Milford, MI
Kensington Black Locust DGC Share
Uploaded By: Innovadude Hole #2 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #2 Short Tee

Classic

5+    7/9/2012   8/9/2012
Review By: mrblonde314
Pros: - Has all the essentials (cement tees / garbage cans / benches etc)
- Two practice holes
- Two starting points (Hole 1 or Back 9)
- Love the Back 9
- Kept some of the classics
Cons: - Despite two starting points, course still gets VERY crowded. Don't even try to play on 4/20 lol
- Not enough RHBH holes (The guy who re-designed it throws predominately forehand)
Other Thoughts: While I am an advocate of DG and encourage everyone I know to try it I have to say I often find a unique type of people at this course which I could do without (Groups with 10+ people, people throwing before you're clear, lots of people littering / vandalizing). I know that's almost expected at any course but it's more so at Kensington, enough to make mention of it anyway. It has to be because of the sheer amount of traffic this course gets on a daily basis you're prone to get your fair share of people who disrespect the course. But the other 99% of people who play here are fantastic.

First course I ever played (well the original) so it will always be special to me.

wish this course was closer to me

2-4    7/30/2012   8/1/2012
Review By: BearClaw
Pros: *27 holes
*short and long tees on 19 holes
*long cement tee pads
* tee signs with hole#, distance, and crude carved map of hole
*elevation changes abound
*vast space
*good flow from hole to hole
*good hole variety with more technical short holes on 1-18 and slightly longer, slightly more open holes on 19-27
*Basket for 18 sits atop a tree stump (check it out in media, I think it looks very cool)
*Most long tees add elevation to make the distance increase more manageable and fun
*Directly across park road from Martindale beach anbd all its many amenities (bathrooms, beach, water slide, seasonal snack bar, grills picnic tables, baseball diamond, and I might actually be forgetting something
*well maintained (the positive aspect of pay to play)
*more than challenging enough for most with many holes going through heavy woods but there is not much underbrush meaning that there some holes look almost impossible but can actually be quite fun (my favorite type of hole)
*Plenty picnic tables and trash cans
*The black locust tree that the course was named after is all over the course, beautiful, has tiny leaves so its leaves will not hide a disc on the fairway in the fall, and is very sparse until the top of the tree, again making many wooded holes look more difficult than they are but fun to play
*The type of flora combined with the extreme doglegs and blind baskets meant that several shots I thought were horrible turned out to be some of my better drives (I thought they faded too early but it turns out I was finding shortcuts through the black locust trees to the basket)
*vast, scenic holes
*the drive from exit 153 (Kent Lake rd) on I96 to the course is at most 5 minutes
*some welcome seclusion on certain holes and scenic views from most
Cons: *can get crowded despite being pay to play
*tons of blind tee shots (go with someone who knows the course or be prepared to make an extra trip to see the basket before throwing on these holes)
*No water holes
Other Thoughts: can't wait to play this again

long drive destination

1    7/13/2012   7/13/2012
Review By: ZdybelT
Pros: This course is one of the more challenging courses i have played. It has a nice variety of holes and many distance and height changes within it. I live about an hour from the course but would play again. The locals are very friendly as well as the park rangers. Very beautiful and scenic with great signage and plenty of garbage cans and benches.
Cons: Confused on, he need for both short and long tees. They were only about 100 feet apart and not much more challenging. Careful of the thorns near the sides of the fairway. That could have been maintained better.
Other Thoughts: It was worth it in general and had a great time playing. Would love to see some tournaments here.

beastly

1    7/6/2012   7/7/2012
Review By: OpposableThumbs
Pros: **27 holes, seemed LHBH/RHFH dominant, a good number of holes did bend left. I would say only 4-5 of them were significantly 'out of the woods'. Everything else played into woods, or betreed copses scattered throughout fairways. Really dynamic course though, lots of different shots required to score well. I threw a handful of OH, some RHBH(I'm a RHFH/LHBH ambidextrous weirdo), needed a roller or two. No monotony here, folks!

**Pro/Am tees at most holes, otherwise suggested par varies from 3-5 for ams, and strictly 3 for pros when sharing tee pads.

**Great mix of terrain, you'll play through open field fairways, spotty trees w/ mulch/sand, hills up and down of various grades/heights, shady lush woods.

**Seating and garbage cans ABOUND! very clean course litter wise, and plenty of shady spots to rest on hot days (yesterday it was 102*, really enjoyed the picnic tables!)

**Probably because it was so hot, we only came across two other groups, one was a father/son pair who were super nice and gladly allowed my buddy and I to play through. The other dudes seemed like they were on their home course, real nice guys as well and kept their pace the rest of the way through. The Park Ranger was actually an OG too, pretty cool guy.
Cons: **We found it pretty easy to get turned around looking for the next tee. Threw backwards off of 3 across the fairway of 19, went on an abbreviated nature hike when we went the wrong way from the chains in the woods.

**Kind of akin to the last bullet, a handful of chains were hidden atop a hill. You get left with your best guess, generally "ah, must be tucked up and right" lol.. Might not be a con, just seemed like a cheap way to get a stroke out of a first-timer.

**Some of the roughs are really.. friggin.. thick. We luckily held onto all of our discs yesterday. Keep your shots straight and you'll be a happy golfer.
Other Thoughts: **It may have just been my bad luck, but I found a tick on my calf after getting a disc out of some tall grass. Luckily hadn't started to bite yet and I flicked the lil punk away, but let it be known, Kensington is in the sticks, y'all. Bring bug-spray and be vigilant about ticks, snakes (I'm sure they're out there) and other assorted oddities.

**If its warm out, go jump in the lake after your round!

Flat out Enjoyable

1    5/19/2012   5/25/2012
Review By: A.Mutt
Pros: +2 sets of tees
+27 holes
+Well groomed
+"Fair" Fairways
+Beautiful Environment
+Challenging without being too daunting
Cons: +seemed like it was fairly popular and thus could get crowded.
+tee signs could be much more informative, but they were in nice condition.
Other Thoughts: I loved playing this course. I ended up here after getting the snot beat out of me at Hudson Mills Monster and this course put a smile back on my face.

Certainly not the most challenging, but that by no means it was an easy layout, especially from the longs. What it did have in spades, I thought, were fun shots. Some real nice elevation changes, a variety of bends to the fairways. I especially enjoyed the long snaking fairways of the last 9 holes.

Well worth the visit and $.

Great park!

1    5/12/2012   5/18/2012
Review By: Gyro
Pros: Long cement T-pads
27 holes
Amazing park
Cons: Lots of tall grass
Majority of holes were left to right
Other Thoughts: Like others have said, you could spend a day or two just exploring the park. The place is huge and seems like a fantastic park.

1st Time Back

1    10/4/2011   10/4/2011
Review By: dalenoel
This review was updated on 9/19/2012
Pros: Like the Tunnel the tee pads are great. Pay to play seems to allow the course to be maintained better. Have always like the defined fairways, high rough and lack of trash. The course used only some of the old Tunnel holes but did change basket placement to improve the difficulty. Most holes are left to right but not so much to not be able to make most in par.

I did like the additional 9 due to the increased length. Next time it will be better knowing exactly the basket placement.

Use of the elevation changes made up for the lack of shot types needed.

Kiosk was closed probably due to the time of year.
Cons: There was not a great variety of shots beyond a slight anhyzer followed by moderate approach and a solid put.
Other Thoughts: Wish some of the old Tunnel holes had been kept. Seems like only from 5 through some of the alternates were kept.

1    9/3/2011   9/6/2011
Review By: bradharris
Pros: The long concrete tee pads are great. They are all clean, in good shape, and long enough for any run up. In addition, most holes have two tees to provide challenge for advanced and beginner players alike.

Fairways are well maintained and fair. High scores will come from bad throws rather than unlucky tree hits.

Each hole has signage for both tees. The basic shape of the hole and it's distance are listed. It would be nice to see a little more detailed diagram, but the basic info is all there.

There is a little kiosk to pay your $2/person fee. The nice thing about this is that it stays manned. So first timers especially have a nice source of information available.

At the kiosk, there are plenty of scorecards and pencils available. The cards themselves have distances listed for each tee as well as a helpful course map on the back.
Cons: The overall design of the course lacks creativity. Most holes are mostly straight with a slight left-to-right fade at the end. This certainly rewards the RHFH and LHBH players and does not challenge a player's line shaping ability. On the same token, there are very few holes that offer multiple shot options.

Litter was a problem. On a pay-to-play course that is staffed, there could be much better cleanup done.

On the open holes, the tall grass can really eat discs. Anything off the fairway can be difficult to find if you lose track of exactly where it landed.

Next tee signs would be helpful. Although the layout is fairly intuitive, there were a couple points where we weren't sure which path to take.
Other Thoughts: Despite my complaints about the layout, I still consider this a nice course. I will certainly return next time I am in the area.

I also would like to explore more of the park. This course is on a huge park with lots to do in addition to disc golf. It would be very easy to spend an entire day here.

5+    7/24/2011   7/29/2011
Review By: CKR-JK
Pros: Great mix of every shot in your bag.
Pay to play.
Maintaind well by the park.
Best tee pads I have ever played on (long and wide).
Cons: To many casuals who trash the course and break trees, litter, and are loud.
Other Thoughts: My home course.
Only on really nice days are casuals a problem, most are courtious.

Excellent, A Lot of Fun

1    7/6/2011   7/6/2011
Review By: kw83028
Pros: Great Use of land
Great Terrain changes
Benches
Tee Signs
Garbage Cans
Nice score cards
Cons: Well over half of the holes play left to right. Other than that, I didn't really find anything to complain about.
Other Thoughts: Today was my first time playing Black Locust and I can easily say that it is the best course that I have played (10). This course offers excellent use of terrain. There are plenty of elevation changes. There was a great selection of open and tight holes. I was challenged plenty of times on the tighter holes.

It is also very nice that there are alternate tee pads for almost every hole. We played the long tees and that made for a nice long course. All 27 holes add up to just short of 10,000 feet!!

The only real negative that I found was that the majority of the holes play left to right and some seem a little repetitive. There were quite a few holes where you just flick a short forehand out 250-300, let it break to the right and post it. I think that the different terrain and different paths cut into the trees made up for it though.

I found myself using quite a few different shots to get around this course, but I can see where it might get very simplified the more that you play it.

Overall I loved it and will make plans to come down and play it as much as possible!!