Durham, NC
Leigh Farm Park Share
Uploaded By: wogga Hole #12 (Taken 5/2011)
Pro Course: Hole #12 Tee Sign

No Go!

1    9/1/2010   9/4/2010
Review By: Makomyday20
Pros: I liked the elevated basket and a few of the greens.
Cons: I just moved here and have played about six courses in the Raleigh area and this was my least favorite by far. Went with some locals to this course and we had trouble navigating from hole to hole. I think that the course is too compact. Baskets and fairways are too close for my liking. I didn't like the long grass out there. I would wear pants or long socks for some of the shots out in the field area. Unless we played the wrong holes there are too many crap shoots.
Other Thoughts: I realize this course is fairly new so that was considered. If they remove some trees and make the lines cleaner, put up some signs or have maps, and get concrete it would be better. My rating might change to a 3.5. For a North Carolina course I was really disappointed especially when I just played the UNC course right before it. Would rather go to UNC anyday anytime!

Down on the Farm

2-4    6/7/2010   6/29/2009
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 9/9/2014
Pros: Good clear fairways, wooded holes, some unique holes. No heavy underbrush to worry about. Nice discatcher baskets. Fairly smooth hole to hole transitions. Rubber tees were quite manageable. Easy to get to off highway 54. Very serene, quiet course.

*Update* I played from the white tees and it's got a Valley Springs/Renny feel to it. Holes 7-9 use these big hills and provide for some really neat holes. I could bomb off the top of hole #8 all day. Mostly wooded holes that require solid placement to score well.
Cons: After playing both Rec and White layouts, there is still some confusing hole transitions although next tee signs did help when I found them. Some of the Rec tees are less than 10' from the baskets of the prior holes. The Rec layout doesn't have super great variety, pitch and putt straight for the most part. The advanced layout has much better variety in comparison but it can be confusing which basket you are throwing to on a few holes. The rough on the advanced layout is much more punishing than the Rec layout overall. Roar from the highway can be hear during the middle of the course from nearby Hwy 54. Definitely could use more signage although the spray painted rocks here and there helped out even though you felt like you were on a scavenger hunt more than a disc golf course. Tricky to find hole 1. Hang a left out of the parking lot where the first sign for parking is, and hang a right, practically across from parking sign. No benches. Some baskets had rusty chains even though the basket themselves looked new. Hole 5 is a major B word. It uses a little gravel road for the fairway and has just nasty rough on either side, I'm talking junkyard inside a dense pine forest stuff. Fat Albert won't even be able to help you find your disc in that stuff.
Other Thoughts: Weird park, lots of residential houses around. It's a 1 lane road going into the park, parking lot on the left. Favorite hole: hole 17, a straight, slightly down hill 185' with an old tobacco barn directly in front of the tee on the left. Highest quality DG hole: 15. Marginally downhill and to the right with a little dry creek/trench like thing before the basket, neat little steps. This was a fun course and I would love to bump it up to a 3 or a 3.5 but the lack of signs and confusing under construction layout hurts it a bit. Definitely worth a trip, especially if you're in the Durham, Chapel Hill area.

*Update* New Fave hole: Advanced #8, you're on a big, 30-40' hill throwing down at a basket on a pyramid about 300-400' away. It's like a Hornet's Nest hole that ate one of Mario's growth mushrooms.