Rosemount, MN
Brockway Park Share
Uploaded By: bigbeano Hole #1 (Taken 5/2012)

Short but technical

5+    8/13/2015   8/13/2015
Review By: LeftyHukin
Pros: As a lefty I really enjoy playing this course design. It does have a couple too many lefty friendly lines currently (some by design some by overgrowth limiting the RHBH line), but overall does play fair to both sides. This is a course to really play around with different shots. Due to the pin placements in correlation to surrounding trees there are a variety of different lines you can take on many of the holes. Whether it be a hyzer, anhyzer, or right up the gut. There is also a good range of distance between the holes, ranging from as short as a near blind 135ft shot where you can only see the top of the basket and have to navigate 2 trees that hang over the fairway/green up to over 600ft where you have to have a 400-500 foot power hyzer for a RHBH to clear all the trees in the middle of the fairway. If you are looking for a difficult tournament level course then I would say not to bother, but if you are looking for a very mello round, or to work on different shots this is the place for you.

There are only 9 baskets, but there are 2 tees for each and they are numbered 1-18. Otherwise the hole markers do have a red or blue band on them, so you can play from the blues only or the reds. The red tees are generally much shorter and easier for beginners while the blues are more for intermediate players.

The flow of the course is very easy to follow as the next tees are very close to the prior baskets. And as for the different tees, blue are just longer versions of the hole, so if you want to play from the blue, but find the red, then just look behind you and for the most part it will be between 20-100 feet behind.

The course itself is maintained fairly well. Fairways are groomed nicely and I rarely find fallen branches unless I am going out right after a storm. But beware the rough. The fairways are very forgiving and pretty wide, even for beginners, but if you grip lock, or try to crank one and it doesn't fight back you will end up in heavy thickets and tall grass, which gives the course a slight challenge.

There is a map of the course at the parking lot, so take a picture if it is your first time, but you really shouldn't need it. There is a porta potty at the parking lot as well.

I have heard from others that the course can get pretty busy at times, but I played there 10+ times last year and 6-8 times this year and have never seen more than 4-5 other people. I mostly feel like I have the course to myself, so I tend to toss a few discs to try different lines or work different shots.

The baskets are very nice. Not missing any chains and not leaning to one side or the other like other course I play at.
Cons: The majority of the tee pads are dirt, so after rain it can get very sloppy and as the season wears on the pads can get kind of lumpy or uneven.

The thickets and branches from trees have been really hanging over the fairways this year, especially on hole 6. I noticed in the pictures the left side of 6's fairway looks like just some tall grass, which is much different as now 10-15 foot thickets and trees block and grow into the fairway, while the right side is still protected but very tall hanging trees. Makes it a very lefty friendly tee shot, but if you throw it low as a lefty or grip lock it even a little you will be in the woods or into hole 7/16's fairway.

Not being able to use the large hill behind the tee pads for 8/17. I still go up there from time to time, but the land is not part of the course.
Other Thoughts: There is a hill behind the tee pads for holes 8/17 which would have been an amazing hole, but from what I have heard, they did not own that portion of the land, thus missing out on what could have been a very unique and memorable downhill shot that you would have to slight shape from left to right.

The other locals are very friendly; in fact if you are looking for a disc in the tall grass more often than not they will stop and help you look. I also don't get many throwing into people down the fairway. I t can happen from time to time since on a few holes the short tees are out of sight from the long tees, so if you are playing the short tees, make sure to take a quick peek to see if anyone is on the other pad (Hole 1/10 and 6/15 are the only ones I can think of).

Solid South Metro Course

2-4    5/2/2015   5/9/2015
Review By: stinkins
Pros: Lots of elevation changes
2 tees to 9 holes so you can play 18
Lots of variation on the holes (<200 ft to 600+ ft)
Concrete/brick tee pads on some tees
Cons: Not all the tee pads are concreted
The dirt tee pads tend to be beaten up

Another Fun S Metro Course

1    7/20/2014   7/21/2014
Review By: mndiscg
Pros: +18 tees to 9 baskets. The tees are different enough from each other that they do make 18 different holes.
+Nice baskets
+Tees are labeled with hole number. If you play in order, you get shorts and longs mixed together but you do have the opportunity to choose which hole you want to play so you could play all longs or all shorts.
+Course looks well maintained. It is mowed well and there is mulch near some baskets.
+Decent parking and a porta-potty near the first tee.
+Friendly locals let me play through a few times.
+Fun elevation on most holes.
+Great distance variation, especially if you play all 18 holes. Some holes are easy ace and deuce runs while others you may struggle to get a 3.
+Fun for many levels of players. Not overwhelming to new players and not too easy for veterans.
+Layout is easy to follow.
+Shouldn't lose a disc here. Underbrush isn't too thick.
Cons: -Can be crowded on the evenings and weekends.
-Dirt tees
-Erosion happening near some baskets and tees. Mulch has been laid down to help this.
-On the shorter side, definitely not a championship course.
Other Thoughts: +This course is a lot of fun. It is similar to other nearby parks including Red Oak and Alimagnet. It is worth a stop, avoid evenings and weekends.
+This course has a high fun factor for me. I wouldn't hesitate to return here.

Nice Neighborhood Course

5+    5/10/2014   5/14/2014
Review By: tonyroberts
-- Nice 9-hole, neighborhood course in a small city park with good variety and a little bit of elevation change.
-- Challenging holes protected by mature trees and rough areas.
-- Two sets of tees (mostly dirt) on every hole. The two tees are offset enough on most holes to require a different (not just longer) approach to the hole.
-- Five brick teepads have been added in the last 2 years. Generally speaking, the remaining dirt pads are level and stable.
-- Easy to navigate. No trouble finding next tee.
-- Hole numbers are arranged so you play short-long, short-long if you want to go around twice for 18 holes. Or you can play shorts only (odd-numbered tees) or longs (even-numbered tees) only.
-- Fairways are well mowed.
-- Portable toilet on site Spring-Fall.
-- Picnic tables near parking lot.
-- Not a lot of long holes. Only 5 holes exceed 300 feet.
-- Dirt teepads are sometimes muddy after a rain.
-- Teepads don't get shoveled, so winter golf here is a challenge.
-- Rough areas are either wooded or tall grass. Keep your eye on wayward discs.
-- I live near this course, play here often, and don't tire of the layout. I usually find it busy -- but not overcrowded -- on evenings and weekends. Early mornings, I have the place all to myself.

5+    8/3/2012   7/31/2012
Review By: diggs11pond
This review was updated on 8/10/2012
Pros: Even thought this is a dual tee nine hole course, the amount of different shots needed to score well is impressive. It has long holes to satisfy any distance drivers and average length technical holes for the shot shapers. The park is well kept and plays quickly.
Cons: It would be nice to see better signage. Tee pads would be great too. I think Fly18 would be perfect for this course.
Other Thoughts: A really great course. Fun to play and I would love to have as my home course...

Short, Fun, Challenging

5+    7/23/2012   3/9/2012
Review By: discgolfman10
This review was updated on 7/24/2012
Pros: This is my home course, and I play here a lot. It may be short, but some of the holes have some challenging situations. It has a good layout, and holes that range from 135'-645'. It has 9 holes, but there are short and long tees on each hole so it is 18 hole compatible. The next tee is not hard to find even if it is your first time playing the course.
Cons: The course itself is usually well kept up, and I help out with that too. In other reviews, there are complaints about the dirt tee-pads, but we will be putting in better tee pads in soon this year. We also recently got new signs, which improved the course as well. Also there is sometimes litter on the course, but thats because some people don't now how to use trash cans.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I think this course is great, and it is where i learned to play disc golf. There are nice elevation changes, and the woods are not too thick. You will want to come back soon when the new tee-pads are in, and better tee-signs are up. All-in-all an easy, yet challenging, great course.

5+    9/28/2011   9/29/2011
Review By: bigbeano
This review was updated on 6/11/2013
Pros: -Shots of all types are required here, both short and long.
-Navigation was fairly uncomplicated between the holes here as the flow from hole-to-hole made sense (the worn path between the holes helps too)
-Dual tee pads for each hole makes this about as close to 18 holes as it can be considering you're playing the same piece of land. Normally I would not say that, but many of the long tee pads significantly change the hole from the short tee pads.
-Simple, no nonsense signs that would be hard to vandalize
-These were some of the better natural tee pads I've seen; usually I'm quite turned off by them but these were in pretty good shape. They weren't as nice as concrete ones would have been, but the natural pads did not detract at all from the course.
Cons: -It's just a disc golf course, there is nothing else here. This could also be a positive depending on your outlook however.
-Tee pads are natural, and it doesn't appear as though concrete pads are in the future.
-The signage could provide a brief outlay of the hole, as I did shape a shot incorrectly for one hole because I didn't know where the basket was. That being said, I had a printed map with me I could've just been marginally less lazy and actually used it. I know some people really appreciate the hole outlay however.
-There is some pretty thick underbrush in areas that could be easy to lose a disc in. I did notice some thorny brush as well, but it wasn't a problem avoiding it as long as you are paying attention to where you're walking.
Other Thoughts: All in all, this is a very nice course. I'm torn between a 3.5 and a 4.0 rating, but I'll go with a 4.0 for several reasons. First, I'll compare to other courses like it (ie: free, 9-hole rec/intermediate type courses). It compares very favorably to the vast majority of other freebie courses like it in that there is more variety and especially more distance (from the long tees). This course reminds me of Oakwood Park in Cottage Grove in many ways; although there is one thing about Brockway that makes me like it a lot more... there was not an issue with littering here at all. Second, the course provides a lot of different challenges, looks, and lengths for technically being a 9-hole course. Again, the long tees provide a very different experience from the short tees, but I suppose it technically still is a 9-hole course. Anyway, I was impressed with the amount of variety over the 9 holes. There are elevation changes throughout, none of them being too extreme, but they are present. This is a course that you could come to and get in a fairly quick 9 hole round, or you could play the course 2+ times and split between the long and short tees and be perfectly satisfied with it. After having thrown a round here, I'm a little disappointed that I didn't make the time to come here sooner. Brockway is a very pleasant course that you should definitely make the time to come visit. It'd be a great warm-up for a course like Kaposia, Blue Ribbon, or even The Valley or it can hold its own as a destination course for day of disc golf.

EDIT 6/11/13: Paver teepads are starting to be put in place on the course. I believe three different holes had paver tee pads and some landscaping added. The paver tee pads are very nice and long and will be an excellent addition to the course.

Wonderful 9 Holer With Dual Tees Makes For 18!

1    7/12/2011   7/20/2011
Pros: This is a wonderfully designed course set on a great piece of gently rolling terrain. I liked everything about it. You start out with a nice large green course sign and map. There is a porta-potti at the start. There are two natural pads for each hole. I was impressed by how flat and level they were but I can see the concern about them in rainy or snowy weather. The board at the front of the tee is some kind of composite material, kind of like the decking material. I loved these type of signs. I think they are the best. Just a simple 6" X 6" pole sticking out of the ground 18 inches with a thick fiberglass piece covering a simple little sign giving the hole # and distance. They're extremely unlikely to get vandalized and fairly easy to replace or repair if the teens are really motivated to do their thing.

I really thought # 3 was a beautiful golf hole, 220' from the shorts, sloping downhill fairway to a basket just peeking out. # 7 is a 745' bomb from the blues (longs) and 410' from the reds or shorts.
Cons: # 8 is a short is little throw through the trees. The blue tee is over on the right but there is a worn path going up the steep hill right behind the red tee. Move the blue/long tee up here and make this maybe the signature hole on this course. UPDATE: I have been informed that this little hill is outside the park's boundaries and that is the reason it wasn't selected as Blue # 8. Makes all the sense in the world to me. This course designer is way to good to miss such an opportunity. Continue to play up the up the hill # 8 as kind of an outlaw hole for as long as you can guys. Might be years before that piece of land is actually developed!
Other Thoughts: Personally, for myself, I'd give this course a 4.5 for design, enjoyment, terrain, ameneties, etc. Buy the hill for # 8 and I'd give it a 5 rating. But I know it's a just a fun intermediate course at it's best and I'll try not and get all excited and wet myself. So I'll give it a more pedistrian like score of a 4. I know there are those players who would want more of a course than me, a recreational senior type player. They'd want more distance, more challenge. What's that name for them? I'm searching for it. Oh yeah, we call them advanced players, or serious or gung-ho or 20 year olds or big armed or pros. This course might not be BIG enough for them. But it's a great little rec course with a great design. Well done, Mr. Kennedy!

Great Quiet Course

2-4    6/8/2010   6/8/2010
Review By: jaboc83
Pros: -Nice variety and challenge in elevation changes
-Hard to lose a disc
-Not busy when we went
Cons: - Dirt tee boxes are super slippery when wet (Partner went down twice)
- Signs are inconsistent, some have distance some don't
Other Thoughts: I really love this course as a beginner. Fairways are really wide open which is nice and you really get a chance to air it out on some of the holes (600+ ft on one of them). The second tee boxes really do play like a different hole which is nice ass well. A nice quiet course while we were there. Maybe 3 other groups

18 holer at heart!

1    12/19/2009   12/19/2009
Pros: 1) Course is very well designed and though out. It uses the property to its full capacity. The only thing I would have liked is to see a basket down in one of those pits on the first hole. Not sire if those fill with water in the rainy season, but it would be a cool placement to set one down in that low spot.

2) Short tees were shoveled off in winter. (long tees were not).

3) Dual tees truly do create 18 different holes. Most of them have a totally different angle to play, and different obstacles to avoid. There really are only a couple that are simply in a straight line (like #2, but it is an additional 175' . . . and #7 which is an additional 235' which basically simply gets the forward tee even with the mando). Normally I would say 2 tees on a 9 hole course does not make an 18 holer, but this is as good of a representation of the design concept. Granted the back 9 will play much much easier because it is the forward tees and a massive footage difference (1020' shorter)

4) 4x4 or plank in the groundat the front of each tee. This is always a good idea because it generally will keep soil from moving out of the front of the tee as well as creating a front line for a natural tee . . . so you can call footfault on your buddy all day long.

5) Very nice variety in topography. This is a very gentle sloping rolling terrain. It is set almost in the middle of a bowl and there are rolling hills all around that middle section of the course. The design took all of those contours into consideration and whoever did the design did a great job in incorporating that into the mix.

6) Nice DGA baskets with number plates . . . it is always nice to see them installed correctly with the plate facing the tee too. It can save on a lot of confusion with difficult to find baskets!
Cons: 1) Stock DGA signs missing lots of info/diagrahms. I like those signs for how standard they are, but they need more info than just a distance. Not sure if they were finished yet, perhaps that is a later step since the course is new this year. I will not consider this a negative in terms of the disc rating, but I wanted to list it in case they never get changed. I will edit this when I see proof they have improved.

2) Course was under 6 inches of snow, but i was able to see all sorts of compaction issues, thin turf on some of the mounds where the snow had blown off, erosion around many of the tees. Those are real negatives, not sure when the course was originally installed, but if this layout has only been in the ground for 1 year, it will continue to get worse. Some maintenance is needed to get things back to par (oh wait what is par) . . . er should I say square one instead of par.

3) Dirt tees would leave a lot to be desired if played in a wet season. In winter though when shoveled they are actually not bad at all, although they aren't all that level in some spots.

4) The effort was there by people putting plastic garbage bags out there, but I doubt many people (probably only the locals who end up taking those bags off the course) will take the time to put their cans and such in the bag. It was an effort but the bag even looks bad tied around the teesign. Pack it in pack it out is still a better policy, but I do give them credit for taking the time to even put the bags out there.

5) A few area on the course do have some wild rose and other unwanted underbrush, but at least they don't have buckthorn in play anywhere.

6) WARNING: Seasonal con only. Long tees were not shoveled clear of snow. Short tees were however. I cannot knock the course rating down for this because it is all volunteer labor, but I would have loved to have the same shoveled spot on the long tees as the short tees. No biggie just worth mentioning to those playing in winter.
Other Thoughts: Again another solid 9 holer . . . but this one plays like an 18 hole course. I had to play both tees because I could tell from the layout map that the tee greatly changed the hole shape and thus shot selection. This type of concept could go a long way in furthering effective and efficient disc golf design. It requires way less land than an 18 hole course, less overhead initially because you only need 9 baskets, main tee signs could be on one set of tees and a simple post like they use here on the other tee with just a distance and hole #.

This is listed as a 2009 course but I think it had been there for a long time as the Brockway block course. Not sure if the course was redesigned or anything, but it certainly seems to have had some use. I couldn't tell how bad the turf and fairways were because of the snow but I did see signs of compaction and erosion. When dirt is sprayed all over the snow in spots you know there is an issue. Short tees were shoveled and dirt was visible underneath also, not sure if this was by design or just from use over the years. I just cant imagine a course intentionally starting with dirt tees or if at one point there was grass on them!

Good course, good forward and outside of the box thinking. It makes efficient use of the land while providing you with 18 very unique holes. No two are the same here, and there is great variety in distances and shot selection. the rolling terrain and well placed trees (or should I say well placed baskets around the existing trees). I had a good time and was glad I had time to get here to end my saturday run of 5 courses.

WARNING: Please keep in mind I cannot see everything about this course with 6 inches of snow on the ground. If something is amiss with my reviews please let me know. I think my analysis is accurate on everything I see, but if the turf issues, erosion, tees, and such which are not visible now are really really bad please let me know and I will adjust accordingly, but I feel like it feels like a solid 3 disc rated course. I will adjust my rating if I am able to return in season and I see differently.