La Mirada, CA
La Mirada Regional Park - Back 18 Share
Uploaded By: snappyfingers Hole #9 (Taken 6/2012)

A full day of disc golf awaits

1    7/1/2000   7/14/2014
Review By: nwdiscgolfer
Pros: 2 full 18 hole courses onsite. Beautiful rolling green fairways, concrete tee pads, excellent local golf scene. Variety of shots and distance requirements multiple basket positions on every hole. Relatively dedicated disc golf with few park goers on the back 18
Cons: Some of the holes on this side are to close to street and just ask for trouble. Definitely an advanced players side do to those few holes.
Other Thoughts: Take a lunch break and come back for the front 18, what more can you ask for.

Catch you on the Backside

5+    4/12/2014   5/20/2014
Review By: The_Warwolf
Pros: The front 9 on the backside of LaMa is some of my favorite SoCal golf. There are plenty of elevation changes, trees to challenge your lines, and distance to challenge your arm. It flows smoothly and is very well maintained. In general I think the majority of the Backside at LaMa is a more picturesque than most courses.

I like that the backside is more secluded than the front. There's never really a crowd so often I can throw my entire bag on quite a few baskets.

The proshop is great and has a good disc selection (when they get new shipments in). There are facilities readily available.
Cons: They changed the layout by removing the original holes 1 and 2 and splitting a couple of the longer holes in half. I think 5 and 15 might be the ones they cut in half.

I understand why this had to be done for safety reasons (children's playground near basket 2), so it's not that much of a con.

If you're someone who can throw a par or +1 or +2 you'll be alright, but if you're somewhat new or don't quite have control of your shots then a few holes are going to present very challenging approaches. You may end up throwing into a crowded parking or a street. These are holes even a seasoned golfer knows can be trouble.

I'm not the biggest fan of the new 15 which plays just beyond the softball field fence because there's a lot of ball players and cars. The hole itself is easy, but it's a very busy area.
Other Thoughts: This course is definitely worth the visit. If you have a full day, or can jam through in a half day, playing all 36 at LaMa is well worth it.

Excellent course!!

5+    9/17/2013   9/23/2013
Review By: tommyUnitas
This review was updated on 9/24/2013
Pros: Excellent hole variations!! Variety of shots needed. Makes for some challenging rounds. Some elevation changes, lots of shade and grass. Cool locals. Drinking water and restrooms available, as well as a pro-shop. Some nice tunnel/hallway type shots. I enjoy bird-watching, and see a lot out there (swallows, woodpeckers, black phoebes, doves, orioles, forktailed flycatchers, robins and who knows what else). All baskets and tee pads are in good shape. Hole markers with nice hole diagram at each tee box. Easy layout to follow.
Cons: No longer any par 4's. A few holes play near a parking lot, so errant shots could hit cars. I've stepped in a few squirrel holes and almost turned my ankle, good thing I wear high top hiking shoes.
Other Thoughts: I play here all the time, and I love it. They've recently moved a few tee boxes away from sidewalks, evidently for the safety of pedestrians. Holes 1 and 2 no longer exist. We now start on what used to be hole #3. 1 and 2 have been replaced by splitting the old par four 7th into two par 3's and same with the old par four 15th. The back 18 is much less crowded than the lakeside 18. There's long holes and a few short holes, maybe an ace waiting to happen? I rarely start on hole 1, usually warming up on the back 9 with my start and finish being there. This course is always worth playing!!!

1    6/5/2013   6/5/2013
Review By: astomps
Pros: +holes 2,4,5,6,7,11,15
+several long holes
+several blind shots
+good variety of open shots, tunnel shots, shots around trees
+good use of OB
+pro shop
Cons: -some danger with shots near street
-par info on signs is wrong
-non-discgolfers all around
Other Thoughts: if I had to choose one to play, I'd pick back 18 just because of the increase in distance and difficulty.

Grass Roots

1    3/11/2013   3/23/2013
Review By: canyonlakediscgofer
Pros: varying lengths, right and left turns, changes in elevation, and overhead obsticles, all create a game equalling challenge
Cons: crowded
Other Thoughts: 26 years ago I stumbled upon La Mirada Regionals DGC. I attempted a fewholes with a Whamo freestyle disc. For the first time in 26 years I went back to where I first laid eyes on a disc golf chains set. A grass roots sort of Holy Land for me now. Played a good round. Had a blast!

Same day : December cold day

1    12/29/2012   1/25/2013
Review By: HarrMarc
Pros: Pros: Awesome layout
Great use of the minimal elevation comared to the front 18
Great mix of long and short holes and mandatories that makes it much more challenging.
Cons: Cons: -Just the muddiness o and -It is easy to get confused on where the next tee-pad/pin is from time to time. Playing from hole 5 to 6 I got confused as to which pin I was supposed to shoot at since there were a number of baskets around and I couldn't see any numbers.

A gigantic playground

1    1/2/2013   1/4/2013
Review By: nuttinbutchain
Pros: -Pretty much most of the pros from my review of the Front 18 apply here as well; great scenery, lots of elevation, interesting use of tree lines, well manicured, etc...
-less busy than the Front 18
-this is where Avery Jenkins filmed his "Deep in the Game" vids which you can find here:
Cons: -Just the muddiness
Other Thoughts: Much less crowded with parkgoers, but felt longer than the front 18. I more or less like the Front and Back 18 equally. Too many holes played this day to point out some specific ones, but Hole 11 stuck out in my mind. Its the narrowest strip of land that I've seen a disc golf hole on and I like it alot. Its a thin strip of land with the street on the left and the parking lot on the right. If you've never been here, try to set aside the day to play both the front and back 18...you won't regret it!

1    12/30/2012   1/2/2013
Review By: Harvy B.
Pros: -Set up in a gorgeous manicured park
-The layout had a little bit of everything, shots to the right, shots to left, as well as short and long shots.
-The elevation changes were awesome. Hole one is a nice downhill shot, hole 2 was a tricky uphill shot with a mando, hole three was hilly to flat, etc...
-This is the first course I've been to with a pro-shop, I though that was pretty cool.
-Short walks between pins and pads.
-Friendly locals
-lots of tree's that enhance play not just a bunch of overgrown disc thieves.
-Great set-up
-All concrete pads
Cons: -It is easy to get confused on where the next tee-pad/pin is from time to time. Playing from hole 5 to 6 I got confused as to which pin I was supposed to shoot at since there were a number of baskets around and I couldn't see any numbers. The placard didn't help much because it was facing the wrong direction, but luckily some locals helped me out though.
-Be careful when you tee off on 1, 2, and 3 especially because you end up throwing right next to another tee-pad.
-It was super muddy on the day I was there, I almost fell a number of times on my upshots.
Other Thoughts: Great course, I only had time to play one round (I also had my wife, daughter, and father-in-law in tow which detracted a little bit) and I would have loved a few more trips around. I'm hoping to be able to make it back and try the front 18 soon. Do yourself a favor though either print off a course map before you go or pay the 25 cents to get one at the pro shop it will make your first round a little more relaxing (I wish I had done that).

Ballin' Back 18

1    12/2/2011   12/3/2011
Review By: elton807
Pros: Absolutely maximized course layout for space available, if not a bit tight at times. Nice and mild elevation changes, with a fair amount of sidehill lies as well. I absolutely loved and was blown away by hole #11, which I have dubbed "The Janokowski Hole". Not just because I'm a Raiders fan, and #11 is Jano's number, but the drive is literally like trying to hit a 64yd field goal and keep it between the hashmarks. The #11 hole layout borderlines between: mad-genius, crazy ballsy & utterly stupid. How many drives have been chucked directly into oncoming traffic here??
Cons: Some blind drives had me aiming at the wrong baskets. #3 sign is missing. Could have a few more anhyser drives.
Other Thoughts: Comparing the Front 18 to Back 18:
Well, I did my best to play and review the Back as its own course, but it's near impossible not to consider the Front during the round. Both courses are immaculately maintained, and while the Front is definitely hillier, it doesn't have some of the the sidehill effects of the Back. A couple of things I liked about the Back vs Front are: less morning dew on the grass (presumably due to lack of lake in the middle), denser amount of trees (holes 4-9), and the incomparable hole #11. Overall, tho, it's really no comparison; the Front is more epic than the Back!
==================
Uniqueness: A- (for a course that surrounds some softball fields, it's done VERY well)
Difficulty: A- (mild elevation changes; great amount and use of trees; lots of OB)
Fun Factor: A- (some really nice approach shots on #4, #5, #9, #18)
Aesthetics: A- (perfectly maintained; parking lots & softball fences provide OB, but take away from beauty)
----------------------
Overall: A-

One of my Favorites

1    6/23/2011   7/4/2011
Review By: traumadiver
Pros: Easy to follow
Good variety of shots
Less crowded than the Front 18
Cons: Hole 6 is a little soggy sometimes
A few holes play really close to the street
Other Thoughts: I love this course and play it as often as I can. I come here pretty often and play night golf with my buddies using glow sticks to light the baskets... Just dont be suprised when someone steals a glow stick from one of the holes along the street

Also, hole 7 is listed at 700 feet and is a par 4 and the 18th is also a par 4 per the local club