La Mirada, CA
La Mirada Regional Park - Back 18 Share
Uploaded By: Apothecary Hole #1 (Taken 10/2009)

fun times

1    4/29/2011   4/30/2011
Review By: arcechris21
Pros: -NO BIG CROWDS.
-Great use of the landscape.
-Restrooms are in great loactions.
-Nice and shady.
Cons: -Map is a little hard to understand and cost 25 cents.
-Pro shop had a poor selection(but its might just be waiting for a shipment of discs).
-Some holes are a little close to the street.
Other Thoughts: I really like the back 18 because i felt like i was really able to let loose and play the game with my friends without having to yell "FORE" every throw. The other players were nice and helpful. I the fact that you could kinda play your own course with placement of the tee and there holes. All I can't wait to go again!

The Back 18

5+    2/18/2011   2/18/2011
Review By: DocHaole
Pros: The back 18 shares many of the same pros of the front including:

- Moderate elevation changes throughout.

- Well maintained grassy terrain with mature trees

- A great mix of holes with tight shot holes, a few tricky mandos a handful of long bombs mixed in.

- Alternate pin placements on several holes, however not as many as on the front.

- Tee signs throughout with red tape indicating the current pin position.

- Crowds are always lighter on the back 18. If you are in a hurry and the front is busy, the back is your best bet to get quality disc golf in less time.
Cons: Navigation is a serious issue here as many of the baskets have the wrong numbers on them.

Some of the holes play dangerously close to the road. Holes 11-15 play in a tight area bordering the road and the parking lot. These holes offer the risk of OB to make it interesting however also a good chance of hitting cars for a lot of players.

Also the ground can get really soggy, especially around the 18th tee pad. It can be really muddy for days after it rains.
Other Thoughts: The biggest problem with this course is that it gets compared to the Front 18. It is a solid course with a great deal of challenge and variety but it just falls short on the wow factor.

This course is a great alternative to the front on busy days. But the fact of the matter is that more people are on the front because the front is more fun. It is definitely worth your time if you are visiting but it probably won't impress like the front.

Bliss turns into tragedy

2-4    9/18/2010   9/23/2010
Review By: puckdevil8
Pros: The holes are quite challenging and one massive dogleg with trees and everything. I love it.
Cons: Not nearly as good as the front 18. In fact, once you get to the last 9 holes of this side...you can sometimes get lost in just trying to figure out where the pin is. I mean the baskets are not even numbered correctly on most of the final 10 holes....
Other Thoughts: Wish it were a little more like the front 18, but I still will play the back for a challenge.

La Mirada Back

1    8/26/2010   9/2/2010
Review By: Jukeshoe
Pros: -La Mirada's back 18 shares many of the characteristics of the Front 18: well-groomed, grassy rolling hills with many mature trees to shape lines and provide obstacles. Mandatories (well-marked red arrows in most cases) force you to take the route the designer intended.
- Decent use of elevation. Nothing drastic but in play throughout.
- Decent mix of long, short, left, right. Generally shorter and slightly more technical than the front 18.
- Detailed signs showing all the pin positions, but do not show the current set-up.
Cons: - Due to the manner in which they water the grass, the ground is soggy in multiple places. Take care not to soak your shoes on otherwise sunny dry days. In places, the wetness creates muddy or slick tee conditions.
- Inconsistent tee pads: some are merely sidewalk with red tape denoting the tee, others are short, slippery concrete that provide sketchy footing at best.
- Plays very close to roads, parking lots, a water park with blaring music, and baseball fields. In general has a very urban feel.
Other Thoughts: - This course made me nervous: random bits of sloshy wet ground out of nowhere, slippery tee pad conditions, throwing through four tight mandos with roadway to the left and parking lot to the right, and throwing alongside a baseball field's infield fence.

Liked it better than the Front

1    5/11/2010   5/14/2010
Review By: ERicJ
Pros:
This course is very much an extension of the "Front" course and shares many of the same features and amenities. The park is beautiful with soft green grass and lots of mature trees. Plenty of elevation in play on this course along with a variety of lefty vs. righty holes. Not quite as many pin positions on the back side as the front but still enough to change up the feel of the course. Fantastic tee signs with tape indicating the current pin position. Awesome locals: I was playing solo and every group I came up to let me play through without me even asking. Restrooms, drinking fountain, and a minimalistic pro-shop on site. Practice basket by the pro-shop.

Special kudos to the local woman who was out cleaning the graffiti off the baskets.
Cons:
Posted distances on the back side were just as far off as the ones on the front. Some of the concrete tee pads on the back side are showing their age with cracks or sunken spots that pool water. The course was pretty soggy when I played. Baskets #11-15 were missing when I played the course.
The locals have a temporary configuration set up which replays some of the holes to make a full round of 18 available. I liked the balance of long vs. short better on the "Back" course vs. the "Front". The birdie holes seems more birdieable and the longer holes more challenging.

Missing Baskets & Navigation Issues Affect My Rating!

1    4/3/2010   4/8/2010
Pros: It's absolutely a lovely green grassy, sprawling park with rolling hills. Maintained very well. Just a wonderful place for a course. Lot's of beautiful old growth trees. The back part of LaMirada seems less crowded than the front making it great for disc golf. The signs are very informative. Tee pads are suitable. Plenty of holes for the big arms to let err Rip. I like the variety - Long holes versus shorter ones.
Cons: Even with the map I had printed out, me (and my wife spotter extraordinaire) were busy always running ahead to find out whether we were playing the right basket or not. It started with the fun # 1 throw. The number on the correct basket read 2. So we started confused, found my way for the middle holes and then somehow missed a few holes at the end. My other major con for me was there wasn't one hole here that really had the "Wow" factor. You know, that hole where you think to yourself, "This is really a great disc golf hole." Lots of OK to good holes but no memorable ones. Not a signature hole in sight!
Other Thoughts: If I'm being frank (Like Simon Cowell so often says) I was really disappointed in the back 18 here. Being in such a lovely park and with the LaMirada mystique, I was expecting more. Number 1 thing that needs to be done to help the first timers with the navigation issues. Secondly, I feel this course could use a slight makeover in it's design. With this wonderful ground, I would think one would be able to design a top flight 18 course.

AUTHORS NOTE: I've been informed by a local that the 4-5 baskets that were removed are still AWOL. The fools that I talked to led me to believe that I had somehow missed them. So I feel better about my course navigating skills (after 31 years and 200+ courses played) and I'm still comfortable with the rating that I bestowed on the Back 18 here.

Not the same

2-4    3/29/2010   4/4/2010
Review By: DuXterra
Pros: Back "18" is nice, with some nice long throws as well as some more technical holes. Less crowded as well as less holes that play near each other.
Cons: There were not 18 holes. I understand this is not the courses fault as its a problem with the town, but still rather strange. Last time I played there was no water park and I remember it being much nicer with out it, longer holes and more trees.
Other Thoughts: I played this course 4 years ago when the course was run by a different person, the water park was not there, and it was a full 18 on the back. I understand that things will change but I feel that this was not a change for the better. The course just isnt the same, its not maintained as well and although its still a great course and I recommend playing it I can no longer say its one of my favorites.

Beautiful, Long, and Challenging

5+    2/7/2010   3/11/2010
Review By: OcDiscGolf
Pros: Multiple Pin positions for every hole that change semi-regulary
Very well manicured grass and hills. I never see mowers out there, but it's always short and never overgrown.
Lots of trees that are very well trimmed and taken care of
Plenty of break spots among the hills and trees
Lots of elevation change, especially Hole # 1 and # 3 which are epic downhill "air it out" shots
Baskets are newer and well maintained
Very creative use of obstacles
Great tee signs
Great Local scene with plenty of friendly people - have never run into a single D-Bag on the back.
Free to play
Cons: One hole that plays to 750+ feet is a bit of an endurance test that seems a bit unnecessary
Only 14 holes on the back due to dispute with the current management and the city. Apparently, too many cars and people were getting hit on a few of the holes that play along the back parking lot.
The "Back Hill" appears to be a hookup spot for High school students as there tends to be questionable trash littered there.
No benches and very few trashcans, 1 bathroom that is questionable at best. I've never been brave enough to venture in. Looks like something out of an after school special.
Several strange mandos that make the holes that much harder. I especially dislike the mando on Hole # 2 - it's already a monster uphill shot, why throw in the mando at that point?
Other Thoughts: The Back 18 at La Mirada is significantly more secluded and less crowded than the Front 18, due to there being limited recreation opportunities for non disc golfers. You won't find picnickers in this section of the park, as there are no facilities for them to use. Many like this feature of the Back 18 vs. the Front 18, but it really isn't as scenic. There are lots of epic downhill shots on the Back 18 though, much more so than the Front.

Big arms will feel more at home in this section of the park, as plenty of the holes play longer than 300 feet, with a few in the 4 to 500 range. The monster hole in the very back of the park seems to play to around 750-800 feet. The backside is heavily favored by locals and seasoned players, more so than the front. There are only a handful of easy birds on the back, while there are plenty on the front.

Signature holes seem to be # 1 and # 3, both of which play down a large hill that drops about 80 feet in elevation. # 1 is a straight shot while # 3 is a massive RHBH hyzer among a few medium sized trees. I really like the Back 18 at LaMa but not as much as the front. It's hard to beat the Lake, island, and bigger trees on the front 18. Also, the pro shop with snacks and discs is located there.

I play with plenty of people who prefer the back primarily due to the fact that there aren't any non-disc golfers back there, with the exception of the baseball field which rarely seems to be in use and the walkway along the first few holes. Overall, this is a fantastic alternate to the Front 18 and if you are there to play the front, don't miss the back as well. However, most players who only want to play 18 are probably better off playing the front. If I had my choice and could only play 18, I'd choose the front every time.

2-4    2/7/2010   2/8/2010
Review By: Mark R
This review was updated on 2/23/2012
Pros: Shares many positive traits with the Front 18 course. Good cement tee pads and great maintenance, with expansive grassy areas that are reminiscent of a top-notch course like Lincoln Ridge. Appears to have new and improved signs in the past year. Rotated pin locations keep things fresh. Palm and cypress trees give an effective California vibe. More elevation changes than ElDo. Has some really nice holes, like 3-7 and 16-18. Trees create some challenging drives, with some very low drives necessary, but also has a couple of crush opportunities. Very cool locals willing to let someone from out-of-state join in.
Cons: A few too many mandys and out-of bounds areas for my taste. As is the case on the front course, the course layout isn't very intuitive (i.e. the fairways aren't obvious when looking at the course from a distance). Fairly crowded course with some slippery wet grass here and there. Holes 12-15 have been removed, making this a 14-Hole course (minus a half a star).
Other Thoughts: One of the best choices for disc golf in SoCal (along with the Front 18), and likely the best in Orange County. Would be rated higher if it was an 18 hole course.

Tough call which is better, the front or the back...

1    1/2/2010   1/3/2010
Review By: Hans
This review was updated on 1/4/2010
Pros: -18 Holes (at least it's supposed to be)
-Free!
- Great variety! Short holes, looooong holes, technical shots, uphill, downhill, everything!
- Much less foot traffic than the front 18
-A great course to just let loose and let those discs fly!
Cons: When I went (1/2/10) there were several holes that had been removed for one reason or another, so I didn't get to play all 18, I believe it was more like 12 or 13. A local said that too many people had been playing in the street or hitting cars in the parking lot and had to remove them. Hopefully they'll be replaced somewhere again to make it a true 18. Even with these holes missing though, it was still beautiful.
-Once again (I mentioned this in my review of the front 18), one group of guys that just couldn't wait to throw.
Other Thoughts: If you look at my review of the front 18, you'll see the one main problem I had, and that was the people. Same thing on this side. There literally couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 groups playing, and the one directly behind us were throwing as soon as we got to where our first drives had landed, sometimes not even waiting that long. Its bad enough to throw at adults, but my 8 year old son was with us (and no, he wasn't slowing us down) and they came very close to hitting us on several occasions without ever hearing a "Fore" or even a "Hey, watch out." I didn't seem to see a lot of signage as to where the next tee was, but there was a sign showing the multiple pin placements and distances. The guides we were with though were very helpful though, and were aware of the missing holes. I'm not sure how long they've been gone, but I really hope they are brought back soon so I can go play again. A great course through and through, and when you combine it with the front 18, this park is a must play!