Naples, NY
Naples Community Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #8 (Taken 6/2009)
3 / 420ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

improved course

1    2/7/2012   2/8/2012
Review By: GrEaTeRNaTeR
This review was updated on 10/9/2012
Pros: volunteers have done a great job clearing out the thick thorns and brush. obstacles have been placed in spots where short challenging game could have been compromised. fairways have been mowed over the years to help with its growth to fill in patches.
Cons: some holes are a little to short. holes 3 and 9 can get a little soggy at times ( trail has been created up left side of fairway 3 to avoid a soggy walk to the basket
Other Thoughts: ive been an anonymous volunteer at this course 4 almost 2 years. having said that, i feel another nine could be added to its already challenging short game. other than that this course is starting to look sweet and its not frustrating when you go off the fairway a little
The pictures could sure use an update to this course. They look nothing like how the course looks now. All the fairways have nice grassy mowed lanes, most brush has been cleared back and still has its short game technical layout. This is not a cheesy 9! and im not just saying that. I would rather play this 9 a couple of times than play some of the poorly maintained 18 hole courses ive played. and for those of you that wanna give at least one good chuck, this course has a 420' fairway with dense woods on either side... so bring your aim!

Good mid practice

5+    8/18/2010   10/29/2010
Review By: justinmd44
Pros: The short and technical nature of this course will test your midrange abilities.
Naples is a beautiful town that now has some disc golf to boot. Not far from the course are beautiful drives, wineries, and scenic hiking trails.
I recommended just bringing a putter, one mid, and one driver (there is one long drive).
Cons: It is only nine holes, and even if they expanded the course the current holes would need to be reconfigured for more length.
Other Thoughts: I use this course to practice my midrange game and get my disc golf fix while visiting the Finger Lakes. This course has helped me learn my buzz, glide, and voodoo (as a driver). It can help your midrange game too.

wish there were 18 here

1    3/24/2010   7/24/2010
Review By: bearat07
Pros: short, technical, beautiful course. a few chances to air out a drive, but not many. it's far enough out of the way to avoid getting too busy
Cons: only 9 holes leave you wanting more variety. course traffic can build up quickly
Other Thoughts: 9 more holes and the rating will go up.

Fun

1    5/22/2010   5/25/2010
Review By: MotoAce51
Pros: The course was very clean and easy to navigate. All of the Tee signs were clear and precise. Each basket was easy to see and find without guessing.
Cons: Only 9 holes, short distances, some areas were not mowed and it was very easy to lose your disc, but most of the area was clear.
Other Thoughts: My fiance and I are new to the area and were really disappointed in the course selection here but when we found this course we had a lot of fun. This is a great course and I hope to see more holes in the future. There was a lot of right hand shots that favored side arm throwers... I cant wait to play here again.

Great Short Course

2-4    4/24/2010   4/24/2010
Review By: cdeane
Pros: Nice tee signs & tee pad markers.
Great for beginers and lots of Ace opportunities for more advanced players, particularly holes 3 4 and 7.
Baskets are in great shape (new course shape!)
Variety of Open shots 1, 3, and 8
Technical wooded shots 2, 4, 5 and 7
Semi open with guarded baskets 6 and 9.
Cons: Many errant shots will be be penalized by retreiving your disc out of thick brambles with thorns aplenty.
There may be a nature trail intertwined with the course, although both times I have been there the place was empty.
Other Thoughts: Both times I played were in April with no leaves the first time and scant new leaves the second. This course may play quite differently in summer and fall.

Hole 2 - a tricky dogleg to the left, but a nice straight shot will leave you positioned to birdie.

Hole 3 - kinda muddy both times I played.

Hole 5 - a challenge to stay long and straight, with trees on both sides.

Hole 6 - I was ready to dub this the signature hole after playing it the first time. I called it " The Graveyard" due to the large amount of tires and orther scrap that lined the hole and part of the fairway. Imagine my surprise when I came back two weeks later and it was all cleaned up! I kinda liked it the way it was.
Dont be fooled by the short holes. I played this course six times on my two visits and was over par on three of those

On the small side, but has a lot of potential

5+    8/28/2009   8/29/2009
Review By: WillACarpenter
This review was updated on 9/15/2009
Pros: This course has a variety of open and wooded holes, this course has a variety of short and long holes. This course is rather young and doesn't have a large following...but that can make it feel like your own private course.

I also like some of the character of many of the holes on this course, there are a few small wooden bridges to throw across, without water below when I've been there, and the trails have a lot of rock in them so they're never too muddy.
Cons: I've only been there on two days, but I think this course probably needs a few more volunteers to help maintain the grounds, a few holes were a bit over grown, and a few signs were hard to find because of growth.

A few of the holes on open fields are a bit too open, not a lot going on, but this is only about 3 holes, two of which are on opposite sides of each other.
Other Thoughts: I like this course a lot, I think it has a TON of potential.

I think that with a little bit of promotion to the community, leading to a bit more popularity...the course could be improved because the extra attention would help out volunteerism and keep the place active.

**UPDATE**

I've played this course 5 or 6 times now over the past month. I'm really starting to love this course. People are pushing to make it an 18 hole course by (at latest) the end of next season. The course is getting walked in a little bit and the crazy foliage is starting to fade. This course is aging well into the late season and I can't wait to play in the fall. Bring some friends, bring a lunch, play twice if you need 18 holes. And myself and firefinger and a few others are always open to a friendly game!

1    7/11/2009   8/15/2009
Review By: turkey33
Pros: A fun short course that has good signs and is easy to navigate. Even though most holes are on the short side the designers made good use of existing trees that you must work around. Great place to introduce the sport to newbies and a good spot to practice with your mid rangers and approach discs if you've got a great arm and think this course is too short for you.
Cons: It's only 9 baskets. No long hole where you can really rip it. Mosquitos were troubling but given this summer weather there's been a number of mosquitos whenever I've been in woods.
Other Thoughts: I wouldn't go out of your way from Rochester to only play this course, but make a good day of it to visit the wine country and play some disc golf.

a great finesse course

5+    8/3/2009   8/4/2009
Review By: Firefinger
Pros: Naples community park course is a great short course to work on your short game with one 420 yard hole to stretch out on. A great place to play in the fingerlakes!!
Cons: mosquito's bring your clove oil or off as its layed back in the trees and it's a new course so grass is filling in ect...
Other Thoughts: I think a back 9 with longer holes for advanced players is in the plans for next season...

nice to play a new course

2-4    6/29/2009   6/29/2009
Review By: DanDwyer
Pros: its sweet that those people who they mentioned took the time and money to open this one. we loved it, every hole is fun, theres only one long one and yes its 420 feet...always cool
Cons: the bugs were there, they wanted my girlfriend more than me, it plays real quick, kind of a con not really
Other Thoughts: thanks so much for the cool course, my dad had a cabin in south bristol, near naples, and if this course would have been there when i got dragged to the cabin every weekend that would've been great

Short & Sweet

1    6/27/2009   6/27/2009
Review By: timg
Pros: Good signage and easy to navigate. A few holes have nice wooden signs to point you to the next tee when it's not immediately apparent which direction you have to go. You'll probably never have to fight a crowd here either as the course is pretty remote.
Cons: No tee pads and many fairways consist of mostly dirt and rocks. The ground was also fairly soft and muddy in a few places so I'd imagine after a good rain it would be pretty messy here. Also, any sort of formal parking was a good walk from the course. I noticed people parking in the grass near the first tee so I followed suit.

The course's length is something many may consider a con. Most holes clock in at under 200ft.
Other Thoughts: This course was designed as a rec. course for the most part and if you go in expecting that you won't be disappointed. Despite its short length, many holes at least had some element of challenge so even if you're throwing 150ft. you may have some trees or doglegs to contend with. The course was just put in when I played here (grand opening was 6/27/09) so the dirt/rock fairways may fill in a bit with grass in the coming months.

Overall, I had an enjoyable round here and hopefully it will get some locals into the sport. The course is far from pretty much everything so unless you're going to Naples or passing very, very close by I wouldn't recommend the lengthy detour that would be required to play here. On the other hand, if you're in the immediate area then I'd say it's worth 30-45 minutes of your time to play a round or two.