Lewes, DE
Uploaded By: optidiscic Hole #2

Unique but Average

1    7/19/2012   7/19/2012
Review By: RamsFan1
Pros: 18 hole course located a few hundred yards from the beach at a nice state park in Lewes. A kiosk with course information sits beside hole 1. All holes have working baskets. Multiple tee pads of sufficient length (red, white, blue) depending on level of difficulty you desire. Course is laid out well and distances are reasonable. Decent use of elevation, especially for a beach course. Course navigation is pretty easy with "next tee" arrows a big help. A small nature center building on site sells a limited supply of discs and provides a course map for anyone interested.
Cons: Built in 1978 and located by the beach, this course is showing heavy wear and tear. Signs are weathered and chipped, basket numbers are faded, basket chains are rusty and the salt air has taken its toll. Some of the wood planks which comprise the tee boxes are broken and need to be replaced. Many blind shots off the tee. Only a couple of benches and no bag poles, which would be a nice extra. Drinking fountains and bathrooms not in close proximity. Now 11 bucks for out-of-staters to enter the park.
Other Thoughts: The novelty of taking the Cape May ferry to Lewes and biking a mile to the course was what inspired me to play here. Cape Henlopen is not a bad course and I am a beach person, but truth be told, I wasn't real impressed with the place. Throwing thumbers every third shot off the tee and dealing with intrusive pine trees blocking paths to the basket is not my preferred day of disc golf. I know there is a group of devoted locals who play here and it is a unique experience for sure, but not one I'd want to have each week.

If ever there was a course in need of considerable TLC, this is it. Many things need to be upgraded as indicated above- including the secondary tee pads and accompanying markers- to make this a better overall course.

Work on that tomahawk/thumber

1    9/12/2011   10/10/2011
Review By: yenhe2002
Pros: Differently interesting. Playing in the sand was more difficult than I thought it would be, as (perhaps obviously) it's tough to get much on those long fairway shots.

Nice little store near the course that sells discs (but no water :( ) with a kindly park official who couldn't get the change drawer open when I bought an Xpress...easiest donation he ever received.
Cons: Ooooooollllllddddd signage and par designations. These circa 1980 metal signs with bad hole maps on them were as often misleading as they were correct. The fact that the course is in transition makes this doubly frustrating.

Very little in the way of course amenities. I did not find out until later in the day that Delaware has this "carry in-carry out" policy about their parks...which is no big deal really, but the occasional bench and/or trash can is nice IMO.

$8 out of state to park there, as you most likely know by now. I didn't care because I was on vacation, but this would be a negative if I were planning to drive from Maryland or something.

HOT HOT HOT midday. I'm so glad I played in the morning, because I might have dehydrated if I played it in the afternoon during the summer. All that sunshine bouncing off the sand...eeep.

If you can keep the disc high and level with little fade, you will do well here. If you have a killer tomahawk, you will own this place. There were sufficient obstacles for a player like me that depends on a low drive, but I know a couple players that lean on the overhand shots that would have an unfair advantage here. There are a couple holes that simply DO NOT HAVE A LINE if you don't have a good overhand.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed myself here despite the negatives, mostly because it was so different from anything I've ever done before. I can definitely see that this is a "love it or leave it" course.

The locals are obviously putting some love into this course, and I bet when they are done (hopefully the signage will be part of your renovation) it will be a 3.5 or so. It's cool enough to deserve the attention imo, kudos to you guys.

If I found myself near it again, I'd play it...but I wouldn't go out of my way for this course. (Sorry, guys)

Good times on the BEACH

1    8/18/2011   8/22/2011
Review By: Citadelly
Pros: Multiple tee pad locations per hole (Red/White/Blue)

Sign on all 18 holes at White tee location showing distance, basket location, & pars

Permanent 18 baskets with what looks to be another 9-18 being built
Cons: $8.00 per car to play at this park

Be prepared to walk in the sand throughout the entire course!

At times it can be difficult to find alternate tee pad locations as there's only one sign per hole on White tees

Can't see the baskets location from tee pad on a majority of the holes

Basket 1 & 18 on opposite sides of the course

Difficult at times to navigate from one hole to the next
Other Thoughts: Overall I enjoyed the experience & may go back to play. I'd recommend others to play here as well

nightmare on beach street

5+    8/13/2011   8/14/2011
Review By: beaverdisc
Pros: You can smell the ocean and see the crowds of people crowding the State Park. (not my scene) You can watch some great ultimate Frisbee games every now and then. It is close to fishing and many other activities.
Cons: The course is REALLY BAD. When I was there every time, the tee areas were quite inadiquate and dangerous. I played it many times, but from a stand and throw every shot. The tees were something like broken skids and the course did not play well. Too many hidden baskets. Hadd to walk evey hole before it was played.
Other Thoughts: If I am in Delaware, I will play it because it is there, and I like the ocean smell.

Very Unique Course

2-4    6/9/2011   8/5/2011
Review By: Bzach
Pros: -Right near the beach and most of the course is in the sand.
-Good course layout with the back nine in a larger circle around the front nine.
-great altitude changes and there are just enough trees to make it challenging without making it frustrating.
-Course markings are clear and easy to follow once you find the fist tee.
Cons: -The sand get into everything. Bags, shoes, ect. I would suggest wearing sandals.
- Small cactus are everywhere so watch your step.
- there are not many bushes but the ones that are there have some of the biggest thorns that I have ever seen.
- Rollers do not work in sand.
Other Thoughts: I played this course twice in the five days that I spent on vacation and I would have to say that this course provides an overall positive experience. Playing in the sand is incredibly fun and its interesting to see how your game changes when you play on a different surface. You do have to pay to get into the park however this will also get you into all the Delaware state parks some of which have other disc golf courses. Lastly there is wildlife everywhere, we pulled in and the entire parade field of the park was full of deer.

Sandy Discin'

1    6/29/2011   6/29/2011
Review By: RedHotCujo
Pros: -Good path guidance with arrows on baskets pointing to next tee, got around quite easily first time playing with a little confusion around hole 10.
(you can pick up a course map from the nature center or look at the board by the first tee)
-Good for all levels of play because most holes have a blue, white, and red tee pad.
-Unique course in that it is primarily located on sand.
-Hard to lose a disc (despite other reviews) because there is not much shrubbery or or rough so if you have a general idea of where it went you should be fine.
-Well kept, great tee pads, great signs showing length and direction of the hole.
Cons: -It is a short course.
-Most of the throws are blind.
-Some of the baskets a rusty and rickety.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the area, this is definitely worth making a trip to just because of its uniqueness of the course.
If you are willing to travel, this is a great destination because after a quick round (love it or hate it) you can take a stroll to the beach afterward to cool off on the white sandy beaches!
Its a relatively easy course that plays rather quickly.

LOVE IT!!!

2-4    5/8/2011   5/15/2011
Review By: aDedhed
Pros: i absolutly love this course. the layout is awesome. the sand dunes in which it is constructed are an added difficulty not only in the hiking but in the spotting of the baskets. everything about this course i love and i will definatly be making the 2 hour drive again to play this course multiple times
Cons: the only bad thing i can think of about this course was ummm well nothing. i loved it

1    9/22/2009   8/11/2010
Review By: JediEthan1
Pros: Interesting course! Boardwalk teepads and constant sand give it a beach feel, but I hop that you don't hope for rolls/skips in the sand!
Beach is very closeby: Within the park!
Cons: Sand gets in shoes, boardwalk tees can be rickety, hard to see basket from tee.
Other Thoughts: Cool course. I would come back for sure. It's certainly different from other Delmarva courses I've played!

me no likie

1    4/9/2010   4/13/2010
Review By: Shadwrack
Pros: Your disc wont skip, ever! Sand is cool, I guess.
Cons: $8 out of state. bathrooms closed. windy. rusty baskets. several water hazards. tee signs hard to read and confusing. bad course layout, no flow. did I mention the wind?
Other Thoughts: sorry, there isn't much else to say. I'll probably never play this course again.

Dunique Course!

1    9/15/2009   10/9/2009
Review By: optidiscic
This review was updated on 5/11/2010
Pros: Wow! This is one of the funnest and most unique courses I have ever played. Rolling up and over hills of sand, Threading Pine Alleys, Taming the Wind, and just soaking up the otherwordly experience of playing this one of a kind disc golf course. This course will present you with plenty of blind BUT rewarding holes. I was expecting an annoying blind course and to lose discs all over this course based on my intermediate skill level, the prior reviews, and playing alone. I was so glad I took the chance to play this joyride. I did not lose a disc and the holes were some of the funnest and unique I have ever encountered in over 90 played courses. 2/3 of the holes play over white sand dunes with scrub brush and pines sprinkled throughout. It's almost like your out in some far away desert or another planet as you play here. The tees are wooden plank boardwalks that provide enough room to drive from given the not so distant baskets. The challenge here is derived from the elevation shifts and tight pine fairways. Often your disc is sailing upward over a dune with nose up and it catches the wind...woooah! Next time you might throw a sideways wind cutting hyzer and take into consideration the effects wind can have on your throw. The blind throws require some scouting but it's glory to walk over a massive dune and see your disc parked next to the basket. Holes 14 and 15 are fun woods holes that break up the dunes. Hole 18 is a monster 500 footer that depending on the wind can play differently everytime. The course area is primarily disc golf so relax and escape for awhile into the dunes. Your discs will not get beat up by rocks and even the pines are gentle in how they handle discs.
Cons: Sure your gonna get sand in your shoes and sand on your discs....boo hoo! I'd rather be plastered with sand than caked in mud and scratched by thorns like most east coast courses of this caliber. I did get 2 metered once but it wasnt hard to retrieve or find the disc...(The pines at Seneca and other places are much more evil). The boardwalk tees can be awkward at first but you don't need crazy run ups on these mostly short driving holes. Navigation is a bit tricky and it could stand to be better marked but you can print a map or take note of the map at the info kiosk. I really can't whine too much I just found the course to be a delight and the fun factor far outweighs any cons. Be careful of bike riders and walkers on a few of the holes on the back 9. Not an elite course but is definetely memorable.
Other Thoughts: Bring fluids if it's hot out. The actual Cape is just a driver's throw away and I would recommend hitting the waves after a round as a way to unwind and cool off or just to soak up the ocean views. I fully expect many to disagree with my rating of this course but I had a blast playing here and the environment with the ocean and beautiful beaches nearby is second to none. Pay the entry fee and drive to the beach access area as you pass the soccer fields to your right the course will be on your left. Park near the basketball courts.