Las Vegas, NV
Red Ridge Share
Uploaded By: Discette Hole #1 (Taken 6/2013)
3 / 289ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Ok park course

1    1/24/2013   2/4/2013
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through an area of a multi-use park. The fairways are nice short grass with rocky ob areas surrounding the holes and some small trees lining the fairways. This is a shot placement course, you have to be fairly accurate to stay on the grass and out of the trees and rocks. There are a couple shorter reachable holes, several in the 300-400' range and a couple long holes where it's tempting to air it out and risk the ob. The signage is good, and there's a nice course map by the bathroom.
Cons: The course plays pretty wide open, there's a hyzer route on every hole with only small trees in play and no low ceilings or tight gaps to hit. The course is too long for beginners, but too open and monotonous to be a popular course for more experienced players. Several of the holes play near one another, it's a little too easy to end up throwing into another group. The tees look like nice concrete pads, but they have no texture at all so even a tiny amount of moisture makes them unusably slick.
Other Thoughts: Beginners will enjoy the challenges of staying on the fairways, though the length could be a little frustrating. More experienced players won't find a ton of variety here, if you have a big hyzer shot it's easy to just go over the trees on every shot. Don't go out of your way to play this one, it's best as a place to practice throwing drives and sticking them in the landing zone you're aiming for. Don't expect any technical skills to come into play.

1st time in Vegas.

1    10/21/2012   11/4/2012
Review By: Larrycivic
Pros: This is the first course I have played that looks like a ball golf course. Nice manicured grass with rocks and trees defining the fairways.

If you play the rocks islands as OB this is a great course.

I visited Vegas for vacation and a fellow golfer picked me up and told me we should try red ridge. I was hesitant because it was a nine hole course, but was impressed. We played the OB and it was a technical little course.
The wind was blowing so there was an added difficulty. Course requires ever shot. Flick, anny, hyzer, spike hyzer, tomahawk. All in nine holes.
Cons: Being from DFW Texas I am use to elevation change.

This is a multi use park and there was dog poo on the course so be careful.
Watch for other people when you throw because the fairways are close to each other
Other Thoughts: I am glad we played this course. Short enough for me to play and get back to the family. I wish they a had a nice looking course like this in my neck of the woods.

Red Ridge

1    10/27/2012   10/27/2012
Review By: TheGrim
Pros: This course has great tee pads, signage and baskets. The dedicated course is unique and offers some long distance right and left hand turns. The challenge of this course is keeping it in-bounds. (Though the rocks aren't technically OB)

I loved the view of Vegas from the course. It's a nice neighborhood in a clean and easy to find location.
Cons: The rocks are disc manglers. I made the tragic mistake of throwing a brand new disc and it completely munched the edge of it. If it weren't for the lava rocks of death the course probably would have scored a 3.5-4.

The course turns in on it's self again and again, so you have the potential of throwing at people coming the opposite direction.

The grass is super short and spongy so your disc skips and rolls around like no other course I've ever played.

I'm not sure if the local kennel uses the course to walk their dogs or not, but there is dog crap ALL OVER the course so watch your step.
Other Thoughts: I really thought this course would be a lot of fun, but after playing it once nobody in my group has any interest in returning. Although you should of course avoid throwing OB the consequences of doing so on this course far outweigh the benefits of the course.

Add to that the constant need to watch your step constantly from the dog crap made it annoying to say the least.

I personally thought the grass was neat, and if it weren't surrounded by the rocks of death I'd have put that as a pro.

Wet Grass in the Desert

1    9/22/2012   9/28/2012
Review By: jasonc
Pros: This course offers something I was not anticipating in the Las Vegas desert, wet grass. It was certainly a treat to see any kind of live grass in this area.

The teepads are very nice and flat. Just be sure to dry off your shoes if you plan to use them. Otherwise, you will be slipping and sliding like I did on the first hole.

The tee signs are excellent. After finding the first tee, I did not need to use the map.

If you use the landscaped rock/tree areas as OB, this seemingly flat and easy course becomes rather difficult, especially on a windy day.

The mountain scenery is a real treat for someone like me who lives in the Midwest.

While there are other activities in this park, the disc golf course does not conflict with other park users besides an occasional dog walker.
Cons: The holes here get repetitive very quickly.

There is no signature hole because of con #1.

The wet grass caused me to slip several times during my round. I had to dry off my shoes prior to stepping on each teepad. I understand it must be difficult to keep grass alive in the desert. Hopefully this is only a "con" for the early morning rounds.

The lack of any elevation here left me wanting more, most likely because you have a great view of the mountains on every hole.
Other Thoughts: While this is a very nice course, it leaves much to be desired.

Pros and advanced level players will not find much of a challenge here.

Recreational/novice players may struggle to stay under par because of the length and OB.

I would come back here for another quick round if/when I make it back to Vegas.

Perfect desert fairways

5+    12/16/2012   9/23/2012
Review By: Hector Chain
This review was updated on 12/16/2012
Pros: The layout here is one of the more unique ones you'll find in the desert. The park is filled with curvy strips of landscaped areas filled with small trees, desert plants, and red rocks. The result is that all of the fairways really look like fairways, like someone created the park around a disc golf course (not sure if that was really the case). The holes here are on the long side, but you can't simply air out all your drives. If you're playing the landscaped islands as OB (the signs don't declare them as OB), you'll lose strokes to the OB. If not, you're still going to end up underneath some scraggly trees that will leave you with some bad upshots.

Navigation here was simple. There is a course map, but you won't need it after you find the first hole (the 2nd tee pad is closer to parking lot). All the holes have concrete tees and bright yellow Discatchers. The tee signs are the best in Vegas, giving a nice color bird's eye view of the hole.

There is a good mix of left- and right-curving fairways.

The fairways are grass. It's pretty lush because they over-water here.
Cons: The holes are a little too long. Only one hole is under 300. I'd like to see one or two more under 300. If you're playing with OB, then a short hole can still be a good risk/reward shot if it's located near the OB, but it also gives a good deuce-or-die hole even if you're ignoring OB.

Due to over-watering, the grass was sopping wet when I played. Hole 5 had a big puddle a few feet from the basket. There really shouldn't be water hazards in the desert!

Although multiple tees wouldn't be practical here, multiple pin positions would be nice.

Because the trees aren't very tall, there is always a big hyzer route available. So while you still need to be able to play it accurately, this course won't really force you to throw any anhyzers.

Dog owners don't heed the signs instructing them to clean up after their dogs. I couldn't believe how much dog crap there was.
Other Thoughts: This is definitely the most fun out of the Vegas/Henderson courses with 9 (or fewer) holes. I really enjoyed my two rounds here.

How interesting you find the course will depend on how you treat OB. I don't usually pay attention to OB, honestly, but I did for my second round here. When you do, you realize how well the holes are designed. There are safe landing areas, but if you're going for the birdie, you really have to be confident you're going to land in the grass. By the way, the pictures for this course make it look a lot longer (and the fairways a lot wider) than they really are.

With the nearby mountains and the nice landscaping, this might be the most scenic course in Vegas.

Interesting Design

2-4    1/2/2012   1/10/2012
Review By: TrippinBill
Pros:
-Dedicated disc golf area
-Nice tees and baskets
-Excellent signage
-Great use of land
-Excellent flow from hole to hole
-Lots of OB
-Friendly locals
Cons:
-Somewhat redundant
-No trash cans out on the course
-The OB areas are full of sharp rocks
-A couple holes were too wide open
-Some minor crossplay issues
-Only one tee and pin position for each hole
Overall, this course was a lot of fun. I will be playing it again next time I'm in the area. If you play with all the OB most holes have some decent challenge. Since it is only 9 holes and they flow so well, you can finish the course very quickly if you want to. Like every other course I played in Vegas, the locals were very friendly. I even ran into a fellow DGCR member and we played several holes together.

Pretty but not very good

1    10/26/2011   10/28/2011
Review By: cmartin
Pros: Very pretty setting. Well laid out and easy to follow. It is clear the area is intended for disc golf.
Cons: Very boring holes. Long and reasonably straight. No real obstacles other than at least 50% of the available disc landing area is OB and potentially windy conditions.
Seemed that almost all of the course was wet (presumably from a sprinkler system). Footing on tee pads was questionable as a result.
Other Thoughts: This is by far the worst course I've played. It was very simple and not particularly challenging. Even though I'm not very experienced and can't drive very far, I didn't have any problem reaching the baskets in 2 (and successfully avoiding OB) and made 3 or 4 on every hole - and most of the 4's were caused by poor putting on my part. If this were my only DG experience, I wouldn't continue playing.
I really feel bad giving this review. It's clear that a lot of time, money and work went into developing the course but it just didn't translate to the kind of course I'd like to keep playing.

Golf... errr Disc Golf course

1    2/23/2011   5/25/2011
Review By: JDee
Pros: -Open and easy course for beginners. If you are very advanced you probably don't need your distance driver. On a scale of 1-13 your distance is max a 9.
-Would be great for family play.
-Great training course!
-It is marked perfect, the course is a legit course. Even have signs for pedestrians saying watch for flying discs!
Cons: -Felt like I was on a golf course for disc golf. the fairways were all open and easy, nothing in your way. Its as if they carved it out for golf, and made it super small and made it a disc golf course.
-It's really really nice. It looks really good. But in my opinion, its taking the difficulty and excitement out of the game. Golf, you want open fareways, Disc golf you want a challenge. I want a challenge.
Other Thoughts: It is still a fun course. I would recommend playing it to anyone. But if I was a local to Vegas, i don't think I would play here often. Being from Utah, I enjoy the challenges you get from trees, shrubs, and water hazards.
-Having said all of this. I was visiting and only played this course once. But the one time I did play it, it just seemed to easy. Awesome course to begin on!
Overall... fun to play!

Love the links!

5+    1/15/2011   1/16/2011
Review By: clipnfly
This review was updated on 6/18/2011
Pros: Very nice, clean links style course. See other section below for you rating system and full comments. Update 6/11. This course is much better than I thought on my first visit. This course will make you a better disc golfer. You just have to play it 100% legit. No second drives. No addtl. upshots, count ALL putts and play 100% straight on the OB... any OB = 1 addt toss on your score. I will bet you a donut that if you play this course legit you can not shoot under a 35... and if you can... You are a darn good disc golfer and I want to play with you. This course forces disc selection to be better.. disc control to be spot on... length feels shorter than my first visit, but my arm is getting bigger... If you want to toss some plastic, catch some rays, hang with your buds and smoke some weed, go to Sunset park. Come here to really improve your game. Take a look around. nice tee pads, cement borders around all OB, great signs. This course was not cheap to install and was done by some folks who really care about disc golf. Thank you!!
Cons: See other section below. Standing water in the a.m. from irrigation and way too much dog poop all over course... In my area you would be arrested if you did not pick up after your dog. Real shame. Trade off is that for a desert the grass is quite nice. Short and good for skipping discs. Tee pads are a bit too slick in the wet... tee from along side the pads for safety when pads are wet in early a.m. from sprinklers.
Other Thoughts: This is my disc golf course rating system. Each element of the course is worth ½ disc for a total of 10, ½ disc units or 5 full discs of rating.
My 10 categories are:
1. Quality of tee pads.
2. Quality of signage, both individual hole signs as well as a sign board and course layout at the hole one beginning location.
3. Course amenities. Benches at tees, garbage cans on course, disc bag posts/hooks, next tee arrows, etc.
4. Overall park amenities. Things like bathrooms, drinking fountains, playground areas, anything that improves the overall location.
5. Overall use of available terrain features. How well did the designers use what they had to work with?
6. Changes in elevation. Some courses have this occurring naturally. Others have created it. Either way it is vital that a good course is beyond flat… even in Iowa or Nebraska.
7. Variety of hole length. Is it mixed up? Some long, some short. Keep things interesting.
8. Tee and basket options. Are there tee options and/or alternate basket locations? Can the course be played different on different visits?
9. Signature hole? Is there one hole in specific that leaves an impression? Creates a unique memory?
10. Fun Factor - Purely subjective on my part. Did I have fun?

Red Ridge, Las Vegas

1. Yes. Good tee pads, but just a bit small for some of these longer holes.
2. Yes. Excellent signage, some of the best I have seen.
3. Yes. No trash cans on course, but plenty avail at park area. No trash on course, so I guess players use the cans where they are. Cans near basket for 9 and Tee for 1.
4. Yes. Overall nice clean park.
5. Yes. ZERO elevation here naturally or created. Links style layout is good, but flat. Links layout allows 9 longish holes in a tight footprint. All features were created specifically for the course.
6. No. No elevation what so ever.
7. No. Not much variety in hole length… all are mid to longish by my experience.
8. No. No tee or basket options on a very well defined links layout.
9. No. This course lacks a signature hole. All are basically point and shoot.
10. Yes. This was quite a bit of fun. The tight fairways make it a challenge. Good example of a well laid out links course. If rocky areas are played as OB you will have to be a good straight shot to make par. There are no real hyzer/anhyzer holes here as best shooting is likely a series of connected straight shots to play in the defined fairways.

Rating = 6 yes and 4 no for a total of 3 discs!

A Red Desert Oasis

1    12/4/2010   12/13/2010
Review By: elton807
This review was updated on 10/7/2011
Pros: Unique "ball golf" style layout. Already a great course, this track will only get better with time, especially as the trees grow out. Excellent kids playground near 9th hole.
Cons: A little busy, but never rushed. Flat, but gets the very most out of available area.
Other Thoughts: I took my wife for her first time on this course because I thought it would be less intimidating due to its likeness to a ball golf course and how flat it is. She enjoyed herself and even hit a few long putts! I look forward to playing this course a few times a year.
=================
Uniqueness: A (I really haven't seen anywhere else quite like this)
Difficulty: B- (flat; "links style" layout calls for some accuracy)
Fun factor: B+ (family disc golf is always fun)
Aesthetics: A (manicured; totally man-made in Vegas fashion)
---------------------
Overall: A-