Crown Point, IN
Lemon Lake County Park - White Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #17 (Taken 5/2012)
3 / 229ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

1 2 3 Next >
 White Course

5+    9/3/2009   9/15/2009
Review By: Bart
Pros: Beginner friendly course that is tight and technical. Although all the holes are dueceable I have not heard of any 18 unders. Best score I've heard has been a 15 and that was in doubles.
Cons: It is not done yet.
Other Thoughts: This course was opened in April of 2009. I had the pleasure to be one of the design team. This was the 4th course we installed at Lemon Lake and we were mandated by the parks department to A) make this a beginner friendly course and B) start the course and end the course by what will one day be the pro shop.

This course is the most popular course of the four found at Lemon Lake for our growing number of local beginners. As the course is only 6 months old it is still a work in progress. We've added signage and all concrete teepads and I've personally removed all the poison ivy I could find (I don't react to the stuff). We have longer tees/pin placements either in the ground or in the works for almost every hole. Hole 1 and 18 will be getting landscaping makeovers in the near future. The area these 2 holes share was a wooded scrubland that the parks department cleared for the install. We are discussing the landscape design that will finalize these 2 holes.

I use this course to polish my mid-range game. If my time is limited I can get a pretty quick 18 holes in and be on my way. Check out the videos link for a peek at some of the course.

C+ = Too much of too little

1    8/2/2009   9/2/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 18 hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C+
(There are many wooded holes that will knock your birdie/ace run down and turn a deuce into a par, but the holes are not long enough to turn anything into a bogey 4 by making recovery hard/impossible.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == C-
(The course is too short to make birdies feel rewarding. Other than 2-3 holes I fully expect a deuce....not that I will get them all, but parking them holds no exhilaration.)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B+
(Lots of shots required. Quite a technical course!)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B-
(Overall it is quite nice. It loses points since a lot of holes play around ball fields. Also, holes 1 & 18 are in the wide open with roads and parking lots all around. This course would be MUCH better if those 2 holes were near the rest of the course and you had to park in one of the more remote parking lots so you would start and finish there.)

5) Bonus points for multi-throw holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (149 18-hole, 91 9-hole as of late 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

update

1    7/19/2009   7/19/2009
Review By: airspuds
Pros: cement tees almost done but playable
Cons: better directions needed to go from 16 basket to 17 tee
Other Thoughts: hole 2 basket needs to be elevated and a wall or hedge of some sort around the 30 ft circle area

hole 1 basket should go across the road

other wise nice course

or at least rope off/paint some ob

Built for Newbs, Good for All

1    6/20/2009   6/28/2009
Review By: Texconsinite
Pros: The Newest of the four courses at Lemon Lake is designed specifically for beginners, and those with less D.

However, thats not the same as saying its easy or not fun. Quite the opposite.
The tee pads are a mix between rubber and concrete, with one or two grass ones still. However, they are planning on pouring concrete for all the pads, and have the molds ready to go at the tees they havent done yet.

The tee signs (up on most of the holes) are the usual for Lemon Lake, hole map and distance, printed on that plastic cardboard stuff. Good maps, ok distances, but easy to replace and update as holes change and evolve.

This course has a wonderful variety of short, but very wonderful technical holes. Many blind baskets off the tee, and many tight fairways with ceilings.

This course has several really cool holes on it, and makes especially good use of a ravine in the woods on three holes, two playing across it, one playing alongside it. The ravine has a tiny trickle running through it, not enough to worry about it eating discs though.

This course is full of holes less than 300 ft. Quite a few of them keep big arms honest with ceilings and tight curves, including a mean 200 ft sharp left curve that makes pros and ams alike sweat (my cohorts, all superior players, took 4's, my lefty sidearm magic parked it for 2). Many of the holes at least force accuracy off the tee, with fairly punishing shrub shule. Waht few holes have no trees in play (1, 2 & 4), bring terrain into play, with hill baskets that add the danger of rollaways.

Also realize, as one of the course designers (who joined us for a round) explained, jsut because this is a beginner course doesnt mean its full of beginner holes. Hole 17 is a 300 ft beast through the woods, a downhill tunnel, with abrupt curve right. Quite difficult, probably the signature hole, though many on this course are pretty cool, so that's a tough call after only one round.

A joy to play, even if you dont bust out the big drivers much, you WILL have to have a good mid game to do well on this course. Though I shot under par, I really enjoyed the experience, and would play this one again in a heartbeat, especially once its a little older.

PS, OFFICIAL COURSE RULE- If you land in the bathtub off the tee, everyone else in your group has to buy you a beer. Yes, I did say bathtub, and you'll know it when you see it.
Cons: This course is still pretty rough in places, as it is brand new, and many of hte cons stem from there. Some of the teepads were a bit soggy, as we played the day after several inches of rain. Also, the rubber mats are not the best at times, and we longed for concrete on all the holes, as well as teesigns.

Even the tee signs that were there, some didnt seem extremely accurate, mainly in the distance department, since they changed the pin location btween when the signs were made and when pins went in.

One or two of the open holes (holes 1 & 2 in particular) are quite vanilla, not too long, seem kinda like filler holes on an otherwise solid course. More ravine, less vanilla, I say!!

The drainage o nthis course is ok, but several fairways were soggy in points. Of the 4 courses, this one probably rates 3rd best in drainage, better than blue, but not quite as good as red or silver. So, if you plan on playing Lemon Lake after a rain, wear Goretex on the White course, or pick one of the other courses. A few rubber mats were under a bit of water.

Also, some of the shule shrubs here can hide discs quite well, so a spotter is not a bad idea.

Some of the ravine holes were downright treacherous with slick mud, so there are place where terraces are needed for safety as well as erosion, IMO.

However, these are things that will happen with time, as the parks dept here is committed to work hand in hand with the local DG club to make these courses amazing, and keep them that way. Do your part to maintain this special relationship when you visit here by keeping this course clean and leaving the trees in the ground.
Other Thoughts: Though this is the shortest and easiest course at Lemon Lake, it has some very cool holes in it, and is interesting and fun for players of all skill levels. I played these courses with two very skilled 20+ year DG veterans, and one of them liked this course the best of the four, for its tightly wooded technical challenges. I liked it 3rd best of the four.

I realize this course is in a rough state now because this and silver course were both built in less than 2 yrs, and White is brand spankin new. When this course is ready to go for Worlds, it will be a 4.0, no doubt in my mind

1 2 3 Next >