Lawrenceville, GA
Alexander Park Share
Uploaded By: bk_ching Hole #10 (Taken 4/2011)
Hole #10 Basket to Tee: Position B

MY home course

5+    9/9/2010   9/10/2010
Review By: Bakenstine
Pros: __Hole 5 connection!_ (Chillaxation spot before or after hole 5)
-Start with parking... Separated gravel lot in back of park for disc
-Restrooms and water fountains are good, but kinda a hike from anywhere but 1, 2, 3, and 10.
-Pads (paved and pointing at pin), multipin loc., signage and scorecard box, practice basket with marker tiles, benches and trashcans are better than Redan or Lenora, and thats saying alot! It's really the best of both worlds on that count
-Great mix of field, trees, channels, hills, and even a nice curl around a pond for a variety of tricky shots.
-Close proximity to the BEST disc pro shop I've ever been in, DiscStalker at Sugarloaf and Old Snellville in the lil strip mall. Good deals if you look aound, HUGE inventory, rentals, test-drive out back if u ask, and every accessory one could EVER want!
-The course is popular and always has locals to play with or get advice/help finding discs from
-Planted trees will make excellent challenges in a few years when it grows up a lil
-Park crews maintain with vigilance and timeliness
-Baskets are changed regularly and with consideration of collective course difficulty

***One of the only courses I could ever rate as perfect, and I have played most courses in North Georgia, as well as several other states.
Cons: *~*There are some CONS, despite my 5 of 5 rating. I feel ANY negative is cancelled out by the vast array of positives. That said:
-Overcrowding.... If you have played Wills Park in Alpharetta, then you know how bad it can get trying to play against the Sunset clock. This park is at least 5 times as crowded at Wills seemingly at all times, and not only the walking paths that can at times be in the way of a windy shot, but the Course itself is more populated than any I have ever been on. This is mostly due to the upper- middle class area it is in, and the many MANY teenage players that can buy a disc and go play both within a mile of their house... Go figure!
-On top the of overpopulation issue, COURSE ETTIQUITE is a lost art in disc golf these days. I admit, I played ball golf long before I started disc so I am biased on courtesy, but nearly nobody on this course will let you play through without badgering, and the simple things such as playing with urgency when the whole course is taken up with 19+ groups. Sadly, along with chivalry, ettiquite appears to be long dead. Just shout ahead to a slow group and demand that they let u play though, and it tends to work.
-Separate from the issue of playing through, many kids, couples (often with stroller AND dog), and large groups of 6-10 people often 'skip around' and have no reverance for people throwing blind out of the woods. Make sure to BE WARY AT ALL TIMES
Other Thoughts: Notice, Nothing I said about the CONS were about the COURSE, they were all about the population of Gwinnett County that happens to visit this park on the regular

-If you have read this far, and have never been to the course, take into account that I personally played this course as early as January 2009, 6 months before it opened. I played in knee-high, tick-infested grass, without any knowledge of the intended course layout. The baskets were the first things to go in, and the parking lot was the last. Go figure. More to the point, I have seen this course evolve from infancy, and I challenge anyone to point me to a course that is better funded, more cared for, better planned, more conveniently located, more varied (as far as challenging, interesting, and simplified holes goes), with a Lake and a pond, with a separate parking lot, and perfect amount of tee/pin placements. I DARE you!

+If a 3rd 9 holes are actually put in the in overgrown 'expansion/phase II" part of the park, this would truely be a world class course.

A really Georgia peach!

1    8/6/2010   8/12/2010
Review By: Hamilton
Pros: I cannot begin to describe how nice and well-kept this park is. The facilities, even if a little far from the actual course are great. Nice bathrooms, playground, walking trails, etc.

The course is just over a year old, and the Discatchers are in great shape. Trapezoidal tees are very nice and textured perfectly. Short tees as I remember were rectangular, just as nice as the longs. Tee signs are of excellent quality and very accurate. There is a very nice practice basket just before hole one, with distance markers in the ground at various distances at all four sides of the basket.

There is a very nice mix of open and wooded holes, right and left turning lines, up and down hills. Overall a very good mixture that should cater to just about any taste in hole design. This is certainly not the longest course, but you don't even notice the brevity because the holes are shaped so well.

Multiple tees and basket positions (all very distinct also) will make sure that this course stays fresh and doesn't get boring, as long as they make sure the move the baskets frequently.

My memorable holes:
3 - Up and over a rise, to a basket tucked just into the tree line. In the long position you have to throw 350' and hit a gap between two trees about 200 feet out to be able to fade back for a good lie for a deuce run.
4 - Starting off in the woods, you have to hit a narrow gap about 100 feet away to get into the open. If you don't hit this 30' or so gap, you will be frustrated with a probable bogey.
6 - Starting down a hill in the woods, you have to throw up, and follow a relatively narrow fairway. Be safe and don't go off left or right, as there is no recovery route to speak of.
8 - Plays with the woods on your right, slightly downhill, and curving right, and cuts into the trees about halfway down. Try a neutral midrange and anhyzer just a bit and let it float on down for a two.
10 - Not the most complicated hole, but just begging for a big hyzer fade, as it drops in elevation and the basket is tucked just into the trees with a wide open window on the right side.
14 - Up and over a hill to the left. Go high and fade hard at the end to lay up at the basket just into the tree line.
15 - With the basket in the right position, it is just right for a hard hyzering flick, but the dogleg is kind of long, so parking it might be a very lucky shot.
17 - Basket in the long position, this appears to be the longest hole setup on the course. Straight out about 300 feet, then angle left around the edge of the pond (don't throw high and have your disc fade right into the water like I did). After that, a couple hundred more feet down a tree lined alley, with the basket tucked into a stand of trees.
Cons: Not many at all, and nothing very significant.

Could use a paved parking lot for DG like the other areas of the park, but I'm sure that will be coming. The existing gravel lot is not too bad. I also had a little confusion on where the course was in the park, but just following the road around led me to it.

The first two holes I don't really want to call "filler holes", but the foliage really hasn't grown up yet, and they seem pretty straight and easy.

In some of the wooded areas you have to be careful since some holes play close to a walking path that goes through the woods.

I can't really think of anything else!
Other Thoughts: My rating of a 4 shows the awesomeness of this course, only being detracted by some in-development issues, and the fact that you start with a couple very simplistic holes. Otherwise, this is a GREAT course. It will satisfy every DG personality I believe with its variety and beauty. I have rarely seen such well-done tee pads, signs, baskets, basket mounts, etc. This was a SOLIDLY designed and executed course!

If you are in the Atlanta area, you must play this course. I don't care if you have to go an hour out of your way, do not miss this one!

Nice New Course

5+    6/27/2010   6/27/2010
Review By: punahou80
This review was updated on 1/7/2011
Pros: This is a very good course for beginners and intermediate players. Lots of shorter holes and mix of wooded /open holes. One huge bonus is the best "bricks and mortar" disc golf store I've ever seen around the corner ("Discstalker"). Hundreds and hundreds of discs and they even rent them. Sweet!

Two sets of concrete tee pads, alternate tee placements, a nice practice tee setup and a little separation from the rest of the park are very nice touches. Somebody (probably a LOT of people) have done a very nice job of installing and maintaining this course
Cons: Very "new" park. Open holes have been placed on graded land so it will take a few years for the course to grow in. Gwinnett Co. traffic is terrible so I'll be limited to weekend mornings.

Course is likely too tame for Pros and experienced Ams.
Other Thoughts: This course is great for practice. Work on your drives, approach shots, putting and wooded path throws. It's been windy when I played and you really get to test up/down/cross wind approaches and putts.

Really fun to play in the Fall/Winter when the leaves are down.

Home course

5+    4/19/2010   4/20/2010
Review By: Pro-Am
Pros: Multiple concrete tee pads
Great pin locations
Excellent tee signs
Innova baskets
Challenging holes 3, 4, 7 and 17
Friendly people and atmosphere
Nice scenery on old farmland
Well maintained
Cons: Getting to the additional gravel parking lot can be a pain since the paved parking is crowded and tight
Nearest restroom to course about 1/2 mile
Layout of tee's 12 and 18 ridiculously dangerous
Finish 17 to walk through 15 to get to 18?
Other Thoughts: This is my home course. And after playing this course regularly for quite some time I have grown to like it a lot. It is one of my top 5. With some fine tuning and maturing of the landscape it will only get better.

Top of the Line

2-4    4/10/2010   4/14/2010
Review By: maynes35
Pros: My wife and I played this together and we both loved it. As you walk in you see the practice basket which has brick markers for several distances and goes all the way around so muliple people can be putting at once (probably the best practice set up I've seen). It has concrete tee boxes for both tee positions (which is a change because usually my wife gets a crappy tee box when she plays at the short tee). Hole #1 is wide open which I like because I don't always get to warm up, and it is nice to just let the first one fly without much of a problem. There is a nice mix of open holes and wooded holes. There are a few pretty long holes and a couple shorter holes. It is well maintained and it appears it will be cared for as it gets older. There is only one spot that you can actually lose your disc in water. The course set up flows pretty well and it is easy to find the next tee box. For a newer players and decent players, this course is great. I'm sure some pro players don't like the open holes, but it is nice to miss a tree if you're in a funk. I love this course and when I visit GA again I'll be stopping by!
Cons: I really don't have any. When the bushes and trees grow more in the "open" areas it will be great. Sometimes we had to think about the distance and which basket was ours.
Other Thoughts: I was unsure of a 4.0 or a 4.5, but when the trees/bushes grow up a little more on the front, this course will really be superb. Great place to go and play.

Alexander Park

1    3/24/2010   3/25/2010
Review By: disc_jockey
Pros: on a nice sunny day, this course is 5 star and very well designed!!!
enjoyable for beginners and advanced players alike. excellent place to bring your friends and pet dogs.
Cons: avoid rush hour traffic
Other Thoughts: will be playing this course all year long, and hope to improve by 5 strokes each visit. (+25)

Almost new and still squeaky clean!

2-4    3/24/2010   3/24/2010
Review By: Lewis
Pros: As others have said, the people who installed this course got all the smaller details right, from the accurate, legible signs at every hole, to the well-installed dual concrete pads that point in the right direction on every hole (so many courses get this wrong), to the sturdy park benches throughout. There's also a great practice basket between the parking lot and Hole #1, with brick tiles clearly marking 10', 15', 20', 25', and 30' on all four sides. I've yet to see a better place to warm up your putting, and I doubt I will. It's obvious that Gwinett County cared enough to put the course in right. Even if this isn't your favorite setting or layout, you should at least agree that the money and effort they've invested in installing the hardware right the first time is a good example for other parks departments to follow.

It's also nice to see a definite distinction in difficulty between the red and blue tees. If you're a beginner or a "noodle arm," you may have more fun from the red. Most others will probably prefer the blue tees. Nearly all of the baskets have been in the "long" pin placements when I've played, which significantly adds to the challenge on many of the holes.

This course is much prettier now than it was a year ago or more when it was installed, which I suspect was when the photos on this site were taken. They don't do it justice in its current condition, and I expect it will be even prettier in the Spring.

Most of the holes on this course are fairly "straight" fairways, but only the four or five wide open holes are completely straight, and they will grow more challenging with the maturation of the young trees. None of the holes are major doglegs, but it does take some touch from the tee pad to get in position for your birdie. I like the variety of ways you can get to the basket. Players with a variety of shots in their arsenal will be rewarded.
Cons: The property that the course is built on is clean and well maintained, but it's not the ideal setting for disc golf. There are places where you worry about throwing into the footpaths, and while the designers did their best to incorporate the available woods, there are too many holes that have you throwing a "field goal" through a couple of trees, out into the wide open. I'm not saying the course was poorly designed, just that the space has limited potential. High-end players might find the course a little boring.

If your bladder fills up during your round, you have three choices: walk a quarter mile or more back to the park facilities, cross your legs and offer the suffering up to God, or take the risk of being seen by the trail walkers. There's literally nowhere on this course where you can safely hide your front side from sight when you need to answer nature's call. Well, maybe behind the pond on 17, but by then you might as well hold it for one more hole.
Other Thoughts: Beware of the wind! Locals report that Alex is almost always windy. I've played it twice, once in 20+mph gusty madness, and once in a fairly calm, light breeze. Bring your heavy, wind-fighting discs.

This is not a "long" course by any means, but it has a few long holes. About half the course plays 190-250 feet, and the shortage is made up for on the back 9 with 16-18 all playing 440-500+ feet. Those who know how to drive accurately with their putters should expect a lot of birdies through the middle of the course. Players rated much over 900 could probably take or leave this course (notice most of the low reviews have come from "advanced" players). All others should have plenty of fun.

I've only played here in March, so I didn't have any problems with bugs or heat, but if you play here in the Summer you'd better bring your bug repellent, sunscreen, and something to keep you hydrated. There are no creeks or ravines to negotiate, which makes it friendly to parents with small children and strollers.

So Nice, I played it twice!

2-4    3/14/2010   3/15/2010
Review By: slengel82
This review was updated on 8/17/2010
Pros: Nice change in terrain and various hole placements. Some good short holes followed by some wicked long holes. Makes it fun and keeps you entertained. Well manicured and maintained.
Cons: Some of the holes in the beginning are closeby to other holes, resulting in some wait times. A few of the holes were almost too similar in design making it feel a little repetative.
Other Thoughts: Fun course. Will return and play again.

Fungus-like course

5+    4/7/2010   1/6/2010
Review By: Subicon
This review was updated on 7/16/2010
Pros: This course has really grown on me over the last few months. The first four or so times I played here, I was new to the technical side of disc golfing and was greatly discouraged when I kept nailing trees with my discs. However, my game has improved and I've begun to like Alexander.

This course has a good variety of open and wooded holes, so you'll have plenty of opportunities for both bombs and tight, technical shots.

The course is well laid out and easy to navigate. It also has plenty of benches and trash cans.
Cons: One thing I really don't like about this course is all the wood chips in the wooded fairways. Instead of skipping, sometimes your disc will just slam into large wood chunks and stop.

The only other con I can think of is that the course is sometimes quite crowded, which at times will have you waiting at every hole.
Other Thoughts: The area around the pond used to be very messy due to overflow from all the rain we got over the winter. That has been fixed, for the most part, by some recent work on a overflow outlet on the back side of the pond. However, it can still get pretty messy if there has been rainfall in the previous few days.

If you have not put your name and number on your discs, do so before playing this course. There are a few people who regularly collect discs out of the pond. If you have your number on your lost disc, they will call you and try to return it to you. Depending on who it is, they may charge you a small recovery/cleaning fee.

Played 12/21/09

2-4    12/21/2009   12/22/2009
Review By: Kevro79
Pros: I love the setup of this course. Nice open field to start off with, which then leads into some pretty awesome woods shots. Each hole has 2 tee boxes so beginners can get a little closer. The tee boxes are wide which I prefer for a tee box. I love the DisCatcher baskets, they catch my disc well. I like the mix of shots you have to take and the mental aspect the designers added in with the shots through 2 trees.
Cons: A lot of people every time I go. Which is cool because the sport is growing, but can be a little annoying. I also don't like the shot by the lake, although sometimes the hole location is good to stay away from it. I don't want to risk loosing discs. (cheap college kid)
Other Thoughts: I like the course. Very happy to have this addition to the courses in my area.