Aiken, SC
Perry Memorial Park Share
Uploaded By: jbrock Hole #8 (Taken 11/2011)
-- / -- Par / Distance:

You’ll want to forget Perry Memorial

1    8/5/2014   8/8/2014
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: Perry Memorial Park, bless your heart. You're trying to be a real disc golf course. You even give the appearance of a disc golf course. But a disc golf course you are not.
- There are nine baskets. The overwhelming majority (8 of 9) aren't bent or severely leaning.
- Course is set among trees, creating some good obstacles.
- You're almost guaranteed to have the course to yourself. Look at my comments below, and how they mirror the prior course review from five years earlier, and you'll see how the same problems are still there.
- This could be a really good practice course. With different vantage points, you could really have fun making your own tee locales. As you'll see below, if arbitrarily picking tees is your thing, you're in luck.
- Good for pitch-n-putt holes. Good for beginners and casual players. Good for a quick round or two. Without much length, very easy to zip through a round. And big arms are not required.
Cons: I had read the prior review before playing. It wasn't until after the fact that I re-read it and realized that review was five years old. And in that time, I had the same problems and experiences with this course.
- Four of the nine holes are missing numbers. One of the baskets was bent, and had been since at least 2009.
- The bigger problem was that I couldn't find any indication of tee markers, or even where to begin. I didn't see any markers/pavers in the ground. I walked around searching for any sign, instead picking my own spots to throw from. I'm guessing there was something on, or in, the ground, and have since disappeared. Seeing how nobody seems to know anything about this course, I suspect there's not a rush to get new markers in place.
- Nothing advertising/identifying that there is a disc golf course at this park. If you don't know what disc golf is, you're probably wondering what the nine yellow things are doing on poles in the wooded part of the park. The surrounding neighborhood probably doesn't care about disc golf, granted. If you have signage/kiosk/markers indicating this is an actual course, you may actually pique the interest of people close by, or students at the school next door, giving them a reason to check out the game.
- No place to park, so I park on the grass next to one of the tees. I was glad I was within sight of my car the whole time.
- Course would be hard to play if this were crowded. Humor me here. Holes & fairways do appear to overlap, so if you don't have the course to yourself, pay attention to other disc golfers.
Other Thoughts: Clearly this course has been forgotten. It's a sad reflection of the neighborhood surrounding it with a lot of rundown and neglected buildings and homes.
- I honestly wonder if the baskets were pulled, or stolen, how long it would take before anyone would notice, or whether they would even care.
- The baskets would serve a better purpose if they were pulled and put someplace where they would actually be utilized.
- The closest course to this is Odell Weeks, 10 minutes away. For comparison's sake, on this site Perry has been played by 15 people; Odell Weeks has been played by 63; and the courses in Augusta/North Augusta have been played by 200+ people. You can determine for yourself why people are playing Odell Weeks, but aren't driving here. Or why people from Augusta won't make a 25 minute drive, just for kicks and giggles or curiosity's sake, to check this place out.
- Google Map couldn't even find Perry Memorial Park. If Google is ignoring this park, you should as well. With improvements - mainly tee signs & hole markers - this could potentially be a 1.0-rated course as a fun pitch-n-putt layout. As it is, this was a total waste of my time. It took me years to give one course a zero. I've now played my second in as many months.

It's better than nothing!

1    11/26/2009   11/30/2009
Review By: atl scott
Pros: It's better than nothing!
Nice baskets (except the one that was all bent up)
Cons: Only 9 holes
No parking (I parked on the side of the road)
No teepads
No trees cleared
Whole course on 1/2 or maybe 1 acre wooded lot
No variety or elevation
No distance
"No trespassing" during school hours
Other Thoughts: I decided to drive to Aiken and play their two 9 hole courses one afternoon while I was in Augusta. When I arrived here I had to drive around for 5 minutes trying to figure out where to park. I decided not to park at the adjacent (middle?) school and just parked on the side of the road in the fairway of hole 8.

The whole course was laid out on a tiny parcel of land (the size of a large backyard) and had 9 holes placed somewhat where there seemed to be gaps in the trees that led to them. We could find no semblance of teepads or worn areas so we made them up where we thought they were supposed to be based on the direction the number on the basket was pointing and proximity to the previous basket.

There couldn't have been any holes over 240' and most were probably less than 150'. Most were straight shots through narrowish gaps.

I am glad the school or whoever has gone to the trouble to put the course in for the students but I wouldn't go out of my way to play this course again. Just set up your temp basket in the yard and have some fun instead!