Lawrenceville, GA
Alexander Park Share
Uploaded By: bk_ching Hole #7 (Taken 4/2011)
Hole #7 Blue Tee

Great Course

5+    12/14/2013   3/23/2014
Review By: DiabolicalHeel
Pros: -The course is very diverse and offers every types of shot you could want short of over a body of water. It has uphills, downhills, wooded, wide open, just a great selection of holes.
-Multiple tee pads make this course beginner friendly if you're trying to get a friend into the game that hasn't played before.
-Multiple pin placements help keep the holes fresh. If I remember correctly every hole has 3 different pin positions and all of them are interesting for that particular hole.
-The park is very clean and well maintained. There are plenty of trash cans and this course even has a broom at every hole if the tee box is too dirty for you
-The course is well cleared out on it's wooded holes. This means clear lines that are manageable and take luck out of the equation. Also means less chances to lose a disc.
Cons: -Traffic can be very heavy at times. There have been multiple times where I've found myself waiting behind groups of people
Other Thoughts: I see this course hasn't gotten great ratings from everybody but to me this is exactly what I want in a disc golf course. The course has nearly every shot, other than directly over water, and is very friendly to both beginners in veterans. I wish I still lived in the area as I loved coming to this course and I strongly suggest anyone around to give it a try. Also, just around the corner from the park is Disc Stalker, which is a a disc golf pro shop, and they have a great selection of plastic so if you need anything new you can stop by there on your way to the course. Overall just a great setup in my opinion.

Very Good Course

1    7/20/2013   7/20/2013
Review By: umeshc
Pros: I live in Athens, GA and am an intermediate player. I normally throw less than 350 feet. That being said, I love this course because most of the holes are in that range for par 3. Very well kept disc golf course. I really like the large teepads with brooms in almost all of them. A practice basket with distance info is a great plus. The wooded holes are open enough for my skill and my mid-range disc worked great. Some of the wooded holes are treacherous though. Playing from blue tee was a little bit challenging for me but I still like them because I birdied some holes and hit chains and rims several times in my birdie attempts. Overall great course for my skill level.
Cons: Not really. Driving distance from Athens.
Other Thoughts: People should visit this course at least twice to check their skill and power.

Fantastic Course

5+    3/16/2013   3/18/2013
Review By: Sack
Pros: Excellent mix of long/short open/wooded shots! Well maintained! Easy to navigate! The baskets are rotated to their alternate locations regularly! Benchs and brooms at most tee boxes. All concrete pads. Several fairways and tees have been receiving cosmetic cleanup/improvements this winter/spring. Awesome! Overall, it is a great looking course that will challenge lots of your techniques!
Cons: None really. A couple of holes could use a better "next tee" sign.
Other Thoughts: Definately looks and plays like a well maintained course. Great for all skill levels. Holes 10 and 16 in the long position are my favorite tee shots in all of metro Atlanta!

My new favorite

5+    8/18/2012   9/6/2012
Review By: Sersan43
This review was updated on 1/27/2014
Pros: Well manicured fairways.
Brooms at most tee boxes.
Pin placement changes regularly.
Multiple tee boxes on almost every hole.
Good mix of field and forest.
Good mix of technical and power drives required.
Friendliest players I've run into on any course.
Cons: It isn't closer to home.
Never can seem to get a scorecard or map at the kiosk, not really a con but just want one to have.
Other Thoughts: I was blown away the first time I played at this course. I tell all my DG friends about this course and they have since played and agreed that this course is legit!

My Home Course

5+    2/10/2012   2/10/2012
Review By: travislj
Pros: This course offers a lot of variety. Some holes open, some wooded, uphill, downhill, & water in play on 17. They are constantly improving it. Baskets move pretty frequently.
Cons: Park can be busy at times.
Other Thoughts: If you have never played here you should really check it out.

Near perfect

2-4    7/10/2011   9/26/2011
Review By: sasscers7
Pros: Two concrete Ts per basket with a broom at every T. Distance and accuracy required throughout the course--only a couple of holes are wide open.

The woods were clear of undergrowth which made it easy to find your disc on any throw.
Cons: The pond is deceptively easy to throw into on #17.
Other Thoughts: I have played many courses around the US and this course is the best I have played perhaps with the exception of my "home" course at Oregon Park near Atlanta GA.

I went early on Sat and Sun mornings, so did not run into the crowds mentioned in some of the other reviews.

Top of the Line

2-4    4/10/2010   4/14/2010
Review By: maynes35
Pros: My wife and I played this together and we both loved it. As you walk in you see the practice basket which has brick markers for several distances and goes all the way around so muliple people can be putting at once (probably the best practice set up I've seen). It has concrete tee boxes for both tee positions (which is a change because usually my wife gets a crappy tee box when she plays at the short tee). Hole #1 is wide open which I like because I don't always get to warm up, and it is nice to just let the first one fly without much of a problem. There is a nice mix of open holes and wooded holes. There are a few pretty long holes and a couple shorter holes. It is well maintained and it appears it will be cared for as it gets older. There is only one spot that you can actually lose your disc in water. The course set up flows pretty well and it is easy to find the next tee box. For a newer players and decent players, this course is great. I'm sure some pro players don't like the open holes, but it is nice to miss a tree if you're in a funk. I love this course and when I visit GA again I'll be stopping by!
Cons: I really don't have any. When the bushes and trees grow more in the "open" areas it will be great. Sometimes we had to think about the distance and which basket was ours.
Other Thoughts: I was unsure of a 4.0 or a 4.5, but when the trees/bushes grow up a little more on the front, this course will really be superb. Great place to go and play.

Played 12/21/09

2-4    12/21/2009   12/22/2009
Review By: Kevro79
Pros: I love the setup of this course. Nice open field to start off with, which then leads into some pretty awesome woods shots. Each hole has 2 tee boxes so beginners can get a little closer. The tee boxes are wide which I prefer for a tee box. I love the DisCatcher baskets, they catch my disc well. I like the mix of shots you have to take and the mental aspect the designers added in with the shots through 2 trees.
Cons: A lot of people every time I go. Which is cool because the sport is growing, but can be a little annoying. I also don't like the shot by the lake, although sometimes the hole location is good to stay away from it. I don't want to risk loosing discs. (cheap college kid)
Other Thoughts: I like the course. Very happy to have this addition to the courses in my area.

Gorgeous course, a real confidence builder

1    9/9/2009   9/9/2009
Review By: JasonK
This review was updated on 10/20/2009
Pros: Beautiful landscaping & natural beauty. Great mix of open and wooded holes. Well thought out design offers challenges for every level. Pristine condition the day I played. Modern and well-maintained amenities: benches, signs, facilities. Many birdie opportunities. Dual tee positions on each hole, all concrete.
Cons: A fair walk from the parking lot to the tee. Some holes are repetitive. May be too easy for advanced players. Lack of shade on hot days can be killer. Hole 17 should be a Par 3.
Other Thoughts: I've only been golfing for 6 months but this is by far the nicest and most fun course I've played. It was a beautiful fall day and and I got my lowest score so I'm very happy. The landscaping, layout and new amenities made me feel like I was playing at a country club. It's simply gorgeous here and the course is a real confidence builder. One is required to use a wide variety of shots including long drives which are missing at other area courses (E. Roswell anyone?). The wooded holes are great too - many start or end in the woods. The experience at Alexander Park is magnificient. It is clear that the local parks department is intent on making this one of the premiere DG courses in the area. Not to be missed. This is close to as perfect a course as I'd want to play.

Update: After playing this course a few times, I found the back parking lot where the DG'ers park that is much closer to the course. Drive in the main entrance, through the regular parking lot into the "Overflow" lot which brings you within a few hundred feet of the first tee. Much better than walking from the main lot, especially after a full round. Enjoy!

I will be under par here...eventually

5+    7/7/2009   7/11/2009
Review By: BIGBUSINESS
This review was updated on 7/13/2009
Pros: I have only been playing for a few months now but as a designer myself I can really appreciate what Ryan Harris has done with this piece of property. I feel like to have a successful course variety is key. Here he has done this by providing many different styles of holes on one course. Some in the woods, some in the wide open…. It is my personal opinion that a good open hole to loosen things up can make the transition into the woods a bit smoother.... especially for beginners. After that he mixes in some great looks into and out of the woods giving you multiple places to score low early. He takes great notice to the fact that not everyone is a righty and gives a good mix of left to right and right to left. The signage is well done...I think he must have had some good help through that process because some courses pay little attention to where they put there signs… They are some of the nicest and easiest to read as well. When you come to the back nine things begin to get a bit harder so consider pars pretty good. 17 will be in the pros section and the cons section… it is a great hole (especially the back location)… As you come to 18 you have a tight gap that can easily ruin a low round but is also very birdie able if you have two great drives in a row. All around this is my favorite course that I have played thus far and I will continue to drive the 45 minute drive from Athens to play it. Well done guys!
Cons: I have very few cons about this course… Besides the obvious walk that you must take. I here that this issue will be taken care of once phase two of the park begins. First who made the crappy scorecards that they provide? It is pretty obvious to me that the designers were not in charge of making those because whoever did had no idea how many holes were on the course…they chose 19… mark me down for a birdie on that one…I just have a hard time believing that the guys who paid such intricate detail to the design would overlooked something like that. It was probably some lazy county worker who kind of knew how to use excel… Regardless, that is in no way going to ruin your day. Second I just want to say that for being one of my favorite holes out there 17 is also my least favorite….The prevailing winds out there ALWAYS seem to be blowing right at the pond. I am rather impartial to that hole (Perhaps because I have lost 3 drivers there already) and word to the wise… that pond is home to a very large black snake. If you decided to roll up your pant legs and go in after a lost disk I would stop and think about this one piece of information…if the snapping turtles do not bite your toe off than the LEACHES yes leaches just might… pretty disgusting I know.
Other Thoughts: On a lighter note I am a huge fan of what these guys have been able to do with this piece of property. You are almost completely seperated from the rest of the park and you get to experience one hell of a disk golf course. I have never been able to just play once. I usually will play 2 or 3 rounds so for those complaining about the walk…Get in shape and one last thing. S A C!