Lewes, DE
Cape Henlopen State Park Share
Uploaded By: MANN-JITSU Hole #8 (Taken 2/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3

1    9/16/2014   9/16/2014
Review By: PWaggoner
Pros: Challenging to build power as well as not slip in the sand. Unique course with tons of overhand and grenade shots(short). Not tons of traffic.
Cons: To scared to play long and middle tees and lose a disc. Sometimes signs missing or tee pad broken. No water spouts.
Other Thoughts: Had fun at this course. With a little love this could be a well rated course. Surely one of a kind

Fun place!

1    8/2/2014   8/3/2014
Review By: FlyingHyzer
Pros: - Steady Ed Original. Disc golf history.
- Multiple Tees on all holes provide multiple different shots.
- Beautiful landscape.
- The beach is right there.
- Great for a day trip.
Cons: - Playing in sand definitely wears you out.
- some of the added white and blue tees seem to force you to make stupid shots.
- As others said sand can make teepads slippery, and some have a big drop off the front of them.
- Some Teepads are in terrible shape.
- After periods of rain, a few holes are unplayable due to standing water.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course for a day trip, or a weekend, or even a week. Especially because Cape Henlopen was a beautiful park with tons of amenities. Rehoboth is close by, providing lodging, nightlife and other activities.

We played (almost) all red tees, to stay true to the original historic layout, and we had a pretty decent time. All in all a fun course to play because the beach is right next to it, I wouldn't go out of my way just for this course however.

Very unique and fun course

1    6/7/2014   6/9/2014
Review By: Longjonsilverz
Pros: Good variety in hole design. Very scenic park. Course is played completely in sand. Multiple tee pads for each hole. Decent elevation changes for a Delmarva course due to the sand dunes.
Cons: Sand gets on tee pads and makes it easy to slip. Some tee pads have a huge drop off at the end. Equipment is in bad shape. Holes can be confusing to locate unless you have a map. Park entrance fee. Discs can slide under the sand and get lost.
Other Thoughts: This course is unlike any other I have ever played. It is a fun challenge to play on the sand dunes. The course is very scenic being next to the Atlantic ocean and being is a nice park. Most holes are not very long in distance but the sand makes it seem longer since power is lost in throwing. The real appeal of this course is the uniqueness of playing on a sand course, and the great location. Don't expect to play your best here, but if you're looking for a break from the typical disc golf courses around the area, this is the one to play.

A cool beach course

2-4    7/5/2014   4/20/2014
Review By: argo_yamato
This review was updated on 7/13/2014
Pros: Playing on sand dunes is pretty cool.
All the holes have multiple tee pads which is great for newer players.
The tee pads are like boardwalks made with that composite decking material for most of them.
Most of the tee pads are in good shape. I used the red pads and only one had a few holes in it.
Cons: Navigation is a little confusing for some of the holes.
The baskets are a little rusty but not too bad.
Other Thoughts: Try and park at the basketball court parking lot. This is the closest to tee 1 and basket 18. You can pick up a scorecard/course map at the nature center which is on the way to the basketball parking lot.

Be sure and bring water and sun screen, it can get hot in this area in the summer time.

Different!! Loved it!!

1    9/1/2013   11/1/2013
Review By: Ufcfan
Pros: By the beach. So different from other Delaware courses. Sand dunes.. just cool
Cons: From hole 9 its hard to find hole 10. Its back by the first tee.
Other Thoughts: Its almost a 2hr drive for me but I will go back for sure. The pars are kinda easy. Im no pro & I got a -11 & a -15 the day I played. Worth checkin out!!!!

Nice change of scenery

1    8/18/2013   8/21/2013
Review By: Daveech
Pros: Sand Dunes make this course challenging. Many holes have up to three tees to throw from. Some tees are elevated on sides of hills providing a unique look and starting point. Good variety of shots from open to wooded alleys.
Cons: Course signage can be improved especially marking the direction of the next tee. Some tees have loose boards and holes. Also, some are literally buried in the sand. Chains on gates have been heavily affected by the salt.
Other Thoughts: Played this course on an overcast day which was perfect for beating the heat. Enjoye the change in scenery because I am used to playing wooded courses. Hole 14b is memorable where the pin is located on the tip of a steep hillside. Will definitely be visiting the course again.

2-4    7/13/2013   7/15/2013
Review By: xcrunner134life
Pros: multiple tees for different levels of play
baskets have arrows to get you to the next tees
baskets are either orange or have an orange number plate
you're at the beach!!! You can play 18 holes, go for a dip in the ocean, then come back for some more.
Cons: some of the tees are in poor shape
chains are very rusted on the baskets
there was a lot of standing water in areas that there were trees from heavy rains and flash flooding from several days before.
You can't see the basket from most of the higher level tees. The signage could use an update. You'll spend a lot of time marching up the sand to see if you can find the basket before you tee off.
Other Thoughts: I played Henlopen three years ago, the last time we vacationed in Lewes. It seems that several of the tees have been fixed, but there's a lot of work that the course needs. There were several holes that were completely unplayable because of water. Between holes 17 to 18, there were trees down blocking any walking paths.
If you're visiting, and it hasn't rained hard recently, then it's a nice vacation play in the sand if you need a break from the water.

Fun But Different

2-4    8/4/2012   8/5/2012
Review By: JSlavy
Pros: - Nice use of elevation because of the dunes. Terrain reminds me of the dunes on the outer banks of North Carolina.

- Some really cool holes. #16 (I think - sign said 14b) had a basket on the slope of a steep dune. Great hole. Like the baskets that are on or behind the dunes.

- No heavy brush. Mostly downed pines and dead pine needles. Holes 1 and 10 have some tall beach grass that could maybe cause a lost disc but that's about it.

- Short tees actually are a totally different hole as opposed to just a shorter shot. Less blind shots while adding finese skill shots to the basket.

- The back nine wooded holes are really well designed, more like a regular course and make great use of the terrain.

- Beach is the best way I could think of to cool off after a round.
Cons: - Too many blind shots unless you play short tees.

- Hard to find the next tee but the Next Tee signs do help.

- Very easy to shoot at the wrong basket due to the up and back layout of the course. I threw to 18 accidentally instead of 8. And almost threw to 1 on hole 7 and basket 10 on the first hole. Use a printed map and next tee signs together and it helps. Without a map I would have been lost.

- HOT!!!! Avoid playing mid day in the summer. If so bring PLENTY of water. I felt like I was going to pass out when I played mid day and had to rest in the shade and down some water. The heat coming off the sand is brutal by noon.
Other Thoughts: Was staying in Lewes for a weekend and went two days in a row. First day was rough but brought my wife and dad who wanted to try disc golf and they had a blast. Not an ideal beginner course but I think the red tees and a day at the beach made it a hit. My dad wants to try some local Baltimore area courses now.

I had more fun on day 2 by just playing the red tees while teaching my wife and dad. There were less blind shots and less plodding through the hot, soft sand to scout the basket before teeing off, which can sap your strength and fun if you're not used to it.

Thanks to reviews I wore sandals. They were the best option but the sand still chafes your feet after a while.

An idea my dad and I had after playing on day two: Park at the big beach lot. Start at hole 13 across from the lot and finish up at 12. Play in your swim trunks and sandles and you can dip in the water after a short walk across the lot, otherwise you have to walk around the course again from 18 to the beach.

This course is much more fun once you are used to it. On day one I was pretty frustrated and hot, playing at around 2 pm in scorching sand in august and skipped some holes to go to the beach. On day two we played early morning, knew the layout and it was much more fun. For those who tried it and hated it, another round may be a totally different experience.

Unique but Average

1    7/19/2012   7/19/2012
Review By: RamsFan1
Pros: 18 hole course located a few hundred yards from the beach at a nice state park in Lewes. A kiosk with course information sits beside hole 1. All holes have working baskets. Multiple tee pads of sufficient length (red, white, blue) depending on level of difficulty you desire. Course is laid out well and distances are reasonable. Decent use of elevation, especially for a beach course. Course navigation is pretty easy with "next tee" arrows a big help. A small nature center building on site sells a limited supply of discs and provides a course map for anyone interested.
Cons: Built in 1978 and located by the beach, this course is showing heavy wear and tear. Signs are weathered and chipped, basket numbers are faded, basket chains are rusty and the salt air has taken its toll. Some of the wood planks which comprise the tee boxes are broken and need to be replaced. Many blind shots off the tee. Only a couple of benches and no bag poles, which would be a nice extra. Drinking fountains and bathrooms not in close proximity. Now 11 bucks for out-of-staters to enter the park.
Other Thoughts: The novelty of taking the Cape May ferry to Lewes and biking a mile to the course was what inspired me to play here. Cape Henlopen is not a bad course and I am a beach person, but truth be told, I wasn't real impressed with the place. Throwing thumbers every third shot off the tee and dealing with intrusive pine trees blocking paths to the basket is not my preferred day of disc golf. I know there is a group of devoted locals who play here and it is a unique experience for sure, but not one I'd want to have each week.

If ever there was a course in need of considerable TLC, this is it. Many things need to be upgraded as indicated above- including the secondary tee pads and accompanying markers- to make this a better overall course.

Work on that tomahawk/thumber

1    9/12/2011   10/10/2011
Review By: yenhe2002
Pros: Differently interesting. Playing in the sand was more difficult than I thought it would be, as (perhaps obviously) it's tough to get much on those long fairway shots.

Nice little store near the course that sells discs (but no water :( ) with a kindly park official who couldn't get the change drawer open when I bought an Xpress...easiest donation he ever received.
Cons: Ooooooollllllddddd signage and par designations. These circa 1980 metal signs with bad hole maps on them were as often misleading as they were correct. The fact that the course is in transition makes this doubly frustrating.

Very little in the way of course amenities. I did not find out until later in the day that Delaware has this "carry in-carry out" policy about their parks...which is no big deal really, but the occasional bench and/or trash can is nice IMO.

$8 out of state to park there, as you most likely know by now. I didn't care because I was on vacation, but this would be a negative if I were planning to drive from Maryland or something.

HOT HOT HOT midday. I'm so glad I played in the morning, because I might have dehydrated if I played it in the afternoon during the summer. All that sunshine bouncing off the sand...eeep.

If you can keep the disc high and level with little fade, you will do well here. If you have a killer tomahawk, you will own this place. There were sufficient obstacles for a player like me that depends on a low drive, but I know a couple players that lean on the overhand shots that would have an unfair advantage here. There are a couple holes that simply DO NOT HAVE A LINE if you don't have a good overhand.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed myself here despite the negatives, mostly because it was so different from anything I've ever done before. I can definitely see that this is a "love it or leave it" course.

The locals are obviously putting some love into this course, and I bet when they are done (hopefully the signage will be part of your renovation) it will be a 3.5 or so. It's cool enough to deserve the attention imo, kudos to you guys.

If I found myself near it again, I'd play it...but I wouldn't go out of my way for this course. (Sorry, guys)

< Prev 1 2 3