Franklin, TN
Liberty Park Share
Uploaded By: SimonCarr Hole #6 (Taken 8/2009)
Hole #6 White Tee

A good mini-course

1    7/19/2014   7/20/2014
Review By: rootofthechord
Pros: Liberty Park fills the niche of "short, technical forest course" very well. The course consists of nine forested holes and one hole in a relatively open clearing. While the fairways tend to be straight or gently curving, most of the pins are tucked off to the side, requiring the correct fade for an ace run. It's a great course for less experienced players because of the short distances and clear, well maintained fairways. Experienced players with accuracy can easily rack up the birdies.
Cons: The course has dual tees, but the second set of tees was so short it didn't seem to add much to the course. Some of the tee signs were either abused or missing; however, thanks to the gigantic bulletin-board map at hole 1, navigation was still very easy. Finally - this course has more ticks than a clock. You will want to inspect yourself after you play.
Other Thoughts: I came to this course because I had a Z-Comet and an hour to burn, and this course fit the bill perfectly. It's not the course to satisfy your everyday disc golf needs because it's only ten mostly short holes, but if you're looking for a short, quick, or quiet game by yourself, I would definitely recommend this course.

Steep and Technical

5+    1/27/2013   1/28/2013
Review By: RustyStrings615
Pros: This is a great course to work on your short technical game. There is a lot of elevation change here as it plays along a steep wooded hillside for most of the course. One long fairly open hole plays along a creek for some much needed variety. There are Red and White tees for each hole that provide some varying difficulty for different skill levels. The concrete tee pads are large and in excellent condition. The baskets are nice/new and there are well-made bag holders and tee signs for each hole. Even though most holes are similar, the designer(s) did a good job of providing some variety with this less than ideal piece of land. The lines are well thought out with some straight, right, left, uphill, downhill, etc. Most holes are short but there are a few longer holes mixed in as well. There are some fun shots here for sure - but I could play it with just a stable driver, midrange and putter and score about the same as if I had my entire bag. Fairly often I'll just carry those three discs and think of it as a nice challenging hike while I fling some discs along the way. This course is never crowded - very often I'm the only person there. You can play this course really quickly and get some good exercise while you're at it. Liberty provides a nice contrast to the open/long/windy Crockett Park down the road.
Cons: There are only 10 holes - which leaves much to be desired, especially with the lack of variety of terrain. Sure there are Red and White tees and I usually play one round from each ....but, in most cases, I feel like the two different tees don't really do much to change the line/difficulty of the hole. It's best to play here in the colder months - ticks and chiggers abound. It's also really easy to lose discs when the rough is grown up. The trees are almost too tight on some holes which will leave beginners frustrated - some holes are "poke and hope" at best.
Other Thoughts: Keep your eyes peeled for a family of wild turkeys living here. I see them most of the time I play. I feel like the two separate tees are a waste of resources - they are really nice and well done but I think they would've been better served to wait until additional holes could be added somewhere in the park. Eight open holes would make this a really complete course - but there is probably nowhere they are allowed to put them in. Then they maybe they could have just saved the money for another future course in the area.

Cicada Kingdom

1    5/19/2011   5/25/2011
Review By: jsbatte
Pros: This course was pretty fun. I was completely alone when I played it, which was nice, because I hit a lot of trees. This course is almost entirely wooded, which is only good for me, because the holes were a little shorter. The course is well maintained and has plenty of benches. There is also a small bin at the beginning of the course with score cards and pencils!
Cons: Close to a lot of construction near by. Compact. No clear instructions on how to get there when you enter the park (I could have missed them, though). Only 10 holes..
Other Thoughts: I'll get back to this course soon. It'll help me with my accuracy. Since I didn't run into anyone, this might turn into my relaxing course. It's a very pretty walk through the woods.

This was the perfect rest stop on my trip through Nashville!

1    9/17/2010   9/25/2010
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 3/19/2011
Pros: What an excellent 10 hole course!
-Multiple Tee's and multiple pin placement
-Concrete Tee's, Wooden signs w/Maps and bag hangers, Course map at the start, Scorecards with Maps, and a huge letter A or B on the billboard identifying the Pin location.
-The Course makes use of a steep terrain, which allows for some great uphill, and downhill shots.
-The course is well maintained and clean
-No two holes play the same here. One open field distance drive. The rest of the course is in the woods.
-Paths through the woods, with signs that make navigation very easy here. The course plays back to the start.
-It is beginner friendly, but can be a fun course for even the advanced player. Some holes will bait you into a little over confidence.
-Beautiful scenery! The way this course weaves through the woods, and up the steep hills, really made an impression on me.
-Big Fun factor and still maintains itself as a challenging course.
-One hole is just under 500ft, coming in at 490ft. (Depending on the Pin Placement)
-Disc Golf course is segregated from the rest of the park. Ideally a player shouldn't run across other park attendees.
-The course was well designed, with excellent pin placement. The course also maximized the use of the land it was given.

FWIW: Located in a park, with playground equipment nearby, so if you are traveling as a family, one spouse can watch the kids, while the other plays.
Cons: -The course can get sloppy after a rain, due to the nature of the steep hills one must climb.
-I forgot about one thing, there are paths on the course which cross a few fairways. There are signs giving one the heads up, and they do allow for access to your car or the bathroom if needed.
In my opinion, the cons here are minimal. Especially since this is a 10 hole course.
Other Thoughts: You will be doing a lot of hill climbing, so you may want to consider your footwear when playing here. A variety of shots are used here, having a little finesse will always help the cause. Don't underestimate it, or write it off because it's just 10 holes. Believe me when I say Liberty Park is well worth your time.

There is potential for this course to become an 18 hole course, but it wouldn't surprise me if this was all the land that they were allowed to use, or some other factor halted expansion. Whatever the reasons, someone has done an excellent job in utilizing the land they were given.

I didn't have 2 hours to allow for a full 18 hole course. Which made this course a perfect place to play. I was able to stop on my trip, not rush through the course, enjoy my game, take in the surroundings, and be back on my way in less than an hour.

If you are traveling through Nashville, or you are just looking for a quick round, then Liberty Park is the perfect answer. It's about 5 minutes off the interstate, quick, convenient, and you can be right back on the road.

Directions note: I really had no trouble finding Liberty Park. If you are on I65, then exit at McEwen, and go East. Follow it until the road dead-ends, you will see turning wheel drive and the park on the right. The directions on the course page will lead you right to the course. I had no trouble finding the course. Look for the steep gravel road that goes into the parking lot on the right.

foodstamp nailed it

2-4    8/12/2010   8/20/2010
Review By: BrandonKeele
Pros: This course has all the little extra's to give it an "executive" feel for a "10" hole. Bag hangs,water fountain, scorecards, trash bins...etc... GREAT signage! But Johnny Foodstamp nailed it. This is a 20 hole course. The supposive "am" tee's are harder than the pro in most places. A newby would have no chance of getting to the basket safely, as there is no real clear shot to them. This course does have a lot of variety actually, those being elevation shots. In the nashville area these are the more upward or downward elevation shots around. So if your a big sweaty disc golfer bring some water! Your calves are gonna hurt ya'. I had a good time.
Cons: Only one open shot. It is hole 3. The rest of the course is so left, right, up. down, that it didnt bother me too much. I had fun with the skill shots, more finesse' less muscle. It is if cedar hill and mundy park had a rich well taken care of baby.
Other Thoughts: Kinda hard to find. Lots of circle's happened :) But there were some friendly deer hanging out in the park to welcome us and get us going.

Very Wooded, Very Technical

5+    4/15/2010   4/16/2010
Review By: khull
Pros: This is a great course to build accuracy and get used to making high pressure drives and apporaches. The T's are concrete and in good shape, and the baskets do a good job of catching most shots without much bounce out.
Cons: There isn't a lot of variety here. There are a few longer holes, but they do not offer much of a chance to rip a long drive due to a narrow field or a ton of trees. The course also really punishes bad and even just less than perfect shots. I have nearly lost several discs on fairly good throws.
Other Thoughts: When playing this course, I would advise that you wear a hat and jeans. I have found ticks on me several times after playing this course. There is thick brush if you stray too far off of the trail, and I have come accross several snakes. Be careful out there!

On the verge...

1    2/20/2010   2/20/2010
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Liberty Park is a younger course. Since the baskets are new, they are in good condition. Concrete tees at both Red and White boxes are even and uncracked. Benches and bag-racks at every hole add some flair. As for the design, it was really good for 10 holes. There are multiple hills with elevation changes; some are very tough. You will need to be able to "work" your discs pretty well in order to shoot a good round at Liberty. The fairways are very well-defined and mostly mulched. Paths are indicated to the next tee box. In short, this course was designed and planted with elements that most courses incorporate as they "season". Liberty already has many amenities.
Cons: I think that there is the opportunity to expand the course. I am not on the Parks Board or anything, but it seems like the park has ample land to expand this course. I list this only as a con because I think 18 holes would improve the overall course flow. While the two sets of tees each present different angles, the major design elements are the same. For instance, hole 9 is a long tunnel S-Curve....from both the white and the red.
Other Thoughts: I am giving this course the rating of a 3 because it is a "good" course, but I feel there is more potential. You can play from each set of tees (as we did today) in order to get in 20 holes. But like I said earlier, while the angles may change, the elevation elements and basket placement are the same. Liberty's basket placemets offer excellent risk/reward opportunities. Blow-by putts are often punished. In my opinion, this course is worth a stop if you're in the area. It is an excellent compliment to Crockett Park which is more open and long. Liberty requires more finesse and accuracy. Since they are only 5 miles apart, it makes for a well-rounded day of disc golf if you can play both.

Give Me Liberty...

2-4    6/14/2012   2/16/2010
Review By: bjreagh
This review was updated on 6/15/2012
Pros: This is a technical woods course with lots of elevation. The course is on land dedicated to disc golf. Even though there are only 10 holes, there are 2 sets of tees. The red tees are shorter, the white tees are longer but not necessarily easier, as the tees are placed so you have different looks and lines to the basket. This factor makes this course play almost like 20 holes! There are 2 possible basket locations for each hole as well- A and B, which are indicated by a marker on each tee sign post. I really like that A is not always longer than B on a given hole. This avoids the course being either long or short, but makes a nice average distance regardless of set-up.

There are informative tee signs at both sets of tees which include a hole map and distances to both hole locations. They are also very nicely done. They are made of two layers of plastic with the map and info etched out of the top layer giving a nice 3-D effect. Nice touches include 1) the map on the kiosk and 2) the super nice color scorecards/map. Navigation is a breeze with clear paths that are very well marked. Also nice are the tees pads which are concrete and level despite all the elevation.

The holes mainly play in the woods up and down the hillside with just one hole open and flat, but that one plays along a creek. Each hole does have a fairway (most have been mulched and lined with logs) and at least one path to the basket- some are narrow, but none are impossible. There is a nice variety of up and down, but at different degrees of steepness. Some holes are straight, some go left, and some go right. Though no holes are super long, there is a pretty good variation in distance from hole to hole which is reinforced by the elevation and alternate set of tees.
Cons: I recently played this course for the first time in summer conditions and the rough is thick and there is lots of it. The fairways are very narrow as the foliage seemed to be taking over and finding discs was difficult, plus there were lots of ticks. Course could use a good work day and some weedeaters. (I happen to prefer this course in the winter.)

There are lots of extra signs on the course, but other than the tee signs and kiosk, the rest are just printed paper in protective sleeves. Permanent wooden/plastic signs would be a nice touch.

It is too bad there are only 10 holes. If 8 more could someday be added at the quality of the other 10 (and there appears to be room) then this could be a fantastic course.
Other Thoughts: This is not your typical <18 hole course- it is much better. It is one of the best "9-hole courses" out there! One really nice thing about this course is that all the people involved in getting it ready for play did a really nice job of planning. The public was not allowed to play this course before it was completed (some courses open with just baskets… and then the fairways, concrete tees, navigational aids, etc. come later, but not here), and doing it this way was well worth the wait for us locals!

Couple this course with nearby Crockett Park which is only a couple of miles away for a super day of disc golf.

Amazing facilities but just "alright" course

1    11/3/2009   11/9/2009
Review By: newsguru
Pros: Outstanding facilities for new disc golfers - concrete tee pads - pars and maps at every hole - pro and am tee pads - very clean and kept up - difficult to lose discs - can play the whole course with a putter and/or midrange
Cons: Way too many left-handed shots - Way too many uphill shots - While playing the course, you can easily walk into other people in the middle of throwing- overlapping holes -
Other Thoughts: The course is sub-par but the facilities are perfect. I took pictures of the facilities to show my home club members how to improve our course. There's a big map showing all of the holes and pars at the very beginning. The map even says what the basket placements are(A or B). Each hole has a map with pars too. The tee pads are perfect and the course is kept up.

But what the course has in facilities, it does not have in originality or innovative course design. The holes overlap one another providing the opportunity to smash a fellow disc golfer in the face with a disc.

For some reason, there are a lot of left-handed and uphill shots. There's not much of a variety in shots. Better course design is much needed.

Despite my comments, it's a fun little beginner course. I introduced my cousin to the glory of disc golf there and I'll probably throw it again if I'm in Franklin.

1    10/16/2009   10/21/2009
Review By: AdamE
This review was updated on 3/30/2013
Pros: This ten hole course is set in a beautiful, well kept park. There are elevation changes on most holes. Every hole has dual pads and two pin locations. The sign at the entrance of the course tells you if the pins are in the A or B location, this helped me out a lot. The signage here is excellent. All the pads are concrete and the area around many of the pads is built up since a lot of the holes play on a hill. They also have benches in a lot of places and posts to hang you bag.

The course itself is really nice. All but one of the holes are completely in the woods, but there was little under brush. The fairways were mulched and lined making the course look great and navigation even easier.
Cons: There really isn't much I could find about the course I didn't like. The biggest con for me was a couple of the holes or pin locations seemed extraordinarily difficult. One hole more than half way through was a really tough turnover from the long pad that seemed more lucky to me. I was glad another hole (maybe 8 or 9?) was in the B position, because the A position was another 100 feet and the fairway got extremely narrow. Of course it's possible they're still working on some of the alternate positions, I'm not sure.

I hope this course is expanded to 18 holes in the future.
Other Thoughts: A lot of time and effort has been put into this course and it shows. Some of the lines can be pretty tight so a new player might be a little frustrated here, but on the other hand this course could help teach accuracy. An advanced player should find a nice mix of birdie opportunities and a few more challenging holes.

This is the highest I've rated a course with less than 18 holes, and it deserves it. The course is just minutes off I-65 and is worth checking out if you're passing through.