Milford, MI
Kensington Black Locust DGC Share
Uploaded By: dalenoel Hole #22 (Taken 10/2011)
Hole #22 Short Tee

Designed by a lefty?

1    5/1/2013   5/6/2013
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 5/21/2013
Pros: You will notice most of my positives have less to do with course design - it's more about the vibe of the place.

The park setting for this course magnificent and the course stands alone without any other interference.

The course is meticulously maintained and the fairways are cleanly cut and groomed. It is entirely wooded, where some holes provide fairly open, narrow fairways with wooded edges and others have trees mixed within the fairways. The holes are challenging, yet fair. There are moderate elevation changes, which was nice. Stray shots will add a degree of punishment depending how deep you go off the fairways. The flow was very good and there were dual tee pads to provide a little more challenge, if not variety (see cons).

I was playing solo on a very crowded day and everybody let me play through (there were 4 groups waiting to tee on 1, and people playing every single hole on the course.) I found the people to be very patient and friendly and I latter joined up with a friendly twosome, so I could relax and enjoy playing with the locals. There were women players in at least every other group I passed. That is great, as I've never seen so many women at a course ever - not even the tournaments I've played at! Somebody is doing something right in Michigan to promote the sport.
Cons: I will state right off that I am a dominant RH side arm thrower. I noticed immediately that there were a LOT of people throwing side arms here. As I worked my way through the course, I could see why - it seemed that at least 75% of the (first 18) holes were dogleg right. I only had time to play 18, so I cant say anything about 19-27. Why was the course so unbalanced? This frankly was a letdown for me, as it became redundant playing the same shot over and over. Despite that there was some elevation changes here, I wish that some of the pin placements had been placed on or near some of these slopes.

Crowds. I only list this as a warning if you are not patient. It makes for a long day if you are wanting to get 27 holes in.
Other Thoughts: I was told by some guys that came from Cass Benton course nearby how that course was even more crowded than this one! They said that Kensington thins crowds a bit due to its "pay to play" nature.

I would love to play 19-27 some time, as I hear its more challenging. Also, would be good to try the long tees. Finally, I played in spring before the foliage had grown in, so it was probably a little easier than normal. Combine foliage with longer tees, and I'm sure it would be a different challenging experience.

1    5/14/2010   5/14/2010
Review By: jdawg24
Pros: *27 holes
*Excellent large, concrete teepads
*Located in huge park, set off in its own area, nice wooded setting
*Easy to navigate 1st time playing
Cons: *As noted in the other reviews, the course is biased to a lefty ... not a problem for me as I have a good forehand, but if you don't, you'll notice
*It seemed like every hole was blind. Not every hole, but like 20 of 27 .... why??
*Many unlegit fairways, especially from the long tees ... no reasonable flight path. I played shorts on a lot of the holes because the shot from the longs was ridiculous. Or maybe it was supposed to be a par 4 on those ... wouldn't know as par wasn't on the sign?
*Crowds - even midweek there were lots of big, slow playing groups .... the guy i was playing with said it gets completely jammed up on nice days
Other Thoughts: This course was fun to play, but definitely not as good as expected from reading the other reviews. I wouldn't go out of my way to play unless you are in the area, as i was.

Having 27 holes is nice, but it seemed like 1-18 were crammed in pitch n putt shots with repetitive holes. Heavy schule on both sides, you can't see the basket from the teepad on most holes, and there was a long stretch of holes in the middle that were all 240' ... in short, a bit boring. I enjoyed the back 9 more, but several of the holes had ridiculous lines from the long tees that really didn't follow a realistic flight path.

Also it gets really crowded. I went middle of the week on a cold, wet day and there were 40 cars in the lot.

Erosion issues everywhere from the heavy foot traffic ... i bet it gets muddy when it's raining.