Holly Hill, FL
Hollyland Park Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit   (Taken 9/2009)
Please be warned

Hope you Brought a Putter

1    9/1/2013   9/1/2013
Review By: reposado
This review was updated on 1/18/2014
Pros: Nice, fairly new baskets and serviceable tees at a small park in close proximity to the beach. Not a bad place to work with you putter and if I did go back, that's probably all that I'd bring. The majority of the holes are close to a small pond with jumping fish so the atmosphere isn't too bad either.

Hole 9 is nicely laid out, cutting across a corner of the lake to a basket that sits on a bluff sticking out over the lake. It's not a bad way to end the course and is somewhat redeeming.
Cons: But, it's nine holes that range from short to very short in a park that really didn't have the space for nine holes. There are no signs, a fact which is somewhat mitigated by the fact that you can almost always see the basket from the tee.

The first two holes are adjacent to the ball fields and suffer for that greatly. Though both are short they both manage to cross the road. From there three is in a different park. If I hadn't read here that you have to cross the railroad tracks, I would not have found the rest of the holes.

When I did found three, I didn't bother playing it. The line you need to throw crosses a few parking spaces, spaces which were occupied when I was there. The rest of the holes aren't much better, either in layout or navigation.

Just as sketchy as everyone has described.

1    12/27/2012   12/28/2012
Review By: prerube
Pros: Nice easy course for beginners. Holes 3-9 had nice scenery and wildlife.
Concrete tees and baskets in good shape.
Navigation was relatively easy even though there were several extra tee pads scattered all over the place.
Next tee signs aided flow, but playing 2 holes at one part and 7 in another is pretty odd.
Cons: The area was so shady that after playing the first 2 holes we wanted to walk back to the car and move it to the parking lot by hole 3.
There was a homeless couple sleeping in their car parked in the middle of fairway 2.
Hole 3 was one of the worst holes I have ever played. It was a pointless plinko hole with no fairway and the risk of hitting cars in the parking lot is very high.
Course was pretty short with only one option on how to play it.
Clear illegal activities occurring in broad day light really made us nervous to leave our car at this course.
Course lacked challenge. Played the entire course in under 20 minutes and was glad to leave.
Other Thoughts: There is risk of disc loss in the water, but risk is very minimal, nearly zero for most experienced players.
I think switching baskets for 5 and 8 could be one way to prevent monotony on this little course. (shooting at basket 8 from tee 5 and basket 5 from tee 8.)
Unusual amount of wildlife made course interesting; a baby racoon walked up to us on hole 6 and snuggled with my dad's disc golf bag, a rabbit ran up to my dad near the train tracks, large fish jumped from the water every few seconds, several types of birds, and we heard there may even be an alligator.
I rated this course as passable, because you can play it during the day, but it is only 9 holes and is not a course you would really want to return to frequently. I would pass on this course unless you are a course collector or only have time for a very quick round.

Wrong neck of the woods

1    5/10/2012   5/10/2012
Review By: ecuwes
Pros: Nice baskets, cool lake with lots of wildlife (bring a fishing pole if you like to fish, wish I would have), concrete pads, short game practice.
Cons: Terrible layout, not enough signs, homeless people, not long enough.
Other Thoughts: Not really a great course at all but for a quick game after hitting the beach all day then it isn't "that bad". It's 9 holes par 27. Couple tight throws but nothing crazy. Few people fishing and some big tarpon and snook in the water jumping. Guy said the lakes connect to rivers and it's salt water so it's a Lil honey hole. In the area, check it out but if you expect something nice and worth playing twice then you will be disappointed....just play and check it off your list.

UNDERRATED

1    12/23/2011   4/2/2012
Review By: Iowa420DG
Pros: NATURE - I loved the wildlife experience at this course. Although its nestled in the middle of a city neighborhood, this course is home to some neat creatures. I saw hundreds of mullets jumping in the lake and a large bald eagle perched high in the trees overlooking the feast. The lake is likely home to alligators as well.
PLAY - The course was very fair. No shots were too difficult or hazardous... a nice rarity in Florida. Hole #9 shoots over a corner of the lake; its fun and a little risky but not too difficult to accomplish.
OTHER - The people around the course were very nice. I spoke to an old man sitting on a picnic table near tee #4. He was surprised to hear we were from Iowa and playing the course. He said disc golfers appear to be a dying breed...??? I didn't quite understand, in fact I disagreed, but I take his statement as an indication that the course is underplayed. Another man who was fishing in the lake mentioned that it had been nearly 30 years since he had thrown a frisbee.
Cons: The course did a fair job of including a variety of shots within 9 holes. There are some medium-long shots, but mostly shorts. The course is completely flat, and trees only come into play on a couple holes. At least the lake helps to add some variation.
Other Thoughts: I typically shave off 1 point on my course reviews on all 9-hole courses... simply for not being a full course.

Wrong side of the tracks!

1    6/29/2011   7/11/2011
Review By: atl scott
Pros: It was over relatively quickly and I was off to resume the rest of my life.

No one on the course to slow you down.

Hole 9 was the highlight of the course. You are forced to throw slightly uphill (probably plays about 240) across a corner of the lake to a basket perched on the peninsula. It made me smile after playing the first 8 holes.

Really nice new baskets!

Concrete tees!
Cons: This course really is not only in a part of town that isn't the best but you have to cross the RR tracks to play it hence the review name.

When I pulled up I couldn't figure out where to park and saw what looked like a practice basket and parked by it in a sandy/grassy area next to the ball fields. It turns out this was the basket for hole 2 (no number on the basket). Hole 2 throws directly down the road at the entry of the park. Not a good idea and apparently completely useless if the park is being used for any reason like ball games.

I couldn't tell if the predominant terrain for this course was foot high grass or sand. They were equally prevalent.

The course was too easy for my liking, and I'm assuming most everybody elses as well. My first round I shot 9 under (unless there are par 2's?) The holes were usually short and wide open (see tiki course at the blockhouse for better design ideas) and the holes that had obstacles weren't an issue.

Hole 9 finishes about as far away from the parking area as possible which made for a frustrating walk after the round was over.
Other Thoughts: Really I think one of the biggest problems with this course is that it is too short to be enjoyed by someone who can control their shots. The player that would enjoy the shortness of the holes would not enjoy the lake/canal water running along pretty much every hole because they would likely end up in it a couple times and not be able to retrieve their discs due to the "alligators in the lake" signs.

After playing hole 2 I realized I could drive to hole 3 and park in the adjacent parking lot. This allowed me to be able to see my truck throughout the entire round and I recommend anyone playing here to do likewise!

I hated seeing such nice baskets "wasted" at this property. There are 2 other courses in town that have older baskets and it would be nice to be able to swap them.

I saw about 50 fish (from 1-2 feet long) jumping in the lake. They were either as bored as I was or were perhaps trying to jump to their freedom/death.

I also saw a bird swimming underwater only poking his neck/head out every 50 yards or so. Apparently it was an anhinga (thanks google!).
For a minute I thought it was a smaller version of the lochness monster.

Overall I would recommend playing Reed Canal a few miles away if you are looking for a fun short course or Tuscawilla a couple of miles away if you are looking for a course with water in play.

Bad Idea

1    7/30/2010   5/2/2011
Review By: bchjammer
Pros: There are none
Cons: Yes, there are probably several walking around the park every day.
Other Thoughts: It should ov never been put in the ground. You can not tee-off on hole 1 because of the cars in the parking lot that you have to throw over. There is just not enough room in this park for disc golf. The tee- pads should of been put in last, not first.

Hollyland Park

1    12/22/2010   12/23/2010
Review By: craigd
This review was updated on 12/24/2010
Pros: This is a short little 9 hole recreational course. You'll find concrete tee pads and nice Discatcher baskets. Small 4x4 posts with tee numbers lead the way and it's pretty easy to follow the course once you figure out the transition from holes one and two to hole three on the other side of the railroad tracks.

Being short has its advantages too. If you're looking for a place to introduce players or teach kids this would be a pretty good place. The course plays quickly too if you're short on time. The birdie runs are fun and the course gives generous ace opportunities too.

It looks like there's enough room to come up with some safari holes to mix things up if you are a local who's weary of the layout or in town and not able to get to any other parks and want to mix things a bit.
Cons: Having to begin in one park for the first two holes and then transition to another park for the next seven is not a terrible thing in and of itself, after all it's not that far of a walk. The issue is that the first two holes are really nothing special and it's almost not worth the trouble.

Others have mentioned that the pond has generous areas to retrieve errant shots or bad rolls. That might be true but the three signs around the pond that say, "Alligators have been seen in the lake" would be a deterrent for me to go in for a disc. To add insult to injury, the water was nasty looking. The banks from around the ninth basket stretching to the parking lot were full of trash and debris. I wouldn't suggest contacting that water for risk of some waterborne illness.

The park had an overall dirty feel to it and I just never felt like I could relax and enjoy the round. There are lots of distractions including the train that came through during the round. Of course it's blowing its horn like crazy because it's about to go through a road crossing.

Hole nine's pad has a retaining wall on the back and side and might limit those who have a big run up. There are some tee markers buried right beside some pads that could interfere with a run up and create a trip hazard too.
Other Thoughts: If you are visiting Daytona and have the time, it might be worth the trip to play while you're in town. If you strapped for time you really should try to hit the other two courses in Daytona because this really is the last resort. With that being said, if you know what to expect you can still have a good time. Enjoy!

Passable... Indeed. Pass right on by.

1    5/12/2010   9/16/2010
Review By: AJ_86
Pros: The course is very compact, lending itself to a nice, brisk nine or a quick eighteen. The effort put into the course shows in the concrete pads and good baskets. The landscaping was fine, with well trimmed grass and trimmed back underbrush.

The course is not very crowded and is a very nice little park to play in. Only light traffic going by and a very forgiving pond, with a large shallow area and clear water allowing a good chance of reclaiming a disk that happens to roll in.

The locals, including the man who helped set the course up, are extremely helpful. They gave us the course layout, which is not difficult to follow even without help, and were very happy to see new people on the course.
Cons: Short. Now, this is usually not a fault to me... I like short holes. Unfortunately, that is all this course has. Only one approached my usual driving distance of 280-300 feet and it was simply a relatively long, straight drive.

Holes one through four are throwing around the roads of the park, which causes problems on busy days when there are cars parked on the other side of the road from the fairway. A misthrown disk could easily slam into one of them.

There are extra tee pads around, as the course was redesigned at some point. Apparently it used to stretch father into the park than it does now and had more of the lake in play. A shame that it was compacted so much.
Other Thoughts: I enjoy nine hole courses. A nice short round is always a good thing. Unfortunately, this is not a particularly good nine hole course.

I understand the limitations of the land have to be taken into consideration and that this is a redesign of the original concept. However, that does not excuse the fact that the course is trying to fit nine into an area where six would be comfortable. The fact that they put roads and parking areas into play is also a problem.

All in all, I can't see any reason to play this course more than once. There is no particular challenge to it and the layout of the first few holes is a major problem. An ace or a birdie is always a nice feeling, but on a course like this, it's almost not worth bragging about.

OK for a litch and put.

1    6/14/2010   6/16/2010
Review By: Daddy_Dragon
Pros: Concrete tees. Water comes into play for bad players who can't aim.
Cons: The only thing I really did not like was that on hole #3, the parking lot came into play. There was a couple of cars that could of been hit. After I threw, I walked a head and blocked any chance of the cars being hit by the people I was playing with. Hole number one and two were separated from the rest. There are on the other side of the rail road tracks.
Other Thoughts: The baskets were so close, I never got to use my "Nuke". I had to use a mid range disk and barely throw it or I had to use a putter to make it more challenging.

Dog owners beware

2-4    2/10/2010   3/8/2010
Review By: Pollock Golfer
Pros: Conveniently to all of the locals.
Good for a short practice/warm up round before a tournament in town.
Not a lot of traffic.
Cons: A bit confusing in layout.
As previously mentioned there are extra tee pads which will serve to confuse.
Dogs are only allowed in the park where holes 3-9 are. Don't venture into holes 1-2 with your animal as the fines are steep.
Other Thoughts: Local fishing folks are always there. They cause no harm, but can be in play on errant throws on a few holes. Hole #9 is a bit tricky when the water level is high and consumes most of the green.