Effingham, IL
Effingham DGC Share
Hole #2

I had a lot of Effing Fun

1    1/16/2013   2/19/2013
Pros: 1) DGA Mach baskets with the number plate facing the tees. Rungs of the basket are painted to mark where the next tee is located.
2) Concrete tees with yellow posts to mark their location.
3) Scorecards with a map are available at the first tee along with a kiosk for more disc golf information. There is also a rules sign available for those beginners who might show up to play this course.
4) Hole #6 is a great and unique type of hole and I executed it about as well as I possibly could. I threw a 400' turnover with my new Pro Beast that I just got from a friend before this trip. It had just enough flip to turnover and go down the hill before coming back right towards the basket. I hit the 30' putt for my longest deuce ever 425'.
5) There is an extreme amount of elevation on a few holes. Some of the holes have gentle elevation change and even some flat holes. It is a nice mix of elevation change.
6) All shot shapes are required to do well on this course. There are some hyzers, some anhyzers, and some straight shots. You can use a wide assortment of shots on many of the holes but some do dictate exactly what type of shot you need to throw.
7) There is an awesome amount of distance variation here. You will need good drives, good upshots, and good recovery shots to play well here.
8) Excellent variety of foliage density with some mostly open, some moderately wooded, and a few with enough trees to force a shot.
9) Multiple tees help to make this course different for variety and also more beginner friendly.
10) The disc golf was a lot of fun, lots of different shots, lots of fun throws, and that is the biggest part in my desire to return.
11) Very large mature hardwood trees on the property make this a pretty course as well as a nice place to escape the heat in summer by playing under the shade these trees create.
Cons: 1) The biggest drawback to this course is the level of compaction and erosion happening. It is going to happen on slopes like they have here, but it is complicated by the type of soil they have.
2) There seemed to be some sketchy stairs and retaining walls here. I hate to see good courses with bad infrastructure because that means it is not sustainable. I know it is simply the standard for disc golf, but I am hoping that bar gets raised in the coming years. Just because we are a non-standard sport does not mean we do not deserve the same amount of safety and effort when it comes to how our course is played.
3) When I played there were Christmas decorations in the way. This was funny because it brought my wife and I back to our first course played (Freeman Lake Park in Elizabethtown, KY) but at the same time it shows that disc golf is not the priority. I am not asking parks to take out disc golf to have Christmas Decorations, but perhaps disc golf could be designed away from areas that are needed for this and other things.
4) There are a few places where the tees and baskets are a little close, causing both confusion and some minor safety issues. Hole #6 is a really bad spot where a disc could end up in like 3 different fairways or near tees. Safety should be a priority, and while this course is over 10 years old, I think it might have been dangerous in a few spots from the beginning.
5) Minimal benches and garbage cans available to the disc golf course, but there are options by the pavilions/bathrooms and baseball field area.
6) Walkers as well as the road running through the park housing the Christmas decorations create some safety issues for others. Some of the throws are moderately blind also, which makes it even more dangerous.
Other Thoughts: While my cons may seem strong, they do not outweigh the amount of fun I had on the course. The design was for some fun shots and good amount of challenge, unfortunately it was also a bit unsafe in a few areas. If some baskets could be re-arranged to be safer it would also take away from the fun, so it is a hard thing to recommend, while the course might suffer in fun and challenge it would be safer and thus sustainable. I prefer courses be more sustainable even at the expense of fun, challenge, beauty etc. It's hard to recommend but it is something I have to stand up for.

Good one

1    8/21/2011   8/22/2011
Review By: kylesplash
Pros: This course is setup in a nice park, the park offers plenty of hills and trees. You have a water hazard when you are playing next to the creek. Its nice that the course has concrete tee boxes. Some of the holes have long or challenging shots
Cons: Some of the hills have ruts and are washed away. You have to play over a road that cars drive on
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course, and I am looking forward to playing it again.

Improving Course

2-4    7/30/2011   8/4/2011
Review By: foo_g
Pros: Concrete tee pads have been added to every hole. Signs are still being added and updated.

There is a good bit of variety on this course. It offers a good mix of long and short holes, uphill and downhill, wooded and open, as well as blind shots. Some of the holes have been lengthened and offer a few opportunities to really let it fly off the tee. There are also several ace opportunities still available.
Cons: For a first time player, this course is probably a bit confusing. Baskets for holes 4, 5, and 7 are all in the same area. Some signs also still show the old basket locations. Consider using a spotter on hole 6.
Other Thoughts: The local club has put a lot of resources into improving this course and making it a fun place to play.