McKinney, TX
3 / 206ft.   3 / 288ft.   3 / 206ft.   3 / 288ft. Par / Distance:

At First Glance

1    1/18/2010   1/19/2010
Review By: McLeod
Pros: +Easy to find the course, excellent parking, and restrooms
+Hole 1 was easy to find
+Tee Boxes are what I would consider near perfect in design. Plenty long and very wide towards the back
+Course was easy to navigate.
+Lot's of well placed trees. Short shots become challenging when you stray off the fairway
+Water hazards to make risk/reward shots
+Very clean, park setting
+Plays near some nice looking houses. I don't know why I like that, but I do.
+Great technical course
Cons: -Very treacherous cliffs that over look the water. If you lose a disc in this water it's going to be a very long task getting it back, even with a retriever. Water was deep when I played.
-Plays near traffic
-Some holes are way too short. However, if pro pads were concrete I think it would solve that problem. It was just too muddy to play them when we threw.
-Finishes fast. However, being so short makes it easier to get in 36 w/T.L.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed my time out here. This is a great course to work on the short game. If concrete tee boxes were laid where the pro pads were marked I'd definitely give this course a half point more.

Alex Clark Rundown!!!

1    1/18/2010   1/19/2010
Review By: TxDiscGolfBoy
Pros: -Concrete pads (nice and long and also wide letting you take greatly different angles for your shot run-up)
-Nice signage...though some have been knocked down
-Nice wind blockage if you're not a fan of the wind
-Great midrange practice course / warm-up course
-Some shot variety
-Terrain variety (trees and water hazards, some open shots)
-Very clean course with nice surrounding park area.
Cons: -Muddy after a rain (shade from all the trees blocks the sun)
-No long holes
-Steep banks on the creek making water hazards truly hazardous (bring extra string for your retriever for sure)
-Really quick play
Other Thoughts: This isn't the greatest course out there, but a good one to say the least.

Creek runds through the course, somewhat coming in to play on about half of the holes.

Great midrange and finesse practice course and being right across the street from a much longer and more difficultt 18 holer (Town Lake)...this would be a GREAT warm-up course before playing Town Lake.

Though nothing to terribly long...no holes really long at all to be honest...they really are not too easy. The holes may look it, but there are plenty of trees that will keep you from getting close enough to make those....what would seem like easy birdies.

Should definately be played if you're making a trip to McKinney. Great 36 hole trip.

Short Course Misleading

2-4    11/22/2009   11/22/2009
Review By: jasondguy
This review was updated on 12/7/2009
Pros: Chance for Aces, well kept, uncluttered and nice locals. Great for beginners. low risk disc loss except for 1 or 2 holes.
Cons: Stays muddy days after rain, Signs missing, too short overall. No tomahawks or thumbers due to low ceiling tree canopy that covers the course. Rare chance for rollers as most tees are lined up with baskets and ground is uneven for curved shots.
Other Thoughts: I know a pro that said you could virtually birdie every hole. I tried that today, and as easy as it looks and as short as the course is, its misleading how difficult it can be if you can't consistenly throw 10 yds wide and 220 ft long. the trees will get you and prevent birdies at times.

Good times

5+    10/13/2009   10/13/2009
Review By: rocnroll
Pros: This is a great course to play if you like to run at aces and play multiple rounds. Awesome for beginners as well as for the polished golfer.
Cons: Some tee signs are missing but course is easy to navigate around. Lots of traffic on the weekend so come early.
Other Thoughts: Alex Clark is a great place to play golf. The minis are well run and everyone is friendly. I have played hundreds of rounds here and hope to play hundreds more.

5+    8/9/2009   8/10/2009
Review By: Cbee
Pros: This is a really great beginner course,I can take my son with me who is 12 years old, and only played a few times and he can get through the whole course throwing one or two over on each hole and not get discouraged and still want to come back and play again.
Cons: A few signs missing, but its still an easy course to follow once you figure out where hole 3 is.
Other Thoughts: If your new to the game this is a really good course for you to try out, and like everyone else has said, you can play this one in the heat and not get worn out because of all the huge shade trees

5+    6/22/2009   6/22/2009
Review By: Chunks
Pros: *Short and Shady. Even in the hot summer months you can play multiple rounds here without a problem.
*If you can throw a Roc/Buzz and make a putt you will score extremely well on this course.
*For most advanced and open players all 18 holes are birdie-able.
*Great place to introduce new players to the sport without getting them frustrated.
*There are long tees (dirt) on every hole (find a local to show you where they are located). Playing from the longs makes this pitch and putt course play MUCH longer and tougher.
Cons: *Because this is a great place to learn there are always lots of casual golfers.
*Long tees are a blast to play, but it can be tricky navigating around others that are playing from the short tees (concrete).
*Not a ton of shot selection required. Unless I'm in a mod to Flick I only pull out a driver on 1-2 holes.
Other Thoughts: There is not a better course and a group of local players to help new players learn the game. Every city with a strong disc golf scene needs a course like Alex Clark.

Excellent Course

5+    6/20/2009   6/22/2009
Review By: ryanmmacoustic
Pros: There is a lot of much needed shade from the Texas heat. I personally loved this course. I find something new to like about Alex Clark every time I play. It's very convenient for me because I live about 200 yards away. Still being very new to disc golf I found this course great to learn on. I can birdie on about 7 or 8 holes and make par on the rest.
Holes:
1. Great for Right Handed Side Arm throwers and for Lefties. Be careful the creek is just to the left of the "fairway"
2. I love this hole, the basket is at the end of a "hallway" of trees. Fairly easy.
3. This hole is great for people have a lot of control over their throws. You can hook out to the right and have the disc dive right up next to the basket or you can have it curve out to the left and dive back towards the basket.
4. Very easy hole, just be wary of the creek to the right.
5. Also a great hole as long as you don't hit any trees, be careful not to throw it too far though, you will be swimming for your disc.
6. Par 4. Pretty easy for a par 4. The easiest way I have found to throw this hole is as a right hand side arm throw. Be careful though the creek is just to the right of the basket and it's pretty deep.
7. Very easy hole, one good throw should get you right up to the basket.
8. This hole is a little longer than most of the first seven. Very open shot right up to the basket.
9. Great hole, the tee is slightly down hill from the basket. One good throw usually gets me pretty close to the basket.
10. Easily one of my favorite holes at Alex Clark. The tee is uphill from the basket so you don't have to throw it to hard to get it to the basket.
11. Tee is down hill from the basket, but you still don't have to throw it too hard to get it to the basket.
12. Very short hole, easy to birdie.
13. Another one of my favorites. Great for a right Handed Side Arm thrower like my self. I think this is one of the longer Par 3 holes on the course.
14. This one has a lot of trees, but if you swing out to the right and curve back in you should be pretty close to the basket.
15. This is a great hole if you have a lot of control and can throw your disc pretty straight. But if it curves the slightest bit to the right or left you can easily hit a tree and add a stroke to your score.
16. Par 4. This one was one of the toughest holes for me, I lost two discs but I still like the hole. Very challenging for a beginner.
17. I like this hole, it was a little tough for me. I lost one disc trying to swing out to the left and curve back in.
18. Probably my second favorite hole. Wide open shot. Lots of shade. An easy Ace hole, but if you over shoot you could go in to the creek that lies behind the hole.
Cons: There were a few signs missing. The first time I played I didn't know where to go after the second hole. If you are new to the course just ask someone where hole 3 is and you've got it from there. Bring some bug spray and be careful when trying to retrieve a disc that has fallen into the "rough" there is a lot of poison ivy. Really there aren't many cons to this course. Just needs to be cleaned up a little bit. It can get crowded on weekends though.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course if you are new to disc golf. Everyone that I have met at Alex Clark has been nice and helpful. The course layout is excellent, the tees and basket's are in great shape. It could use some updates signage, other than that I have no complaints.

Good Beginner Course

1    4/19/2009   6/15/2009
Review By: ERicJ
Pros:
Very easy course. Aging, but sufficient, double chain baskets. Main tees are concrete and there are locals-only long/pro tees if you can get someone to show them to you. From the concrete tees there are a lot of potential ace runs on this course, otherwise it's a "deuce or die" course. Other than one spot there's no navigation issues; it's all very obvious. It's got elevation changes and while most of the holes are straight there's a reasonably good balance of lefty vs. righty holes.
Cons:
Several of the tee signs are missing or vandalized. There is a deep creek running along a couple holes that you are unlikely to want to retrieve any errant discs. Only two holes (#6 & #16) that would be considered "hard" by most experienced players. The transition from hole #2 to #3 may not be obvious for first time players. The obvious knock on the course is the short length, but play for 2's and it's a challenge.
Played this course from the concrete tees and I felt like I could have and should have birdied every hole. Like Donovan says: Alex Clarke is a fun course to play and almost got me my first Ace with a shot the bounced off the top of the tray on #11. The course was very crowded with casual players when I played solo and everyone was cool with letting me play through. Play this course along with Towne Lake across the street for a total of 36 good holes.

Kiss My ACE!

1    5/14/2009   5/20/2009
Review By: Donovan
This review was updated on 6/23/2010
Pros: This is a real par 3 style course and it is a great little gem. There are a couple of holes where an ace is unlikely, but most of them are very reasonable for many golfers to reach in one throw. The holes are not all short straight aways. There are some good tree placement and some slight elevation. The course is fairly easy to follow along without a map, since the signs are decent and the baskets have the hole numbers on them. The concrete pads are in great shape and long enough for this course. There are lots of beautiful older trees on this course and a deep creek thst makes a few risk reward type holes here too. There was a message board and great parking for this course also. I didn't see any bathrooms.
Cons: The hole lengths do not have much in variation. It is too bad that the creek is so deep that retrieving a disc from it is not likely for the average golfer. I never mind the risk/reward style holes, but it does suck to know a bad shot could mean you may not recover the disc. I really am stretching the cons here. There is not much wrong at this course.
Other Thoughts: The Fun Factor for me was good. I actually enjoyed playing here and working on my accuracy. This is also a great place to enjoy your short game. McKinney is worth a road trip from just about anywhere. Both course here are great.

Beginner course

5+    12/15/2007   5/15/2009
Review By: p1samuel
Pros: Easy par 3 course. I learned to play on this course. Lots of tall trees line the fairways so you can practice straight shots. Water hazards on a number of the holes, but nothing to daunting.
Cons: Parking area can be a pain when soccer games are going on.
Other Thoughts: Play the pro tees if you want to make this more challenging. Most of them are marked, if not, just back up a ways. Number 7, the dog leg left is the best hole on this course.