Franklin, TN
Liberty Park Share
Uploaded By: SimonCarr Hole #1 (Taken 8/2009)
3 / 170ft.   3 / 265ft.   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #1 White Tee

< Prev 1 2 3
A good mini-course

1    7/19/2014   7/20/2014
Review By: rootofthechord
Pros: Liberty Park fills the niche of "short, technical forest course" very well. The course consists of nine forested holes and one hole in a relatively open clearing. While the fairways tend to be straight or gently curving, most of the pins are tucked off to the side, requiring the correct fade for an ace run. It's a great course for less experienced players because of the short distances and clear, well maintained fairways. Experienced players with accuracy can easily rack up the birdies.
Cons: The course has dual tees, but the second set of tees was so short it didn't seem to add much to the course. Some of the tee signs were either abused or missing; however, thanks to the gigantic bulletin-board map at hole 1, navigation was still very easy. Finally - this course has more ticks than a clock. You will want to inspect yourself after you play.
Other Thoughts: I came to this course because I had a Z-Comet and an hour to burn, and this course fit the bill perfectly. It's not the course to satisfy your everyday disc golf needs because it's only ten mostly short holes, but if you're looking for a short, quick, or quiet game by yourself, I would definitely recommend this course.

Steep and Technical

5+    1/27/2013   1/28/2013
Review By: RustyStrings615
Pros: This is a great course to work on your short technical game. There is a lot of elevation change here as it plays along a steep wooded hillside for most of the course. One long fairly open hole plays along a creek for some much needed variety. There are Red and White tees for each hole that provide some varying difficulty for different skill levels. The concrete tee pads are large and in excellent condition. The baskets are nice/new and there are well-made bag holders and tee signs for each hole. Even though most holes are similar, the designer(s) did a good job of providing some variety with this less than ideal piece of land. The lines are well thought out with some straight, right, left, uphill, downhill, etc. Most holes are short but there are a few longer holes mixed in as well. There are some fun shots here for sure - but I could play it with just a stable driver, midrange and putter and score about the same as if I had my entire bag. Fairly often I'll just carry those three discs and think of it as a nice challenging hike while I fling some discs along the way. This course is never crowded - very often I'm the only person there. You can play this course really quickly and get some good exercise while you're at it. Liberty provides a nice contrast to the open/long/windy Crockett Park down the road.
Cons: There are only 10 holes - which leaves much to be desired, especially with the lack of variety of terrain. Sure there are Red and White tees and I usually play one round from each ....but, in most cases, I feel like the two different tees don't really do much to change the line/difficulty of the hole. It's best to play here in the colder months - ticks and chiggers abound. It's also really easy to lose discs when the rough is grown up. The trees are almost too tight on some holes which will leave beginners frustrated - some holes are "poke and hope" at best.
Other Thoughts: Keep your eyes peeled for a family of wild turkeys living here. I see them most of the time I play. I feel like the two separate tees are a waste of resources - they are really nice and well done but I think they would've been better served to wait until additional holes could be added somewhere in the park. Eight open holes would make this a really complete course - but there is probably nowhere they are allowed to put them in. Then they maybe they could have just saved the money for another future course in the area.

Unfinished Business & Hiking

2-4    9/20/2012   1/12/2013
Review By: WillAnderson
Pros: Great place to practice midrange, tight lines, & upshots. You may even turn into a mountain goat. It's situated on a hill & beside a creek, providing steep elevation in a tightly wooded setting. Wonderful exercise! If you play it daily, your Zumba buddies at work will say, "How DO you do it?"
Cons: 10 holes? Crikey, after all that hiking I felt like I put in 2 rounds. The baskets hide from the tee pads, & the signs, although nice & legible, resemble a 4th grader's scale more than an architect's. If you're not beat from the hiking up & down, over & over, on this poorly laid out course, you'll fight the urge to throw all your drivers in the parking lot bc unless you're new to the game, you won't have many opportunities to pull them out of your bag otherwise.
Other Thoughts: I hope this course is merely unfinished business. I doubt that I'll ever play it again as is. Careful to watch your disc the whole time bc you'll lose 'em in the nasty rough even if it doesn't roll out of sight. It's in Williamson County, the RICHEST COUNTY IN THE ENTIRE NATION per capita. I expected more.

Great Fall/Winter Course

5+    5/1/2012   9/2/2012
Review By: kingje1
Pros: This course is a very tight wooded course with some extreme elevation changes and is very challenging. There are no really open shots although there are some with some good distance. It will force you to be accurate with your discs. This course has taught me how to use my discs better. You will need every type of shot with this course. There are pro and am tees. Number 9 is amazingly challenging at the end of the course. You have to see it to believe it. I have only hit par on it when it's in the long position once having played the course some 100 or so times.
Cons: This course is practically unplayable in the summer. There are an abundance of ticks lurking everywhere. Even if you hit fairway on every hole you will walk away with one on your clothing. Then there's the brush, the course is dominated by small plants that do a great job of hiding the ground. Then there's the piles of sticks and logs that look like snake nests.
Other Thoughts: This course is awesome in the fall and winter. I play this course over and over in those months especially when Crockett is crowded. Six is one of my favorites. It shoots steep downhill fading slightly to the right all the way down about 300 feet.

Nice and new

5+    3/6/2012   3/9/2012
Review By: entangled
Pros: A new course to play is always fine by me. Finesse and control over power here. Neat layout with the white tees being shorter and tougher and the red tees being longer and more open. Good 20 holes.
Great complement to Crockett and close by too, lay back and get out of the sun and wind here.
Great pads, baskets, bag holders, trash cans and benches at practically every tee.
Cons: We need 8 more baskets. This will do.
I guess ticks and nature things are a problem, but I live in this area and am used to these things. That's gonna be with any course around this area.

Hidden Gem

1    6/19/2011   2/7/2012
Review By: The Drake
Pros: This is a truly well designed woods course. Tight, but not impossible fairways are the mainstay of the course. Not many if any "wtf" trees in the fairways which make for clearly defined throwing lines taking out the need for an excessive amount of luck needed at a lot of woods courses. It actually places a heavy emphasis on actual skill to score well.

Two sets of tees with unique views of each pin. Though distances may not be much changed on a lot of the holes the character from each provides a different line to the basket appropriate for different skill levels.

By the nature of the land available there are not a whole lot of long holes, but this course doesn't need them. There is one open-ish long hole which allows you to crank one, but even it has a well protected fairway with a creek to the left and woods to the right. What really makes this woods course stand out in my opinion is the variety of shots. Set in a small public park it utilizes elevation change perfectly. Another huge bonus that can sometimes be hard to master is the pure variety of shots needed off the tee. I honestly found myself throwing nearly every type of shot I can with almost every type of disc in my bag off the tee. From hyzers to anhyzers, backhand to sidearm, touch to power this course really does force you to have each to score well despite the lack of distance.

Aesthetics: Could be THE best tee signs I've ever seen. Simple yet elegant and most importantly accurate. You gt the feeling the people who work on this course spend a lot of time on it. The tees are great, the fairways are (or at least when I played it were) exceptional. I honestly felt like I was playing a PGA style course in terms of its upkeep.
Cons: Having only moved to Nashville maybe 1 week prior to playing this course I had never heard of it and did not know anything of the local DG scene so when I played the course, like most of the non-natives, I assumed it to be a 10 hole course. The only legit con I can have would be related to that assumption only because for bigger events you just can't play this course. Small local events you could get away with. Maybe a final found for a large area tournament, but unless you want to double up on each hole and add to waiting time it wouldn't work very well.

The only other con I can give it is that it took me a solid 30 minutes once I got near the park to actually find it. Using my GPS on my phone it took me to the backside of the park where there was some construction going on and you couldn't actually access the park let alone the disc golf course. But that may likely be resolved at this point.
Other Thoughts: This could be the best non-traditional disc golf course I've ever played. There is no question that having a complete 18 hole course would be more ideal, but given the land constraints you can't really ask for much more in terms of a top notch disc golf course.If you have control and accuracy you'll shoot well, if not then you're looking at a long day of searching for plastic.

I would recommend playing this course (if you have the stamina) after playing Crockett which is nearby as its a great contrast and can give you a good idea of your overall game if you can score well at both.

This course grows on you

2-4    10/8/2011   10/11/2011
Review By: boondock339
Pros: The way this course is designed, you play the first 10 from the red tees and then you play the second ten from the white tees. Ironically, the less experienced players may actually find the white tees easier. Even though the shots are longer than the red, they are much straighter. The red tees are closer but offset so that the shots are much more technical. Considering that the park will not currently allocate any more permanent space for tees, I think that this course makes the best use of what it has. What it has is pretty fun and worth going back for. The folks that designed and maintain the course do love it, so it will only get better with time.
Cons: When I played on Friday, the underbrush was out of control. It was not a lot of fun to retrieve discs that strayed from the narrow fairways.
Other Thoughts: I played this course from the white tees on Friday, and then I turned around and played from red tees on Saturday. Saturday was also a course cleanup day which I came out for. PEOPLE, if you have a problem with how a course is maintained, then be part of the solution. Anyone can complain about the maintenance of a course(which I tend to do that), but I feel that if you are really involved in the sport then you need to be helping to take care of the courses that you love to play on. With that being said, the other advantage to helping with cleanup on Saturday, was that the course was set up temporarily for the upcoming tournament(Liberty Pro/Am Fall Spectacular). After playing the temporary set up (8 new holes!) I would highly recommend coming out for this tournament. The new temporary holes are a nice compliment to the wooded nature of the permanent holes. They are a little bit more wide open, yet quite challenging. If you have never played a course with a required "drop zone", then you should come out for the next work day (Oct. 22nd) and get some practice for the tourney(Nov 12th).

Notes:
I will try to do an in-depth review after the tourney.

Fun 5/9ths of a Round

1    7/2/2011   7/11/2011
Review By: weeman
Pros: Liberty is probably the most fun non-18 hole course I've played. The layout stays away from other activities in the park save for a walking trail or two but I didn't see anybody out while I was playing. The land the course is on is very well manicured with very defined fairways and rough. The fairways are fair and the rough does what its suppose to, cause you a headache. Skill level will determine what your score is after getting into the rough. Each hole has a different feel in that you won't be throwing the same tee shot multiple times in a row. The elevation here is used very nicely with multiple climbs and falls along the way. With being less than 18 holes, I was a fan of several holes being longer and more challenging. The dual tee pads change the shot shape as well as the distance so there's no lack of variety if you want to play 20 holes instead of just 10 holes. The tee signs are simple but adequate and include a rivet system to tell which sleeve placement the basket is in. That being said, there are dual sleeves on each hole but I don't know how often they are changed. This makes for a cool 40 different shots off the tee. A large course map near number one also indicates which placements are in. The tee pads are nicely sized, grippy and well constructed. Those on inclines or declines have extra measures taken off the ends so that 1. the thrower can safely follow through and 2. the tee pad won't crack from erosion under the pad in a few years. Navigation is a breeze through the course from the baskets to your next respective tees. Signs are even posted warning of nearby fairways where and errant shot or a deflection might come your way.
Cons: The biggest thing I noticed was that several of the rivets marking which sleeves were incorrect so I threw the incorrect shot towards what I thought the location of the basket was. Or maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention. On several of the holes there were benches and trash buckets while others there weren't. Other than that I don't really see any other Cons with the layout besides it not being 18 holes.
Other Thoughts: This course can be a lot of fun and a good technical challenge to any player. The woods keep you honest and the fun factor should keep you coming back for more. With as heavy as the woods are and the surrounding area, I see why they do their Ice Bowl in the heart of winter. Plus they add a further 8 holes to complete the 18. Hopefully one day this course will be a complete 18 but until then I'll keep coming back to play these solid 10.

Cicada Kingdom

1    5/19/2011   5/25/2011
Review By: jsbatte
Pros: This course was pretty fun. I was completely alone when I played it, which was nice, because I hit a lot of trees. This course is almost entirely wooded, which is only good for me, because the holes were a little shorter. The course is well maintained and has plenty of benches. There is also a small bin at the beginning of the course with score cards and pencils!
Cons: Close to a lot of construction near by. Compact. No clear instructions on how to get there when you enter the park (I could have missed them, though). Only 10 holes..
Other Thoughts: I'll get back to this course soon. It'll help me with my accuracy. Since I didn't run into anyone, this might turn into my relaxing course. It's a very pretty walk through the woods.

Great Woods Course!

5+    11/24/2010   11/30/2010
Review By: Autiger1291
Pros: Great tight, wooded course. This course requires many different kinds of shots off the tee pads and many more from the rough. All the tee pads are large and in great shape. Benches are present on most holes as well as bag holders. The reds and whites present very different shots on most holes. With that in mind you can play twenty holes and not feel like you played the same course twice. Many of the tee shots from the white tees are difficult and you are rewarded greatly for staying in the fairway. The course is very well maintained. A lot of the rough has been thinned out as traffic has increased, but ticks and chiggers can still get you in the summer time. You might want to consider long pants during the summer. All the baskets are top notch and the signage is great. Almost all of the holes, if not all, have two pin positions. The A positions are very challenging with the B positions being slightly easier. All of the fairways are covered with mulched trees. The elevation changes not only make for tough holes, but also for a workout. The park is never crowded, and do not be surprised if your the only one on the course. There is a great big map of the whole course by hole 1 and it is almost always full of score cards and pencils.
Cons: It seems that the park has enough space back there to have a full eighteen, but the ten holes that are present back there right now are great. It would be nice to have a putting basket and there is room for one. There is a basket close to the parking lot, but if there is much traffic on the course than you obviously can't warm up on it. Again there really is not much room to warm up throwing or putting if there are people on the course.
Other Thoughts: All in all this is great course that really provides a challenge for players of all levels. It's great for a solitary round of disc golf, which is becoming harder and harder to come by with the growth of the sport of disc golf.

< Prev 1 2 3