Lawrenceville, GA
Alexander Park Share
Uploaded By: bk_ching Hole #3 (Taken 4/2011)

Top of the Line

2-4    4/10/2010   4/14/2010
Review By: maynes35
Pros: My wife and I played this together and we both loved it. As you walk in you see the practice basket which has brick markers for several distances and goes all the way around so muliple people can be putting at once (probably the best practice set up I've seen). It has concrete tee boxes for both tee positions (which is a change because usually my wife gets a crappy tee box when she plays at the short tee). Hole #1 is wide open which I like because I don't always get to warm up, and it is nice to just let the first one fly without much of a problem. There is a nice mix of open holes and wooded holes. There are a few pretty long holes and a couple shorter holes. It is well maintained and it appears it will be cared for as it gets older. There is only one spot that you can actually lose your disc in water. The course set up flows pretty well and it is easy to find the next tee box. For a newer players and decent players, this course is great. I'm sure some pro players don't like the open holes, but it is nice to miss a tree if you're in a funk. I love this course and when I visit GA again I'll be stopping by!
Cons: I really don't have any. When the bushes and trees grow more in the "open" areas it will be great. Sometimes we had to think about the distance and which basket was ours.
Other Thoughts: I was unsure of a 4.0 or a 4.5, but when the trees/bushes grow up a little more on the front, this course will really be superb. Great place to go and play.

Alexander Park

1    3/24/2010   3/25/2010
Review By: disc_jockey
Pros: on a nice sunny day, this course is 5 star and very well designed!!!
enjoyable for beginners and advanced players alike. excellent place to bring your friends and pet dogs.
Cons: avoid rush hour traffic
Other Thoughts: will be playing this course all year long, and hope to improve by 5 strokes each visit. (+25)

Almost new and still squeaky clean!

2-4    3/24/2010   3/24/2010
Review By: Lewis
Pros: As others have said, the people who installed this course got all the smaller details right, from the accurate, legible signs at every hole, to the well-installed dual concrete pads that point in the right direction on every hole (so many courses get this wrong), to the sturdy park benches throughout. There's also a great practice basket between the parking lot and Hole #1, with brick tiles clearly marking 10', 15', 20', 25', and 30' on all four sides. I've yet to see a better place to warm up your putting, and I doubt I will. It's obvious that Gwinett County cared enough to put the course in right. Even if this isn't your favorite setting or layout, you should at least agree that the money and effort they've invested in installing the hardware right the first time is a good example for other parks departments to follow.

It's also nice to see a definite distinction in difficulty between the red and blue tees. If you're a beginner or a "noodle arm," you may have more fun from the red. Most others will probably prefer the blue tees. Nearly all of the baskets have been in the "long" pin placements when I've played, which significantly adds to the challenge on many of the holes.

This course is much prettier now than it was a year ago or more when it was installed, which I suspect was when the photos on this site were taken. They don't do it justice in its current condition, and I expect it will be even prettier in the Spring.

Most of the holes on this course are fairly "straight" fairways, but only the four or five wide open holes are completely straight, and they will grow more challenging with the maturation of the young trees. None of the holes are major doglegs, but it does take some touch from the tee pad to get in position for your birdie. I like the variety of ways you can get to the basket. Players with a variety of shots in their arsenal will be rewarded.
Cons: The property that the course is built on is clean and well maintained, but it's not the ideal setting for disc golf. There are places where you worry about throwing into the footpaths, and while the designers did their best to incorporate the available woods, there are too many holes that have you throwing a "field goal" through a couple of trees, out into the wide open. I'm not saying the course was poorly designed, just that the space has limited potential. High-end players might find the course a little boring.

If your bladder fills up during your round, you have three choices: walk a quarter mile or more back to the park facilities, cross your legs and offer the suffering up to God, or take the risk of being seen by the trail walkers. There's literally nowhere on this course where you can safely hide your front side from sight when you need to answer nature's call. Well, maybe behind the pond on 17, but by then you might as well hold it for one more hole.
Other Thoughts: Beware of the wind! Locals report that Alex is almost always windy. I've played it twice, once in 20+mph gusty madness, and once in a fairly calm, light breeze. Bring your heavy, wind-fighting discs.

This is not a "long" course by any means, but it has a few long holes. About half the course plays 190-250 feet, and the shortage is made up for on the back 9 with 16-18 all playing 440-500+ feet. Those who know how to drive accurately with their putters should expect a lot of birdies through the middle of the course. Players rated much over 900 could probably take or leave this course (notice most of the low reviews have come from "advanced" players). All others should have plenty of fun.

I've only played here in March, so I didn't have any problems with bugs or heat, but if you play here in the Summer you'd better bring your bug repellent, sunscreen, and something to keep you hydrated. There are no creeks or ravines to negotiate, which makes it friendly to parents with small children and strollers.

So Nice, I played it twice!

2-4    3/14/2010   3/15/2010
Review By: slengel82
This review was updated on 8/17/2010
Pros: Nice change in terrain and various hole placements. Some good short holes followed by some wicked long holes. Makes it fun and keeps you entertained. Well manicured and maintained.
Cons: Some of the holes in the beginning are closeby to other holes, resulting in some wait times. A few of the holes were almost too similar in design making it feel a little repetative.
Other Thoughts: Fun course. Will return and play again.

Fungus-like course

5+    4/7/2010   1/6/2010
Review By: Subicon
This review was updated on 7/16/2010
Pros: This course has really grown on me over the last few months. The first four or so times I played here, I was new to the technical side of disc golfing and was greatly discouraged when I kept nailing trees with my discs. However, my game has improved and I've begun to like Alexander.

This course has a good variety of open and wooded holes, so you'll have plenty of opportunities for both bombs and tight, technical shots.

The course is well laid out and easy to navigate. It also has plenty of benches and trash cans.
Cons: One thing I really don't like about this course is all the wood chips in the wooded fairways. Instead of skipping, sometimes your disc will just slam into large wood chunks and stop.

The only other con I can think of is that the course is sometimes quite crowded, which at times will have you waiting at every hole.
Other Thoughts: The area around the pond used to be very messy due to overflow from all the rain we got over the winter. That has been fixed, for the most part, by some recent work on a overflow outlet on the back side of the pond. However, it can still get pretty messy if there has been rainfall in the previous few days.

If you have not put your name and number on your discs, do so before playing this course. There are a few people who regularly collect discs out of the pond. If you have your number on your lost disc, they will call you and try to return it to you. Depending on who it is, they may charge you a small recovery/cleaning fee.

Played 12/21/09

2-4    12/21/2009   12/22/2009
Review By: Kevro79
Pros: I love the setup of this course. Nice open field to start off with, which then leads into some pretty awesome woods shots. Each hole has 2 tee boxes so beginners can get a little closer. The tee boxes are wide which I prefer for a tee box. I love the DisCatcher baskets, they catch my disc well. I like the mix of shots you have to take and the mental aspect the designers added in with the shots through 2 trees.
Cons: A lot of people every time I go. Which is cool because the sport is growing, but can be a little annoying. I also don't like the shot by the lake, although sometimes the hole location is good to stay away from it. I don't want to risk loosing discs. (cheap college kid)
Other Thoughts: I like the course. Very happy to have this addition to the courses in my area.

Nice Course

2-4    10/17/2009   11/17/2009
Review By: I3ooI3oo
Pros: For a new course I must say this one was put in nicely. Two concrete trapezoid pads for each hole are sunken in to the clay. The signs were easy to read and simple to understand. There were brooms on 50% of the holes with broom holders on each of the signs. There is a good mixture of long open holes, tight wooded, hyzer and anhyzer wholes. There is mild elevation changes that come into play also. Holes play into the woods, in the woods, and out of the woods.

There are 2 pin positions that are concreted in. While I only got to play it one weekend and the pins remained the same both days, It was nice to see a young park with multiple pin positions from day one.
Cons: It is a young course, and as such there a some features to the first few hole that need to mature before they will come into play.Until these trees mature, the holes that play in the field are easier than they will be in 2-3 years.
Other Thoughts: From the parking lot it is hard to know where to go. Although looking for the worn in walking trail lead me to hole one. Also there is no notice at the front of the park where the parking lot is for the disc golf course which would be helpful.

Very nice

2-4    10/25/2009   10/26/2009
Review By: MrFixIt
Pros: Nice mix of open and wooded holes.
Concrete tee pads.
Alternate pin positions.
Great baskets.
Trash cans.
Cons: No nearby restroom facilities.
Some tee pads/fairways WAY too close together.
Other Thoughts: Crowded, but not necessarily a bad thing. I saw lots of families out.
This course can do nothing but improve. When the trees mature in the open areas, will be quite challenging.
Very strong club presence.

My Home Course

5+    10/14/2009   10/15/2009
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
This review was updated on 1/20/2012
Pros: Brand new park in Gwinnett County which is known for having great parks. Rolling hills with a pond on previous farmland. Well maintained course; the tee pads have received continuous attention during all of the heavy rain in 2009. Two concrete tee pads on every hole (red/short & blue/long). Half of the holes are in the open with half in the woods.
Cons: Crowds. This course is consistently crowded, even during weekday afternoons you will see several groups playing, with almost every hole being played by a group on weekends & weekday evenings. Still everything seems to flow smoothly and we have never had to wait more than a few minutes to start a round. Players are very courteous with regards to playing through.
Other Thoughts: Rolling elevation changes but mostly minor hills. This is the course where I first played disc golf in Summer 2009 and I play here at least once a week. This park has more than enough space for the 18 holes. My skill level is very low, but even when I am flinging discs all over the place I have never come close to infringing on adjacent holes or anyone on the jogging trails. Very enjoyable place to spend an hour or so throwing a round.

UPDATE 4/14/2010: I am bumping up my rating for this course by a full disc to a solid 4.0. The park/course is immaculately maintained, the basket positions change regularly, and the course always yields a good time and seems fresh even though I play here at least once each week.

Dissappointed

1    10/10/2009   10/13/2009
Review By: Psalman
Pros:
The course was obviously designed, and not an afterthought. The few good holes are going into or out of the woods. There is minor elevation change on several holes.
Cons:
The majority of the course is on an open field with no obstacles. There really isn't enough room for 18 holes. Several of the holes are almost on top of each other. The additional challenge of the woods is severely hindered by the short length.

The course is packed. I had to wait on many holes to play. The congestion prevents being able to play from one tee-box to a different hole to maximize the landscape.
There is now only one pin on every hole.