just players that are out to have a good time and not addicted to DG.
Other Thoughts: I really don't recommend wasting your time at this course unless you are staying at the lodge I mention earlier, but even then I think you would rather travel to another course around the area or just hang out in the outdoor pool than play this course. I am extremely addicted to DG and I couldn't wait to finish this course because I couldn't believe how horribly it was planned. However, if you do plan on playing this course bring plenty of bugspray because I forgot to mention the mosquitos are pretty bad. This course could and should be alot better than it i. With all the space the park has I am suprised they didn't builed it elsewhere, and instead decided to make in nie holes all through the woods. However, if you are around the area the lodge was very nice it's too bad the DG course didn't follow suit.