La Mirada, CA
La Mirada Regional Park - Back 18 Share
Uploaded By: Apothecary Hole #10 (Taken 10/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
A full day of disc golf awaits

1    7/1/2000   7/14/2014
Review By: nwdiscgolfer
Pros: 2 full 18 hole courses onsite. Beautiful rolling green fairways, concrete tee pads, excellent local golf scene. Variety of shots and distance requirements multiple basket positions on every hole. Relatively dedicated disc golf with few park goers on the back 18
Cons: Some of the holes on this side are to close to street and just ask for trouble. Definitely an advanced players side do to those few holes.
Other Thoughts: Take a lunch break and come back for the front 18, what more can you ask for.

Awesome!!

2-4    6/8/2014   6/22/2014
Review By: Azpostal
Pros: Great layout. Good elevation changes. Nice grass and trees.Playing around the lake/pond was very cool.
Cons: First time had trouble finding a teepad, towards the end. Maybe 17 or 18.
Other Thoughts: I wish I lived closer! No course is even in the same league here in Phx area.

Catch you on the Backside

5+    4/12/2014   5/20/2014
Review By: The_Warwolf
Pros: The front 9 on the backside of LaMa is some of my favorite SoCal golf. There are plenty of elevation changes, trees to challenge your lines, and distance to challenge your arm. It flows smoothly and is very well maintained. In general I think the majority of the Backside at LaMa is a more picturesque than most courses.

I like that the backside is more secluded than the front. There's never really a crowd so often I can throw my entire bag on quite a few baskets.

The proshop is great and has a good disc selection (when they get new shipments in). There are facilities readily available.
Cons: They changed the layout by removing the original holes 1 and 2 and splitting a couple of the longer holes in half. I think 5 and 15 might be the ones they cut in half.

I understand why this had to be done for safety reasons (children's playground near basket 2), so it's not that much of a con.

If you're someone who can throw a par or +1 or +2 you'll be alright, but if you're somewhat new or don't quite have control of your shots then a few holes are going to present very challenging approaches. You may end up throwing into a crowded parking or a street. These are holes even a seasoned golfer knows can be trouble.

I'm not the biggest fan of the new 15 which plays just beyond the softball field fence because there's a lot of ball players and cars. The hole itself is easy, but it's a very busy area.
Other Thoughts: This course is definitely worth the visit. If you have a full day, or can jam through in a half day, playing all 36 at LaMa is well worth it.

1    1/11/2014   1/31/2014
Review By: Schanen11
Pros: -Elevation changes add another dimension on many holes
-Wide variety of holes require different types of shots
-Trees add some challenge, especially on holes 7-9.
-Using drains in the fairways as OB markers adds another layer of challenge, especially playing #4 as an "island hole" with the whole right side of the drain down the fairway as OB.
-Usually not as busy as the front course
Cons: -FLOODING. Not as apparent on the back 18 as it is on the front, but under the trees between #3 and #4 fairways often has an inch of standing water.
-Holes 11-14 are a little boring.
-Hole 5 and the hole that wraps around the ball field have been shortened to accomodate the loss of the original #1 and #2. Those holes were the only LONG holes on the course and were fun to play.
-Navigation can be tricky. Bring a map.
-Bathroom between holes 3 and 4 is NEVER open.
Other Thoughts: I enjoy playing this course when the front is jammed up. It's (back 18) not a top notch course but the 2 courses here are definitely among the best in the LA area.

1    11/30/2013   11/30/2013
Review By: saintsfan200
Pros: - Good Use of Elevation
- Trees in play on many holes
- #9 and #16 were my favorites
- Longer holes
- Signs and pads are ok, most holes are easy to find
Cons: - #1 and #2 no longer exist
- While there is good use of the land west of the parking lot/baseball fields, holes #11-15 are fairly weak (Long, open, relatively flat)
Other Thoughts: I'd recommend parking in the lot by the baseball fields off Foster Rd. and starting on #16, then 17, 18, on to 3-10. And skipping 11-15.

Excellent course!!

5+    9/17/2013   9/23/2013
Review By: tommyUnitas
This review was updated on 9/24/2013
Pros: Excellent hole variations!! Variety of shots needed. Makes for some challenging rounds. Some elevation changes, lots of shade and grass. Cool locals. Drinking water and restrooms available, as well as a pro-shop. Some nice tunnel/hallway type shots. I enjoy bird-watching, and see a lot out there (swallows, woodpeckers, black phoebes, doves, orioles, forktailed flycatchers, robins and who knows what else). All baskets and tee pads are in good shape. Hole markers with nice hole diagram at each tee box. Easy layout to follow.
Cons: No longer any par 4's. A few holes play near a parking lot, so errant shots could hit cars. I've stepped in a few squirrel holes and almost turned my ankle, good thing I wear high top hiking shoes.
Other Thoughts: I play here all the time, and I love it. They've recently moved a few tee boxes away from sidewalks, evidently for the safety of pedestrians. Holes 1 and 2 no longer exist. We now start on what used to be hole #3. 1 and 2 have been replaced by splitting the old par four 7th into two par 3's and same with the old par four 15th. The back 18 is much less crowded than the lakeside 18. There's long holes and a few short holes, maybe an ace waiting to happen? I rarely start on hole 1, usually warming up on the back 9 with my start and finish being there. This course is always worth playing!!!

1    6/5/2013   6/5/2013
Review By: astomps
Pros: +holes 2,4,5,6,7,11,15
+several long holes
+several blind shots
+good variety of open shots, tunnel shots, shots around trees
+good use of OB
+pro shop
Cons: -some danger with shots near street
-par info on signs is wrong
-non-discgolfers all around
Other Thoughts: if I had to choose one to play, I'd pick back 18 just because of the increase in distance and difficulty.

Design is a Mixed Bag

1    6/2/2013   6/3/2013
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: The setting is a pretty typical multi-use park with older trees mixed with some open spaces. I like the design on most of the holes here. Tee pads are situated so that you are forced to throw under low-hanging branches or throw a safe shot around that won't give you a look at birdie. There are multiple pin positions on most holes. One hole (#7?) had a A position under 250 feet and a D position over 700 feet. It's rare to have a piece of land that allows for that.

The park has moderate elevation changes, and many holes use these well, particularly when you are forced to throw over a hill but under branches. There are usually multiple lines to the basket of varying risks. On the shorter holes I found myself debating a safter forehand route (I have no distance with my forehand) vs a backhand route that was tighter but would get me to the basket.

Tee pads are concrete (and sometimes are part of the sidewalk, which is also concrete, as sidewalks tend to be), and the tee signs do a good job of showing the various positions.

The park is all grass, which wouldn't be noteworthy in most parts of the country, but it was the only course I played on my Southern California trip that was all grass. It was pretty wet in spots.
Cons: I mentioned that I like the design of most holes. But holes 11 and 12 are really bad. Hole 11 has a 30-foot wide fairway with a parking lot on the right and street on the left. Do you really want people hanging a hyzer out over the parking lot? How is a beginner supposed to play this safely? Hole 12 has a wider fairway but the same general issue. Given the space in the park, it didn't appear that either of these was strictly necessary. Dents in car doors don't build support for disc golf.

Navigation was fine in most places, but I was glad to have the map.
I didn't get to play the front side due to some walkathon that had it closed. Too bad, as I would have liked to have seen the other side. In spite of it being closed, I didn't find the back side too crowded (I only played through two groups).

Grass Roots

1    3/11/2013   3/23/2013
Review By: canyonlakediscgofer
Pros: varying lengths, right and left turns, changes in elevation, and overhead obsticles, all create a game equalling challenge
Cons: crowded
Other Thoughts: 26 years ago I stumbled upon La Mirada Regionals DGC. I attempted a fewholes with a Whamo freestyle disc. For the first time in 26 years I went back to where I first laid eyes on a disc golf chains set. A grass roots sort of Holy Land for me now. Played a good round. Had a blast!

Awesome !!

5+    3/5/2010   3/5/2013
Review By: DonnyO
Pros: Best course in SoCal with 36 holes or the Championship 18 ! Nice Grass through the whole course. Wish there was more tournaments here ! Top rated course with many pin positions !
Cons: Some Mud but getting better with maintenance.
Other Thoughts: Scenic !