Milford, MI
Kensington Black Locust DGC Share
Uploaded By: dalenoel Hole #11 (Taken 10/2011)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Beautiful, but unforgiving

1    6/19/2016   6/19/2016
Review By: dwindacatcher
Pros: Great extra large cement tee pads. Great looking holes. Well kept and plenty of trash bins.
Cons: The overwhelming majority of shots are left to right. And not just a little. As a right you either need a very flipped disc or a forehand. This applies to tee shots and many approach shots. Many pins are tucked to the right of the green.

VERY unforgiving ruff. It's thick and there is a lot of vines and small plants to hide discs.

Mosquitoes, but what wooded course doesn't have them?
Other Thoughts: This is a great course. Bad shots are made much worse with the pin placement and underbrush, but playing a tuff course will make you better. Forces you to think differently and try new shots.

Also, remember as a metro park your state pass won't get you free parking. If you don't have a metro park pass it will be 10$ to get in plus the $3 to play.

Also, the people that play here are very nice and return discs. The counter had a stack of discs people had brought back and the disc I lost today the person actually called me. To far of a drive for me to go back to get it, but in 16 years of playing it's the first time anyone has ever called me on a lost disc.

pretty nice course

1    4/14/2016   4/14/2016
Review By: TXDiscDude
Pros: Large sized course. an 18 hole and an extra 9.
Good mix of lefty and righty shots.
Easy to Navigate.
Extra large tee pads (my favorite)
Pro shots also have tee pads
double chained baskets.
Trash cans at almost every hole.
Cons: A ton of people backed up at hole 1. Parties were about 10 people per group. So its a slow course, but was still pretty fun playing with a big mix of ppl.
Cost $3 to play which isn't bad, but $10 to park is kinda steep.
Other Thoughts: It would be cool if there was another good hole to start at other than 1 and 19.

One of my favorites

2-4    5/7/2016   3/11/2016
Review By: Poncahotas
This review was updated on 5/30/2016
Pros: This course is a very popular one in the area; and for good reason. This is solely based on the first 18 holes, I have not had a chance to play 19-27 yet.
EDIT: I went back and played through the bonus holes. They live right up to how the rest of the course plays. Really well-done, it pushed the course over the top for me and now I call it my favorite.

- Relatively clean, usually don't see trash laying around
- 2 tees for every hole
- Well maintained grounds
- Nice variety of open space vs. wooded area, as well as technical vs. distance holes. Right off the bat you're greeted with a top-of-the-hill tee that dares you to heave it straight into the valley. A few more of these longshots are split up by shorter forested holes that require meticulously-planned gap shots. Or you can just rip it and hope that luck is on your side.
Cons: - Money. It costs a pretty penny to get into the park if you don't have a state metropark pass ($10 a trip), and then $3 per person to golf for the day.
- Since it is a popular disc golf course, it can be pretty crowded sometimes. However, everyone's really chill and will let you pass no problem if you're blasting through the holes behind them.
- This field can retain water, and some spots can get pretty muddy
- The foliage gets really dense in the summer time. I spent 20 minutes looking for a disk right at the 1st hole after an errant throw, so be careful
- A lot of the holes are just gradual right curves or straight lines with a right cut at the end. It feels like it lacks creativity at times. RHBH players better be on their anhyzer game if they're planning on throwing hard drives.
Other Thoughts: Honestly this is my favorite course I've played on so far. I've only been playing for a year or so, but this course just makes for a fantastic time.

What I have been missing.....

1    6/19/2014   6/19/2014
Review By: mball1684
This review was updated on 7/10/2014
Pros: - Very clean & well kept up
- Challenging for the RHBH player
- Lots of birdie opportunities (But you have to execute) your shots to get them.
- It's in a beautiful metropark
- Practice basket & restrooms!
Cons: - Mosquitoes can get bad at times (Deepwoods Off!)
- Can get kinda backed-up/Busy but that's the game!
- Quite a few blind tee shots and approaches, playing alone could be tough.
Other Thoughts: Fun & challenging holes for every style of player. This course is something that I have been putting off for a while...but never again! The holes do favor a sidearm or lefty maybe 60% of the time but I don't mark it down for that. It's just that much more challenging!

Solid fun course

1    6/2/2014   6/2/2014
Review By: Moose33
Pros: Starting off beautiful park, has amazing views on the drive in and tons of other draws as well. If I could have spent the day in the park I would have.

Parking lot is large, but still pretty full. Pretty popular course it seems.

Two large port a johns near the entrance, good thing too since I pulled up Ina suit and needed to change(or be the best dressed golfer ever).

The man at the ticket booth was very knowledgeable and gave me a map and a good rundown of the course. Much appreciated from an out of towner.

The holes were quite varied with two placements for ever tee. I played mostly the longer tees except when there was a marked possibility of losing a disc( old had 3 discs in my travel bag). There were a lot of nice angles that were challenging and a lot of fun to pull out shots I don't use every day. Used some short thumbers,forehand rollers and even a jump putt. Overall quite varied and a lot of fun to play.

Locals were friendly and I got offered more beers and waters on the course than I have in any other two hour period.

One guy was grilling after his round and gave me an ear of grilled corn!

Just a great time overall.
Cons:
One of the few cons was almost every available surface was tagged, I almost wrote "stop writing on everything!" On a tee marker... But then realized that would be counterproductive.

There is a path of beer bottle caps on one hole which is cool looking, but little things like this keep it from having a pro quality aesthetic.

The only thing about the course itself was the fact that a ton of the holes end right lefties and flickers(like me) probably love this course but if you play RHBH your probably going to tire of throwing turnover shots.

Other Thoughts: A very fun course for a casual round, I had a great time playing the widely varying holes. All the different looks and nicely maintained parkland, they do a good job here.

I played in intermittent rain and it was still this good. I would recommend if your in the area trying it.

Home course

5+    10/18/2013   10/24/2013
Review By: jswoods1984
Pros: Very nice layout, good flow when it's not packed, met a lot of good people out there over the years. Gives the great opportunity to practice a variety of different shots.
Cons: Does get crowded a lot of the time. Lots of littering and again, lots of punk kids that are just there to party and don't respect the sport or the course.

Better than Willow, not as good as Hudson

5+    9/8/2013   9/10/2013
Review By: Trizzor
Pros: Great use of elevation changes
Long tees can really change the shot
Well maintained, like other Metroparks
The back 9 play like a different course
Cons: Often crowded, causes wait times or hole skipping
Can be very buggy in summer months
Some holes only have 1 tee
The brush can be unforgiving on some holes
Other Thoughts: Kensington is one of those courses that isn't perfect, but its hard to find something very wrong. I find myself returning here often, even though its not in my top 3 local courses.

Designed by a lefty?

1    5/1/2013   5/6/2013
Review By: forehandfranz
This review was updated on 5/21/2013
Pros: You will notice most of my positives have less to do with course design - it's more about the vibe of the place.

The park setting for this course magnificent and the course stands alone without any other interference.

The course is meticulously maintained and the fairways are cleanly cut and groomed. It is entirely wooded, where some holes provide fairly open, narrow fairways with wooded edges and others have trees mixed within the fairways. The holes are challenging, yet fair. There are moderate elevation changes, which was nice. Stray shots will add a degree of punishment depending how deep you go off the fairways. The flow was very good and there were dual tee pads to provide a little more challenge, if not variety (see cons).

I was playing solo on a very crowded day and everybody let me play through (there were 4 groups waiting to tee on 1, and people playing every single hole on the course.) I found the people to be very patient and friendly and I latter joined up with a friendly twosome, so I could relax and enjoy playing with the locals. There were women players in at least every other group I passed. That is great, as I've never seen so many women at a course ever - not even the tournaments I've played at! Somebody is doing something right in Michigan to promote the sport.
Cons: I will state right off that I am a dominant RH side arm thrower. I noticed immediately that there were a LOT of people throwing side arms here. As I worked my way through the course, I could see why - it seemed that at least 75% of the (first 18) holes were dogleg right. I only had time to play 18, so I cant say anything about 19-27. Why was the course so unbalanced? This frankly was a letdown for me, as it became redundant playing the same shot over and over. Despite that there was some elevation changes here, I wish that some of the pin placements had been placed on or near some of these slopes.

Crowds. I only list this as a warning if you are not patient. It makes for a long day if you are wanting to get 27 holes in.
Other Thoughts: I was told by some guys that came from Cass Benton course nearby how that course was even more crowded than this one! They said that Kensington thins crowds a bit due to its "pay to play" nature.

I would love to play 19-27 some time, as I hear its more challenging. Also, would be good to try the long tees. Finally, I played in spring before the foliage had grown in, so it was probably a little easier than normal. Combine foliage with longer tees, and I'm sure it would be a different challenging experience.

giving mr righty a break tonight...ah, a stranger enters the mix...

1    4/29/2013   4/29/2013
Review By: apdrvya
Pros: Aesthetic--Grand entrance to the course! kind of a Wally's World of disc golf... area is NOT dg exclusive but the hiking trails are marked so it shouldn't be an issue.

Teepads--Gigantic. I used maybe (maybe) 1/2 of the teepad for my 6'4'' frame. these teepads had to be close to 15' long...all in great repair. brooms could/would be useful as this course is very sandy.

Teesigns- they are there but could most certainly be more descriptive of the basket placement. some locals have added comments to some of the teesigns ("far right" for example)

Navigation- pretty easy. simply follow the most clear path from the basket and you'll likely run into the next tee..

Dual pads-- most holes feature two teepads. both of which are cement. it's nice to have choice. some of the longs are INTENSE!

elevation- use of elevation here is key. the available elevation is used extremely well. Especially nice were the two shots (longs) from the top of the hill across the valley (#1 and #19).

two loop design-- nice to be able to play the original 18 and the back 9 as separate entities if you wanted to.

#27--really dug this hole. pretty sweet bomber with left fades finishing out to a elevated basket..

Variety-- some positives and some negatives here, I'll list them separately: As for types of holes there is a little of everything here, short, long, tight woods, open, bomber, uphill, down hill... great amount of this variety
Cons: Variety-- STRONGLY favors a LHBH player or someone with a very strong turnover. I am neither. I'm not downgrading this course because I didn't do well, I didn't do poorly. I'm down grading here for lack of variety. it seemed like 2/3 of all the holes finished right.

Wet- this course holds water very well and was mucky in a lot of places.

rough- From what I've heard the rough is a bear in the summer. It wasn't bad when we were there but I'm sure it's worse when the trees are full.

Length-- I understand this is a technical course but the short holes are many here. I used a mid or fairway driver 75% of the time.
Other Thoughts: Great course, pay to play keep some (but not all) the riff raff out...

Been a long time

1    4/27/2013   4/28/2013
Review By: todddarling1
Pros: Lots of variety. Wide open fields to tight fairways. Well maintained and lots of very challenging holes. There are quite a few holes that you start blind off the tee makes it fun and challenging. Also lots of right dog legs to challenge us right handed players.
Cons: Can get busy. Needs to have next tee arrows got a little turned around on the middle holes. Some dog poop on fairways. (Not the parks fault just lazy pet owners, list it as more of a warning)
Other Thoughts: I use to play the old course back in the day, this was the first I played the Black Locust. I really enjoyed it and it was nice to see a few old familiar holes and the new stuff (well new to me) was really fun to play. It's a pay course but worth it! It's only 2 bucks for the day.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6