Lawrenceville, GA
Alexander Park Share
Uploaded By: bk_ching Hole #17 (Taken 4/2011)
Hole #17 Basket to Tee: Position C

So Nice, I played it twice!

2-4    3/14/2010   3/15/2010
Review By: slengel82
This review was updated on 8/17/2010
Pros: Nice change in terrain and various hole placements. Some good short holes followed by some wicked long holes. Makes it fun and keeps you entertained. Well manicured and maintained.
Cons: Some of the holes in the beginning are closeby to other holes, resulting in some wait times. A few of the holes were almost too similar in design making it feel a little repetative.
Other Thoughts: Fun course. Will return and play again.

Fungus-like course

5+    4/7/2010   1/6/2010
Review By: Subicon
This review was updated on 7/16/2010
Pros: This course has really grown on me over the last few months. The first four or so times I played here, I was new to the technical side of disc golfing and was greatly discouraged when I kept nailing trees with my discs. However, my game has improved and I've begun to like Alexander.

This course has a good variety of open and wooded holes, so you'll have plenty of opportunities for both bombs and tight, technical shots.

The course is well laid out and easy to navigate. It also has plenty of benches and trash cans.
Cons: One thing I really don't like about this course is all the wood chips in the wooded fairways. Instead of skipping, sometimes your disc will just slam into large wood chunks and stop.

The only other con I can think of is that the course is sometimes quite crowded, which at times will have you waiting at every hole.
Other Thoughts: The area around the pond used to be very messy due to overflow from all the rain we got over the winter. That has been fixed, for the most part, by some recent work on a overflow outlet on the back side of the pond. However, it can still get pretty messy if there has been rainfall in the previous few days.

If you have not put your name and number on your discs, do so before playing this course. There are a few people who regularly collect discs out of the pond. If you have your number on your lost disc, they will call you and try to return it to you. Depending on who it is, they may charge you a small recovery/cleaning fee.

Played 12/21/09

2-4    12/21/2009   12/22/2009
Review By: Kevro79
Pros: I love the setup of this course. Nice open field to start off with, which then leads into some pretty awesome woods shots. Each hole has 2 tee boxes so beginners can get a little closer. The tee boxes are wide which I prefer for a tee box. I love the DisCatcher baskets, they catch my disc well. I like the mix of shots you have to take and the mental aspect the designers added in with the shots through 2 trees.
Cons: A lot of people every time I go. Which is cool because the sport is growing, but can be a little annoying. I also don't like the shot by the lake, although sometimes the hole location is good to stay away from it. I don't want to risk loosing discs. (cheap college kid)
Other Thoughts: I like the course. Very happy to have this addition to the courses in my area.

Nice Course

2-4    10/17/2009   11/17/2009
Review By: I3ooI3oo
Pros: For a new course I must say this one was put in nicely. Two concrete trapezoid pads for each hole are sunken in to the clay. The signs were easy to read and simple to understand. There were brooms on 50% of the holes with broom holders on each of the signs. There is a good mixture of long open holes, tight wooded, hyzer and anhyzer wholes. There is mild elevation changes that come into play also. Holes play into the woods, in the woods, and out of the woods.

There are 2 pin positions that are concreted in. While I only got to play it one weekend and the pins remained the same both days, It was nice to see a young park with multiple pin positions from day one.
Cons: It is a young course, and as such there a some features to the first few hole that need to mature before they will come into play.Until these trees mature, the holes that play in the field are easier than they will be in 2-3 years.
Other Thoughts: From the parking lot it is hard to know where to go. Although looking for the worn in walking trail lead me to hole one. Also there is no notice at the front of the park where the parking lot is for the disc golf course which would be helpful.

Very nice

2-4    10/25/2009   10/26/2009
Review By: MrFixIt
Pros: Nice mix of open and wooded holes.
Concrete tee pads.
Alternate pin positions.
Great baskets.
Trash cans.
Cons: No nearby restroom facilities.
Some tee pads/fairways WAY too close together.
Other Thoughts: Crowded, but not necessarily a bad thing. I saw lots of families out.
This course can do nothing but improve. When the trees mature in the open areas, will be quite challenging.
Very strong club presence.

My Home Course

5+    10/14/2009   10/15/2009
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
This review was updated on 1/20/2012
Pros: Brand new park in Gwinnett County which is known for having great parks. Rolling hills with a pond on previous farmland. Well maintained course; the tee pads have received continuous attention during all of the heavy rain in 2009. Two concrete tee pads on every hole (red/short & blue/long). Half of the holes are in the open with half in the woods.
Cons: Crowds. This course is consistently crowded, even during weekday afternoons you will see several groups playing, with almost every hole being played by a group on weekends & weekday evenings. Still everything seems to flow smoothly and we have never had to wait more than a few minutes to start a round. Players are very courteous with regards to playing through.
Other Thoughts: Rolling elevation changes but mostly minor hills. This is the course where I first played disc golf in Summer 2009 and I play here at least once a week. This park has more than enough space for the 18 holes. My skill level is very low, but even when I am flinging discs all over the place I have never come close to infringing on adjacent holes or anyone on the jogging trails. Very enjoyable place to spend an hour or so throwing a round.

UPDATE 4/14/2010: I am bumping up my rating for this course by a full disc to a solid 4.0. The park/course is immaculately maintained, the basket positions change regularly, and the course always yields a good time and seems fresh even though I play here at least once each week.

Dissappointed

1    10/10/2009   10/13/2009
Review By: Psalman
Pros:
The course was obviously designed, and not an afterthought. The few good holes are going into or out of the woods. There is minor elevation change on several holes.
Cons:
The majority of the course is on an open field with no obstacles. There really isn't enough room for 18 holes. Several of the holes are almost on top of each other. The additional challenge of the woods is severely hindered by the short length.

The course is packed. I had to wait on many holes to play. The congestion prevents being able to play from one tee-box to a different hole to maximize the landscape.
There is now only one pin on every hole.

Great Course for Gwinnett

5+    9/22/2009   9/23/2009
Review By: Matt
Pros: This course is seriously fun to play. It's located in a nice area too which is a major plus in my book. It has a variety of hole types in the form of several open holes, several mixed holes (open to wooded and vice versa) and a tunnel hole. It has very nice concrete tee-pads and signs, as well as next tee markers and brooms at most of the holes.
Cons: I would have liked to see at least one sharp hyzer hole and one sharp anhyzer hole and maybe have had some of the wooded holes be a little longer and or tighter.
Other Thoughts: There are several very long holes and several very short holes with the remainder being on the shortish side. Having a wide variety of shots helps here, but really, just throwing straight consistently will yield a lot of birdie opportunities. It is very much easier to score low at this course than it is at courses like Roswell, Sandy Creek, and even Redan. However, I don't think that is relevant to the overall fun factor because unless you are shooting 16-18 under at a course there is still a challenge there.

Gorgeous course, a real confidence builder

1    9/9/2009   9/9/2009
Review By: JasonK
This review was updated on 10/20/2009
Pros: Beautiful landscaping & natural beauty. Great mix of open and wooded holes. Well thought out design offers challenges for every level. Pristine condition the day I played. Modern and well-maintained amenities: benches, signs, facilities. Many birdie opportunities. Dual tee positions on each hole, all concrete.
Cons: A fair walk from the parking lot to the tee. Some holes are repetitive. May be too easy for advanced players. Lack of shade on hot days can be killer. Hole 17 should be a Par 3.
Other Thoughts: I've only been golfing for 6 months but this is by far the nicest and most fun course I've played. It was a beautiful fall day and and I got my lowest score so I'm very happy. The landscaping, layout and new amenities made me feel like I was playing at a country club. It's simply gorgeous here and the course is a real confidence builder. One is required to use a wide variety of shots including long drives which are missing at other area courses (E. Roswell anyone?). The wooded holes are great too - many start or end in the woods. The experience at Alexander Park is magnificient. It is clear that the local parks department is intent on making this one of the premiere DG courses in the area. Not to be missed. This is close to as perfect a course as I'd want to play.

Update: After playing this course a few times, I found the back parking lot where the DG'ers park that is much closer to the course. Drive in the main entrance, through the regular parking lot into the "Overflow" lot which brings you within a few hundred feet of the first tee. Much better than walking from the main lot, especially after a full round. Enjoy!

Disappointing

2-4    7/25/2009   7/27/2009
Review By: Redneck Machismo
This review was updated on 10/12/2009
Pros: Course is fairly visually pleasing and fun to play. It is a good course for beginners.
Cons: This course was heavily hyped and is truly very disappointing. The thing not being mentioned is the danger factor on this course. There are many examples such as hole seven which is very easy to miss and could result in someone getting hit hard while walking from six to eight's tee pad across seven's fairway. The tee shot on eighteen could easily hit someone on another tee pad to the left and again it would be a hard hit. This course is not suitable for tournament play for these reasons alone. There is not a single memorable or really good hole. This is just another typical poorly thought out disc golf course that you will find all over the country. I would say anything less than 10 down is a bad score for a good advanced player. I actually think this course plays easier than Lenora.
Other Thoughts: For the life of me I don't understand why course designers won't put their machismo aside and consult better players on their designs. While it isn't impossible it is very rare that bad players design a good course. Mostly we end up with a waste of baskets like this course. Atlanta did not need yet another rec course like this one.