Orrington, ME
DR Disc Golf - Long 18 Share
Uploaded By: Murfshay22 Hole #16 (Taken 9/2009)

Solid Intermediate Level Course With Great Amenities!

1    8/2/2015   8/2/2015
Pros: The DR Disc Golf Course-Long 18 is part of the two course private complex in Orrington. The course was carved out of the Maine forrest. One of my favorite things about this complex is the fact they chipped all the brush and trees (?) and then just left left all the woodchips. The result is this wonderful, soft cushioned forrest floor to walk on. Plus it's gotta be great for all those wet Maine days.

The teepads are slightly raised wooden platforms painted yellow. With the help of countless next tees signs, navigation is a breeze. The baskets are standard DGA models. On this course, I would have liked to have seen them use Discatchers with the yellow bands. The DGA models were hard to spot sometimes. The tee signs were very simple, just a big hole number attached up above the teepad. They are easy to see, though. There are picnic tables at each hole complete with ashtrays. And a Honey Bucket was a welcome find in the middle of the course near # 4 & 13.

There is a nice variety of holes here, from # 2, a long 600' plus par 5 to #'s 9 I& 11 which were both short little 175' Ace runs, one anhyser and the other a hyser. The course might be a little bias towards players who can throw forehands. Quite a few holes either start with an Annie or start straight and then Annie off.
Cons: Any course that costs anything to play is always a small con IMO.

I guess some players advanced and up could complain that's there's not enough challenge here. It plays as an intermediate type course.

It's technically tight in places. I hit enough trees on my round. I wouldn't ask for any open holes, myself.

Better tee signs with all the pertinent information would be helpful.
Other Thoughts: DR Disc Golf is a pretty nice operation, in my opinion. Complete with a fully stocked pro shop, they provide the player with two well maintained courses, both with excellent amenities. I so appreciate all the clearing that has been done here. And along with that, I appreciate the underbrush they've cleared away. And leaving the woodchips was stroke of genius in my book.

Pretty Sweet for the flick

1    10/25/2014   10/27/2014
Review By: laughingbenjamin
Pros: Echoing what others have said, well kept, good club house, Friendly.
Cons: Not a lot of balance for shot variations. No Tee signs. Pay 4$ per round is a bit steep but most locals don't mind
Other Thoughts: I would certainly go back anytime I am in Maine and we will probably bring a Can vs America tourney down here at some point