Milton, WI
Hidden Valley DGC Share
Uploaded By: notapro Hole #8 (Taken 6/2011)
5 / 590ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Beginner/Intermediate

1    6/25/2011   6/28/2011
Review By: notapro
Pros: - Course is set in an open area of an RV park, in between the road and some forest. Plays sort of near a baseball diamond, and an entrance road - possible interference.
- Biggest pro at this course is a good sized hill that is included on many shots. #1 is a hill-to-hill shot, with good rollaway potential. #2 is a short downhill, and there are three more uphill shots on #5, #7, and #9. This isn't a slight incline, it's a serious gradient. Adds a huge amount of challenge, especially to the little arms. Downhill shots are fun too.
- Some trees are also in play here, blocking the fairway in some spots. Either go around, or attempt to hit the gaps in between. Holes vary from a few to worry about, to some big pines that force a big RHBH anny (#8), or a downhill hyzer (#6). They are well used, without a doubt.
- Awesome variety in hole length, there are a few ace runs (two under 150') as well as some legitimate bombers (two over 400', and another at 590'!). Big arms will love the chance to air one waaaay out here.
- No teepads, just grass. Targets are in awesome shape (not baskets, see pics). Navigation is a breeze.
Cons: - Biggest con here is the scarcity of woods/trees. What they had to work with was used magnificently, but there are still a lot of wide, wide open shots to be found here.
- Some possible interference in the layout, you have to drive past a basket at one part, but I really don't see that being an issue with the low frequency of discers (I would have to imagine it is never, ever busy).
Other Thoughts: - Wow, this was not what I expected!!! Some brutal holes here, like the 590' RHBH anny around a row of trees, and a blind uphill shot between two pines. Some short and fun ace runs, one right down a steep hill, and some other ones right in between. The targets are high quality as well, tone targets (that are LOUD) with some hanging chains. Did not detract from my experience one bit. If I ever buy an RV, I'm coming here. Employees let me play for free, and gave me a scorecard, pencil, and a smile.
- I think this would be a fun course for anyone once; maybe a bit long for beginners, and a bit open for more experienced players.

Odd

1    5/7/2011   6/18/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a grassy area with a few trees and some nice elevation changes. The first and last shots are down and back up steep hills, and there are a couple other shots that use the elevation to add some fun and a little more challenge. Two shots bring some trees into play so you need to shape your shots a little. A couple holes are longer, giving you a chance to throw some longer holes. There are numbered flags on the targets, and the area around each is flat and grassy making for a fine tee spot. The grounds are nicely kept, with lush but mowed grass and no trash or vandalism.
Cons: There are no tees, so you just throw from one target to another. They are numbered, but oddly, so the layout crosses over itself and doesn't make much sense. There are plenty of safari options, playing clockwise or counter-clockwise work much better in terms of flow. Most of the available shots are wide open, so they're not all that exciting or challenging. I would think a lot of the people potentially playing this course would be beginners, so having the targets spread out and forcing long shots could be discouraging.
Other Thoughts: This is kind of an odd course, the targets are fine but a little strange, with a tone pole that has chains hanging around it. With no tees you have to make your own course to some extent, but not many of the possible holes have much going on. Beginners will find it long and open, so they won't be punished for inaccurate shots but it's not very interesting. More experienced players will find a couple chances to rip a big drive, but otherwise it's boring.

Depending on what's going on, the course isn't always available to play, and they occasionally charge a visitor fee to come onto the grounds. They have events and during those they told us the course would be unavailable. Otherwise the staff was friendly and helpful, though none knew about any maps or scorecards.

"Warning Fun Times Ahead"

1    3/30/2010   4/17/2010
Review By: XDrew
Pros: This course inhabits a surprisingly welcoming (my review title is taken from a road sign there) trailer community/RV park and is a neat use of some fairgrounds-type land. Tube tone targets are in great condition, only lacking flags for the high flagsticks on each. I like not having to worry about spit-outs!
Cons: The trees and elevation change were put to good use, but could have been more interestingly employed. In particular the three wiiide open, flat holes could have been tucked up against trees.
Other Thoughts: I teed off from the pins in the following way: starting with the pin right by the parking lot, aim for the left pin on the hilltop. Then throw down the hillside and follow a natural counter-clockwise loop. 7 will be very short but steep, up that first hill. Then 8 back down, and finish at T1/P9 by the parking lot. This way there are no crossing fairways. If you want to experience the magic of tube tones, play this course once on your way through Milton (the park is right on the road from Stoughton to Whitewater).

Hey it is something

1    4/11/2010   4/11/2010
Pros: 1) It is a disc golf course.

2) Elevation and rolling valley holes. Hidden Valley is actually two valleys and 1 ridge with two baskets tucked up on top. You play down one valley, back up the ridge and then back down the other valley again, finishing back up the ridge one last time.

3) Probably never very busy.

4) I think they have maps or scorecards in the office, but since it was closed I couldnt get one.

5) Beginner friendly because of the complete lack of trees.

6) Turf is in awesome condition, must be the lush farmland this park was built on!
Cons: 1) No baskets, tone poles with 4 chains close to the poles. I have never seen nor played on these before. I guess as long as you hit anything metal it counts???

2) No real trees in play, just 9 poles in a large rolling field.

3) No teepads, so just throw from the previous pole.

4) Boring except for the elevation changes.

5) No tee signs listing distance, perhaps that is on the maps and scorecard they supposeduly have in the office.
Other Thoughts: I drove to this course not expecting to play, but it was on my way from Lustig to Stoughton Kiwanis, and when I saw the chain at the gate on the ground I drove in. Noone at the front office, nobody around, so I parked and played quickly so as not to get caught. I could have explained my way out of it if I needed to. I played it anyways just to add to my courses played and get another first review!!! I am a greedy bastard gunning for Diamond so shoot me a thumbs up!!!! Remember I played it so you don't have to.

There really isn't much to be said for this course because it is so basic. Sure the elevation and rolling terrain is fun, but it is just a grip and rip course with no real challenge except to throw as far as you can. I cannot rate it at 1/2 disc though because it is well taken care of, the turf is wonderful and it still could be fun if you are in the right mindset. It is not in disrepair like the other courses I have rated lower than 1 disc.

This course is not listed as private on this site, but I doubt they get many non RV users to ask to play, I do wonder if they would be ok with it. I did not want to be told I couldn't play it so I just went ahead on my own.