Center Barnstead, NH
Woods at Beauty Hill - Lynx Share
Uploaded By: justin Hole #5 (Taken 9/2011)
3 / 150ft.   3 / 150ft.   3 / 194ft.   3 / 226ft. Par / Distance:

A Lot in a Name

1    8/22/2014   9/14/2014
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: The Lynx course in The Woods at Beauty Hill has several excellent holes, in any degree from wide open to thick woods. The bricks paving the blue tees serve well as firm, level launchpads, and there are signs for all. The signs have a nickname for each hole and the other vitals with a rudimentary map. Minimum of 2 tees on every hole, not all are decked out like the blues. The DISCatchers look good and do what they do. I liked the scene walking up to the practice basket and driving net behind the barn. There was a also shed with loaner discs, message board, cooler with drinks for sale, a porto-potty, and other nice amenities. Stepping on the first tee everything was starting nicely. I like to throw down from the top of a hill, and that's what you get here. About 300' and not a lot of trees in the fairway. Got a birdie right out of the gate. Two is an about face and throw back up the hill. Mostly open except the shed that is right in front of the basket, which I nailed with my drive. Oops. I did manage to lob a thumbed over the top and save par. Three turns facing down hill again, 100' longer than the first hole. Still with a lot of airspace above the fairway, until you near bottom of the hill where the basket is protected by a rock wall, and some trees as well. Great hole. The next few holes take you through a more wooded portion of the same hillside. Hole 4 starts at the bottom, a par 5 dogleg left. Tough, but fair. 5, 6, and 7 are shorter in distance, heavier woods, and the downhill gravity assist on 7. I was shooting 1 under par to this point, but I lost my mojo on "The Outer Limit", hole 8 is a little longer. I got a good drive off, just couldn't get it in the basket and made bogey. 9 and 11 got me as well, and all the sudden I am 2 up and facing another tough par 5. 12 is named "Rocky Road" and the more literal interpretation is the accurate take. Nothing sweet about this, unless you get the par. A long, low drive to the elbow in front of a rock wall, and a sharp right turn, looking up the hill, still a good distance through a narrow wooded line to the target. I got the par, and 13 opened up into the flat, spacious meadow at the top of the hill. 13 and 14 are along the edges of the trees, RHBH hyzer shots of 319' and 240', respectively. I got birdies on both of them, after a good putt on 14. Hole 15 is long, a par 4 that crosses the flat, wide open center of the meadow. It is fun to bust out the big guns and just chuck it, and this is as simple as that. You, a long stretch of grass, and the basket. 16 and 17 play back into the woods, 16 longer, and 17 with more trees. 18 is open on the left side, and a dogleg right down the hill. A 372' par 3 that I couldn't handle. Bogey on the last hole put me at 1 over par (60), according to the scorecard I printed from the link.
Cons: There was a little mud, but not bad considering rain the night before. 15 is kind of bland, but the only total yawner on the course. Would you rather walk past and not throw? OK.
Other Thoughts: Lynx is a really solid course, fairly rated around 4 by my standards. The atmosphere is relaxing, and course is well conceived and executed. I didn't play the other course on site, the much shorter 18 hole Bobcat. There were 5 holes of a third, uncompleted course (Cougar?) that were also playable. The Lynx is enough reason to go check it out. If you have time, the rest is bonus golf.

Excellent Course

1    10/3/2012   10/3/2012
Review By: C6H12O6
Pros: This course is easy to navigate, has brick tee pads on every hole, and is a great mix of wooded and non-wooded shots. There is a small pro shop, score cards, and pencils. This course makes good use of the natural elevation, and requires touch shots, straight shots, and long shots in the open.
Cons: Non- Really. I played this course in the poring rain, so I don't have much to say about that
Other Thoughts: This course is a must visit if you are in New Hampshire. The course is heavily wooded, but there are fairways, and there are only one or two holes that could be considered "poke and hope." There are plenty of birdies to be had, and a couple open holes on the back nine to crush on. Come and play this course to support the wonderful private courses of new England

Nice

5+    10/8/2011   10/10/2011
Review By: bigpygmy
Pros: Well maintained, clearly marked, super nice people, great setting with a variety of shots
Cons: Sometimes the grass is a bit long, easy to lose a disc in the field, but you'll get it back
Other Thoughts: Nice scene going on here. Cool, friendly people

My first time at Beauty Hill

1    9/10/2011   9/11/2011
Review By: nfair
Pros: My sons and I played Beauty Hill for the first time this afternoon. What a beautiful course! The tee pads are great and the new baskets are fantastic. When my sons weren't throwing their discs they were playing the eye spy game along the course and having a great time. Lisa came out to greet us and give us a quick guide to the course then checked in with us again as we left to make sure we had a great time. It was a great welcome to the course.

This course has a great mix of shots. Uphill, downhill, across the hill, tight woods, wide open fields, lefty, righty, about the only thing missing is significant water to lose your disc in and I'm not going to complain about that! From reading about this course and talking to Blaze last year at a tournament and Lisa today it's clear a lot of work has been put into this course and the results are great.
Cons: I imagine they'll be putting in the brick tee pad for 15 soon, then I think every hole will have a nice brick tee pad so this won't even be a con.

1    4/22/2011   4/27/2011
Review By: DocHaole
Pros: - Beautiful course, very remote with thick woods.

- Excellent use of elevation, especially in the first 12 holes elevation comes into play on every hole.

- Great variety of hole layout. Doglegs left and right as well as some narrow straight shots. The design rewards players that can use a variety of shots.

- Incredibly clean, not a piece of trash to be found.

- Navigation was a breeze. At first I was worried that there was no map at the kiosk but the course is so well marked with next tee signs and a natural flow that there is no need to have a map.

- Loaner discs on hand. They had a bucket of 150g-165g discs for the newbies.

- A good mix of tight holes and open bombs. Too much of either can get repetitive but they did a great job here mixing the forest holes with the open field.

- No crowds, I went on a sunny Friday afternoon and my car was the only parked for the entire round I played.

- Nice new brick tee pads and multiple tees for a range of skill levels.
Cons: - The baskets - I know that they are currently working on replacing the old ones and are almost halfway there.

- I'm reaching to find con's here but you can argue that some of the pars are a bit off. The par 4s should be tough par 3s and 5s should be 4s. But the lowest overall score still wins right?
Other Thoughts: Overall this is an excellent course and you can tell that a lot of work went into the design. Normally I'm not a big fan of pay to play courses but in this case it is totally worth it.

I brought 3 friends that had never played disc golf before. At first I was worried that the tight technical holes would be frustrating. But the multiple tees and lighter loaner discs on hand made it a fun experience even for my 6 year old nephew.

This course is worth going out of your way for if you are in the area. I was on vacation staying in Alton Bay and it was only a 15 minute drive. But I will go out of my way to come back when I'm back in the area.

Great course

2-4    9/18/2010   9/21/2010
Review By: Zeke I
Pros: set up is great
distance is challanging
picnic tables at diffrent locations on the course
Cons: some of the tee boxes were not there but were marked well
Other Thoughts: Great course good location loads of fun for beniiners and experts alike. Lots of room to WING IT!

Tees for everyone in the Family

2-4    7/31/2010   8/10/2010
Review By: solomon.trenton
Pros: There are four sets of tees on every hole; one to suite every level player. Some of the long tees (blue) have brick pavers on them. Tee signs are on the blue pads and distance markers on the short ones. There is a really good mix of holes from all the tees. A few tight alleys, up/downhill, a few ace races thrown in the mix. The fairways are clean and offer enough space (in the field anyway) to let your disc do its thing. In the field next to the barn there is a practice basket and a throwing net. The navigation is simple and straightforward with next tee signs when needed. All of the grass is mowed and OB is marked clearly. Scorecards, a porta-pottie and small disc shop are near the big barn.
Cons: THE BASKETS!!! Now to explain. They seem line Instep's with super shallow baskets and really thick chains. If you don't hit it just right you will have a bounce out from ten feet away. The contition of the short tees ranges from poor to mediocre. Several of the fairways are really close to each other causing some confusion; especially during tourneys. The parking area is awefully bumpy so drive slowly.
Other Thoughts: All of the holes have super cool nicknames.

Serene and Clean

1    7/24/2010   7/24/2010
Review By: Everett Evans
Pros: - Four tees on each hole
- Beautiful environment, woodsy and fieldy
- Pretty obvious layout for each hole, so easy to guess where to drive, even on blind holes. I parked #16 without looking due to the sign and the feel of the fairway from the teebox. And probably some luck.
- Great signage!!
- A few picturesque downhill holes (1, 3, 7)
- Good use of elevation, up, down, flat, sidehill
- Good length from blue, a few legitimate par 4s (maybe not quite par 5s)
- Orange tees would be great for super-newbies, young ones
- This place is REMOTE!!
- Not a spec of trash, fairways in perfect condition, fields mowed in the past few weeks, everything in beautiful shape!! They did have a tournament here last weekend, so that probably helped the conditions.
- A few short easy putter holes, a couple where you can air out your arm.
Cons: - This place is REMOTE!! My wife and two little ones walked with me because there isn't ANYTHING within 30 minutes of the course for them to do.
- Hole 17 was the only hole I didn't like. A forced, short dogleg (100 feet one way, turn 90 degrees, 100 feet another way) is not the way you want to end the round. It looks like a lot of people play straight, but it is a crapshoot through the trees. I took an annoying 4 and was pretty soured.
- Nothing, it is a great course!!
Other Thoughts: Obviously the owners put a lot of time into this place, and it shows. Well worth the 5 bucks for two hours of solid golf. A ways out of the way, but well worth it.
Yes, the baskets are basically practice portables, but they caught my putts with no problem, and the four I missed wouldn't have gone in no matter what basket I was putting at.
Also, not sure why the negativity for Rocky Road (Hole 12). I thought it was a solid, difficult hole, with a par to back that up. Really could be a par four, not a five. Lots of courses around the US have similar two drive holes, glad there is at least one in NH. I drove short and left on the front half, flicked around the corner, approached to 20' and hit the putt for a four, and felt pretty good about it, but a three is definitely possible.

Beautiful!

2-4    6/27/2010   6/29/2010
Review By: N8malibu
Pros: Tranquil setting, relaxed atmosphere, owner came out to welcome us as we pulled in to the parking field, just as she did last time. Some challenging holes but the pars reflected that. pillaged the raspberry patch, yum, why let the birds get 'em before they hit the ground. Good mix of open and wooded holes. clearly marked signage
Cons: Field hadn't been cut in a while but I've seen worse. Dave beat me, hangs head in shame. Monster bugs, bring your bug spray or prepare to be eaten alive by deer/horse flies.
Other Thoughts: Love the course but it's a bitch to get to, but if you're up for a road trip in the country, it's a sweet destination.

Beauty Hill

5+    7/12/2008   7/1/2009
Review By: atonalruss
Pros: Well maintained, pretty long course, easy to navigate, nice use of elevation, great mix of wooded and open holes. Friendly owners who really love and care about the game.
Cons: As everyone else has said, the baskets need upgrading. The hole with the narrow path and right angle turn after 300 feet, only to have another 300 foot narrow path is not good.
Other Thoughts: I really like this course and would play it more if it were closer. I played their tournament (Beauty Hill Challenge) in July of 2007 and it was a great first tournament experience for me. Great people, good food, and much disc golf love. The grounds are beautiful, the $5 fee ($10 for the day) is reasonable considering it is the cleanest course I've ever played and well maintained. I'm hoping they will begin to upgrade the baskets soon. But even so, this course is great fun.