Milford, MI
Kensington Black Locust DGC Share
Uploaded By: Innovadude Hole #3 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #3 Short Tee

What I have been missing.....

1    6/19/2014   6/19/2014
Review By: mball1684
This review was updated on 7/10/2014
Pros: - Very clean & well kept up
- Challenging for the RHBH player
- Lots of birdie opportunities (But you have to execute) your shots to get them.
- It's in a beautiful metropark
- Practice basket & restrooms!
Cons: - Mosquitoes can get bad at times (Deepwoods Off!)
- Can get kinda backed-up/Busy but that's the game!
- Quite a few blind tee shots and approaches, playing alone could be tough.
Other Thoughts: Fun & challenging holes for every style of player. This course is something that I have been putting off for a while...but never again! The holes do favor a sidearm or lefty maybe 60% of the time but I don't mark it down for that. It's just that much more challenging!

Solid fun course

1    6/2/2014   6/2/2014
Review By: Moose33
Pros: Starting off beautiful park, has amazing views on the drive in and tons of other draws as well. If I could have spent the day in the park I would have.

Parking lot is large, but still pretty full. Pretty popular course it seems.

Two large port a johns near the entrance, good thing too since I pulled up Ina suit and needed to change(or be the best dressed golfer ever).

The man at the ticket booth was very knowledgeable and gave me a map and a good rundown of the course. Much appreciated from an out of towner.

The holes were quite varied with two placements for ever tee. I played mostly the longer tees except when there was a marked possibility of losing a disc( old had 3 discs in my travel bag). There were a lot of nice angles that were challenging and a lot of fun to pull out shots I don't use every day. Used some short thumbers,forehand rollers and even a jump putt. Overall quite varied and a lot of fun to play.

Locals were friendly and I got offered more beers and waters on the course than I have in any other two hour period.

One guy was grilling after his round and gave me an ear of grilled corn!

Just a great time overall.
Cons:
One of the few cons was almost every available surface was tagged, I almost wrote "stop writing on everything!" On a tee marker... But then realized that would be counterproductive.

There is a path of beer bottle caps on one hole which is cool looking, but little things like this keep it from having a pro quality aesthetic.

The only thing about the course itself was the fact that a ton of the holes end right lefties and flickers(like me) probably love this course but if you play RHBH your probably going to tire of throwing turnover shots.

Other Thoughts: A very fun course for a casual round, I had a great time playing the widely varying holes. All the different looks and nicely maintained parkland, they do a good job here.

I played in intermittent rain and it was still this good. I would recommend if your in the area trying it.

Home course

5+    10/18/2013   10/24/2013
Review By: jswoods1984
Pros: Very nice layout, good flow when it's not packed, met a lot of good people out there over the years. Gives the great opportunity to practice a variety of different shots.
Cons: Does get crowded a lot of the time. Lots of littering and again, lots of punk kids that are just there to party and don't respect the sport or the course.

giving mr righty a break tonight...ah, a stranger enters the mix...

1    4/29/2013   4/29/2013
Review By: apdrvya
Pros: Aesthetic--Grand entrance to the course! kind of a Wally's World of disc golf... area is NOT dg exclusive but the hiking trails are marked so it shouldn't be an issue.

Teepads--Gigantic. I used maybe (maybe) 1/2 of the teepad for my 6'4'' frame. these teepads had to be close to 15' long...all in great repair. brooms could/would be useful as this course is very sandy.

Teesigns- they are there but could most certainly be more descriptive of the basket placement. some locals have added comments to some of the teesigns ("far right" for example)

Navigation- pretty easy. simply follow the most clear path from the basket and you'll likely run into the next tee..

Dual pads-- most holes feature two teepads. both of which are cement. it's nice to have choice. some of the longs are INTENSE!

elevation- use of elevation here is key. the available elevation is used extremely well. Especially nice were the two shots (longs) from the top of the hill across the valley (#1 and #19).

two loop design-- nice to be able to play the original 18 and the back 9 as separate entities if you wanted to.

#27--really dug this hole. pretty sweet bomber with left fades finishing out to a elevated basket..

Variety-- some positives and some negatives here, I'll list them separately: As for types of holes there is a little of everything here, short, long, tight woods, open, bomber, uphill, down hill... great amount of this variety
Cons: Variety-- STRONGLY favors a LHBH player or someone with a very strong turnover. I am neither. I'm not downgrading this course because I didn't do well, I didn't do poorly. I'm down grading here for lack of variety. it seemed like 2/3 of all the holes finished right.

Wet- this course holds water very well and was mucky in a lot of places.

rough- From what I've heard the rough is a bear in the summer. It wasn't bad when we were there but I'm sure it's worse when the trees are full.

Length-- I understand this is a technical course but the short holes are many here. I used a mid or fairway driver 75% of the time.
Other Thoughts: Great course, pay to play keep some (but not all) the riff raff out...

Been a long time

1    4/27/2013   4/28/2013
Review By: todddarling1
Pros: Lots of variety. Wide open fields to tight fairways. Well maintained and lots of very challenging holes. There are quite a few holes that you start blind off the tee makes it fun and challenging. Also lots of right dog legs to challenge us right handed players.
Cons: Can get busy. Needs to have next tee arrows got a little turned around on the middle holes. Some dog poop on fairways. (Not the parks fault just lazy pet owners, list it as more of a warning)
Other Thoughts: I use to play the old course back in the day, this was the first I played the Black Locust. I really enjoyed it and it was nice to see a few old familiar holes and the new stuff (well new to me) was really fun to play. It's a pay course but worth it! It's only 2 bucks for the day.

Technical Delight

2-4    8/22/2012   8/22/2012
Review By: AXEMIKE
Pros: Overall the course is beautiful!
Cement tees on all holes, almost all have short tees as well.
Signs are the carved type.
Love the technical challenge on the upshot of most of the holes.
Excellent use of elevation and terrain.
Benches and picknic tables spread out throughout course.
Garbage cans @ every tee.
Friendly and helpful course rangers.
Cons: Course favors LHBH, and RHFH.
Some vandalism.
Course could use next hole signs.
Other Thoughts: Love this course played 3 days in a row with my 7 year old Grandson.

long drive destination

1    7/13/2012   7/13/2012
Review By: ZdybelT
Pros: This course is one of the more challenging courses i have played. It has a nice variety of holes and many distance and height changes within it. I live about an hour from the course but would play again. The locals are very friendly as well as the park rangers. Very beautiful and scenic with great signage and plenty of garbage cans and benches.
Cons: Confused on, he need for both short and long tees. They were only about 100 feet apart and not much more challenging. Careful of the thorns near the sides of the fairway. That could have been maintained better.
Other Thoughts: It was worth it in general and had a great time playing. Would love to see some tournaments here.

beastly

1    7/6/2012   7/7/2012
Review By: OpposableThumbs
Pros: **27 holes, seemed LHBH/RHFH dominant, a good number of holes did bend left. I would say only 4-5 of them were significantly 'out of the woods'. Everything else played into woods, or betreed copses scattered throughout fairways. Really dynamic course though, lots of different shots required to score well. I threw a handful of OH, some RHBH(I'm a RHFH/LHBH ambidextrous weirdo), needed a roller or two. No monotony here, folks!

**Pro/Am tees at most holes, otherwise suggested par varies from 3-5 for ams, and strictly 3 for pros when sharing tee pads.

**Great mix of terrain, you'll play through open field fairways, spotty trees w/ mulch/sand, hills up and down of various grades/heights, shady lush woods.

**Seating and garbage cans ABOUND! very clean course litter wise, and plenty of shady spots to rest on hot days (yesterday it was 102*, really enjoyed the picnic tables!)

**Probably because it was so hot, we only came across two other groups, one was a father/son pair who were super nice and gladly allowed my buddy and I to play through. The other dudes seemed like they were on their home course, real nice guys as well and kept their pace the rest of the way through. The Park Ranger was actually an OG too, pretty cool guy.
Cons: **We found it pretty easy to get turned around looking for the next tee. Threw backwards off of 3 across the fairway of 19, went on an abbreviated nature hike when we went the wrong way from the chains in the woods.

**Kind of akin to the last bullet, a handful of chains were hidden atop a hill. You get left with your best guess, generally "ah, must be tucked up and right" lol.. Might not be a con, just seemed like a cheap way to get a stroke out of a first-timer.

**Some of the roughs are really.. friggin.. thick. We luckily held onto all of our discs yesterday. Keep your shots straight and you'll be a happy golfer.
Other Thoughts: **It may have just been my bad luck, but I found a tick on my calf after getting a disc out of some tall grass. Luckily hadn't started to bite yet and I flicked the lil punk away, but let it be known, Kensington is in the sticks, y'all. Bring bug-spray and be vigilant about ticks, snakes (I'm sure they're out there) and other assorted oddities.

**If its warm out, go jump in the lake after your round!

Great park!

1    5/12/2012   5/18/2012
Review By: Gyro
Pros: Long cement T-pads
27 holes
Amazing park
Cons: Lots of tall grass
Majority of holes were left to right
Other Thoughts: Like others have said, you could spend a day or two just exploring the park. The place is huge and seems like a fantastic park.

It Keeps Going And Going

1    6/9/2011   6/14/2011
Review By: TalbotTrojan
Pros: These were by far the best tee pads that I have ever played on period. So nice and big. The course is 27 holes of fun with a good mix of open and tight holes. The design makes good use of the natural setting without being overly ambitious with its land use. The tee signs were very nice and it was super cool to see that there were shorter tee pads on all the holes that needed a shorter tee pad and on many other holes. The shorter pads make it more fun for better players to play with more novice players. The course gets no outside traffic and has the feel of a country club. The course is well maintained, though one would expect that with having to pay to play. It is nice that the layout basically has an 18 hole course and a 9 hole course for those who may just want to get in a quick nine holes. There are really nice score cards at the booth. The par listed on the cards is very accurate as to what one might expect to shoot. This course was not out of reason for a beginning player.
Cons: There does feel like some repeatative holes. How many times can you throw that slight left to right shot through a tight tunnel? It is a pay to play course which is always a negative if you ask me. The tee signs though very nice did not always give you a good representation of how much each hole bends. Traffic at this course has to be bad, as it was very busy in the middle of the afternoon on a Thursday when I played. The bugs on this course are really bad. Literally put on the bug spray and two holes later had to put it on again. The back 9 or last 9 are the worst for bugs by far. If you are playing in the off season you technically have to go somewhere else in the park to pay before you play.
Other Thoughts: This was a really fun course to play. I happened to like most of the longer holes on this course and was only frustrated a couple of times with the tight holes. Still the tight holes were fair. This is one of those courses that you will definately want to play though there are a few things that detract from it.