Milford, MI
Kensington Black Locust DGC Share
Uploaded By: dalenoel Hole #10 (Taken 10/2011)
Hole #10 Short Tee

Beautiful more than just disc golf

1    9/15/2012   9/20/2012
Review By: apparition
This review was updated on 1/25/2013
Pros: + All tees are adequate size and thoughtful placement
+ Amateur tees for confidence building ;-)
+ Majority of the holes are challenging for RHBH/LHFH, which makes for a great skills building course
+ A wonderful mix of openness and tunnel shots
+ The back 9 has a completely different feel than the front 18 (27 holes!)
+ Two practice baskets
+ Portopotties
+ Very easy to find
+ Some scenic areas overlooking wildlife and pastures
+ Speaking of which, the most squirrels I've seen on a DG course ever!
+ Open even though there was some sort of run/walk race going on
+ Creative layout
+ Bottle cap tree design on hole # something :D
+ Holden Party Store had Westside, MVP, Lat64, Discraft, Innova, Gateway, and maybe another brand or two but I didn't notice because I fell in love with a VIP Warship, Lat64 Ruby/Diamond for my wife, and a Wizard putter for extra fun
Cons: - While the layout is creative, the course may need more signs directing you to the next hole from the basket
- There were definitely quite a few people playing here on a Saturday and not all of them were okay with playing through/letting people play through
- Not closer to me :-P
Other Thoughts: This course brought me to a whole different level. Never have I been more aware that I need to work on my RHFH or RHBH anhyzer throws. I realize now that I have a lot of work to do to get better in tough situations. I hope to one day get the distance and control over my discs that this course necessitates for getting a respectful score. I really mean it, this course was gorgeous. The layout was intuitive at times, but creative at others, which is why playing new courses is exciting. The holes threw us off a bit and by the 9th hole we were completely immersed in disc golf lusciousness. One thing that helped me a lot (since we got there before an attendant was at the booth) was taking a picture of the course map before playing. We paid after our first 18 holes and took maps and stuff, then played the back 9. Then ate lunch, then played another 18. I wish we could have played the back 9 again, but we had to head back home :-(

I will definitely come back here, I will definitely combine playing this course with the other Metroparks in south/southeast Michigan the next time I get a weekend day completely wide open. How sweet would it be to play Hudson Mills, Black Locust, and then Stony Creek?!

This course was A quality and I'm very happy it seems to do rather well, so it won't be going anywhere anytime soon. It's not a 5/5 discs in my opinion, but it's very close.

Thanks for reading!

Black Locust

1    9/15/2012   9/17/2012
Review By: preludedrew
Pros: Extremely tough, yet awesome and well made. An incredibly popular place, with 27 holes that test your game. Mix of wooded to open.
Cons: The crowds can make it difficult to golf, yet its such a prestigious course.
Other Thoughts: Incredibly well made, almost a perfect course, with great mixture of trees and placement shots.

Technical Delight

2-4    8/22/2012   8/22/2012
Review By: AXEMIKE
Pros: Overall the course is beautiful!
Cement tees on all holes, almost all have short tees as well.
Signs are the carved type.
Love the technical challenge on the upshot of most of the holes.
Excellent use of elevation and terrain.
Benches and picknic tables spread out throughout course.
Garbage cans @ every tee.
Friendly and helpful course rangers.
Cons: Course favors LHBH, and RHFH.
Some vandalism.
Course could use next hole signs.
Other Thoughts: Love this course played 3 days in a row with my 7 year old Grandson.

Classic

5+    7/9/2012   8/9/2012
Review By: mrblonde314
Pros: - Has all the essentials (cement tees / garbage cans / benches etc)
- Two practice holes
- Two starting points (Hole 1 or Back 9)
- Love the Back 9
- Kept some of the classics
Cons: - Despite two starting points, course still gets VERY crowded. Don't even try to play on 4/20 lol
- Not enough RHBH holes (The guy who re-designed it throws predominately forehand)
Other Thoughts: While I am an advocate of DG and encourage everyone I know to try it I have to say I often find a unique type of people at this course which I could do without (Groups with 10+ people, people throwing before you're clear, lots of people littering / vandalizing). I know that's almost expected at any course but it's more so at Kensington, enough to make mention of it anyway. It has to be because of the sheer amount of traffic this course gets on a daily basis you're prone to get your fair share of people who disrespect the course. But the other 99% of people who play here are fantastic.

First course I ever played (well the original) so it will always be special to me.

wish this course was closer to me

2-4    7/30/2012   8/1/2012
Review By: BearClaw
Pros: *27 holes
*short and long tees on 19 holes
*long cement tee pads
* tee signs with hole#, distance, and crude carved map of hole
*elevation changes abound
*vast space
*good flow from hole to hole
*good hole variety with more technical short holes on 1-18 and slightly longer, slightly more open holes on 19-27
*Basket for 18 sits atop a tree stump (check it out in media, I think it looks very cool)
*Most long tees add elevation to make the distance increase more manageable and fun
*Directly across park road from Martindale beach anbd all its many amenities (bathrooms, beach, water slide, seasonal snack bar, grills picnic tables, baseball diamond, and I might actually be forgetting something
*well maintained (the positive aspect of pay to play)
*more than challenging enough for most with many holes going through heavy woods but there is not much underbrush meaning that there some holes look almost impossible but can actually be quite fun (my favorite type of hole)
*Plenty picnic tables and trash cans
*The black locust tree that the course was named after is all over the course, beautiful, has tiny leaves so its leaves will not hide a disc on the fairway in the fall, and is very sparse until the top of the tree, again making many wooded holes look more difficult than they are but fun to play
*The type of flora combined with the extreme doglegs and blind baskets meant that several shots I thought were horrible turned out to be some of my better drives (I thought they faded too early but it turns out I was finding shortcuts through the black locust trees to the basket)
*vast, scenic holes
*the drive from exit 153 (Kent Lake rd) on I96 to the course is at most 5 minutes
*some welcome seclusion on certain holes and scenic views from most
Cons: *can get crowded despite being pay to play
*tons of blind tee shots (go with someone who knows the course or be prepared to make an extra trip to see the basket before throwing on these holes)
*No water holes
Other Thoughts: can't wait to play this again

long drive destination

1    7/13/2012   7/13/2012
Review By: ZdybelT
Pros: This course is one of the more challenging courses i have played. It has a nice variety of holes and many distance and height changes within it. I live about an hour from the course but would play again. The locals are very friendly as well as the park rangers. Very beautiful and scenic with great signage and plenty of garbage cans and benches.
Cons: Confused on, he need for both short and long tees. They were only about 100 feet apart and not much more challenging. Careful of the thorns near the sides of the fairway. That could have been maintained better.
Other Thoughts: It was worth it in general and had a great time playing. Would love to see some tournaments here.

beastly

1    7/6/2012   7/7/2012
Review By: OpposableThumbs
Pros: **27 holes, seemed LHBH/RHFH dominant, a good number of holes did bend left. I would say only 4-5 of them were significantly 'out of the woods'. Everything else played into woods, or betreed copses scattered throughout fairways. Really dynamic course though, lots of different shots required to score well. I threw a handful of OH, some RHBH(I'm a RHFH/LHBH ambidextrous weirdo), needed a roller or two. No monotony here, folks!

**Pro/Am tees at most holes, otherwise suggested par varies from 3-5 for ams, and strictly 3 for pros when sharing tee pads.

**Great mix of terrain, you'll play through open field fairways, spotty trees w/ mulch/sand, hills up and down of various grades/heights, shady lush woods.

**Seating and garbage cans ABOUND! very clean course litter wise, and plenty of shady spots to rest on hot days (yesterday it was 102*, really enjoyed the picnic tables!)

**Probably because it was so hot, we only came across two other groups, one was a father/son pair who were super nice and gladly allowed my buddy and I to play through. The other dudes seemed like they were on their home course, real nice guys as well and kept their pace the rest of the way through. The Park Ranger was actually an OG too, pretty cool guy.
Cons: **We found it pretty easy to get turned around looking for the next tee. Threw backwards off of 3 across the fairway of 19, went on an abbreviated nature hike when we went the wrong way from the chains in the woods.

**Kind of akin to the last bullet, a handful of chains were hidden atop a hill. You get left with your best guess, generally "ah, must be tucked up and right" lol.. Might not be a con, just seemed like a cheap way to get a stroke out of a first-timer.

**Some of the roughs are really.. friggin.. thick. We luckily held onto all of our discs yesterday. Keep your shots straight and you'll be a happy golfer.
Other Thoughts: **It may have just been my bad luck, but I found a tick on my calf after getting a disc out of some tall grass. Luckily hadn't started to bite yet and I flicked the lil punk away, but let it be known, Kensington is in the sticks, y'all. Bring bug-spray and be vigilant about ticks, snakes (I'm sure they're out there) and other assorted oddities.

**If its warm out, go jump in the lake after your round!

Flat out Enjoyable

1    5/19/2012   5/25/2012
Review By: A.Mutt
Pros: +2 sets of tees
+27 holes
+Well groomed
+"Fair" Fairways
+Beautiful Environment
+Challenging without being too daunting
Cons: +seemed like it was fairly popular and thus could get crowded.
+tee signs could be much more informative, but they were in nice condition.
Other Thoughts: I loved playing this course. I ended up here after getting the snot beat out of me at Hudson Mills Monster and this course put a smile back on my face.

Certainly not the most challenging, but that by no means it was an easy layout, especially from the longs. What it did have in spades, I thought, were fun shots. Some real nice elevation changes, a variety of bends to the fairways. I especially enjoyed the long snaking fairways of the last 9 holes.

Well worth the visit and $.

Great park!

1    5/12/2012   5/18/2012
Review By: Gyro
Pros: Long cement T-pads
27 holes
Amazing park
Cons: Lots of tall grass
Majority of holes were left to right
Other Thoughts: Like others have said, you could spend a day or two just exploring the park. The place is huge and seems like a fantastic park.

1st Time Back

1    10/4/2011   10/4/2011
Review By: dalenoel
This review was updated on 9/19/2012
Pros: Like the Tunnel the tee pads are great. Pay to play seems to allow the course to be maintained better. Have always like the defined fairways, high rough and lack of trash. The course used only some of the old Tunnel holes but did change basket placement to improve the difficulty. Most holes are left to right but not so much to not be able to make most in par.

I did like the additional 9 due to the increased length. Next time it will be better knowing exactly the basket placement.

Use of the elevation changes made up for the lack of shot types needed.

Kiosk was closed probably due to the time of year.
Cons: There was not a great variety of shots beyond a slight anhyzer followed by moderate approach and a solid put.
Other Thoughts: Wish some of the old Tunnel holes had been kept. Seems like only from 5 through some of the alternates were kept.