Crown Point, IN
Lemon Lake County Park - White Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #8 (Taken 5/2012)

below average

1    10/19/2009   10/21/2009
Review By: discNDav
Pros: The white course is one of four at Lemon Lake, that in itself is something to say.

The white baskets were easy to spot, very unique. The bathtub hole is something I'd never seen before on a course.

Cons: Compared to the other courses at LL this one just doesn't cut it. The tee pads are varied in type, such as cement, rubber, blocks or dirt. Some of the tight fairways just are not very fair. #16 is a joke, simply a bad hole.

The long walk between 1 and 2 and then 2 to 3. Print a map or you'll be lost, the rest of the course did have next tee signs.

Hole 2 was rather wet even though it was in a grassy field.
Other Thoughts: A few holes have severe elevation changes yet are too crammed close together...4 thru 8. Several baskets can't be seen from the tee, surprsing considering this is a beginner course.

I can't envision the pro's playing this course in the 2010 Worlds.With much better courses in the same park, go play red, blue or silver/gold if you are not a beginner golfer.

C+ = Too much of too little

1    8/2/2009   9/2/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 18 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C+
(There are many wooded holes that will knock your birdie/ace run down and turn a deuce into a par, but the holes are not long enough to turn anything into a bogey 4 by making recovery hard/impossible.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == C-
(The course is too short to make birdies feel rewarding. Other than 2-3 holes I fully expect a deuce....not that I will get them all, but parking them holds no exhilaration.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B+
(Lots of shots required. Quite a technical course!)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B-
(Overall it is quite nice. It loses points since a lot of holes play around ball fields. Also, holes 1 & 18 are in the wide open with roads and parking lots all around. This course would be MUCH better if those 2 holes were near the rest of the course and you had to park in one of the more remote parking lots so you would start and finish there.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (149 18-hole, 91 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.