Athens, TN
Athens Regional Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Heathen Hole #1 (Taken 6/2009)
4 / 290ft.   4 / 415ft.   4 / 475ft.   4 / 600ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #1 Pro Tee

I'll Bring My Discs, You Bring the Biscuits and Gravy!

1    11/3/2013   11/4/2013
Review By: thrembo
This review was updated on 11/9/2013
Pros: A nice modern style, middle Tenn. course with a good mix of elevation change, woods, and water hazards.

Two sets of nice concrete tees and two sets of nice baskets make for several different ways to play this course. The more that I play these types of courses, the more that I like them.

Decent tee signs.

Very clean, and well maintained.

Restrooms, and a nice playground for the little ones.

Nice length, with some holes for the big guns. Overall, I would rate this as a longer course. Usually don't see this kind of length on a 9 holer.

Cons: Navigation is probably the biggest negative here. There are no next tee signs, or arrows anywhere, and some of the transitions were a little tricky. Also, I didn't see a map, or anything besides the pads/baskets to even indicate that there was a course here.

There was no benches, or anything to sit down on, anywhere on the course. Not even homemade stuff.

With its length, and water hazards, I wouldn't recommend this course to beginners.

No back nine yet? Didn't see it anywhere.
Other Thoughts: A very nice, larger park style course, with good mix of longer distances, and scenic Tenn. style countryside. Has the potential to be something special here.

I would wear sturdy shoes.

Although the course is pretty much set in its own area of the park, it is a multi use park with hiking/biking trails nearby, and a father/son were chucking a football around the big open area at the start of the course. The locals seemed friendly though.

Its very close to I-75. Stopping in for a leg stretching round is highly recommended.

Has great potential

2-4    1/19/2012   1/19/2012
Review By: ShaDalton
Pros: Variety of distance, woods, a bit of elevation, and some tight woods. Nice pads and signage, Bathrooms on site are plus!

On the hole info:
red = short to short
white=long to short
blue=short to long
yellow=long to long

Cons: I cant think of anything really negative about the course, only nine holes but so many options it can be played 36.
Other Thoughts: I can't believe #8 is a par3! I had to walk all the way back to look at the sign just to make sure.. Tough hole!

good course

5+    7/16/2011   7/19/2011
Review By: chrishank
Pros: I love the various shots needed for this course. You have long straight shots, short straight shots, long curve to the left and right as well as some smaller distance ones as well. Very diverse in shots.
Cons: The only cons in my opinion is the steep hills. Building some sort of steps for hole 3 and 4, and 7 and 9 would help. I am always taking kids with me and some I have to carry up and down these hills.
Other Thoughts: I lived in mcminn county for years so I have family and friends there. So I make regular visits to this course when I go up there. I love the course and can not wait on the other 9 holes to get there. It would be a 4.5 or 5 star course when it happens.

Athens Regional Park DGC

1    5/27/2011   5/30/2011
Review By: 3OrangeWhips
Pros:
Two permanent tee pads and two permanent baskets on every hole.
Concrete tee pads are very long and level to accommodate long run-ups.
Great signage at both tee pads on every hole.
Water significantly in play on three of the completed nine holes.
Good variety of wide open boomer holes, shorter technical holes, and tighter holes in the woods.
Mild elevation changes on the open holes, more significant elevation changes on the wooded holes.
Very large, pristine multi-use park built on rolling hills surrounded by scenic Tennessee farmland and mountains.
Plenty of parking near the #1 tee pad and plenty of clean restroom facilities.
Easy access offers a tempting quick round to passers by on I-75.
Cons:
Only nine of the planned 18 holes were completed as of May 2011.
A disc thrown into the pond is lost forever.
The #4 fairway looks like it can stay fairly muddy after wet weather.
The course flows nicely, but finding the next hole would be difficult without the course map available on this website.
Other Thoughts: Whoever designed this course did a great job, and whoever maintains it is doing just as well. Two permanent tees and baskets on every hole allows you to customize the course to accommodate what kind of round you want to play. I really like the way the course opens with a pair of wide open boomer holes that get your arm warmed up. The pond hole was a bit too challenging for my weak arm, but I was able to layup and still hit par. I lost a disc in the creek on hole #3--although I could clearly see it, I was worried about the critters that might be living in the nooks and crannies along the banks so I left it. Although the grass on the open fairways was already cut low, the mowers were in full swing while we were there. In the future, this course will only get better. The area where the back nine will be located is grassy hills with lots of elevation change and old trees. Looking forward to coming back.

challenge and mental!

1    5/14/2011   5/25/2011
Review By: bama9125
Pros: beautiful course overall and nice place to walk. have bathroom at hole 6 and comfortable throw at 1st hole bec of downhill!
good for people on vacation on way on I-75
Cons: lot of walk and 1st hole is 600 feet on pro tee and yellow basket. walk uphill on 2nd hole. and water in play on 5th and 6th hole. very brutal hole is 8th hole . challenge thru the heavy wooded area. i lost disc there. it required good aim thrower. it deserved a par 5 instead of 3 for amateur. :)
Other Thoughts: i lived abt hour and 15 min away from this course and i wouldnt go unless i pass this way. the good part about this is that it does not conflict with walkers so dont worry abiut hit people. it remind me of Heritage Point park in Dalton, Georgia DGC.

Great free 9-holer!

1    9/18/2010   9/18/2010
Review By: JSurmann
Pros: Each of the 9 holes has a short and long tee that is new concrete and each has two baskets per hole as well. There are red baskets for the short ones and the yellow baskets for the long one. All are brand new DiscCatcher baskets that are in absolute perfect condition. Each tee has a sign that gives distance to each basket from each tee. The tee signs show obstacles such as trees, water hazards and shows the short tee placements as well.

All fairways are well maintained, mowed and did not see any poison ivy or any other irritable plants or bugs worth mentioning. Not a far walk to the next tees and there was a nice breeze that cooled us off. A few nice bombing holes such as hole 1, 600' from long tee to far basket and hole 5 which is quite far and over a pond and both are downhill. This makes me and my noodle arm feel good about myself! Technical shots come into play on 7, 8 and 9 which are all in the woods and go cross slope.

Restroom after hole 6 and even though it's a 9 hole course (now) it's a great way to spend an afternoon. Plenty of other things to do there as well, playground, paved walking trail, hiking and mountain biking trails, ball fields and tons of parking. There is also a practice basket but it is after hole 2 for some odd reason and painted blue. There is also a winery about 2 miles away.
Cons: No place to put any trash and couldn't locate any vending machines or water fountains. On holes 3, 7 and 8, we had a hard time finding the tees. Maybe arrows guiding you to the next tee would help. On holes 6 through 9, you must backtrack the hole anywhere from 30-100' to find the next tee. Most holes are RHBH friendly as most curve left or are straight. Only holes 4 and 9 need a right fade from the tee.
Other Thoughts: Tee 1 is in the big field to the right after you drive in. Tee 3 is towards the main road. Cross over the driveway that leads to the house and you'll see it. Hole 7 is in the woods. Have the pond behind you and look towards the woods to the right and there's a small trail that will lead you to the tee. To get to hole 8, backtrack on 7 until you reach a 5' wide trail that goes up hill. Go up about 50' the tees are 50' left. Hole 9, backtrack about 50' and look downhill for the tee.

Oh I lost a blue Champion Beast that was custom dyed in the pond on hole 6. Probably 15' from the edge. Would like it back if you find it!